Guest guest36187

Thanks Angie, and enjoy Devon, lovely countryside. And then you'll be on your way too before you know it. See you "downunder"......ha ha! Val x

Isn't it just sooooo exciting?

We've been supporting & learning from each other for over 15 months now....almost close buddies....and it's all happening for our gang right now.

For those on rung 1 , you'll gain so many friends before too long!

Just watched a pod of 10 dolphins from our balcony just one hour ago. Magical! Couldn't belie our eyes.

Good luck.

John & Eirian

Hi Moira,

I thought about you when DIAC wrote and told me they won't accept my cheque. It seems that their definition of a "bank cheque" is the same as our "bank drafts" or "bankers order". In other words, a cheque which is issued by your branch.

Unfortunately, my daughter has no authorisation for our ANZ account and so she can't do the transaction and we can only spend $10,000 per day. I spoke to the manager today and she has caved in to my pleas and will allow my daughter to collect the "bank cheque" from her local ANZ branch provided she takes her passport and some stuff with her address printed on (utility bills etc). I have had to send the bank a scanned copy of my passport, my daughters passport and the invoice from DIAC along with a letter confirming that I give my permission to allow her to collect it.

Does your son/daughter have access to your account? If so, you will probably be ok. If not, check to see what your daily limit is. Ours was only $1000 per day but we upped it to $10,000 ages ago but it took a week for it to show online. I could have moved $10,000 per day to my daughters account until the £32,010 was in her account BUT she banks with ING and has no branch and we havent the time to wait for her bank to post it out to her.

If you start making your arrangements now, you wont be stuck like us when the time comes. How long do you think it will be before you have to pay for your visa?

DIAC have let me have a bit more time to get the cheque to them but it will probably get there by the end of next week.

Hope I've made sense of it all to you.

Good luck with yours, Val x

Hi Val

What a parlava all to give them a shed load of money. I did up my daily amount to $10 000 a week or so ago, after reading something on this site. I never thought to give d-i-l or son access to my account. Do you think they would accept a bank cheque from one of their accounts? - I could start putting the money over now,

I am hoping for a case officer any moment now. Have been waiting 14mths now although it does seem to have gone quickly. I am leaving work on the 26 of this month and have booked the shippers for the 22 Oct, I think my things will have to go in storage for a while as I wont have my visa by then. I will stay with a friend for the last month

Look forward to hearing what happens with you

Moira

Hi Val

What a parlava all to give them a shed load of money. I did up my daily amount to $10 000 a week or so ago, after reading something on this site. I never thought to give d-i-l or son access to my account. Do you think they would accept a bank cheque from one of their accounts? - I could start putting the money over now,

I am hoping for a case officer any moment now. Have been waiting 14mths now although it does seem to have gone quickly. I am leaving work on the 26 of this month and have booked the shippers for the 22 Oct, I think my things will have to go in storage for a while as I wont have my visa by then. I will stay with a friend for the last month

Moira

Hi Moira, Your'e right, it is a palava! If you haven't yet got your CO, I would contact your ANZ branch and ask them to send you the forms to allow another signatory on your account. Or, there is a branch in London who might send you the forms - number is 0203 2292436, have a chat to them and see what they say. I wished I'd have thought of that for our visa now!

At least you can be doing something which will save time while you wait for your CO.

Let us know how you get on!

Regeards, Val x

Hi Moira, Your'e right, it is a palava! If you haven't yet got your CO, I would contact your ANZ branch and ask them to send you the forms to allow another signatory on your account. Or, there is a branch in London who might send you the forms - number is 0203 2292436, have a chat to them and see what they say. I wished I'd have thought of that for our visa now!

At least you can be doing something which will save time while you wait for your CO.

Regeards, Val x

Thanks Val I will

Regeards, Val x

Hi Val

I phoned the London office and she said they are always getting this problem (no help to me) She suggested phoning Oz and see if they would email me a form to me. Telephoned Oz and they dont send out a form for this I would have to go to the branch and he could give me the phone no of the Mentone Branch. Then he said that if the money is in my account I cann pay with my Visa debit card!!! So I guess thats the way I will go and I hope he is right.

Is this exciting or what!

wishing you well Moira

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Hi Moira

I notice you say you will not be able to ship your goods unless you have your visa. Are they very strict about that - I ask as I was going to ship my stuff over next summer - and probably won't have visa granted - was going to go on tourist visa and await PR grant. This of course all depends on how fast the house sells. Wondering if it would be possible to ship my stuff over under my daughters name as it will all be going to her address anyway. Any advice appreciated.

Cath

Hi Moira

I notice you say you will not be able to ship your goods unless you have your visa. Are they very strict about that - I ask as I was going to ship my stuff over next summer - and probably won't have visa granted - was going to go on tourist visa and await PR grant. This of course all depends on how fast the house sells. Wondering if it would be possible to ship my stuff over under my daughters name as it will all be going to her address anyway. Any advice appreciated.

Cath

Hallo Cath

Yes they said they cant ship itt - I think they need a certain number. But contact Caroline at John Masons - I found her very helpful. She found out about whether I could ship homeopathic remedies and the restrictions etc and I hadnt even booked them just enquired.

That is something about this site - questions come up that you didnt realise. I dont think I could have done this without an agent if I hadnt found this site, although I dont think I would have felt the same support from an agent and that is something else money cant buy.

Let me know how you get on

Moira

Hi, I'm hoping to get a CO soon and then get my 173 temporary visa. With the 23kg restriction on the cheapest flight, I knew i would be stuck with over weight levies so I contact some shipping agents and got quotes of around 350 euros. I'm Irish so am a blow in on this site !! After searching on the internet I have found that the Irish Postal system will allow a parcel of up to 20kgs weight for 60euros for postal to Australia and it only takes 7/10 days. Such a bargain, so just wondering if any of you that are not sending your household goods, if you might be able to get the same deal from the Royal Mail. Watching the progress tracker like a hawk these days.

Fran.

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Quote (Yes they said they cant ship itt - I think they need a certain number. But contact Caroline at John Masons - I found her very helpful. She found out about whether I could ship homeopathic remedies and the restrictions etc and I hadnt even booked them just enquired.

That is something about this site - questions come up that you didnt realise. I dont think I could have done this without an agent if I hadnt found this site, although I dont think I would have felt the same support from an agent and that is something else money cant buy.

Let me know how you get on) Quote

Thanks for that Moira - I will make enquiries. This is a great site and I am getting to know everyone. There is always something that comes up and I am sure we are all the same - running through things every day so its great to have somewhere to turn to for advice. Cath

Edited by Cathwotherspoon

Hi Zumsor

Like some of the others who've replied, I'm single and 61 and I've now been in Sydney for 12 months. Everything has gone really well-I actually got a full time job really easily which has helped the finances but even without that I reckon I would manage. I considered bringing my car-it would have cost about £4000 to bring-but didn't. I bought a new car here on a special deal..new cars are relatively cheap strangely. I think its a close thing whether to ship or not..there's a thread about it on this forum.

Good luck and don't worry about being on your own-there's loads of opportunities to join things here depending on your interests and you'll soon meet people!

fiz

Edited by fiz

Hi Val

Moira

Hi Moira,

We had exactly the same problem with Commonwealth Bank, despite having an Internet transfer limit of $100,000

finally,we got them to do a bank cheque to pay the bill.

They needed a hand-written letter of authority!

Do it now to get "the ducks in a line, mate"

Good luck.

John

ate

Hi Moira

Cath

No re.al idea, Kath, but our shipping company, Letton Percival, needed our 143 visa number as part of The bumph they wanted before packing our sTuff.

S'pose this is understandable, really.

.would be am massive par lava if a container beached in Sydney with no visa at all?

Good luck.

John

Hi Zumsor

Like some of the others who've replied, I'm single and 61 and I've now been in Sydney for 12 months. Everything has gone really well-I actually got a full time job really easily which has helped the finances but even without that I reckon I would manage. I considered bringing my car-it would have cost about £4000 to bring-but didn't. I bought a new car here on a special deal..new cars are relatively cheap strangely. I think its a close thing whether to ship or not..there's a thread about it on this forum.

Good luck and don't worry about being on your own-there's loads of opportunities to join things here depending on your interests and you'll soon meet people!

fiz

Positive, positive, positive ...as always...

John &Eirian

Hi Moira

Cath

Australia charges GST on imports so without a Visa your household goods would attract heavy tax penalities - that is probably the reason why you are being told you cannot ship without a Visa. Once you have a Visa, your household goods can be imported without attracting tax, unless there are some specified items onboard like alcohol. That would also be the reason why the shippers and insurers need your Visa number.

Good luck with it all. Gill

Flying tonight with Singapore Airlines take off 10.05! Saying our goodbyes is so difficult. Will let you know how we get on when back on line in a few days! Australia here we come!!!!!!

Val and Matt xxxxxxx

Safe journey you two! I feel quite emotional too!

Val x

Flying tonight with Singapore Airlines take off 10.05! Saying our goodbyes is so difficult. Will let you know how we get on when back on line in a few days! Australia here we come!!!!!!

Val and Matt xxxxxxx

How exciting!

Bon voyage, and wishing you the joys of your life ahead.

Pure pleasure, I assure you. We've been here one week and I can't stop grinning with the pure pleasure of being here. Everything seems so easy!

Great daysahea.

John &Eirian

Val and Matt xxxxxxx

Have a wonderful flight....and also a fantastic time in Oz, have enjoyed reading your posts and hopefully will continue to do so....safe trip

Tab x

sorry was supposed to say `life in Oz `!!!

Edited by tabitha10

Val and Matt xxxxxxx

Safe journey to you both. Can't quite believe this day has finally arrived! See you very soon in Oz! Angie and Ted xx

Val and Matt xxxxxxx

Safe journey and good luck on your future in OZ , not that you will need it. It's been lovely reading all your posts these last few weeks. Must be a lovely feeling to have the visa process behind you. Australia here you come !! Yay.....:smile:

Val and Matt xxxxxxx

Enjoy the flight!

It was a strange feeling knowing that we only had a one way ticket! We flew with singapore airlines too.

We have been here almost 2 weeks.

Its lovely seeing the grandchildren and we have found out that we will be having another addition to the family next March!

Please keep in touch. Its been lovely reading all the mails!

Nutmeg xxx

Enjoy the flight!

It was a strange feeling knowing that we only had a one way ticket! We flew with singapore airlines too.

We have been here almost 2 weeks.

Its lovely seeing the grandchildren and we have found out that we will be having another addition to the family next March!

Please keep in touch. Its been lovely reading all the mails!

Nutmeg xxx

So tender & sweet.

All the poignancy of family re-uniting in this glorious space.

Have a great life down under with your family. Joyful times ahead!

John &Eirian

This is the timescales we were given:

Month 1 - preliminary enquiries, form filling etc.

Month 2 - DIAC application reviewed and lodged by our agent (acknowledged 1 month to 6 weeks later)

Month 20 - CO - health and character checks requested

Month 22 - Assurance of Support Bond requested

Month 23 - DIAC final Visa charge requested

Month 24 - Visa granted

Pessimistic, me thinks.

We first applied at the end of Feb 2011 and got our final visa assurance email end June 2012 (16 months?)

Can give you more exact dates if you want.

Good luck.

J& Eirian