Guest guest36187

I am a midwife (over 50)here in Oz on a 457 visa. My recent application for PR has been refused, because Australia wants a "young skilled workforce", despite the fact that there is a nursing shortage of between 80,000 and 147,000.

We have both our children here and are therefore considering applying for a Contributory Parent Sponsored visa(or going home)

We have some friends who are in a similar situation. The husband was also refused a permanent visa due to his age. His skill is also rare. They have appealed, but don't hold out much hope. You say your son won't have 2 years of PR until May 2013. What about the other child - would they be able to sponsor you? The wait for the CPV is around 14 months at the moment I believe. I am sure others can advise about applying early. I do know some people have done it but I also know some have had their visas refused.

Edited by Linday

Hi MKF,

That sounds so awful!

Linday mentioned friends appealing against the decision and I just wondered how long that appeal might take.

If you were to appeal and it take 6 months or so (I really have no idea) that would then take you to May 2013?????

I hope I haven't missed something, but maybe worth a try??????????

Cheers Pam

Hi

Does anyone know if DIAC take a debit card for the final payment. I telephone ANZ Bank and they said I could pay that amount on a debit card?

MKF - I hope you are able to sort something. Seems so unfair.

Best wishes Moira

Hi Moira,

If its an ANZ card, check to see if it is a proper debit card. Mine is only an "access advantage" card and has just 15 numbers across the middle instead of 16. It can only be used at ATMs and Eftpos machines in shops. They tend not to give you a proper debit card until you are resident. At least thats what my branch told me.

Hope yours is alright, Val x

We have applied for contributory parent visa, and been told that they are just waiting on medical reports to be processed, that was over 4 weeks ago, was told they would be processed within 3 weeks. They did request further medical reports from my consultant which they had over 4 weeks ago, this apparently is only thing holding up visa, anyone else had a similar problem?

Guest alliebarbar

Hi

I don't really understand the ' sticky' thread idea so Im going to post this question in two places if that's ok?

I'm looking into if my parents can get the contributory parent VISA. But my dad has an ICD implantable cardioverter-defibrillator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implantable_cardioverter-defibrillator which is like a pacemaker.

Im worried he wont pass the health restrictions.

I have read that people with cancer and HIV and needed transplants wont get in but Im not sure about the ICDs.

Does anyone know, or know how I can find out?

Thank you

xx

Just attempted to lodge my parents 173 visa application at the Perth immigration centre - was turned away and told I had to post or courier it to them. I asked why I couldn't be a courier as it would be the same as them dropping it off to me dropping it off and she just said no. Had to go round the corner to the post office and post it to them from there - seemed pretty stupid to me!!

Anyhoo, after around six months of sorting out all the relevant documents and information, and waiting until August as we figured that would be our best shot (Brother been here since Nov 2009, 457 in August 2010 and PR in March 2011) it is now finally on it's way!!!

Hi

Does anyone know if DIAC take a debit card for the final payment. I telephone ANZ Bank and they said I could pay that amount on a debit card?

MKF - I hope you are able to sort something. Seems so unfair.

Best wishes Moira

No, Moira.

They are happy with an Australian personal cheque or a Bankers letter (draft) only.

We established this with DIAC when we paid our 2nd VAC.

John & Eirian

I am glad I asked, just checked and I have a debit card but no cheque book, which I have just asked them to send to me.

Thanks

Moira Ruth

No, Moira.

They are happy with an Australian personal cheque or a Bankers letter (draft) only.

John & Eirian

No, Moira.

John & Eirian

We have received our letter requesting the 2nd VAC last week and the only two options they give are to pay by Credit Card or Bank Cheque/Draft. In big bold letters it specifies "PLEASE DO NOT PAY BY PERSONAL CHEQUE OR BY CASH". We have transferred the monies to our son's bank and he will have the Bank Draft made up and then post it to Perth.

Val x

W

We have received our letter requesting the 2nd VAC last week and the only two options they give are to pay by Credit Card or Bank Cheque/Draft. In big bold letters it specifies "PLEASE DO NOT PAY BY PERSONAL CHEQUE OR BY CASH". We have transferred the monies to our son's bank and he will have the Bank Draft made up and then post it to Perth.

Val x

Wow who pays by cash!

Thanks for that I will have to transfer the money to my sons account

Moira

Hi,

I have a biventricular pacemaker and I have recently been granted 173 visa. Can't say how they'll view an ICD but think it will probably depend on how well your dad is generally i.e. has he needed hospital admissions etc.

Hope they will look at it positively. I'm just about to apply for CPV 143 so I have to be optimistic too.

Good luck

Grammie

No, Moira.

John & Eirian

I was filled with optimism when I read this reply from John & Eirian as I've just received my ANZ cheque book and thought I could just write one for the final VAC and send it to Perth. Now Val & Matt are saying that DIAC told them that personal cheques (and cash) would not be acceptable.

Anybody else think that DIAC are making up the rules as they go along these days?

Its been 7 weeks now since my daughter arranged the AoS. Centrelink have sent confirmation to DIAC and they tell me they will let me know if they need anything further from me. I thought that the final VAC request came hot on the heels of the AoS............I don't understand why they only gave us 28 days to sort AoS then they don't bother to go any further. Crazy!

I'm having a glass of wine now - sod the blood pressure! Val x

Hi,

I have a biventricular pacemaker and I have recently been granted 173 visa. Can't say how they'll view an ICD but think it will probably depend on how well your dad is generally i.e. has he needed hospital admissions etc.

Hope they will look at it positively. I'm just about to apply for CPV 143 so I have to be optimistic too.

Good luck

Grammie

Hi Grammie, hope you don't mind me asking but how long did it take for you to be granted a CO for the 173 visa. Hope all goes well for you.

Hello everyone,i have a few questions and hope to pick someones brain, first iam have trouble getting my head around all the different visa's as everybody uses numbers, and some parents seem to be in aus before they apply for there visa, so my first question of about a million is,could we go over on a 1yr visa then apply for a temporary parent visa, and then apply for permenent parent visa, while still staying in aus for all that time,we have 1daughter/ son in law out there on a permant visa have there her own house children at school, working, been there 4yrs another daughter/son inlaw in the middle of the process to go permenent ,so we would meet the child ratio requirement,if any one knows the answer we would be very grateful. many thanks

I've just tried a few searches and didn't come up with anything, but can anyone tell me how to get the CPV 143 inserted into your passport before going over? Can't get through to the High Commission on the phone either.

Thanks!

G'day mate! (just practising!)

You need to send your passport with a copy of the letter informing you of the visa grant to the visas and immi dept of Australia House. Note they won't accept over-the-counter delivery, so we had to send it by Reg Post from the post office just over on the other side of The Strand! Durr!

Enclose a prepaid return envelope – we used one of the silver express ones bought from the same PO. Hell, what's an extra few quid after paying the VACs?! And best keep a copy of the return envelope ref no so you can track it online.

Best, mike

Hello everyone,i have a few questions and hope to pick someones brain, first iam have trouble getting my head around all the different visa's as everybody uses numbers, and some parents seem to be in aus before they apply for there visa, so my first question of about a million is,could we go over on a 1yr visa then apply for a temporary parent visa, and then apply for permenent parent visa, while still staying in aus for all that time,we have 1daughter/ son in law out there on a permant visa have there her own house children at school, working, been there 4yrs another daughter/son inlaw in the middle of the process to go permenent ,so we would meet the child ratio requirement,if any one knows the answer we would be very grateful. many thanks

G'day Jane

1. You can only use the trick of applying for a parent visa while on a visitor's visa if the visitors visa does not include the condition "No further stay" – which it usually does if you are on a one-year visitor's visa.

2. There would be on problem applying for a temp (or, for that matter, permanent) parent visa while still overseas (in UK/wherever) and then visiting your offspring on visitor's visas – if necessary, hopping over to NZ or Singapore and then returning, in order to re-validate the visitor's visa. (Eg, the online electronic ETA visa is valid for 12 months, but only allows 3-month stays, so you would have to leave Oz and return before the 3-month expiry.) The other thing to watch is that you have to be out of Australia when the parent visa is actually issued – if given due warning, the Parent Visa Centre will normally give you suitable notice when things are "ripening" so that you can similarly skip off to NZ/wherever.

3. As for numbers, the main ones used on this thread are 143 (permanent) and 173 (temporary for 2 years but then convertible into a 143 without much further formality) – both Contributory (and pretty expensive – reckon on a total of $A75,000+ for two people). These are granted (providing you pass all the tests, medicals, etc, etc) relatively quickly – reckon on 14–18 months. Far, far cheaper are the non-contributory versions, but these take far, far longer – perhaps as much as 20 years.

For more information, essential reading is the Immigration Dept's Booklet 3 (see http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm). It'll take some time to digest – and probably need several readings!

Also extremely useful is the site run by a member of this forum at http://www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker.php which includes some condensed general information on parent visas and also a timeline so you can check and compare other peoples' and your own progress.

Good luck, Mike

G'day mate! (just practising!)

You need to send your passport with a copy of the letter informing you of the visa grant to the visas and immi dept of Australia House. Note they won't accept over-the-counter delivery, so we had to send it by Reg Post from the post office just over on the other side of The Strand! Durr!

Enclose a prepaid return envelope – we used one of the silver express ones bought from the same PO. Hell, what's an extra few quid after paying the VACs?! And best keep a copy of the return envelope ref no so you can track it online.

Best, mike

Thanks!

I was filled with optimism when I read this reply from John & Eirian as I've just received my ANZ cheque book and thought I could just write one for the final VAC and send it to Perth. Now Val & Matt are saying that DIAC told them that personal cheques (and cash) would not be acceptable.

Anybody else think that DIAC are making up the rules as they go along these days?

Its been 7 weeks now since my daughter arranged the AoS. Centrelink have sent confirmation to DIAC and they tell me they will let me know if they need anything further from me. I thought that the final VAC request came hot on the heels of the AoS............I don't understand why they only gave us 28 days to sort AoS then they don't bother to go any further. Crazy!

I'm having a glass of wine now - sod the blood pressure! Val x

Ha Ha! Seriously though it's just so frustrating Val. We are the same - it went mad for a while when we submitted eveything and now we are waiting, waiting, waiting zzzzzz. I know we have been allocated a CO but he hasn't contacted us directly. We have tried to find out if they need anything else from us but we just get the standard email reply referring us to the website argh!! I'm joining you with that glass of wine!!! Cheers!! ::cute: Angie x

I'm joining you with that glass of wine!!! Cheers!! ::cute: Angie x

I have no excuse or reason, but I'm joining you with the glass of wine! Cheers ladies!!

Actually the fact we have had the grandchildren from 7.30 this morning could have something to do with it???????????

Edited by Stellathedog