Guest guest36187

My parents are thinking of taking redundancy with my dads work and coming over on a tourist visa whilst they wait for the grant of their 173 visa (they know they'd have to leave the country for it to be granted).

Has anyone else done this?

They thought they'd be able to ship their cars and belongings, but I have a feeling you actually need some kind of visa before you can do this sort of thing - am I right?

My parents are thinking of taking redundancy with my dads work and coming over on a tourist visa whilst they wait for the grant of their 173 visa (they know they'd have to leave the country for it to be granted).

They thought they'd be able to ship their cars and belongings, but I have a feeling you actually need some kind of visa before you can do this sort of thing - am I right?

G'Day

1. Yes – in fact DIAC in Perth (where 173s and 143s are processed) once told me that it is quite common. So long as your parents keep in close touch with their Case Officer (easier said than done, perhaps, as you'll see from my recent posts on this thread), they can be warned when the visas are about to be granted, so that they can scoot off to Singapore or wherever for the actual grant, then return to Oz for the visas to be activated.

Of course, timing can be tricky – if they travel to Oz on a tourist visa that expires before their 173 application is processed, they will have to leave the country again to renew it (if, as is very common, the tourist visa has a "no further stay" condition attached). Also, I see that your own residency in Oz is quite short – one of the conditions for a 173 is that you (as offspring/sponsor) have to be "settled" – usually meaning two years' permanent residency (normally I believe at the time the application is lodged). It can be shorter if you have clear evidence that you are "settled" – eg, permanent job, property, car, etc, etc – but it's difficult to pin DIAC down on this. I suggest you do a search or read-through of this thread for more info/experiences. Or even give DIAC a call.

In take it the "balance of family" test is OK – ie, at least half their offspring live in Oz?

2. Again, I'm not sure – we shipped out a certain amount of household stuff when we downsized in London and bought a unit in Sydney. At that point we were travelling only on tourist visas. But they might get a bit shirty if your parents wanted to move lock, stock and barrel. I suggest they contact a shipping agent in the UK (we used PSS) for a bit of advice.

Cars are another whole ballgame. We decided against shipping our elderly but low-milage Beemer when we found out all the ancillary costs and complications on top of the c.£1200 shipping cost. Have a look at http://ironladyimports.com/ or email craig@ironladyimports.com; and also a thread on this forum: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know.html.

Good luck, Mike

Also, I see that your own residency in Oz is quite short – one of the conditions for a 173 is that you (as offspring/sponsor) have to be "settled" – usually meaning two years' permanent residency (normally I believe at the time the application is lodged). It can be shorter if you have clear evidence that you are "settled" – eg, permanent job, property, car, etc, etc – but it's difficult to pin DIAC down on this. I suggest you do a search or read-through of this thread for more info/experiences. Or even give DIAC a call.

In take it the "balance of family" test is OK – ie, at least half their offspring live in Oz?

Hi Mike

Thanks for coming back to me, sorry, my timeline always throws people off when I talk about my parents coming over! My brother is the main sponsor, he's been here since 2009. There are three of us kids, all actually living in Perth now, two of us on PR the other on a student visa :biggrin:

Hi Mike

Thanks for coming back to me, sorry, my timeline always throws people off when I talk about my parents coming over! My brother is the main sponsor, he's been here since 2009. There are three of us kids, all actually living in Perth now, two of us on PR the other on a student visa :biggrin:

Sounds good!

Mike

We used John Mason and we had to provide evidence of our 173 visa to them in order to ship our goods. Not sure if all companies are the same.

Guest guest72525

My parents have applied for a 143, not a 173, having sold everything and come over. They were planning to apply for on shore aged CPV but discovered when they arrived that my dad had a no further stay clause on his tourist visa, and my mom hasn't!! So they did the quick trip to Bali while I lodged their 143 application. The plan is that they will have to have a few trips to Bali and South Africa as their tourist visas are only valid for 3 months. It is very unsettling all round but they're doing it that way.

They have brought over a couple of boxes of stuff but most of their furniture is in storage in our home country (South Africa).

Hi Angie,

I have been getting lots of info from this website. My husband and me are also going to Brisbane on 143 visa. We are just in the process of arranging AOS payment. I am starting to feel a little wobbly too now that it is getting close to us actually going!

It won't be easy saying goodbye to family and friends!

Regards

Nutmeg.

Hi Nutmeg. It's good to know we're not alone in all of this! Looks like you are at the same stage of the process as us. Nearly there now!!! Angie

Guest nutmeg
Hi Nutmeg. It's good to know we're not alone in all of this! Looks like you are at the same stage of the process as us. Nearly there now!!! Angie

Hi Angie,

Thanks for your reply. We sent the AOS money via moneycorp yesterday to our daughter. We are hoping she will be able to sort before the deadline of 2nd Aug. After this date we weill have to re apply and submit all of the forms again!

We move out of our house in a weeks time. We were lucky enough to sell.

WE will be staying with our daughter on the sunshine coast when we get there. We also have another daughter in Brisbane city.

Please keep me posted on how you are getting on. Its nice to know that its not just me that's on this roller coaster ride!

Nutmeg

Hi Angie,

Thanks for your reply. We sent the AOS money via moneycorp yesterday to our daughter. We are hoping she will be able to sort before the deadline of 2nd Aug. After this date we weill have to re apply and submit all of the forms again!

WE will be staying with our daughter on the sunshine coast when we get there. We also have another daughter in Brisbane city.

Please keep me posted on how you are getting on. Its nice to know that its not just me that's on this roller coaster ride!

Nutmeg

Hi Nutmeg,

Sorry to interfere but your deadline can be extended by simply emailing Perth and asking. Centrelink in Brisbane took from May until earlier this month to process our daughter as our assurer. The parent visa centre are aware that Centrelink can be a bit slow.

As long as you keep them imformed of any potential delays there won't be any need to re-apply so rest easy.

All the best,

Val x

Guest nutmeg
Hi Nutmeg,

Sorry to interfere but your deadline can be extended by simply emailing Perth and asking. Centrelink in Brisbane took from May until earlier this month to process our daughter as our assurer. The parent visa centre are aware that Centrelink can be a bit slow.

As long as you keep them imformed of any potential delays there won't be any need to re-apply so rest easy.

All the best,

Val x

Hi Val,

My daughter has been given an extension already as the orig cut off date was 17th July but we couldn't trans the money then as we were waiting for contracts to exchange on our house (just to be sure). My daughter contacted them at the time and was told not a problem, they would extend it until 6th Aug. Then after that date we would have to re apply again.

My daughter phoned them today to let them know that money is on the way to her. She was advised that the cut off date is now 2nd Aug with no more extension of time allowed!

Nice to chat to you Val by the way.

Regards. Nutmeg

Hi Val,

My daughter has been given an extension already as the orig cut off date was 17th July but we couldn't trans the money then as we were waiting for contracts to exchange on our house (just to be sure). My daughter contacted them at the time and was told not a problem, they would extend it until 6th Aug. Then after that date we would have to re apply again.

My daughter phoned them today to let them know that money is on the way to her. She was advised that the cut off date is now 2nd Aug with no more extension of time allowed!

Nice to chat to you Val by the way.

Regards. Nutmeg

Hi again Nutmeg,

Wow, that seems very harsh! I hope that Centrelink will pull out all the stops and get it all sorted for you asap. If you dont meet your deadline, does that mean that you will have to begin the whole process again, ie do the 14 month wait?

I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for you - good luck and do let us know how you get on next week.

Best wishes, Val x

Hi Angie,

Nutmeg

I agree with Val (vava) this does seem very harsh. I didn't realise Perth were so strict. Surely they can't expect you to go through the whole process again - that would be just dreadful! All the best for next week. I'm sure it will be okay! Angie x

Guest sujon1626

I am Azad Ahmed from Bangladesh. I haveaustralian PR and MY wife is in Bangladesh. WE are married for 7 years & we have a 12 month old daughter. I got my PR June 2012 &now I will apply to get my partner in Australia. So I just need to apply, there will not be anycomplexity on this.

Issue is we are two bothers & One sister.Sister lives in UK & we brothers are AUS. Brother is AUS Citizen & Igot PR Recently. My father passed away.

In Bangladesh my wife is looking after my mom whois her Mother in Law. So now when my wife applies can she put my mom as dependentrelative in her application?

Hi Nutmeg,

All the best,

Val x

Spot on!

John & Eirian

Oops, sorry!

I hadn't read the rest of the responses to your mail, Vava.

It seems very harsh indeed to ask you to re-start the process. Maybe try ringing Perth and asking to speak to one of the CO supervisors? They prefer a direct approach from our experiences.

Good luck.

John & Eirian

Hey John and Eirian

Really looking forward to meeting up again in the Spring. We are both well and happy and enjoying the lovely Northern Beaches! Rachel is waiting on tenterhooks for her Parents to hear from their Case Officer.

See you very soon

Marian and Ian

Yes, we're getting more excited by the day now.

The middle/end of September just can't come quick enough. Sounds like there will be another get-together before Xmas. Mike & Sue and Fiz are already up for it, I know.

Please tell Rachel to give her parents to contact us directly if they want to chat over any problems/issues.

See ya later!

John & Eirian

Guest nutmeg
Hi again Nutmeg,

Wow, that seems very harsh! I hope that Centrelink will pull out all the stops and get it all sorted for you asap. If you dont meet your deadline, does that mean that you will have to begin the whole process again, ie do the 14 month wait?

I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for you - good luck and do let us know how you get on next week.

Best wishes, Val x

Hi Val,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Sorry if I've caused any confusion. We will have to re apply to centre link if we don't make the deadline of 2nd aug. This will take weeks rather than months. If this happens we will have to put on people here in the uk longer than expected as we will have no home after next week!

Do you have any Idea of how long it takes from paying the AOS to being asked for final vac?

Also I would be grateful for advise on how we get the final vac payment to oz.

regards Nutmeg.

Hi Val,

Sorry if I've caused any confusion. We will have to re apply to centre link if we don't make the deadline of 2nd aug. This will take weeks rather than months. If this happens we will have to put on people here in the uk longer than expected as we will have no home after next week!

Do you have any Idea of how long it takes from paying the AOS to being asked for final vac?

regards Nutmeg.

Hiya Nutmeg,

Sorry, no idea how long. DIAC seem to be acting rather contrary these days. Our daughter paid assurance at Centrelink in Brisbane early this month and I emailed DIAC a few days ago to ask if they could confirm they had got the confirmation. I expected them to reply and ask for the final VAC but they just said they would be in touch when they needed anything further from us. Have a look on other applicants timelines and check on www.gainwave.co.uk too.

We have had all our visa money in Australia for a long time now earning much better interest than it would here. So all I have to do is request a bank cheque and they will send it to my daughter and she will courier it to Perth. Some people on here use FORex. There are loads of others to choose from. I myself use Halo Financial in London who were recommended by ANZ bank. I'm not sure but I think they can only transfer directly into another bank. DIAC have changed the payment system since we got our 173 last year. Somebody will know for sure and post on here.

I'll be curious to know if I can pay electronically when my time comes.

At least you've sold your house - we are nowhere near ready for putting on the market yet. Hope to in the spring after we return from OZ.

Hope it goes to plan for you..................Val x

Hi Nutmeg,

I hope you don't mind me butting in. My daughter paid our AOS on 4th July and we received our 2nd VAC request on 17th July. Most of that time was the delay in CL sending the receipt to DIAC. DIAC contacted them and they still took another week after that. As I've said before, perhaps a bit of smoozing in the CL office might help!

Our visa grant is imminent, payment has been made (sent to our agent via Moneycorp 17/7, agent paid by CC Thursday 26/7) and we are awaiting the ping of the email. Fingers etc crossed for news in the next day or 2.

Hope this helps.

Kim

Hi Nutmeg,

I hope you don't mind me butting in. My daughter paid our AOS on 4th July and we received our 2nd VAC request on 17th July. Most of that time was the delay in CL sending the receipt to DIAC. DIAC contacted them and they still took another week after that. As I've said before, perhaps a bit of smoozing in the CL office might help!

Our visa grant is imminent, payment has been made (sent to our agent via Moneycorp 17/7, agent paid by CC Thursday 26/7) and we are awaiting the ping of the email. Fingers etc crossed for news in the next day or 2.

Hope this helps.

Kim

G'day

Seems to depend more on the Centrelink office* than on DIAC. As you'll see from my posts, once Centrelink Sydney got its act together to interview our s-i-l, it was all quite quick – until DIAC failed to collect the 2nd VAC (or rather the bank failed to pay up) electronically and we had to organise a bank cheque.

*From posts on here, Centrelink Brissie seem worse than some!

Mike

Was it easy to open an Aus bank when you live in the UK?

Hi Val,

regards Nutmeg.

Was it easy to open an Aus bank when you live in the UK?

We opened a NAB account from here (UK) and there were no problems. A couple of emails about why we wanted to open the account, but this was just because we aren't actually emigrating.

When we arrived the first time after opening the account we had to go into Sydney (nearest main branch) to activate everything. All very easy, the cards arrived at our daughters house within the week.

Guest Player

I am a GSM 175 applicant and still waiting for the visa grant. Have plans to move to Melborne right after my grant. At the same time or minimum time after I move there I want to bring my parents in.....what options do I have?

Thanks

I am a GSM 175 applicant and still waiting for the visa grant. Have plans to move to Melborne right after my grant. At the same time or minimum time after I move there I want to bring my parents in.....what options do I have?

Thanks

Hi, you "must have been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, normally two years..." So, you can not apply for parent visa immediately.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent/143/