Guest guest36187

I am a GSM 175 applicant and still waiting for the visa grant. Have plans to move to Melborne right after my grant. At the same time or minimum time after I move there I want to bring my parents in.....what options do I have?

Thanks

Hi, you "must have been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, normally two years..."

So, you can not apply for parent visa immediately.

I am a GSM 175 applicant and still waiting for the visa grant. Have plans to move to Melborne right after my grant. At the same time or minimum time after I move there I want to bring my parents in.....what options do I have?

Thanks

Hi Player,

Firstly there is a balance of family test - meaning at least 50% of your parents' children (including step-children) must be permanently settled in Australia. There are no hard and fast rules on what DIAC consider to be "settled" but its usually two years. There are lots of options for visas for your parents and I suggest you have a look on the website and search "parent visas". Many of the contributors of this thread have gone down the 173 (temp) or 143 (perm) route. Both are extremely costly - approx UK£65,000 in total and time consuming - think minimum 14 months and you won't be far off. It all depends on their circumstances and the ages of your parents too.

You'll always get answers on this thread though and point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

Val

My parents are thinking of taking redundancy with my dads work and coming over on a tourist visa whilst they wait for the grant of their 173 visa (they know they'd have to leave the country for it to be granted).

Has anyone else done this?

They thought they'd be able to ship their cars and belongings, but I have a feeling you actually need some kind of visa before you can do this sort of thing - am I right?

Hi We did a similar thing whilst we were waiting for our 173 to come through. We bought a cabin on a holiday park and spent 7 months on a tourist visa, we had some stuff shipped out but I said it was my daughters effects, that way you have an address and a visa to quote.

We also thought about moving back and forwards on a tourist visa, but Australia expect you to spend a reasonable time out of the country before you come back in. So you could get to immigration and be turned away. Originally we were on a 103, but to save all the hassle decided to pay the money, It's a big wad to pay out, we are waiting to pay our second vac, and have applied, just waiting for CO to be appointed but in no rush. Hope this helps.

We opened a NAB account from here (UK) and there were no problems. A couple of emails about why we wanted to open the account, but this was just because we aren't actually emigrating.

When we arrived the first time after opening the account we had to go into Sydney (nearest main branch) to activate everything. All very easy, the cards arrived at our daughters house within the week.

That's interesting. I'll look into opening an account over there. Thanks.

Is it best to go for a 143 or a 173 and change later?

Hi there,

Its the route we took after being advised by a migration agent. If we had known then what we now know, we would have just got it all over and done with and done the 143 at the start. The 173 costs a huge chunk of $$$$$ and is only valid 2 years. In the meantime the cost of applying for and paying for the inevitable 143 increases by 10-15% per year. Lets be honest, I doubt anyone would part with all that cash and only stay 2 years so, having done the 173 then 143 thing myself, I would just do the 143. That said, we had the $$$$ standing by and earning interest in Oz already. I know others have to sell their houses to release the funds. Its all a matter of personal circumstances.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Val x

Edited by vava
spelling error

Hi Panman

I was very interested by your post in which you said you bought a cabin on a holiday park - I have been trying to find out about caravan posibilities because we can't think about emmigrating at the mo (elderly mum in tow) and find accomodation when we are over visiting to be a big issue. Would you mind me asking how you found your cabin, did you have to jump through any hoops with the authorities, where was it and how did you find it. Grateful for any info as this would be a perfect solution for us!

Was it easy to open an Aus bank when you live in the UK?

Hi,

We live in York and opened a NAB account yesterday/today with absolutely no problems at all. We have the name of the person we need to see when we arrive and call into our local branch. She'll have our cards waiting there for us. Great service so far! :smile:

Kim

We opened an account with Westpac earlier this year -totally straightforward process. We have no intention of emmigrating at the mo but much to recommend it in terms of convenience. For example we sent all the spending cash for our upcoming holiday to our Aus bank account months ago - no more being held to ransom at the cashpoint by whatever charges are current with the british bank. Also sent it via a currency exchange web site so got a good rate of exchange. Very handy for presents also - I buy family presents this end and our daughter puts the money in dollars in our Aus account. Makes a great change from I buy family presents here and she promises to give me the money when she sees me!

Very handy for presents also - I buy family presents this end and our daughter puts the money in dollars in our Aus account. Makes a great change from I buy family presents here and she promises to give me the money when she sees me!

Ha ha! I thought I was the only one that happened to!

Separate question for you........which home swap sites have you used? Or have I misunderstood one of your previous replies?

Anyone out there want a house near Bath for a couple of months, swapping for one in or around Sydney?

Very handy for presents also - I buy family presents this end and our daughter puts the money in dollars in our Aus account. Makes a great change from I buy family presents here and she promises to give me the money when she sees me!

Ha ha! I thought I was the only one that happened to!

Separate question for you........which home swap sites have you used? Or have I misunderstood one of your previous replies?

Anyone out there want a house near Bath for a couple of months, swapping for one in or around Sydney?

Maybe this is the wrong thread?

Try http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/

Good luck.

John & Eirian

Hi Stellathedog

We looked at a few home swap sites, too recommendation from a friend who had used one and decided on 'HomeLink' there are a couple of others with similar names ours is http://www.homelink.org.uk/house_swap_holidays.html

To be honest I think they are all much the same. They provide some advice but really once you have the contact you are on your own. Many of the people on our site seem to be in a similar position to us - wanting to visit kids in another country or just wanting the adventure without the massive hotel bills.

It's a leap of faith - I couldnt cope with a simultaneous swap and be all that way away while someone was in our house, mainly in case anything went wrong with the house. So we went for a non-simultaneous swap and so far so good.

We made sure we checked with our insurance co. (Lloyds were okay about it but not everybody is) We got all our personal paperwork in a huge plastic container and left it at my mums together with the lap top and computer. We paid to have our post withheld for 2 weeks (£12) and locked as much of our stuff as poss in the garage, which is detached in our case so we could go and get things out in an emergency.

It cost £100 to join the site.

Hi Fisher1,

Many thanks for your replies!

I have also found your blog, had a laugh reading that, so many similarities to ourselves!

Did you manage to get the premium seats on your flights? We had those last year for 3 of the 4 legs and have to say we thought them absolutely worth every penny.

In fact, when I go in October on my own, I have booked the premium seats. Just hope I have a 'nice' someone sitting next to me, or preferably no-one!!

As I am going alone this time, I am going straight through, but on the return leg there is a break of 11 hours. I have 'wimped out' and booked a room at the Crowne Plaza (because I'm worth it?)

I did 'try out' one swap site, LoveHomeSwap, and have had one offer to swap, but from Batemans Bay, a bit far south for us.

Two others that I sent requests to haven't replied yet.

Did you always get replies from the requests you sent?

Hope Wales has dried up a bit for you!

Thanks again for help with swapping.

Pam

Hello to everyone, I do not want to interrupt the discussion, sorry, but I need your help.

( I emailed the Parent Visa Office in Perth but the reply was only a computer generated message.)

My daughter and my SIL are permanent residents for 1 year now. But they also stayed lawfully in Australia back in 2006 on a student visa: do I meet the 2 years requirement, or 2006 is to far back to be taken into consideration?

Any advice really appreciated,

Daniela

Hi Pam

Got to say, I choose my approaches with caution. Homelink tells you how good people are at replying - so unless someone has a rate of at least 80% I don't bother. Also I avoid the 'you've got to be joking' properties overlooking Darling Harbour and having gee whizz gadgetry. I know my limitations. I found that none of the people who approached me, although tempting in some cases, were quite what we wanted. I also had a couple of false starts, where people were keen and then cried off for one reason or another. The two we finalised are lending us their homes in the Northern beaches, which is a bit out, but fine by us. Daughter reckons she is moving in for the duration so she can go surfing - have been given permission but I'm not convinced :-) Still its going to be great to have 'our own place' this time - can invite people round for lunch - especially the kind friends who had the three of us over for Christmas lunch last time we were there.

It's early days yet but I think it will have been worth it in the end.

Watch this space:-)

Hello to everyone, I do not want to interrupt the discussion, sorry, but I need your help.

( I emailed the Parent Visa Office in Perth but the reply was only a computer generated message.)

My daughter and my SIL are permanent residents for 1 year now. But they also stayed lawfully in Australia back in 2006 on a student visa: do I meet the 2 years requirement, or 2006 is to far back to be taken into consideration?

Daniela

Hi Daniela,

I would think that the 2006 student year would not have counted. My understanding is that your daughter and SIL would have to be settled permanent residents for 2 years. Not good news I know but better to wait a while then to be turned down because they haven't been resident long enough. Twelve more months isn't such a long time in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck Val x

Daniela

There is a criteria for being settled as in buying a home or renting one, having a job, owning a car, having children, pets etc... my son had not been a permanent resident for 2 years when i lodged my visa last year but ticked the boxes on the settled criteria list. I would concider giving a good migration agent a ring to discuss this. I can recommend Alan Collett ' Go Matilda ' very helpful and professional. Worth a call.......... Good luck, Ann

Hi Marian

That would be great, thank you.

There seems to be so much going on at the moment, that I think I'll wake up one morning and find I'm flying that night!!

I do look most days at the weather comparison and your spring is warmer than any of our summer, in fact your winter was warmer........aaarrgghh

Nearer the time Ill pm you

Cheers Pam

Hi out there

I am expecting to get a CO in Sepember. My daughter-in-law is sponsoring me as she is Australian but my son and d-i-l have separated although not divorced. Does anyone know whether this will affect her sponsoring me. I have looked up the Form 40 and it says the sponsor must be a relative. I wonder if she would still be considered a relative as they are not divorced. Centrlink know they are separated because she had to say for childcar.

Thanks

Moira

Hi out there

I am expecting to get a CO in Sepember. My daughter-in-law is sponsoring me as she is Australian but my son and d-i-l have separated although not divorced. Does anyone know whether this will affect her sponsoring me. I have looked up the Form 40 and it says the sponsor must be a relative. I wonder if she would still be considered a relative as they are not divorced. Centrlink know they are separated because she had to say for childcar.

Thanks

Moira

I'm sorry i can't help Moira but i really hope someone answers to help you, it must be really worrying at this late stage for you, fingers crossed the separation won't effect your application. Ann

Hi Moira,

I have copied & pasted a quote from the parent visa site about who can sponsor. As you'll see, the sponsor does not have to be a relative - they could just be a friend. We almost asked a friend of mine to be our sponsor but unfortunately he returned to the UK. We were worried that our daughter and SIL wouldn't earn enough but everything worked out ok for us. Here's the quote:

[h=2]Sponsorship[/h]All applicants for parent migration must be sponsored. At the time the visa application is made, the sponsor must be a 'settled' Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or 'eligible New Zealand citizen'. 'Settled' means a person must have been a resident in Australia for a reasonable period, which under policy is usually two years.

If the child of the parent is 18 years or older, then the parent can be sponsored by that child or by that child's cohabiting partner.

If the child has not turned 18, applicants may be sponsored by the cohabiting partner of their child if the partner has turned 18, a relative or guardian of their child, or a community organisation.

I hope this puts your mind at rest. Would your son be able to sponsor? I assume he has been there long enough.

Good luck, Val x