Guest guest36187

Hi Moira,

I have copied & pasted a quote from the parent visa site about who can sponsor. As you'll see, the sponsor does not have to be a relative - they could just be a friend. We almost asked a friend of mine to be our sponsor but unfortunately he returned to the UK. We were worried that our daughter and SIL wouldn't earn enough but everything worked out ok for us. Here's the quote:

Sponsorship

All applicants for parent migration must be sponsored. At the time the visa application is made, the sponsor must be a 'settled' Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or 'eligible New Zealand citizen'. 'Settled' means a person must have been a resident in Australia for a reasonable period, which under policy is usually two years.

If the child of the parent is 18 years or older, then the parent can be sponsored by that child or by that child's cohabiting partner.

If the child has not turned 18, applicants may be sponsored by the cohabiting partner of their child if the partner has turned 18, a relative or guardian of their child, or a community organisation.

I hope this puts your mind at rest. Would your son be able to sponsor? I assume he has been there long enough.

Good luck, Val x

Thankyou so much for this Val. I did read this but I thought that it had to be a relative. Yes my son could be a sponsor now I just didnt want to have to change anything this near the end in case it messed it up. Guess I still feel something could go wrong.

But hopefully not long now. I have booked my flight for 30 November - how about that for positive thinking

Best wishes

Moira

Good morning all,

Just wanted to share the great news that our visa has been granted this morning, YIPPPEEEEEE!!!! At last the wait is over! Shippers are in on 23rd August and flights booked for 2nd September. Just waiting for the relief to kick in and the tension to disappear.

This is not a journey for the half hearted. Good luck everyone, may your cups runneth over soon!

Kim and Kevin

Good morning all,

Just wanted to share the great news that our visa has been granted this morning, YIPPPEEEEEE!!!! At last the wait is over! Shippers are in on 23rd August and flights booked for 2nd September. Just waiting for the relief to kick in and the tension to disappear.

This is not a journey for the half hearted. Good luck everyone, may your cups runneth over soon!

Kim and Kevin

Congratulations! What fanstastic news. This process is such a roller coaster ride so what a huge relief. All the best to you both. Angie

Good morning all,

Kim and Kevin

Great news, indeed, Kev & Kim.

We can only add EYE O O to your excitement.

You really got your skates on, didn't you! Hope all goes smoothly.

We've just booked our container for 5 Sep and our flights for 13th. Suddenly, there seems to be an awful lot left to do in a month!

John & Eirian

Good morning all,

Kim and Kevin

Brilliant, brilliant news!! You must be feeling so excited, relieved, ecstatic...... I could go on! The very best of luck for the move - a very hectic next few weeks for you! Keep in touch and let us know how it all goes (if you can find the time)!!!

Congratrulations!!!

Val and Matt x

Great news, indeed, Kev & Kim.

We can only add EYE O O to your excitement.

You really got your skates on, didn't you! Hope all goes smoothly.

We've just booked our container for 5 Sep and our flights for 13th. Suddenly, there seems to be an awful lot left to do in a month!

John & Eirian

We've little choice with the timeline John and Eirian, Kevin retires from the army in exactly 12 days! To say we've been up against it is an understatement. So it was either book the shippers or start searching for temp accommodation, although we had practically decided we were going to squat here until the visa came through! And now at last it has all come together. I have my last married quarter to scrub clean and then I'm heading for the airport with a big grin on my face!

Kim

We've little choice with the timeline John and Eirian, Kevin retires from the army in exactly 12 days! To say we've been up against it is an understatement. So it was either book the shippers or start searching for temp accommodation, although we had practically decided we were going to squat here until the visa came through! And now at last it has all come together. I have my last married quarter to scrub clean and then I'm heading for the airport with a big grin on my face!

Kim

Now that's what I call military precision... truly brilliant.

Of course, it had to work out, didn't it!

John & Eirian

Guest Wannabies

Hi Some advice from you all if possible. Although we have a parents visa are

leaving for Brisbane 19/8 initially until June of next year, husband worried how

we will manage financially. We are in the process of renting out the house so

rent and pensions will be paid into our UK bank account and we also have some

Building Society saving accounts. We do not want to transfer our money to

Australia yet due to exchange rate and husband still not totally convinced we

are doing the right thing. The problem is that we are unable to change the

address on our accounts or credit cards until we have proof of new address, we

were going to give care of address. Have others encountered this problem and

what did you do the resolve it. Any advice would be gratefully received as going

round in ever decreasing circles trying to get everything sorted. Removers

coming 14/15 flying 19 August will we ever be ready in time the lists get longer

not shorter.

leaving for Brisbane 19/8 initially until June of next year, husband worried how

what did you do the resolve it. Any advice would be gratefully received as going

coming 14/15 flying 19 August will we ever be ready in time the lists get longer

not shorter.

Hi Wannabies,

Would it be possible to use the address of your child in Australia. We did initially and then changed it back to UK address when we came back here.

Hope this helps, Val

not shorter.

Why do you need to change your contact address at all? Maybe I'm missing something?

If unsure about your permanent, long-term location, I'd say just "pretend" you're living in the UK with a temporary holiday in Oz.

John & Eirian

not shorter.

We had a similar problem with one of our savings accounts, and we had to wait until we had some correspondence addressed to us at our Daughter's Australian address to sort that out. However, as far as bank (NatWest & RBS) and credit cards (Tesco and Post Office) are concerned, they were willing to accept our daughters address as our temporary address in Australia. We actually went to the Bank and showed them some of our Visa paperwork to substantiate our move - and they were very helpful in changing the address on the date we left the UK. Same with credit cards, I phoned and as long as you can prove your identity there really should not be a problem. They have to understand that you cannot retain your UK address if you are renting it out as mail would end up with an "unauthorised" person. I think they are being unreasonable and perhaps you could try to persuade them by sending copies of your Visa paperwork and proof of identity. It is no different to trying to conduct business with any banking or financial body, you always have to prove your identity - would they take the same approach if you were moving within the UK?

With our Bank, we advised them that the sale proceeds of our house would be credited to our account four days before we were leaving the UK and that we anticipated transferring substantial sums via the internet to HiFx to purchase a house here in Australia. They noted all this on our file and we had no problems when the time came to transfer that money. I firmly believe that is because we went to see them and took documentary evidence so they were well informed and there was no movement on our account that was unexpected. Our pensions are paid into the account each month and we use a UK credit card for our food and general shopping and pay it off each month using the internet. This system has worked for us for the year we have been here and we not been disadvantaged with the exchange rate doing it this way.

I would go back to your bank/credit card providers and politely challenge how reasonable they are (not) being. Good Luck

not shorter.

I have changed my address on all my Banking, Credit cards, tax and work pension to my Daughters house. Have you family or friends who wouldn't mind you using their address. Good luck with the move and wishing you all you hope for in your new adventure. Ann

One way round the issue of mail from the bank going to an unauthorised person (ie the person renting your house) is simply to re-route your mail until it suits you to alter your address. You can reroute your mail in the UK for £30 for six months - but of course you would need someone trustworthy to reroute it to!

not shorter.

It's also possible to arrange for the Post Office to redirect your mail to Australia. We did this for about 6 monthsto give ourselves a breathing space. Takes a while to arrive from the UK though.

Hi Val

Just to say that I emailed DIAC to as whether my d-i-l could be my sponsor now that she and my son are separated and they said no.

So my son will be my sponsor now. I wondered if anybody has changed details on their application form, I seemed to remember that there was a form to be filled in but I cant find reference to one. What I thought I would do is send a covering letter with his Form 40 that he will have to send in

But the good news is that I have had a good offer on my flat and it hasnt been up a week, only problem is I wasnt planning on getting out of the flat for another 3/4mths so I feel a bit rushed.

best wishes to all

Moira

Hi Val

Just to say that I emailed DIAC to as whether my d-i-l could be my sponsor now that she and my son are separated and they said no.

So my son will be my sponsor now. I wondered if anybody has changed details on their application form, I seemed to remember that there was a form to be filled in but I cant find reference to one. What I thought I would do is send a covering letter with his Form 40 that he will have to send in

But the good news is that I have had a good offer on my flat and it hasnt been up a week, only problem is I wasnt planning on getting out of the flat for another 3/4mths so I feel a bit rushed.

best wishes to all

Moira

Hi Moria. Not sure on whether you need to complete another form for change of sponsor details but I'm sure someone else will know. Good news indeed about your flat! We are feeling a bit rushed too - so many things to organise but we feel we are getting somewhere now. We have also sold our house and will be completing early September all being well. We don't fly out until October but we are lucky that my boss has offered for us to stay at his place in meantime. He has a lovely converted barn with rooms separate from the main building. Good luck to you - It will all work out fine I'm sure. Angie

Hi Val

best wishes to all

Moira

Hi Moira,

When my daughter moved house and when we personally changed our address, our agent asked us to fill in form '1022 Notification in Change of Circumstances'. He then forwarded this on our behalf. I think you might have to do the same. Here is the link http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1022.pdf

Good luck!

Kim

Hi all, hope you're all enjoying the Olympics! I have a question....... we have been asked for the 2nd visa payment (YAY!!) and have made arrangements with a FX company to buy AUD in the correct amount for this. When it came to transferring the POUNDS from our bank account to FX bank account I had a limit of £25,000 in 24 hours, so did this in two transactions - all o.k. Now I'm thinking, what happens when we are ready to transfer our house sale proceeds which will be a considerably larger amount of money? Obviously impossible to do this in £25,000 "batches" each day, so how does this work? If you have transferred large sums, how did you do this? I only thought of this potential problem in the night, so haven't had a chance to speak to anyone (at bank or FX company) yet, but was wondering if anyone could throw light on this so I don't worry about it until Monday. All help gratefully accepted!!

Val x

Hi Va,

I would have thought that your bank would issue a bankers draft when the time comes for you to transfer the house proceeds over to Oz. You could then courier the cheque to your foreign exchange dealer. The one I use confirms the rate before I send him the £££s. They email me every week with the latest AU$ deals and it depends on how much you want to trade. I think yesterdays email said that £67k would buy you AU$100k. Not good and no hopes for anything better in the forseeable future either I'm afraid.

All the best, the other Val x

Hi all, hope you're all enjoying the Olympics! I have a question....... we have been asked for the 2nd visa payment (YAY!!) and have made arrangements with a FX company to buy AUD in the correct amount for this. When it came to transferring the POUNDS from our bank account to FX bank account I had a limit of £25,000 in 24 hours, so did this in two transactions - all o.k. Now I'm thinking, what happens when we are ready to transfer our house sale proceeds which will be a considerably larger amount of money? Obviously impossible to do this in £25,000 "batches" each day, so how does this work? If you have transferred large sums, how did you do this? I only thought of this potential problem in the night, so haven't had a chance to speak to anyone (at bank or FX company) yet, but was wondering if anyone could throw light on this so I don't worry about it until Monday. All help gratefully accepted!!

Val x

Congratulations, Val. It won't be long now, I promise!!

We've successfully transferred £400,000 into our Oz bank account using Hargreaves Lansdown who have always dealt with our investments. As long as the money is in your current account, there should be no limit on transferring money to your FX firm using your debit card. Ring your bank to be certain of this.

Good luck with emptying your house, etc. It's a nightmare after so many years, but exhilerating at the same time.

John & Eirian

I am a midwife (over 50)here in Oz on a 457 visa. My recent application for PR has been refused, because Australia wants a "young skilled workforce", despite the fact that there is a nursing shortage of between 80,000 and 147,000.

We have both our children here and are therefore considering applying for a Contributory Parent Sponsored visa(or going home)

However my son wont be here as PR for 2 years until May 2013.

Does anyone know if Imm would accept an application before that date, also what is the wait for this visa now.

Pretty disgusted at my treatment my Immigration, they don't deserve my skills.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thank You

MKF