Taking food when you move

North to South

Hi,

I know there are many restrictions on taking food into Australia, but just wondered if anyone knows if you can take old wedding cake that’s been kept sealed and for sentimental reasons.  It’s 15 years old and is a rich fruit cake and whilst it’s never going to be eaten I’d hate to see it thrown away before we move.

Any thoughts / comments would be more than welcome.

Thanks 🙂

Probably not as it's not commercially made and sealed in a factory, though it may depend on if it's a whole cake or part of a cake that's been cut.  All food items need to be declared so if it's not allowed, it would just go into the bin here anyway.

The only people who can tell you for sure is ABF. 

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in1867727799_Annotation2020-02-10122316.png.efdba967b1165bde49e8794bc7e51a1b.png

Edited by AussieMum
extra info

Excellent advice from Marisawright. I would add general information that Australia, an island continent, is very very particular about food being brought into a country when Australia itself is such a reliable, pest free and disease free feeder of many parts os the world. We like to keep it that way\ and we are not just down the road from an adjoining country and so we can make a bit of bruhar.

As far as your wedding cake goes..... Absolutely declare it on your declaration form given to you by the airline. Generally wedding cake is not a problem, unless..... any nuts are not cooked. Previous experience is that Australian customs  will  most likely appreciate your declaration and pass it through. 

Please understand that "sentimental reasons"' do not cut it with Australian Customs agents at the border. 

I think you will be fine provided you declare it and allow custom officers to inspect. 

Edited by Dusty Plains

Over 40 years ago my BiL took a tier of our wedding cake into Australia (for my inlaws who couldnt be there) and it got through alright but that was 40 years ago, they're more stringent now but it'll be a gamble - declare it and hope for the best, plan for the worst and take what comes.  One thing Quarantine is not, is sentimental!

[emoji23]
Maybe there saving it for there daughters wedding..... Only another 10 years or so for the cake to hold on for...... Yeah, it'll be fine they will have found more antibiotics by then I recon......

it'll be fine as long as it has been kept wrapped in cling film.  Just pick the green bits off.

On 10/02/2020 at 01:55, Marisawright said:

Just remember to declare it when you arrive because it is food - even if it's permitted food, it can be confiscated if you don't declare it.

Definitely declare it as it’s not commercially made but not all food is on the landing card now, it’s more specific in its questions. It asks specifically about fish or meat or pet food and nuts and stuff.

I still declare everything as they can get narky even if it’s things not on the list. Declared queue often moves quicker as well! 😂

• Like 2

On 15/02/2020 at 14:10, rammygirl said:

Are you planning to bring it with you on the plane or ship it with other household goods?

Yes, good point.

If it is going in the container is going to be subjected to some fairly severe temperature extremes.  Even if it is allowed it may not make it in one piece.

On 15/02/2020 at 04:30, tonyman said:

Oh, and please don't invite me to any of your party's as I'm not in to eating 15 year old cake.......

Do you really think it is for eating? lol... I am hazarding a good guess its a momento and has been  kept with their wedding cards etc ...lol

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, scubacam said:

Yes but I have a whole cupboard full here and we are shipping stuff anyway

Wouldnt bother, just give those you have away.  There's no telling but they might think you have marijuana in your herb bottles.  Dont put anything foodlike in your container, that's just asking for extra scrutiny.

• Like 1

Yes but I have a whole cupboard full here and we are shipping stuff anyway

Unless they are all sealed they can’t verify that they were commercially packaged/produced anyway as you might just be re-using the jars and do you really want them poking through open packets? I had the same, a cupboard full but donated them to family/friends-it really isn’t worth shipping them.