Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

44 Good

About AussieMum

  • Rank
    Junior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. AussieMum

    Children's Car Seats - UK vs Aus Regulations

    No, the top tether is an additional strap that is part of the child restraint at the top back of the seat and is used in addition to the normal car seatbelt. It's attached to a vehicle anchor point in the car - the location varies by type of car and manufacturer but they are generally on the ceiling, back of the seat, or on the floor of a hatch/wagon/SUV. You won't be able to sell overseas car seats here, and while some people will say they brought theirs over and used them without a problem, you may run into problems, eg, with insurance, if you are found to be using a seat with an Australian Standards sticker on it. Another option if you are struggling to find a buyer before you leave is to see if any local charities take used car seats. For example, here in Victoria, Geelong/St Kilda/Ballarat Mums take seats that meet certain criteria.
  2. AussieMum

    Getting Repeat Prescriptions

    The active ingredients in subsequent brands and generics are always identical to the original brand. However, each manufacturer might use different "inactive" ingredients which you as an individual react to, or that may interact with another medication you take (eg, calcium salts can be used as a filler in some tablets but will interfere with the absorption of tetracyclines if you take them). If an excipient differs between brands, there will be people who have a negative reaction to the brand name as well as some who react to one of the other brands. There's also a small number of medications such as warfarin where each manufacturer's process and ingredients mean they all have a slightly different effect on the body and it will be recommended to stick to your usual brand unless a change is specifically indicated. This is why prescriptions have a "Brand substitution not permitted" box the doctor can tick. A good summary/explanation in plain English: https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/blog/are-generic-medicines-the-same-as-brand-name-medicines
  3. AussieMum


    Medicare rebates definitely have lagged behind what costs are incurred running a medical practice. But that doesn't mean GPs should be rorting the system the way this one did. I've had a mental health care plan from my usual GP a few times over the years and I have no problem at all paying for a double appointment each time it needs to be set up or reviewed because it does take extra time to do the paperwork. But this GP filled in a couple of forms at record speed and pushed me out the door in a usual 10-min bulk-billed appointment slot - they did absolutely nothing to warrant being able to charge Medicare extra for something I didn't want and didn't ask for (yes, I needed to lose weight at the time but that was completely unrelated to my visit).
  4. AussieMum


    There are good and bad amongst both bulk-billing and private GPs. My local private practice is my go-to and I've been going there for the last 18 years or so - I started when I knew we'd be starting a family soon and I wanted to build a relationship rather than just needing to pop in to get a certificate to confirm sick leave. They bulk bill pensioners and kids under 16 as well as whenever the doctor decides they want to, eg, I've always been bulk billed for a followup visit to get test results. We can pop in in an emergency and be squeezed in (eg when I grated a huge hole in my finger that didn't need to go to A&E at hospital but needed the nurse to check it didn't need stitches and dress it). I've had bulk billing GPs sign me up for a chronic health condition treatment plan with referrals to a dietitian and an exercise physiologist (when I just needed a doctor's certificate because I had gastro and my regular doctor's was full) because it meant they could charge Medicare for an extended appointment. I was not well enough to be in the mood to argue but I haven't been back to them since. There are definitely publicy funded genetics tests looking for BRCA gene mutations, Lynch syndrome, etc, that are accessed through Hereditary or Familial Cancer Clinics. But there are qualifying criteria for Medicare funding, eg, family history including how many and how close the relatives are, is there a family member who is better suited to testing (due to their position in the family tree), etc, and if you have a high-risk mutation then you may also qualify for early cancer screening, surveillance MRIs, etc. If you don't qualify for free testing, you can elect to self-fund.
  5. AussieMum

    Is Dan Andrews doing the right thing?

    I don't see anybody asking for an apology from Bobj. I was just clarifying that it wasn't something that happened in the last few days which is what can be inferred from "just read an article". Dan might have agreed to NSW closing their border but he didn't instigate it and asking for his input was likely just a courtesy - if he had disagreed, do you think it would have had any impact on a decision being made by the NSW Government in NSW? The NSW entry permits are administered by NSW so while the decisions on eligibility and access affect some Victorians, it's incorrect to blame permit refusals, advice to fly livestock, etc, on anything other than the short-sighted/city-centric NSW permit criteria and/or poor training/ignorance of Service NSW staff.
  6. AussieMum

    Is Dan Andrews doing the right thing?

    That happened over a month ago and was due to border restrictions imposed by NSW. https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020-08-20/farmers-told-to-fly-livestock-to-avoid-covid-19-restrictions/12574610
  7. AussieMum

    Is Dan Andrews doing the right thing?

    The 5 km restriction is a big driver in helping stop people moving around and spreading COVID-19 while asymptomatic. Without the restrictions, you wouldn't have "a very few cases" where you live for very long. Are the restrictions tough? Yep. Is it getting harder the longer it drags on? Sure. But the alternative if we let the rate of community transmission climb is absolutely horrendous - not just deaths but the unknown long-term effects. He's following the science (which is changing because that's what science does) which is all we can ask for, rather than trying to win an election by trying to make decisions that he thinks will be popular with those who will vote for him/his party. I feel like some of his critics forget that he and his family have to follow these rules too, it's not like him and Brett Sutton, etc, are all having parties and hanging out with their mates at super-secret bars and parks.
  8. It depends on which direction you're travelling though. I'm in Lara on the outskirts of Geelong and outside peak hour, it takes 40 to 60 minutes to drive to Melbourne CBD depending on traffic - close enough that a lot of people commute by car or train to Melbourne for work and easy to go up for a concert/show/shopping at Costco, but also far enough away that we're not part of Melbourne itself. I'm 5 minutes drive from Coles and Woolworths, 20 mins from large shopping centres in Geelong, Waurn Ponds or Werribee and 40 mins from beaches (bay beaches on the Bellerine Peninsula or surf beaches, eg, Torquay).
  9. AussieMum

    Leaving School

    For Western Australia: " You have to stay in school or training or approved work (or in a combination of approved options) until the end of the year in which you turn 17 and 6 months or you have reached the age of 18 years, whichever happens first. " http://det.wa.edu.au/participation/detcms/navigation/faq.jsp
  10. AussieMum

    Taking food when you move

    Probably not as it's not commercially made and sealed in a factory, though it may depend on if it's a whole cake or part of a cake that's been cut. All food items need to be declared so if it's not allowed, it would just go into the bin here anyway. The only people who can tell you for sure is ABF. https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in
  11. Be wary of relying purely on private health insurance ambulance cover. With a small number of companies/policies, you take out your own ambulance membership and they reimburse the cost to you, which is great as you have full coverage. Others, however, only cover "emergency" ambulance and the insurer decides if they think it was an emergency or not, eg, no cover if you're being transferred from one hospital to a specialised spinal or trauma unit. One ambulance trip is easily in the thousands if you have to go more than a few km and for air ambulance you can be looking at the tens of thousands (20 years ago it was in the region of $5000+ just for the airwing to take off).
  12. AussieMum

    Purchasing a car in Australia

    ALWAYS get insurance before you drive your car home. You can shop around and take out the policy to start on the day you'll be picking it up once you know the make, model, rego number, etc. Depending on the value of the car, you can have full comprehensive, third party property or third party, fire and theft. I used to work in car insurance including handling motor claims. If you have a collision and don't have insurance, the best case scenario is that there is only minor damage to your own car that you pay for yourself. Other possibilities are that your costs aren't recoverable (either at fault, hit and run or single vehicle) but you cause expensive damage to your new car, other vehicles and/or to other property such as a house, fence, etc. I've also dealt with people who had an accident where the at-fault driver was also uninsured so their only recourse was to engage a solicitor and take them to court to recover repair costs (often they were insured for another vehicle and decided to take the risk while they sold their old car or forgot to swap the insurance over). I'm not in NSW so can't advise re: Registration and compulsory third party insurance (which is for personal injury) as it varies by state. For test driving, if it's a dealership they normally have insurance/self-insure. If buying privately, you would need to check with the owner to make sure they don't have a listed-drivers-only policy.
  13. AussieMum

    What is Mildura like

    Even though Mildura is in Victoria, Adelaide is about 150 km closer (approx 400 km vs 550 km) so unless there's a reason to go to Melbourne specifically, Adelaide is where most Mildurans will go if they needs to visit a state capital, eg, for specialist medical treatment they can't get in Mildura or another, closer regional city. I have some friends up that way and if only one of them is coming to Melbourne, they will often fly rather than drive.
  14. AussieMum

    Curriculum Differences?

    When is your daughter's birthday and when are you moving? The official word is that to start school, they have to have turned 5 before 30 April that year so if her birthday was before then, she could go into Prep this year and grade 1 next year (depending on when you move). HOWEVER, if she doesn't turn 6 until 2020, she will most likely be one of if not the absolute youngest in her year level and I'd probably look at her doing a full year of Prep in 2020 for a variety of reasons. If she turned 5 after April, then her age cohort will be starting Prep in Jan 2020 and some won't start until 2021. My oldest's birthday is in January and he started school the year he turned 5 (so about three weeks after his birthday). On paper, he should have about one third of his classmates with their birthday after his (before they start turning the next age) but in practice, he is always one of the youngest in his year level. The vast majority of kids with birthdays in January to April (and even back to July/August depending on their school readiness) started school the following year.
  15. AussieMum

    Vacation Days (what's normal?)

    Teachers here in Victoria get about 11 weeks where they're not required at school. Many teachers spend at least half of that time catching up on admin work from last term and planning and preparing for the term/year ahead. It's not at all unusual for many teachers to be sick during school holidays once they stop running around like headless chooks and it catches up to them - unlike other industries you can't have those days counted as sick leave and get your annual leave days credited back to you to use another time. You don't get any choice about when you have time off. You still only get paid leave loading for 20 days and it's paid as a lump sum once a year if you're lucky enough to be ongoing. If you're on short-term contracts, they only cover holidays that fall during the contract period, eg, if you have a contract that is for terms 3 and 4, you only get paid during the break at the end of term 3. Other working parents will ask or assume that you'll provide childcare for free because you're not at work. (yes, some of these points are relevant to other industries as well, eg, in hospitality getting time off in peak periods is nearly impossible) OP isn't a teacher so it isn't relevant in their scenario. I love that my husband is around to look after the kids in their school holidays while I work but being a teacher definitely doesn't mean you only work 9 am - 3 pm for 40 weeks a year.