Where to start? Perth and Perth living.

Jamieliverpool

3 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

We are talking modern countries not the middle east, I travel to Europe a lot plus the States and other countries, no one has ever checked my bag, its pathetic if a country needs to do that. I honestly would tip my bag up and walk out, why the hell should you be subject to that garbage.

But wouldn't you lose all the stuff you bought from other stores if you did that?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Do yourself a favour and get some tickets for Gary Clark Jr. At the concert hall soon. He's one of the best blues guitarists around, packs out massive stadiums in America and is playing the concert hall here? Thought it a bit strange that he was even playing in Perth but found out his wife, Nicole Trunfio, who I thought was Italian is actually from Merredin😀. So maybe they are popping back to see her folks.

Love seeing bands at the Concert Hall too. Definitely won't get your bags checked there like the Arena so much nicer bar and closer to the band.

Two thoughts on this.

One, it's nice to know that security is looking after us.

Two, it's nice when their isn't the need for security. But Perth is growing up, and looks like a soft target.

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Do yourself a favour and get some tickets for Gary Clark Jr. At the concert hall soon. He's one of the best blues guitarists around, packs out massive stadiums in America and is playing the concert hall here? Thought it a bit strange that he was even playing in Perth but found out his wife, Nicole Trunfio, who I thought was Italian is actually from Merredin😀.

You just proved my point by saying you were surprised he was playing Perth.

Of course there are SOME theatres and SOME shows and SOME arts venues, but the fact is that there are MORE of all of those in Melbourne and Sydney.  So for someone whose PRIMARY interest is the Arts, why should I settle for SOME when I can so easily get MORE?   To me, Perth is isolated for that reason.  But I do get that if you're not that for other people, Perth offers them everything they could possibly need.  And that's fine. I don't know why you have to get so defensive about it.

Edited by Marisawright

On 04/02/2019 at 03:12, Jamieliverpool said:

Hi everyone,

Not sure where to start really. My girlfriend and I have 2 young kids (4 and 9months). I have lived a few places around the world, New Zealand for 18 months(on a 18-30 visa) and then the middle east for a couple of years with work.

Its always been my dream to move our family to New Zealand but my misses has never really fancied moving away until now. We are looking at Perth WA as there seems a lot more jobs available and the housing is cheaper than NZ.

I am a coded Welder and im currently working through a health and safety diploma. My misses is a hairdressing teacher for wella so therefore is qualified in hairdressing and has a teaching degree. We are aged 31 and 29.

Im just wondering how everyone went about the visa application process. Should we be sorting this first or applying for jobs in the hope they will assist our visa application? 

We have found houses in spearwood and beelair that look really nice and seem to be in a more rural setting, which is what we are looking for . Has anyone got any other recommendations for areas suitable for a young family?

The one thing weve noticed in our research is the cost of living increase from here in the UK. Obviously the salaries are better in Oz but im just wondering how people have found this as we don't want to come out and struggle. Although I know everything depends on work and lifestyle.

And finally I feel my misses has finally realised the opportunities for ourselves and our young kids are far better in Oz than here in the UK. The work situation here is getting worse and worse and I genuinely fear for my kids prospects when they are older . This is a massive move for us as it is for everyone who has had the courage to improve the their lives and prospects by moving to Oz. Any advice you can offer us is hugely appreciated.

Im really sorry for waffling on .

Thanks for your time ,

Jamie (Liverpool, UK)

Just a quick reminder what this thread is about,, its not in CTF so lets try to stay on track please..

Cal x

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Do yourself a favour and get some tickets for Gary Clark Jr. At the concert hall soon. He's one of the best blues guitarists around, packs out massive stadiums in America and is playing the concert hall here? Thought it a bit strange that he was even playing in Perth but found out his wife, Nicole Trunfio, who I thought was Italian is actually from Merredin😀. So maybe they are popping back to see her folks.

Love seeing bands at the Concert Hall too. Definitely won't get your bags checked there like the Arena so much nicer bar and closer to the band.

I've been a fan of his for a few years.  Wish I could see him live.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Perthbum said:

WHAT???? THEY CHECK YOUR BAG IN A SHOP???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I WOULD EMPTY THE BAG ONTO THE FLOOR AND WALK OUT SAYING CHECK IT NOW ARSEHOLE.

Quit with the faux outrage.

Doesn’t fool anyone who’s read your posts for a few years. You know quite well that bags are sometimes checked in Australian shops. You even mentioned the topic yourself in this thread: 

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/107557-if-the-uk-had-the-weather/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-1198966

Edited by NickyNook
  • Haha 5

On 04/02/2019 at 00:12, Jamieliverpool said:

Hi everyone,

Not sure where to start really. My girlfriend and I have 2 young kids (4 and 9months). I have lived a few places around the world, New Zealand for 18 months(on a 18-30 visa) and then the middle east for a couple of years with work.

Its always been my dream to move our family to New Zealand but my misses has never really fancied moving away until now. We are looking at Perth WA as there seems a lot more jobs available and the housing is cheaper than NZ.

I am a coded Welder and im currently working through a health and safety diploma. My misses is a hairdressing teacher for wella so therefore is qualified in hairdressing and has a teaching degree. We are aged 31 and 29.

Im just wondering how everyone went about the visa application process. Should we be sorting this first or applying for jobs in the hope they will assist our visa application? 

We have found houses in spearwood and beelair that look really nice and seem to be in a more rural setting, which is what we are looking for . Has anyone got any other recommendations for areas suitable for a young family?

The one thing weve noticed in our research is the cost of living increase from here in the UK. Obviously the salaries are better in Oz but im just wondering how people have found this as we don't want to come out and struggle. Although I know everything depends on work and lifestyle.

And finally I feel my misses has finally realised the opportunities for ourselves and our young kids are far better in Oz than here in the UK. The work situation here is getting worse and worse and I genuinely fear for my kids prospects when they are older . This is a massive move for us as it is for everyone who has had the courage to improve the their lives and prospects by moving to Oz. Any advice you can offer us is hugely appreciated.

Im really sorry for waffling on .

Thanks for your time ,

Jamie (Liverpool, UK)

I' m a retired welder QA/ QC etc.Been here 40 years,great place to live.

BAE systems should be needing welders ongoing for a few years at Henderson,on new shipbuilding work for the navy.Mostly FCAW I would think,some tig work probably.

Cupro nickel and titanium TIG 6 G should come into demand.Titanium with the dual / trailing shield .

I' ve never bothered looking at anything for around 5--10 years,can' t really go wrong if you pass exotic metals test.

Submarines to be built,depending on modern wires then could be FCAW ,if they don' t come up to scratch then  it' ll be stick SMAW.

Subs probably built in Adelaide but some modules may be built in Perth.

Big jobs are usually even time now,week on week off,sometimes 2 and 1.

Conditions can be very hot 50 C.Shocked me in the 80 ' s cryogenic welding on high nickel steels.

Seek .com welder jobs Perth would be the place to look at.

Wages would tend to be $35. $40 an hour.

Quals are needed for foreman jobs QA/ QC etc.Cert  10 to AS 1796  ,structural or pressure vessel.Pressure vessel is the best one,covers you for everything.

I came here with City and Guilds and Welding technicians and NDT certs.

Codes are usually ASME and B 31.3.

Sub's will override ASME as they are top notch unfired pressure vessels basically.

Good luck

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Whey aye said:

BAE systems should be needing welders ongoing for a few years at Henderson,on new shipbuilding work for the navy.Mostly FCAW I would think,some tig work probably.

Cupro nickel and titanium TIG 6 G should come into demand.Titanium with the dual / trailing shield .

I' ve never bothered looking at anything for around 5--10 years,can' t really go wrong if you pass exotic metals test.

Submarines to be built,depending on modern wires then could be FCAW ,if they don' t come up to scratch then  it' ll be stick SMAW.

Conditions can be very hot 50 C.Shocked me in the 80 ' s cryogenic welding on high nickel steels.

Quals are needed for foreman jobs QA/ QC etc.Cert  10 to AS 1796  ,structural or pressure vessel.Pressure vessel is the best one,covers you for everything.

Sub's will override ASME as they are top notch unfired pressure vessels basically.

Good luck

I don’t understand half of what is written but this definitely seems to be the sort of information that will help @Jamieliverpool. 😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Of course it happens,  it’s just someone routing through a lady’s handbag just isn’t  the British way 

Oh sorry Perthbum, this was a reply to someone else, I’ve put it in the wrong place so it won’t make any sense at all.  It was a reply to someone who said about someone’s going to say shoplifting doesn’t happen in the UK. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Whey aye said:

Good luck

This is great thank you . Iv got some shipbuilding experience in cammel laird (you may of heard of).

i get you with the heat and welding I was working on Kuwait for a while welding military trucks UT butt welds with hardened wire, the heat was horrific.

thank you for all the advice mate, much appreciated . 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You just proved my point by saying you were surprised he was playing Perth.

Of course there are SOME theatres and SOME shows and SOME arts venues, but the fact is that there are MORE of all of those in Melbourne and Sydney.  So for someone whose PRIMARY interest is the Arts, why should I settle for SOME when I can so easily get MORE?   To me, Perth is isolated for that reason.  But I do get that if you're not that for other people, Perth offers them everything they could possibly need.  And that's fine. I don't know why you have to get so defensive about it.

I was surprised because he's such a big American blues player. Maybe I should have said surprised he's playing in Aus. 

You have just as many acts and venues in Perth and easier to get to as you would in Sydney and Melbourne. 

Anyone that says there's nothing going off is not looking.

I didn't know disagreeing with someone means I'm being defensive. I just hear that temote thing so many times and it just doesn't register for people I know.

19 hours ago, Whey aye said:

Good luck

Often for these roles you need to be a citizen because of the nature of the work.

4 hours ago, Jessica Berry said:

Often for these roles you need to be a citizen because of the nature of the work.

Probably not for the BAE surface ships.

However ASIO clearance may be needed for the subs,and as you say citizenship.I' d forgotten about that,well spotted.I would be surprised if any steelwork starts on those subs before 2025 so plenty of time to gain citizenship.

ASIO would need a good length of history though,if security clearance is still needed.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2019 at 13:55, can1983 said:

Been to all those places visiting WA in 2014. Lovely places but there's a limit to how many times you can go and Denmark is 5 hours from Perth so hardly a weekend job

That's us in a nutshell. List all the places you can go from Perth, done them all 50 times. Can't bring myself to do it anymore.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2019 at 23:45, Tulip1 said:

Of course it happens,  it’s just someone routing through a lady’s handbag just isn’t  the British way 

They don't (or at least aren't supposed to) touch anything, it's a visual check only though they can ask you to move things out of the way so they can see.

It's a condition of entry of many shops (ie, written on a sign at the entrance) so if you don't like it, don't shop in those places.  Simples.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, s713 said:

That's us in a nutshell. List all the places you can go from Perth, done them all 50 times. Can't bring myself to do it anymore.

Exactly why I couldn’t live in WA.  Had some good times there though, on visits for race meetings 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2019 at 14:55, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Pretty rude of some folk to be banging on about bag searches all through the guys thread

I know nothing about welding mate but sounds to me that you are looking to move for all the right reasons. Just make sure your partner is fully on board as it’s likely to be head down arse up for the first wee while

Agree.  

Pretty rude for the usual suspects to bring up stuff in a thread  that was asking for help and comment.... Thankfully some people offered valuable advice.

I know nothing about welding etc, but I do know a social media wanker when I see one.... and there were a few on this thread that need to be cut-off at the wrists!

Edited by Rossmoyne
spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks for everyone who’s offered advice their are to many to respond to personally . Been some really good advice and a massive help . We contacted the migration company recommended and got the ball rolling. So thank you everyone .

The bag checking stuff. It’s just confirmed we are 100% making the right decision if people are concerned about tiny things like that . If that was one of my major concerns here trust me we wouldn’t be leaving. 

It’s going to be hard work with 2 young kids, Iv got a health and safety diploma to get finished as soon as possible so I can eventually get out of welding but I’m so determined to make a success of this. I’ll be swapping the kop for the terraces of Perth glory in no time! 

All the best everyone.

• Like 6

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:33, Perthbum said:

IN oz maybe, not in the UK, i cannot believe anyone has the audacity to check your bags

They've checked bags in Perth as long as we've lived her .. you say you lived her too so it must be familiar to you.

• Like 1