Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


NickyNook last won the day on March 3 2019

NickyNook had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

579 Excellent

About NickyNook

  • Rank
    Forum Guide

Recent Profile Visitors

2,223 profile views
  1. NickyNook

    Holiday visa

    She needs to apply for a new visa. The requirements are pretty clear on the Home Affairs website. https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/staying-australia#4
  2. LOL! You can't have it both ways. You are only entitled to a Stamp Duty Waiver and First Home Owner's grant if you're buying your first home. Obviously, if you've already bought a place with your parents you will not qualify for those concessions when you go to buy your second home with your wife. Why don't you and your parents just do the right thing? They should be paying the correct stamp duty as per the FIRB rules for foreign buyers and then you can use the first home owner concessions when you buy a place for your own family. No dilemma at all..
  3. Lived in Australia for over 40 years now. Never encountered any of the hazards mentioned in your list. It's easy to avoid bushfires by not living in or near the bush, it's easy to avoid floods by not moving to a flood-prone area. Swim at patrolled beaches to avoid sharks. Hardly any wildlife are found in the suburbs where most people live. Spiders are a beat-up, never see any, never known anyone injured by one. And there are no flies or mozzies where I live in beach-side Sydney. Over 25 million people live here quite happily - forget about the whingeing poms on this site, some of them have made it their life's work to find things to have a moan about. The biggest annoyance for me in living here isn't even mentioned in your list - and that's the cockroaches that are endemic in coastal Sydney (but you do get used to).
  4. NickyNook

    Bank deposit garauntee

    I think you may be selectively quoting because what it actually said was - "Provided banks are able to demonstrate they can continue to meet their various minimum capital requirements, APRA would not be concerned....."
  5. NickyNook

    Bank deposit garauntee

    My understanding is that ME bank have modified the amount of funds customers can redraw from their mortgages. According to the SMH they said - "No money has been removed from customer accounts. The adjustment made is to the amount available for redraw."
  6. NickyNook

    Day to Day Diary of Coronavirus/Covid-19 2020

    You don't have to have pall bearers, surely? Coffins can be wheeled in on a trolley.
  7. NickyNook

    Aged pension

    As your husband is married to you he'll be classed as being a member of a couple. The fact that you don't have a PR visa certainly doesn't mean your husband is classed as being single. As a member of a couple, it means that your income and assets will be taken into account when they work out how much he will be paid. He'll be paid at the 'Couple Each' rate - same as anyone else who qualifies for an Aged Pension but their partner doesn't. It's not an uncommon situation - plenty of couples only have one partner who qualifies for the Aged Pension, usually due to age. The 'Couple Each' rate is 50% of the Couple Combined rate but less than the Singles rate. See here for rates and rules : https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/how-much-you-can-get
  8. NickyNook

    Credit Card Chargebacks for Insolvency

    We were caught up in the BestJet collapse late in 2018. I had bought Singapore Airlines tickets through them with my 28 Degrees credit card, similarly my son had bought Emirates tickets with his CBA debit card. We both claimed a chargeback from our respective card issuers and we were both refunded in full.
  9. NickyNook

    Real Estate in Cranbourne

    Real Estate agents here sell houses. They work for (and are paid by) the vendors - not the buyers. It's definitely not their job to counsel potential buyers about what and where to buy. You're expected to work out for yourself if you can afford a property or not. If you wanted someone else to figure out what property you can afford and to help you get it you could have engaged a buyer's agent to help you search.
  10. NickyNook


    And you frequently get offered a cheaper, generic version of your medication by the pharmacist. They always cost less than the branded version so worth taking up, if available. My OH has a Commonwealth Seniors Health card and all his scripts are currently $6.60 each, so it's well worth having if you qualify for it.
  11. NickyNook

    Permanent residency

    Not an Australian passport. Couldn't get one of them without going through the citizenship process.
  12. NickyNook

    Permanent residency

    There are still loads of permanent residents who are allowed to vote. British permanent residents who were already on the electoral roll before 1984 (when they changed the rules to only allow citizens to be added to the roll) were permitted to stay on it. I was in that situation myself. I got PR in 1981 and was added to the electoral roll then and allowed to vote. I did not become a citizen until 1989. It sounds like the OP is definitely a permanent resident. How he proves it, though, I don't know. I'm also sure Westly Russell can help.
  13. NickyNook

    Can we get a visa??

    Sorry. Don't agree. I've been here for 40 years and only qualified to stay under the 1980 amnesty. If it was a case of just asking to be let in 40 years, there wouldn't have been hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants already here and wanting to stay, would there? And 10 years ago there was a rigorous migration selection system. I've been on these forums for much longer than that and I saw plenty of qualified, hopeful people being knocked back for migration 10 years ago. Not denying it's tough now but it's always been tough for people who don't qualify under the current rules of the day.
  14. NickyNook

    Deported from New zealand

    You can tell at a glance how long an agent has been registered with MARA. The first two digits of their MARA number (MARN) denotes the year they were first registered. So people with a MARN beginning with 06 have been registered for 10 years longer than someone with a MARN beginning with 16.
  15. Yes - and, of course, she had no clue that such a huge amount would be donated when she started it. I believe she hoped to raise $30k tops - but the money just kept coming until it totalled over $50m. She has a mammoth fan base in the US. Most of the cash would have come from her zillions of American Instagram followers