Guest guest36187

4 hours ago, Bridgeman said:

I hate to be a party pooper but maybe they are thinking that it is very unfair for someone who has or is applying for a permanent parent visa to take up a place when there are those who wish to spend time with family in Australia who maybe don't qualify for a permanent visa due to the BOF test or who simply don't have the means.  

You’re right of course.I for one won’t be applying  But!!  it is also very unfair they keep us waiting over 4yrs plus.  When we started this process it was 18-24months time frame . Talk about messing with peoples lives 😩

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Bridgeman said:

I hate to be a party pooper but maybe they are thinking that it is very unfair for someone who has or is applying for a permanent parent visa to take up a place when there are those who wish to spend time with family in Australia who maybe don't qualify for a permanent visa due to the BOF test or who simply don't have the means.  

Not sure I follow the logic of this when the new subclass 870 visa has been launched with the specific intent of helping subclass 143 applicants bridge the increasing gap between submission of the visa application and the granting of the visa.

Best regards.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

You’re right of course.I for one won’t be applying  But!!  it is also very unfair they keep us waiting over 4yrs plus.  When we started this process it was 18-24months time frame . Talk about messing with peoples lives 😩

Yes, me too (won't be applying), too late now for us, but it would still be a good choice for people with longer to wait for their CPV. Especially if Labor win the election and they slash the cost of the 870.

I think with the increased queue lengths for parent visas, it would now be humane to automatically handout bridging visas to all applicants. I wonder if Labor would stick that in it's manifesto?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marilyn said:

I think this last hurdle is worse than the past 3 1/2 years waiting for the request for additional documents. 70 days were up last week and no word from DOHA and have no idea how long this next stage will take...😞

We’ve just decided que sera sera and if it happens then it will it not then..😩. I don’t trust them on any of their timelines now! 😎

• Like 2

On 13/02/2019 at 04:21, Ammy143 said:

yes  my migration agent told me so that thy had client of feb 2015 thy gpt req too 

dont know exact date

Hi Ammy, you mentioned immigration sent out document request for Feb 2016 applicants (173). Do you have any update from your agent regarding immigration further movements?

5 hours ago, Marilyn said:

I think this last hurdle is worse than the past 3 1/2 years waiting for the request for additional documents. 70 days were up last week and no word from DOHA and have no idea how long this next stage will take...😞

I agree 😥

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Not sure I follow the logic of this when the new subclass 870 visa has been launched with the specific intent of helping subclass 143 applicants bridge the increasing gap between submission of the visa application and the granting of the visa.

Best regards.

As I understand it there is no BOF test for the 807.  So surely this would allow other parents to apply?  If it were only for those applying for the 143 then wouldn't passing the BOF test still be a stipulation?  I am seeing this from the point of view of a friend who is thinking of applying and who doesn't pass the BOF test, and wishes to spend time with grandchildren she hasn't seen for years.  I see it more as an attempt to get parents to be more self supporting due to their high cost to Australia once they arrive here. 

9 hours ago, Marilyn said:

@Marilyn 

I am with you on this pain. Looks like this government needs to change for good. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Kalil said:

@Marilyn 

I am with you on this pain. Looks like this government needs to change for good. 

Wasn’t any better when Labor was in power and Chris Evans was immigration minister. Some of us can remember all the retrospective changes that were made, that totally ruined many prospective immigrants  chances of PR.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Bridgeman said:

As I understand it there is no BOF test for the 807.  So surely this would allow other parents to apply?  If it were only for those applying for the 143 then wouldn't passing the BOF test still be a stipulation?  I am seeing this from the point of view of a friend who is thinking of applying and who doesn't pass the BOF test, and wishes to spend time with grandchildren she hasn't seen for years.  I see it more as an attempt to get parents to be more self supporting due to their high cost to Australia once they arrive here. 

Ah - OK.   So yours is a "vested interest on behalf of a friend" perspective.

I'd not go looking for a great deal of fairness in visa processing - it is largely political, particularly currently.

Best regards.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MHZ said:

Hi Ammy, you mentioned immigration sent out document request for Feb 2016 applicants (173). Do you have any update from your agent regarding immigration further movements?

no, nothing yet .. even we didnot heard after basic checklist submission medicals, form80 & pcc

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:15, Alan Collett said:

Ah - OK.   So yours is a "vested interest on behalf of a friend" perspective.

I'd not go looking for a great deal of fairness in visa processing - it is largely political, particularly currently.

Best regards.

Yes I agree.   And of course, I don't blame parents for trying to get to Australia as soon as they can by any means they can.  I am sure that immigration don't really care where the money comes from. I am just feeling for my friend for whom this may be the only opportunity to spend an extended time with her grandchildren.

Could your friend apply for a 600 visa? That can be valid for three years and allows a stay of 12 months in any 18 months so they could stay for 12 months return home for 6 months then go  back for another twelve months then home again. Could then reapply for the same after 6 months at home. 

Its a a lot cheaper !! 

13 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Could your friend apply for a 600 visa? That can be valid for three years and allows a stay of 12 months in any 18 months so they could stay for 12 months return home for 6 months then go  back for another twelve months then home again. Could then reapply for the same after 6 months at home. 

Its a a lot cheaper !! 

Don't forget to factor the cost of return flights to Australia every 12 to 18 months into the financial equation ... not required with an 870 visa.

Best regards.

Yes - also the private health insurance but then that would still have to be paid on 870 visa anyway  

Sometimes you can get really good fares on special promotions if you sign up to airlines websites. I’ve seen return fares from UK for £ 500-600 (c $900/1000) so two flights in 3 years -approx $2000 plus cost of visa £140(?) $260 

looks cheaper  but obviously exchange rates fluctuate, events happens etc. Guess it’s all swings and roundabouts! 

9 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Its a a lot cheaper !! 

Yes the family looked into that, but as Alan said flights are very expensive. plus she is not a great flyer!  The new visa is a better option as she also wants to rent out her house in the UK to help cover some of the expense.

Don’t forget  to factor in the cost of income tax due on the rental income - i read that there are some tax changes coming in that impact on rental income but I’m not a tax expert so may be best to look into that as well. Actually Alan is also a  good. Aus/UK tax expert!  

As I said earlier you can get cheap flights if you look for them 

Anyway I hope she finds the best option for her and that she is one of the ones who get the 870 in the first run as it’s capped at so many a year. The high price may have put some off but if Labour  get in and reduce the price as promised  the places will go quickly. Good luck! 

37 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Don’t forget  to factor in the cost of income tax due on the rental income - i read that there are some tax changes coming in that impact on rental income but I’m not a tax expert so may be best to look into that as well. Actually Alan is also a  good. Aus/UK tax expert!  

Anyway I hope she finds the best option for her and that she is one of the ones who get the 870 in the first run as it’s capped at so many a year. The high price may have put some off but if Labour  get in and reduce the price as promised  the places will go quickly. Good luck! 

As far as I know there are changes to the tax conditions for landlords from April 2020. I’m absolutely no expert on any tax let alone on how it will change or affect landlords, there was a newspaper article about it recently. Worth checking it out before decision to rent.

On 20/04/2019 at 16:19, Alan Collett said:

Yes - you need to get the order/your visa strategy right!

Best regards.

Just wondering if anyone has applied for the 870 yet. I started the application last week on behalf of my Mum, saved and logged out, as I had to wait for my police check,. Now when I log in it won't let me attached any new documents. Plus I'm finding it really confusing, as it doesn't say which docs are mandatory, as not all of documents in the drop down box are relevant to my  Mum. Gosh this is so confusing and frustrating too 😩

58 minutes ago, VictoriaP said:

Just wondering if anyone has applied for the 870 yet. I started the application last week on behalf of my Mum, saved and logged out, as I had to wait for my police check,. Now when I log in it won't let me attached any new documents. Plus I'm finding it really confusing, as it doesn't say which docs are mandatory, as not all of documents in the drop down box are relevant to my  Mum. Gosh this is so confusing and frustrating too 😩

So far as I know you can't apply for an 870 visa yet.

Applications can though be lodged by the sponsor for approval.

If you are stuck maybe it is time to appoint a registered migration agent?

Best regards.

1 hour ago, ramot said:

As far as I know there are changes to the tax conditions for landlords from April 2020. I’m absolutely no expert on any tax let alone on how it will change or affect landlords, there was a newspaper article about it recently. Worth checking it out before decision to rent.

This is most probably a reference to the tax deduction in the UK for mortgage interest, which is limiting the rate of tax relief to the basic rate only.

Most who are living in Australia will not be paying tax at 40%, so unlikely to be an issue.

Best regards.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Those who are living in Australia as the holders of subclass 870 visas will probably be able to make use of the temporary tax resident exemptions in Australia - so UK rental income will not taxable in Australia until a permanent residency visa is granted.

Might be best to discuss with a tax accountant?   Concerned persons are welcome to send a PM to me if they would like an initial freebie chat.

Best regards.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

This is most probably a reference to the tax deduction in the UK for mortgage interest, which is limiting the rate of tax relief to the basic rate only.

Most who are living in Australia wi

9 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

So far as I know you can't apply for an 870 visa yet.

Applications can though be lodged by the sponsor for approval.

If you are stuck maybe it is time to appoint a registered migration agent?

Best regards.

ll not be paying tax at 40%, so unlikely to be an issue.

Best regards.

Sorry, meant to say the Sponsorship application for the 870. I may have to end up doing that Alan, but as you can understand the costs for this visa on top of the 143 my Mum has applied for are astronomical. If I can save a bit of money and do it myself that would be great, but yes, I may end up throwing in the towel and asking for help.

Edited by VictoriaP
  • Like 1