• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

53 Very Good

About Bridgeman

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  1. Morrisons Home Delivery

    I thought I would post this as it might be useful for anyone who has elderly relatives at home in the UK and is looking for a way to help them out. My sister-in-law who is an only child was looking for a way to help her 90 year old parents in the UK and spoke to various retailers and eventually Morrisons who announced that they now accept overseas credit cards for home deliveries. She is now able to order products online for them, including groceries when they are not always able to get out themselves, if the weather is bad for example or if they are not well. At the moment it is only a trial, and so they don't deliver everywhere yet.
  2. Basically the Australian Aged Pension is means tested and you have to pass the income and the assets test to qualify. Also the rules have recently changed if you have already claimed something from Centrelink you need to wait 15 years. Two links posted by Alan Collett a few pages back give more information.
  3. You could apply for a 600 visitor visa to spend up to 12 months in Australia a bit nearer the time. You would need to keep immigration informed so that you can go offshore when the visa is granted (a holiday to Bali or New Zealand etc would suffice. If you have a look at the parent visa thread there are some parents who are doing just that so you might get more information by asking some of them who have done this.
  4. I am sure you are aware of this, but don't forget to complete the relevant form to let immigration know your new passport number as you visa, when granted will be linked to your passport.
  5. Parent migration to Australia

    Yes, there are normally 2 medicals with this visa, one before she is given a queue date for the visa and then another before visa grant.
  6. Contributory parent visa (subclass 143)

    Unfortunately not. The 143 is an offshore visa. Although you can physically be in Australia when you put in the application there is no bridging visa to allow you to stay.
  7. Insurance for interstate ambulance cover?

    Oh thanks, that's interesting. I did look but couldn't find anything. I don't see anything on the electric bill though that relates to ambulance cover. We seem to be quite lucky in Queensland compared to other states.
  8. I am not sure if this should be in the Health forum but we are planning a trip to the Pilbara WA to see family and spending a few days sightseeing in Perth. We are in Queensland. I am taking out travel insurance but I note that none of the domestic policies cover for medical emergencies. I am just wondering if for example if we had an accident and need an ambulance is there any way of taking out insurance for another state? I am finding it very confusing and I know ambulances are not covered my Medicare in most states. We have private medical insurance for extras but not for ambulance as it's free in Queensland. I have looked at the private medical insurers but most won't insure you for ambulance if you live in Queensland and I can't seem to find any that meet interstate requirements. Secondly, what happens if you need to be transported back to your home state, possibly by an interstate medical air service. Is this covered by Medicare and if not can this be insured against?
  9. Can anyone clarify the new rules for eligibility for the aged pension in Australia, I understand that now you have to have a period of continuous permanent residency, compared to previously where you had to have 10 years of permanent, with one continuous period of 5 years. That aside, some media sources are quoting that you now need 15 years of continuous residence unless: 'at least five years of that time being during their working life – ie before they’re of age pension age – or if they have lived in Australia for a decade and never received any welfare for five years in total'. Presumably. although we have not worked in Australia, as we have been living here on our UK state and private pensions and not claimed any welfare payments we would only have to wait 10 years? Not sure what they class as welfare payments, we have received heating allowance which all seniors get and the seniors supplement (now discontinued).
  10. "Also, do you know if we can change our application midstream from a 173 to a 143, without going to the back of the queue?" Susieroo we cancelled our 103 and applied for the 173 and the time we had spent in the queue for the 103 was taken into consideration. It might be worth checking with immigration, unless this has now changed or it doesn't work for going from 173 to 143.
  11. He would need to apply for the 884 Onshore, but for the 173 he would need to be Offshore. There is nothing to stop your father from actually submitting the 173 while he is in Australia. The important thing is that he would need to go offshore when the visa is granted. He does not necessarily have to apply for one or the other. The only difference is that he can be in Australia on a bridging visa while he waits for his visa grant if he goes for the 884 although I don't think he would be entitled to full Medicare. If he goes for the 173 he would need to make sure his visitor visa allows him to stay in Australia till visa grant.
  12. Contributory or non-contributory aged parent visa

    I don't see why there would be anything to stop you from cancelling your 864 visa and then reapplying for the 804. This is what you have to do anyway if you do it the other way around. It might be best just to check with a migration agent such as Alan Collett or maybe post this question on the Ask a Migration agent section on this forum to see if you get any responses as to whether there would be any repercussions while the switch over is taking place as you would need to ensure that you can legally remain in Australia. If you have cut all ties back home then this could be a problem. The main downside of the 804 is the long processing time. You may also have limited Medicare while on the bridging visa, although I assume you are currently on a bridging visa of some sort at the moment. Also, due to the long processing time you would be required to pass another medical shortly before visa grant which could be problematic after such a long time. I have heard of people not passing the medical but have not heard what the outcome was as to whether they were allowed to stay or not. Also you would probably not be entitled to apply for any benefits during that time. Is there a possibility that you could go the 884/864 route? The 884 is a temporary visa for 2 years and then you need to apply for the permanent visa. It would at least allow you to split the cost. Alternatively there is a new temporary parent visa being introduced in July which would allow you to stay in Australia for 5 years and would give you a breathing space. However, as has already been mentioned, the parent visa fees are likely to increase and there is talk of limiting the 103 (the offshore version of the 804) to applicants on humanitarian grounds. It might be advisable to have a chat with a migration agent to see what your options are.
  13. Contibuatory Parent Visas

    It is taking 29-30 months at the moment. If you look here: you will see where parents applying for the same visa have posted their timeline.
  14. The only visas which would allow your parents to live in Australia while waiting would be the Contributory Aged Parent Visa 864 or the onshore equivalent of the 103, the 804 but one of them would have to be over 65 to apply for this. Some parents come for a visit on a visitor visa shortly before their visa is granted and then go offshore to Bali or New Zealand for example while the visa is granted.
  15. The good news is it's held in a term deposit for ten years and you get interest!!! 6.75% Are you sure? The bond is only for 5 years and then has to be renewed. We were getting 5.7% for five years and have just had to renew with the Commonwealth Bank and will now only be getting 2.55% for the next five years.