Guest guest36187

Sadge, I think they're all much the same but choose one that doesn't charge a fee (most of them don't) although your daughter's bank may well charge for receiving it! I used Currencies Direct and Westpac charged my daughter to receive the money. You should also ensure that the exchange service is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under Payment Services Regs, and regulated by HMRC as a Money Service Business, and maintains segregated client accounts. Moneycorp is also regularly recommended on this site, and the only reason I didn't use them was a problem with the website that drove me almost round the bend at the time, but that may be sorted by now.

Thank you - my agent gave me links to 2 or 3 (Moneycorp being one I think) and I just wanted to get the sort of guidance that you've provided, so thank you for that. Unfortunately, I think my daughter banks with Westpac!

Weve used XE.com many times into our Westpac account and never been charged.

Fisher, do you think there was no charge because it was a transfer from you to your own account? In my case it was a transfer from a third party (me) to my daughter. I transferred $10,000 but she got only $9975 - only $25, so not a huge amount. That was last year, May 2015, maybe they've changed their charges now, but she's going to query it with Westpac tomorrow (public holiday today in Queensland).

Hello all

we have applied for the 143 parent visa in December 2015 in total limbo as regards processing time

has anyone any idea what is happening ,,as we all know it's impossible to get any info from perth

regards to all

kevvo, if you do a weekly test email, you'll get an automated response giving the up to date processing dates.

Hello all

we have applied for the 143 parent visa in December 2015 in total limbo as regards processing time

has anyone any idea what is happening ,,as we all know it's impossible to get any info from perth

regards to all

Hi snap we applied at the same time! We foolishly thought 2 years maximum but now it just seems all up in the air.I have no idea how to find out but wanted to let you know we started the process at the same time.Thanks, Custardy

Hello all

regards to all

Hi Kevvo, looking online gives you the date they are currently working up to but it has been very slow changing recently due to the allocation being reached before Immis year end (end June) and the huge increase in applicants in May/June 2014. As these are likely to take almost half the years allocation it is not looking so good for us 2015ers. I think we can assume it will be at least 6 months longer than expected maybe more - I hope I am wrong.

Hi snap we applied at the same time! We foolishly thought 2 years maximum but now it just seems all up in the air.I have no idea how to find out but wanted to let you know we started the process at the same time.Thanks, Custardy

This is the latest in the automated response today:

"In the 2016-17 Migration Program year, 7,175 Contributory Parent visa places are available for applicants applying from in and outside Australia. Due to high numbers of Contributory Parent visa applications lodged in May and June 2014, processing times for these is expected to exceed 24 months.

OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

Your application will be processed according to the order of lodgement date and once your application has been assigned to an assessing officer, they will contact you.

Please be assured that the department will endeavour to finalize your application as quickly as possible.

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents including but not limited to Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalize your application.

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 24 June 2014. Please note that due to a very high number of 173 and 143 applications received in June 2014, the assessment date is expected to change at a much slower pace than usual. We appreciate your patience and your understanding."

So processing times are currently 27/28 months but moving so slowly that it's bound to get even further behind, to about 30 months.

Edited by Catlady2014

I would like to get an idea as to how long it takes Centrelink to process an AOS. My daughter went to Centrelink on 8 September with her AOS form and supporting documents. She was told that they would pass the information to Immigration and she would hear again when the bond deposit needed to be made. She has not heard anything yet and I wonder how long other Forum members have had to wait for Centrelink to process the AOS

Thanks

Dave

I migrated to Perth in march 2013, I am travelling back to the uk next Apri, will I need a visitors return visa after being here four years.

i will apply for citizenship after march as been here four years but I don't think I will get Australian passport in time for travelling. And if I start the process and don't need a visitors return visa I will wait for citizenship until I come back.otherwise applying sooner will cancel out the visa I have now.

cheers

annie

I would like to get an idea as to how long it takes Centrelink to process an AOS. My daughter went to Centrelink on 8 September with her AOS form and supporting documents. She was told that they would pass the information to Immigration and she would hear again when the bond deposit needed to be made. She has not heard anything yet and I wonder how long other Forum members have had to wait for Centrelink to process the AOS

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, My son lodged the AoS application at Centrelink on 5 September. This is part of the info I posted on 28 September:

" My son received his letter from Centrelink today (28 Sept) - it had been posted to his home address on 23 September - it gave him until 7 October to contact them with "further information" - the information was really just to call them and go through the interview process, also explaining terms etc. At the end, he was told he's been accepted as Assurer (thank goodness!! I can't say how happy we were to know this!!! I actually cried and realised how pent up I've been as it was just such a relief - we all need some tlc I think!). They will now post another letter to his home address, for him to take to Commonwealth bank and set up the term deposit account. I hope this info helps. I think I can see why they would send it by post, to check that someone is where they say they are perhaps? Now we wait again, as the post may not reach him until next week I guess. You will all likely hear very soon (and be checking that post box hourly I'm sure, I would). "

He is now still waiting for the letter from Centrelink to take to the Commonwealth Bank - I understand there has been a public holiday today and so this will slow down things for you also. Your daughter was only a few days after my son and so I would think will hear from them this week.

Cheers,

Amanda

Fisher, do you think there was no charge because it was a transfer from you to your own account? In my case it was a transfer from a third party (me) to my daughter. I transferred $10,000 but she got only $9975 - only $25, so not a huge amount. That was last year, May 2015, maybe they've changed their charges now, but she's going to query it with Westpac tomorrow (public holiday today in Queensland).

Hi yes, I think that's likely. My husband gets regular payments to his UK account from Belgium and the bank always charge him, it's a real rip off. I'm currently looking for a new online currency trader because although Westpac don't charge me, XE do .. So I wouldn't recommend them particularly even though they are very efficient.

Was going to try moneycorp but got fed up waiting for someone who was supposed to contact me and didnt. Any recommendations??

Hi yes, I think that's likely. My husband gets regular payments to his UK account from Belgium and the bank always charge him, it's a real rip off. I'm currently looking for a new online currency trader because although Westpac don't charge me, XE do .. So I wouldn't recommend them particularly even though they are very efficient.

Was going to try moneycorp but got fed up waiting for someone who was supposed to contact me and didnt. Any recommendations??

I used Currencies Direct and was happy enough with them. Most currency transfer agents charge a fee if you're transferring a small amount, but above that minimum there's nothing to pay. Moneycorp have a good reputation but, like you, I had problems and just gave up with them (my patience is not great at the moment, which probably applies to most of us on here, and I get frustrated if things don't work exactly as they should). There are lots of currency transfer agents out there but you need to be certain that they are authorised, not just regulated, and that they separate out clients' money, in case anything goes wrong. Most of us are going to be transferring quite large amounts and safety and security are paramount. I rejected one company because the initial online contact required me to put my details into an online from that had no https or padlock on it to signify secure transfer of details! No thank you! There are loads out there, just be careful and choose wisely.

I use TransferWise. My last transfer was mid morning oz time and it was in my bank in oz that evening. Only used them twice so far but seem good. They offer a cent less than the exchange rate.

We use Transferwise as well, we transfer every month and Can't fault the service. Friends recommended them, and we are glad we changed from previous well known company.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have tagged @John from Moneycorp in to this so hopefully he will send you a message. He as always been on the ball.

One thing I do like about Momeycorp is that if you bank with NAB it is a totally free transaction because Moneycorp also pay the banks receiving fees and pomsinoz members get free trading with Moneycorp as long as they say they are forum members.

Guest John from Moneycorp

Sorry to hear that none of the team have been in touch - please send me a private message and I can look into this for you straight away.

Thanks

John

Everything seems to be at a standstill at the moment, processing dates having only moved on 1 day in the last 17. Hopefully once the May/June 2014 applications are all processed we will be able to see a bit of a move on and get a better idea of how long it will take. But who knows? Going by the original advice when we applied (i.e. 12-24 months) we were hoping that we would have been well on the way by now – but unfortunately not. Let's just hope things improve soon.

Hello all

regards to all

Hi Tien

Please can you let me know when your Sponsor receives the letter from Centrelink. We are now in New Zealand and feeling a bit helpless as we are not able to check the post box everyday for mail! As you are one day ahead with your AOS it will give us a good idea when to expect the letter. thanks.

Julie

We called centrelink today and now they give us another timeline of 42 days at least from lodgment. they said even people lodging before us havent been processed yet. RIDICULOUS.

We called centrelink today and now they give us another timeline of 42 days at least from lodgment. they said even people lodging before us havent been processed yet. RIDICULOUS.

Hi

Thanks for the update Tien. IMMI should be ashamed of themselves for not foreseeing this problem. Let's hope the exchange rate improves whilst we are waiting. At this rate I've got the feeling we are all going to be worn out and absolutely broke when the powers that be decide that they want to give us a visa.

As you say absolutely ridiculous.

We had to book a return ticket for our offshore trip to NZ, so we decided that six weeks should be sufficient, returning on 12 November - starting to think that we ha ven't a prayer of getting things sorted by then!

Julie

I migrated to Perth in march 2013, I am travelling back to the uk next Apri, will I need a visitors return visa after being here four years.

i will apply for citizenship after march as been here four years but I don't think I will get Australian passport in time for travelling. And if I start the process and don't need a visitors return visa I will wait for citizenship until I come back.otherwise applying sooner will cancel out the visa I have now.

cheers

annie

hi Annie

just be aware that once citizenship is granted then you are only allowed to enter Australia on an Australian passport. The citizenship cancels all other visas. My daughter was nearly caught out on this one as they had citizenship granted a week before a trip to the uk for a wedding and they had to pay a supplement to get a fast track Ozzy passport. The citizenship is only formally granted however once you have also gone through the citizenship ceremony and up to then any other visas are still valid. Not totally sure whether you need a visitors return visa in the meantime but I thought that is only after you have been there for 5 years. I suggest you check on the Immi website.