Guest guest36187

Hi, if you go to the progress tracker on this forum, you will find a section there to find out about the exchange rate for the 2nd VAC, I think it changes in January and July. Not too sure about all this, its something I would like to know more about too. I'll be paying my 2nd VAC from ireland. Fran.

Thanks! I hope to be paying mine shortly, the way things are going I hope I can pay it after the july change.

must say this is my understanding too. PR &."settled" rather than PR 2 years....certainly hope so anyway :daydreaming:

Sorry to muddle the water but - the rules certainly say PR & settled. However, I believe that the 2 year period is still used as a basis for deciding. There was some evidence of this last year from an immigration agent.

Best wishes

Charlie

Sorry to muddle the water but - the rules certainly say PR & settled. However, I believe that the 2 year period is still used as a basis for deciding. There was some evidence of this last year from an immigration agent.

Best wishes

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Having just gone through it you are correct, BUT (and it is open to interpretation by the CO you get) is it 2 years at the time the visa is granted, CO is appointed, or at he time of application?. We applied after daughter etc had been in Oz for 14 months so comfortably over two years when CO appionted, and they had jobs, car, purchased house etc. I believe it is the commitment to be settled rather than 2 years that is important but do not try it too soon.

Hope this helps

Hi Charlie

Having just gone through it you are correct, BUT (and it is open to interpretation by the CO you get) is it 2 years at the time the visa is granted, CO is appointed, or at he time of application?. We applied after daughter etc had been in Oz for 14 months so comfortably over two years when CO appionted, and they had jobs, car, purchased house etc. I believe it is the commitment to be settled rather than 2 years that is important but do not try it too soon.

Hope this helps

Pls read booklet 3, we see that sponsor need to have PR, and need to be settle 2 years. But also it says that settle mean leaving in OZ for 2 years, even on a temp visa (page 4: to meet settle requirements, a person must have been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, usually 2 years.).

So I think, if someone who is a PR has been in OZ on a temp visa (no need to be on a PR visa)for more than 2 years, it will be ok.

However, even a citizen but do not settle, it may not be ok to sponsor a PV?

I tried a search, but can't find the reference so can anyone help me? I'm sure its possible to pay the 2nd part of the CPV 143 in London, but do I pay in pounds sterling at any particular rate of exchange? I think I recall it being set twice a year. Thanks.

We paid our 2nd Vac payment to London, I paid with a bank cheque, It’s quite a simple process, You download a payment mandate from the London high Commission, you also submit a copy of the letter from your CO asking you to make the payment and I also included a stamped addressed envelope for them to send me the white copy of the receipt.

Let you CO know that you are planning to make the payment to London if you go this route.

You need to download the payment mandate from the Australian High Commission website:

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/fees.html - have a look at the instructions on how to pay.

You can find out the exact amount by using the currency converter on the DIAC website.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/converter.htm

From this you will also be able to work out the exchange rate they are using.

We sent off the bank cheque, the payment mandate, a copy of the letter from our CO asking for payment, and a covering letter. We got two special delivery ‘silver pouches’ from the post office and self addressed one, and paid the return postage (we made a note of the number). We then included the self addressed one in the envelope for them to return the receipt to us. We then sent the receipt to our CO. We were able to check when the envelope had been posted back to us. The whole process only took about 4 days.

However, I note you are in Bueonos Aires, so not sure how the post would work there. I think you can also pay in Buenos Aires. Here's the link to the information:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/methods-of-payment.htm

I will hopefully be asked for the 2nd VAC in the next few weeks, and am still a bit unsure of best way to pay it. The good bit will be that it will be before any increase but on the other hand before the rate to pay in London is reset to reflect the current rate. I bank with Nationwide and i am not sure whether their bank draft is acceptable by DIAC. I have used HIFX to transfer sums to my bank ac in OZ. I remember reading in the past applicants using HIFX for the second VAC. I would be grateful for any suggestesions and experiences as best way to approach it

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by denzil53 viewpost-right.png

We have just heard, after a 14 month wait, that our visa application has been refused. Our sponsoring son had not been resident for the full 2 years at the start of our application, although he has now been there almost 3 years! Not sure what to do now . . .

The above re-post is from page 407 in this thread and is for all the people who can't decide what the rules are about PR. Not heard whether Denzil has had his appeal yet but beware - DIAC do take it seriously. They didn't even let him know at the original lodgement that it would be rejected - he had to wait the full 14 months for a rejection!

Hope this helps! Val x

We paid our 2nd Vac payment to London, I paid with a bank cheque, It’s quite a simple process, You download a payment mandate from the London high Commission, you also submit a copy of the letter from your CO asking you to make the payment and I also included a stamped addressed envelope for them to send me the white copy of the receipt.

Let you CO know that you are planning to make the payment to London if you go this route.

You need to download the payment mandate from the Australian High Commission website:

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/fees.html - have a look at the instructions on how to pay.

You can find out the exact amount by using the currency converter on the DIAC website.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/converter.htm

From this you will also be able to work out the exchange rate they are using.

We sent off the bank cheque, the payment mandate, a copy of the letter from our CO asking for payment, and a covering letter. We got two special delivery ‘silver pouches’ from the post office and self addressed one, and paid the return postage (we made a note of the number). We then included the self addressed one in the envelope for them to return the receipt to us. We then sent the receipt to our CO. We were able to check when the envelope had been posted back to us. The whole process only took about 4 days.

However, I note you are in Bueonos Aires, so not sure how the post would work there. I think you can also pay in Buenos Aires. Here's the link to the information:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/methods-of-payment.htm

Thanks for this. I'm in the UK at the moment so I could pay here.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by denzil53 viewpost-right.png

We have just heard, after a 14 month wait, that our visa application has been refused. Our sponsoring son had not been resident for the full 2 years at the start of our application, although he has now been there almost 3 years! Not sure what to do now . . .

The above re-post is from page 407 in this thread and is for all the people who can't decide what the rules are about PR. Not heard whether Denzil has had his appeal yet but beware - DIAC do take it seriously. They didn't even let him know at the original lodgement that it would be rejected - he had to wait the full 14 months for a rejection!

Hope this helps! Val x

So worrying to read even though you tick all the boxes for being settled, it seems harsh they didn't let him know at lodgement and he had to wait 14mths to have his application rejected, i used an agent before and my son did not have PR then, my application was regected at lodgement, i was a bit miffed as i thought the agents should have known it would not get through, my son has had PR for 15mths now so i can only hope it gets through. He was on a spouse visa since 2008 prior to getting PR last year.

Fingers crossed....... and another worry for the 3am ovaltine worry wake up call......:twitcy::wacko:

So worrying to read even though you tick all the boxes for being settled, it seems harsh they didn't let him know at lodgement and he had to wait 14mths to have his application rejected, i used an agent before and my son did not have PR then, my application was regected at lodgement, i was a bit miffed as i thought the agents should have known it would not get through, my son has had PR for 15mths now so i can only hope it gets through. He was on a spouse visa since 2008 prior to getting PR last year.

Fingers crossed....... and another worry for the 3am ovaltine worry wake up call......:twitcy::wacko:

Everyone who is worried about this issue should send an email to CPV to querry. I believe they will make it clear to you that:

-the sponsor does need to have PR at time of lodgement (so if no PR at time of lodgement, then the application will be refused - I am sure),

-and the sponsor does need to be in Oz for 2 years (legally on any temp visa, I am sure)- and settle (by proving with job/ houses/ cars/ children enrolling at school... I am not sure which one will be enough). So if the sponsor has not been in Oz for at least 2 years on a legal visa, the application will be refused. But if the sponsor has been in Oz for at least 2 years even just on any kind of temporary visa, then when gets PR, the sponsor applies for a CPV, it will be ok.

I did check this with a friend who had been in Oz 2 years as a dependent on her husband who was a student. She got a full time job then had PR. 10 days after having PR, she applied for her parents CPV and got it last month.

Regarding migration agents, many of my friends have bad experience. Some lost their chance to have a PR, some had to apply for another one, some had to take it back..., So please be careful with them, the best way we can do is to double check.

I hope this helps someone who is worried.

@liverpoolloo: I think you are eligible to apply for the CPV right now. If you are still not sure, just check with PVC so you do not have to wait more. Regards.

I will hopefully be asked for the 2nd VAC in the next few weeks, and am still a bit unsure of best way to pay it. The good bit will be that it will be before any increase but on the other hand before the rate to pay in London is reset to reflect the current rate. I bank with Nationwide and i am not sure whether their bank draft is acceptable by DIAC. I have used HIFX to transfer sums to my bank ac in OZ. I remember reading in the past applicants using HIFX for the second VAC. I would be grateful for any suggestesions and experiences as best way to approach it

One way of doing it is to transfer the money to your son/daughter's account in Australia and they can then get a bank draft to send to DIAC.

If "settled" is limited to at least 2 years of lawful residence why are CP and Parent applicants who have been refused a visa on the basis that the sponsor is not settled subsequently successful on appeal to the MRT?

Why have CP and Parent visa applicants been granted visas when their sponsors have been living in Australia for less than 2 years?

I'm not suggesting that one should play fast and loose with the settled sponsor requirement. However, it is my belief that the PVC has not implemented policy that is in line with MRT decisions.

Maybe the PVC would like sufficient doubt to exist as to prevent applications being submitted ...

Best regards.

Everyone who is worried about this issue should send an email to CPV to querry. I believe they will make it clear to you that:

-the sponsor does need to have PR at time of lodgement (so if no PR at time of lodgement, then the application will be refused - I am sure),

-and the sponsor does need to be in Oz for 2 years (legally on any temp visa, I am sure)- and settle (by proving with job/ houses/ cars/ children enrolling at school... I am not sure which one will be enough). So if the sponsor has not been in Oz for at least 2 years on a legal visa, the application will be refused. But if the sponsor has been in Oz for at least 2 years even just on any kind of temporary visa, then when gets PR, the sponsor applies for a CPV, it will be ok.

I did check this with a friend who had been in Oz 2 years as a dependent on her husband who was a student. She got a full time job then had PR. 10 days after having PR, she applied for her parents CPV and got it last month.

Regarding migration agents, many of my friends have bad experience. Some lost their chance to have a PR, some had to apply for another one, some had to take it back..., So please be careful with them, the best way we can do is to double check.

I hope this helps someone who is worried.

@liverpoolloo: I think you are eligible to apply for the CPV right now. If you are still not sure, just check with PVC so you do not have to wait more. Regards.

Thank you for the post, this was explained to me by my present agent who comes highly recommended on here and has been excellent, informative and very promp in answering my queries, i think you have explained the query and hopefully put many minds at rest. :smile:

Hi there

Yes I have been thinking about this, my payment will not be due until the autumn, but I was thinking of putting the money over now, with the good exchange rate, and sending the money from myANZ account. But the bankers draft/cheque has a limit of $10.00 a day. So pputing it in daughter-in-laws account looks good. Would be good to hear what others have done. Is the exchange rate set by DIAC likely to change very much in June? I expect that would be guess work on our part.

Just wanted to send my sympathies to Val.

Best wishes Moira

Is the exchange rate set by DIAC likely to change very much in June? I expect that would be guess work on our part.

I'm a little confused.. I'd been thinking that the amount in AU$ would stay the same for the year, but the amount payable in local currency would be set twice a year to reflect changes in the exchange rate. For example, if the exchange rate improves (i.e. more AU$ for each pound - I've seen $1.60 today as opposed to $1.48 a few weeks ago) it would be better to pay after the next adjustment. Or maybe I've totally misunderstood this....

Another question, once the visa has been granted, is there a time limit within which the payment must be made?

Hi all

I have a question and would be very grateful for advice. I have an 89 year old parent on a bridging visa waiting for a subclass 804 non contributory aged parent visa. Please can anyone advise how long it is taking now for the first medical to be required? The bridging visa was granted about 19 months ago since when we have heard nothing. They could well become more frail as time goes by...it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but it is a bit nerve wracking waiting for the postman! We would be grateful for any advice

Thank you in advance

Mildy

If "settled" is limited to at least 2 years of lawful residence why are CP and Parent applicants who have been refused a visa on the basis that the sponsor is not settled subsequently successful on appeal to the MRT?

Why have CP and Parent visa applicants been granted visas when their sponsors have been living in Australia for less than 2 years?

I'm not suggesting that one should play fast and loose with the settled sponsor requirement. However, it is my belief that the PVC has not implemented policy that is in line with MRT decisions.

Maybe the PVC would like sufficient doubt to exist as to prevent applications being submitted ...

Best regards.

but why would this be Alan?? we're all looking at paying substantial amounts of $$$$ for the CPV for instance......it's in our own best interests to get the timing right....why would they want to compromise the issue do you think? the problem for me as the applicant is that my daughter will have been alone over there for long enough to have a mental breakdown by the time I can apply anyway- so I don't get why they would try to prolong the agony??? ( hers & mine) wish I could make sense of this....

Pls read booklet 3, we see that sponsor need to have PR, and need to be settle 2 years. But also it says that settle mean leaving in OZ for 2 years, even on a temp visa (page 4: to meet settle requirements, a person must have been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, usually 2 years.).

So I think, if someone who is a PR has been in OZ on a temp visa (no need to be on a PR visa)for more than 2 years, it will be ok.

However, even a citizen but do not settle, it may not be ok to sponsor a PV?

When my SIL sponsored us he was only on a temp visa and was fine as proved they were 'settled'

Phoebe

I'm a little confused.. I'd been thinking that the amount in AU$ would stay the same for the year, but the amount payable in local currency would be set twice a year to reflect changes in the exchange rate. For example, if the exchange rate improves (i.e. more AU$ for each pound - I've seen $1.60 today as opposed to $1.48 a few weeks ago) it would be better to pay after the next adjustment. Or maybe I've totally misunderstood this....

Another question, once the visa has been granted, is there a time limit within which the payment must be made?

The DIAC rate is normally adjusted twice a year, in January and July. Not really sure what they will change it to in July. As it seems to fluctuate the best thing is to check their rate when you are asked to pay by your CO and compare this with the exchange rate offered by the currency exchange companies to see if this is any better. You could also transfer the money to Oz before you are asked to pay, especially as it seems a good rate at the moment, but who knows whether it will continue to rise through June or go back down again.

Once you have the AOS in place your CO usually asks for the second VAC within 28 days.

but why would this be Alan?? we're all looking at paying substantial amounts of $$$$ for the CPV for instance......it's in our own best interests to get the timing right....why would they want to compromise the issue do you think? the problem for me as the applicant is that my daughter will have been alone over there for long enough to have a mental breakdown by the time I can apply anyway- so I don't get why they would try to prolong the agony??? ( hers & mine) wish I could make sense of this....

It is a good question, Freesia.

It appears to me that PVC sees those who apply within 2 years of their sponsor arriving in Australia as somehow queue jumping. That argument has been put to me in the last by case officers in the PVC.

Don't forget that we are dealing with a Government Department here. With all due respect to Government Departments, they are not well known for seeing these things the same way as you and I ... the concerns of us mere mortals are secondary to the whims of Ministers and the intepretations of their delegates.

Best regards.

It is a good question, Freesia.

It appears to me that PVC sees those who apply within 2 years of their sponsor arriving in Australia as somehow queue jumping. That argument has been put to me in the last by case officers in the PVC.

Don't forget that we are dealing with a Government Department here. With all due respect to Government Departments, they are not well known for seeing these things the same way as you and I ... the concerns of us mere mortals are secondary to the whims of Ministers and the intepretations of their delegates.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan.........

well we'll be past the 2year stage by the time I can apply- providing it doesn't become 2 years as PR ( I don't think that's the case though is it?) but meanwhile I've got an 11year old Aus citizen who can't move over till I can....& he'll be at the age soon where he won't want me to drag him away from his schoolmates etc.....& 2 sibs in different countries who miss each other so much....difficult enough without any further complications !

Edited by Freesia

Hi Steve

Working backwards, the visa is not granted till payment is made. They normally expect payment within 30 days of the request but extensions can be granted for valid reasons if you ask. The amount you pay for your visa is fixed at the time that you apply so increases after that do not afect you. You are correct that the exchange rate for paying in a local currency is set twice a year, but since it has done nothing but go down over the past X years whether it makes a move up this time is anyones guess.

Hello

A couple of days ago I posted this, but so far haven't had a reply. I have done my sums again, and realised that in fact it is now not 19 months since we applied, it is actually nearly 21 months!

I'd be very grateful if someone has any advice?

Kindest regards and thank you in advance.

Mildy

I have a question and would be very grateful for advice. I have an 89 year old parent on a bridging visa waiting for a subclass 804 non contributory aged parent visa. Please can anyone advise how long it is taking now for the first medical to be required? The bridging visa was granted about 19 months ago since when we have heard nothing. They could well become more frail as time goes by...it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but it is a bit nerve wracking waiting for the postman! We would be grateful for any advice

Thank you in advance

Mildy

Hello

A couple of days ago I posted this, but so far haven't had a reply. I have done my sums again, and realised that in fact it is now not 19 months since we applied, it is actually nearly 21 months!

Mildy

Thank you in advance

Mildy

Hi Mildy

I might have got the wrong end of the stick here, but from what I know of the type 804 NON-contributory aged parent visa, the wait can be up to 15–20 years. i hope that isn't a shock to you, but I think I'm right in saying that your parent is safe in Oz whatever his/her state of health.

Perhaps a chat with the people at the Parent Visa Centre in Perth is in order?

Best of luck, MIke

Hello

Mildy

Thank you in advance

Mildy

Hi

I don't think that many parents on this thread have experience of the 804. There is another thread on the Immigration Forum relating to the 804

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/131621-aged-parent-residence-visa-subclass-804-a.html

You might find the answer on there or you could try posting your query there.