Guest guest36187

Hi there, first post so please be gentle!!

We qualify for a CPV and have started to look up some info, but can some kind soul inform me where I can find out accurate info re the 2 year period after we arrive before we qualify for certain benefits, what are these. I understand about not being able to claim Aus. pension for 10 years after we arrive, but its the benfits bit that throws me. Gosh, what a lot there is to look at.

Apologies for asking something that is probably glaring at me, my excuse - blonde and excited!!

I have briefly glanced through some of the posts and am amazed at the great support on this forum.

You can find the information on Centrelink (the equivalent of our social security):

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/factors/newly_arrived.htm

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/individuals/settle_pay_permres.htm

Edited by Linday

Ohh well we know we are in the home straight :arghh: Packers are here to put our home into a container. :wacko: On boat 28th April land Freemantle 1st June.

Ohh well we know we are in the home straight :arghh: Packers are here to put our home into a container. :wacko: On boat 28th April land Freemantle 1st June.

So happy for you both :biggrin:

Live your dream life's too short for regrets :cool:

Phoebe

PS. Shove a bit if that sun my way :wink:

Edited by PhoebeW

Congratulations how wonderful I love Freemantle and have been a few times its such a fab place to live.

We have decided to move over for good in July, even if the house isn't sold, we will just rent it out until it does. Got fed up of waiting around for a sale and we want to be there for the birth of our new Grandchild. We have someone coming to view the house this Friday so we are hoping that it will be sold so fingers crossed.

Best wishes to you

Ann and Roy :-)

Hi there, first post so please be gentle!!

We qualify for a CPV and have started to look up some info, but can some kind soul inform me where I can find out accurate info re the 2 year period after we arrive before we qualify for certain benefits, what are these. I understand about not being able to claim Aus. pension for 10 years after we arrive, but its the benfits bit that throws me. Gosh, what a lot there is to look at.

Apologies for asking something that is probably glaring at me, my excuse - blonde and excited!!

I have briefly glanced through some of the posts and am amazed at the great support on this forum.

G'Day

On getting the 173/143 validated by entering Oz, you become permanent residents ("provisional" in the case of 173), so you are immediately entitled to full (not just reciprocal) Medicare benefits, and can also get a state Seniors card (for discounts on travel etc) if you are over 60. I think you have to wait three years (but not sure of the time – anyone else know?), as well as being age-qualified, to get a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, which gives discounts on prescriptions. Then, as you say, there is a 10-year wait for a state pension – which is in any case means-tested.

Mike

Edited by MikenSueNW3

Hi all, we have our medicals tomorrow and the first two viewings on our house on Saturday..............wish us luck with both!

Val x

Hi Val and Matt,

I wish you luck with the house viewings, sometimes luck is the very important factor!

Your medicals I am sure you don't need luck for! I just wish you well for these!!

Look forward to hearing good news.

Cheers Pam

Hi all, we have our medicals tomorrow and the first two viewings on our house on Saturday..............wish us luck with both!

Val x

Hi there, hope all goes well with the meds and one of the viewers makes you an offer you can't refuse! You'll soon be on your way.....good luck

Val x

Hubby suffers from "white coat syndrome" with regard to his blood pressure and spent an hour in our doctors' surgery where there is a DIY machine, taking his own test until he got one he was happy with! LOL

I've been trying to drink loads of water (probably don't normally drink enough) - don't know if it will make any difference - just feel as if I have to do something which may help!

Just wondering if any of the newer applicants for the CPV could tell me what date applications are being dealt with at the moment. It would be in the Acknowledgement letter. Tks.:arghh:

Daisy,

Our recent 143 application was acknowledged on 12 April. It stated that case officers are currently working on applications received on 17 March, 2011.

Regards

Rowley

Hi Summerdaisy,

We applied for our 173 CPV in January and it was acknownledged as having been lodged in their office on the 5 January 2012 and that they were currently processing applications received and acknowledged on the 21 October 2012!!

Looking at this time scale I am assuming (hopefully) that our application may start to be processed this time next year - unless the DIAC suddenly speed up the process (wishful thinking!).

Regards - johnandjoanmarty

Daisy,

Our recent 143 application was acknowledged on 12 April. It stated that case officers are currently working on applications received on 17 March, 2011.

Regards

Rowley

Hi Rowley, thank you so much for that, its good news really, that would mean that they are dealing with the apps in 13 months at the moment. Hopefully they will keep up the pace. Thanks again, and best of luck with your application.

Fran.

Edited by summerdaisy

Hi Summerdaisy,

We applied for our 173 CPV in January and it was acknownledged as having been lodged in their office on the 5 January 2012 and that they were currently processing applications received and acknowledged on the 21 October 2012!!

Looking at this time scale I am assuming (hopefully) that our application may start to be processed this time next year - unless the DIAC suddenly speed up the process (wishful thinking!).

Regards - johnandjoanmarty

Hi John and Joan, thanks for the reply. You will see the other reply from Rowley who was acknowledged on 12th April that they are now dealing with 17th March 2011. If that is the case, they are speeding up a bit. ( I hope I haven't calculated this wrong)!! I wonder if the 143 is dealt with more speedily or is it just the luck of the draw.

Thanks again, Fran.

Val x

Hi Val

After the time it took to sell our house the very best of luck with the viewings. Don't worry about the medicals just tell them that you suffer from white coat syndrome if the old blood pressure is up a bit.

:biggrin:

regards

Evening all! Well, meds done and (hopefully) dusted! Can't fault Bridge Clinic, Maidenhead. Everything went well until I had to give up my blood - oh my, what a pallaver, my veins went into hiding - after several attempts in both arms, eventually the nurse got enough blood (just) from the back of my hand - not exactly painfree - but I was a brave girl! Got a few bruises to show for it too! Results for bloods and X Rays back next week.

Val x

Fond memories - 'twas just over a year ago we were in Maidenhead for our medicals. I had 'white coat' sydrome and the doc asked me to lay down on the couch and he held my hand, used the manual 'thingy' rather than the automatic one which really squeezes your arm and makes me tense up even more, he chatted away to reasure me. Had the lowest ever reading!

Hi Fran,

Looks as if the DIAC has speeded up unless as you say the 143 is dealt with slightly quicker than the 173 - anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Regards - john and joan

I asked my agent for a rough idea when i would hear on getting a CO, i lodged last june 2011 she hoped i would hear around August as they are now dealing with applications from last march, i wouldn't have thought the 143 has priority over the 173, i wouldn't like to think so anyway as we are all so desperate to make the move. I have just heard i have tenants for my house as i have decided to rent and they want to move in 1st June, going to have to move in with my daughter until the big move. They seem a lovely family so i am pleased with that. Another bo ticked off my list. Ann

I think we may well have had the same doctor! He was joking away and had us in stitches! Blood pressure??? What blood pressure!!!!

hi valandmatt,

May I know how you did to have the hap ID number to front load the medical? I assume you have not have a c/o yet. Or is there any tip to get around this hap ID number? (I remember we discussed this issue while ago)

Thank you

Edited by mengancun

Hi Megancun, yes I remember the conversation on here a few weeks ago. I just phoned the Medical Centre and explained we had not yet got a CO or HAP ID, but wanted to get the medicals done sooner rather than later in case there were any issues that had to be sorted. They completely understood and they were happy to go with the FileNo from the acknowledgement letter. Also you have to confirm that the application is paper based only, and therefore cannot be done on the E Health system. They had absolutely no problems with this at all.

Val x