Guest guest36187

Hi there,

It might be an idea to try to get a free telephone consultation with a migration agent just to clarify all the points.

Good luck, Val

G'Day

I second what Val says.

I can't "recommend" – particularly as I have had no direct experience – but a number of contributors to this thread might suggest you speak to Alan Collett of Go Matilda. I believe he or one of his colleagues will give free phone advice. (He contributes to this thread, so you'll find his details a few pages back.)

But after that, assuming you have read all the literature (in particular DIAC's Booklet no 3) and ascertained that you / your parents meet all the requirements, you'd just as well go it alone – most of us on here have done so, and will confirm that it's mostly a matter of meticulous form-filling. No agent can "pull strings" for you.

Good luck, Mike

also if you & your parents download & read Booklet 3 you'll get a good idea of the "settled" requirements... although it's not a cut & dried issue..

. the thing with agents btw is not so much that they're guarding their success rates as that they don't want to forward applications that they know stand a good chance of failure if the "settled" requirements aren't likely to be met.....you wouldn't want to pay an agent to take that chance really would you? :eek:

Hi

I have been reading this thread for a while but couldn't find the answers to my question. My mom is coming here after getting her Contributory Permanent Visa granted recently. I want to know when she arrives here how long she has to stay here for before she is eligible to apply for citizenship? I read somewhere that you have to be living here for at least 4 years with minimum 12 month as Permanent Resident. But my mom will have her PR straight away, does that mean she only needs to wait 1-2 years or must be 4 years?

The reason is she also has an US green card and she wishes to keep it as well so it's kind of making sure she can come back to both Australia and US if she travels to one of them.

Thank you

Hi

I have been reading this thread for a while but couldn't find the answers to my question. My mom is coming here after getting her Contributory Permanent Visa granted recently. I want to know when she arrives here how long she has to stay here for before she is eligible to apply for citizenship? I read somewhere that you have to be living here for at least 4 years with minimum 12 month as Permanent Resident. But my mom will have her PR straight away, does that mean she only needs to wait 1-2 years or must be 4 years?

The reason is she also has an US green card and she wishes to keep it as well so it's kind of making sure she can come back to both Australia and US if she travels to one of them.

Thank you

She needs to have been here for 4 years, and not been out of the country for more than 90 days in the previous year before applying for her citizenship.

Why is the citizenship that important?

Surely, getting her feet firmly on Aussie soil is what it is all about?

John & Eirian

Hi John & Eirian

Apart from the benefits she will get once she is a citizen, the most important thing is she won't have to worry when she needs to go back to America (most of our relatives are there) as she needs to keep her green card as well and they only allow her to travel out of America in a certain time frame before losing her green card. I know she will get medicare straight away but still other benefits she can get once she is a citizen here. Both my sister and me are well settled here so she won't have much problems when she comes (she has been here number of times before as well)

Hi John & Eirian

Apart from the benefits she will get once she is a citizen, the most important thing is she won't have to worry when she needs to go back to America (most of our relatives are there) as she needs to keep her green card as well and they only allow her to travel out of America in a certain time frame before losing her green card. I know she will get medicare straight away but still other benefits she can get once she is a citizen here. Both my sister and me are well settled here so she won't have much problems when she comes (she has been here number of times before as well)

I would think from the comment about family you need to check if they pass the balance of family test first. As posted earlier read booklet No3 it should answer most of your questions. Would not worry to much about benefits if you want to be with family. Your inference is that they do not want to be in Oz permenantly anyway.

Edited by pemasaja

I would think from the comment about family you need to check if they pass the balance of family test first. As posted earlier read booklet No3 it should answer most of your questions. Would not worry to much about benefits if you want to be with family. Your inference is that they do not want to be in Oz permenantly anyway.

No she has got her PR already, and both me and my sister have been living in Adelaide for 7-10 years (we are her only children), and she will definitely stay here with us permanently as we have no plan to move anywhere else. But at the moment for the next few years because she has properties and things in America to sort out so she will have to go back there every now and then. Hence the green card she's got is very handy to keep.

Hi everyone

Just going through some stuff in my head re the VAC :arghh:

We have a little savings and a modest house to sell in the North of England (we estimate around £100,000) At least 25% of that and all our savings would have to go on the VAC :swoon:

I know once my daughter got her PR she was entitled to some help from Centrelink she has 3 children my question is once you get your PR as *oldies* would we be entitled to any help if we needed it. Obviously we wouldn't be destitute when we arrived and I know we would have money (the AoS) with Centrelink but is there any other financial help.

Just trying to look at all of the senarios. Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated :notworthy:

Phoebe

Edited by PhoebeW

Hi Kate,

We applied for the 143 in May 2010, our son and d-i-l had moved to Brisbane in February 2009, our case officer was allocated in July 2011 at which point we were asked to provide evidence that they were settled before they would proceed with our application, we emailed the following documents to our case officer: Contracts of Employment for son & d-i-l, House purchase, Mortgage statement, Car purchase, Mobile phone contracts, and birth certificate for our grandson who was born in June 2011. Our visa was granted in November 2011.

Sue

Hi all,

I am going to apply contributory parents migration visa (143) for my parents and my brother (under 18). I have been here since 2000 as a high school student and i have been working fullltime for 2 years and got my PR 6 months ago. We have got everything ready for the application except the evidence of settlement from me. So far i have a letter from my company, my group certificates for the last 5 years i have been working, my car ownership, mobile contract but i havent got a house to show. Is that gonna be problem? Can someone please show me what i can do in this case?

Thank you

Hi everyone

Just going through some stuff in my head re the VAC :arghh:

We have a little savings and a modest house to sell in the North of England (we estimate around £100,000) At least 25% of that and all our savings would have to go on the VAC :swoon:

I know once my daughter got her PR she was entitled to some help from Centrelink she has 3 children my question is once you get your PR as *oldies* would we be entitled to any help if we needed it. Obviously we wouldn't be destitute when we arrived and I know we would have money (the AoS) with Centrelink but is there any other financial help.

Just trying to look at all of the senarios. Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated :notworthy:

Phoebe

I think if you cost the state any money in the first 10 years they take it out of your AOS.

When one is 65 years old and been resident for 2 years you can apply for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card which reduced the cost of prescriptions to about $5 each....but am not aware of you being able to claim anything else until the 10 years is up....may be wrong.

Julie

Hi all,

I am going to apply contributory parents migration visa (143) for my parents and my brother (under 18). I have been here since 2000 as a high school student and i have been working fullltime for 2 years and got my PR 6 months ago. We have got everything ready for the application except the evidence of settlement from me. So far i have a letter from my company, my group certificates for the last 5 years i have been working, my car ownership, mobile contract but i havent got a house to show. Is that gonna be problem? Can someone please show me what i can do in this case?

Thank you

Hi

It's sounds like you have lots of stuff in place.

Regarding a house my daughter lives in a rental and just showed her agreements and record of regular payments.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Phoebe

I think if you cost the state any money in the first 10 years they take it out of your AOS.

When one is 65 years old and been resident for 2 years you can apply for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card which reduced the cost of prescriptions to about $5 each....but am not aware of you being able to claim anything else until the 10 years is up....may be wrong.

Julie

I thought this was the case. Just wondered if anyone already settled out there had found out differently :wink:

Phoebe

Hi all,

Thank you

G'Day

I think the posting immediately before yours – from Suke – answers your question.

Mike

Guest Power91

hi all

just one simple question for CPV

when your visa is granted do you need visa label on your passport for CPV 173

or is it all electronic??

hi all

Hello,

Yes its all electronic now - the airlines even know at check-in!

Hello,

Yes its all electronic now - the airlines even know at check-in!

...but it is still worthwhile sending your passport(s) to Australia house to get a visa label, as you can then show this as evidence to Medicare, driving licence people, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all!

Mike

Guest victoriabound

Hi there, first post so please be gentle!!

We qualify for a CPV and have started to look up some info, but can some kind soul inform me where I can find out accurate info re the 2 year period after we arrive before we qualify for certain benefits, what are these. I understand about not being able to claim Aus. pension for 10 years after we arrive, but its the benfits bit that throws me. Gosh, what a lot there is to look at.

Apologies for asking something that is probably glaring at me, my excuse - blonde and excited!!

I have briefly glanced through some of the posts and am amazed at the great support on this forum.

Hi Power91 We had instructions from our CO to send off our passports to the AU Embassy in London to have our 173 visas put in, we got them back withing 10 days.

hi all

Hi Power91 We had instructions from our CO to send off our passports to the AU Embassy in London to have our 173 visas put in, we got them back withing 10 days.

Hi Anna,

You make a very valid point in your reply. My reply was from a purely personal aspect in that I hold a British UK passport. I did not take into account that there are many other nationalities who use this forum and because of that I apologise for any confusion I may have caused. I guess the true answer is; it all depends on what passport you hold. I'm sure like Anna, when the time comes, the applicants' CO will advise whether or not you need to send your passport off to the Australian High Commission.

I also acknowledge those who said it was beneficial to get the labels in any case as it helps proving eligibility to live and work in Australia.

Val x

Edited by vava
grammatical error