Guest guest36187

Havn't been on for a few weeks (still got medical issues going on:arghh:) but happy to see more people getting their CO's and living their dream.

I might get a chance to have another try when all of this is sorted :biggrin:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe, Hope you can give it another try and also hope that things will start to look a bit brighter in the other areas too.

Keep dreaming...........Val x

Havn't been on for a few weeks (still got medical issues going on:arghh:) but happy to see more people getting their CO's and living their dream.

Phoebe

Ohhh Pheobe

I thought you were over all that, so very sorry to hear, sincerely hope it all works out very soon for you.

Thanks peeps :wink:

It's still the same thing ongoing :swoon: test after test after test after test........:SLEEP:

GP thinks he now knows what it is now (very uncommon apparantly :wideeyed:) but waiting for the final test to confirm then see if anything can be done :yes:

This time last year I was on my way to see my new grandson....he was 1 last week :wub:!!!

Phoebe

Hi all not posted anything for some time as get really down when I think of the length of time we will have to wait for our CPV 173 which was lodged with the Perth centre on the 5 January 2012 - when I read all the other posts I think that means it will be about this time next year before we will be allocated a CO!

But being positive we have been talking about bank accounts and where to live - both our children live in Melbourne, one in Bacchus Marsh and the other in Toorak (although this will not be where she will be able to afford to buy!). The question that we keep asking ourselves is it more cost effective to live with our children till we find somewhere permanent or is it better to store our belongings until that time. Not sure of how much it costs to store or rent. Also has anyone shipped their car to Oz and if so what was your experience?

Staying positive in the meantime and hoping that all of a sudden the queue will start to move faster than it has recently.

Hi, congrats on making the move and lodging your CPV 173. That is the visa I have applied for too. No ideas for you about where to live as I am heading to Brisbane. Its a long and frustrating wait, with no movement on the tracker list for a while, but I think we are all hoping that there will be a bit of a surge soon after the Easter Holidays. What dates did they say there were dealing with when you got your acknowledgement letter? This site is really a great source of information. Best of luck. Fran.

Hi all not posted anything for some time as get really down when I think of the length of time we will have to wait for our CPV 173 which was lodged with the Perth centre on the 5 January 2012 - when I read all the other posts I think that means it will be about this time next year before we will be allocated a CO!

But being positive we have been talking about bank accounts and where to live - both our children live in Melbourne, one in Bacchus Marsh and the other in Toorak (although this will not be where she will be able to afford to buy!). The question that we keep asking ourselves is it more cost effective to live with our children till we find somewhere permanent or is it better to store our belongings until that time. Not sure of how much it costs to store or rent. Also has anyone shipped their car to Oz and if so what was your experience?

Staying positive in the meantime and hoping that all of a sudden the queue will start to move faster than it has recently.

Don't really know anything about renting/storage sorry but the general opinion on shipping your car is if you have a decent one (new/nearly new/low milage etc) or perhaps vintage then shipping can be an option as second hand car prices in Oz (Queensland at least) are crazy:swoon:.

We were going to ship ours it's an 8 year old Amazon but only 40,000 on the clock and excellent condition. Our reasoning was as we bought it from new we would get hardly anything for it if we sold in the UK and wouldn't get a one anywhere as good for the money we would get (if that makes sense) I think the costings were around £7000/£7500 last year but I'm sure someone said on here you could ship it in a large container with your other stuff.

Maybe someone can help you more on this. Sadly we got our CO last year and had to send him back due to our circumstances at the time :confused:

Phoebe

Phoebe

I certainly hope you do get another chance, you deserve it.

Best wishe Moira

Hi John and Joan

Th problem with shipping cars is the GST on the value in Oz not on the UK value. Shipping is no great problem and I was quoted £1000 but that was dockside Plymouth to dockside Melbourne?. We are going to Perth so all extra costs on the car made it a none starter.

On the subject of living with children in grannyflat? have a look at a company called Wide Span Sheds. They do very nice pre fabricated houses. May suit your needs.

Best of luck and do not worry the time to a CO will fly.

Hi John and Joan

Th problem with shipping cars is the GST on the value in Oz not on the UK value. Shipping is no great problem and I was quoted £1000 but that was dockside Plymouth to dockside Melbourne?. We are going to Perth so all extra costs on the car made it a none starter.

On the subject of living with children in grannyflat? have a look at a company called Wide Span Sheds. They do very nice pre fabricated houses. May suit your needs.

Best of luck and do not worry the time to a CO will fly.

I'm not sure where I read it – I'll try to find it – but you can import a car tax free when you emigrate so long as you have owned and used it overseas for at least a year beforehand.

Mike

In the Transport & Shipping section of this forum there is a sticky that tells you "all you need to know about shipping your car".

Ian

I'm not sure where I read it – I'll try to find it – but you can import a car tax free when you emigrate so long as you have owned and used it overseas for at least a year beforehand.

Mike

That would b interesting Mike thanks :smile:

Phoebe

Hi All

Well we've made a couple of decisions. First of all after we did the year end sums we are going to keep the business going for another 12 months and review again next year.

We are also hoping to get back out to Oz maybe beginning of December (if the hospital gets it's finger out!!) for about 8 weeks (thats the maximum we can be away from the business).

Our idea is to buy a small Motor Home and in between seeing our family (it's been a long time :cry:) we are going to tour some of Queenslands East Coast, hubby still isn't convinced he want's to spend the money on CPV's :eek: so hopefully this and I can convince him so, if any of you are in the areas we go to it would be great to have a cuppa and tell hubby how fantastic it is living there :wink:.

We have also talked about CPV's and decided the best course would be the 173 apart from the financial side hubby feels it gives us a fallback if we decide not to stay and can also (hopefully) work and make some of the money back in the meantime :biggrin:

Hubby is running by the idea that if we do that we should rent our house out in the UK so it's making money for us but I'm not so sure, yes of course the money would be useful but I'm just a bit *ummmm* about renting our house out if we want to come back to it.

Am I being stupid on this? Has anyone here done/considered that?

Would appreciate any input. :notworthy:

Phoebe

Hi Pheobe, we went though the same feelings as you with regard to renting our house. We've lived in the same house for 30 years and the thought of someone else living here was really quite strange. But we rented it out (I never saw the nice people in our house - didn't want to - what the eye doesn't see, the mind doesn't worry over!). We were in Oz for 6 months and did quite a bit of touring of Queensland and drove down to Sydney for Xmas, and to be honest the rental income was really, really handy. Its not cheap what with fuel, camp site fees, food etc, and we were economical along the way! So when we arrived back in UK we were "homeless" for 6 months as the tenants asked for another 6 months to find somewhere to live permanently and they had school-age children. And you know what, it was really o.k. because at the end of it all we still owned the house and we knew we would eventually come back to it - a cushion, if you like. All in all we lived out of a suitcase for a whole year.

And during our 6 months in Oz that's when my hubby decided he could see no reason not to emigrate to be with the family, so we also applied for the 173 temp CPV and we're hoping to get CO in the next 3 months-ish. Our house is now on the market to be sold and medicals are booked for the end of April, and do you know what - I feel so excited and really quite scared as well, lots of "what-ifs". But we've done it once - our friends won't let us sleep on the streets - today I feel brave, tomorrow I'll be a quivering mess saying OMG what are we doing. We've been married 40 years in June and in all that time neither of us had any incliniation to emmigrate, yet here we are following our kids to the other side of the world to start a new life, can barely think of anything else if its not Oz related - bring it on!

So yes, if your're passing, we'd love you to call in for a cuppa, (or a beer!)

Its good to have a plan - and yours sounds like a good one - all the best!

Val x

Hi Pheobe, we went though the same feelings as you with regard to renting our house. We've lived in the same house for 30 years and the thought of someone else living here was really quite strange. But we rented it out (I never saw the nice people in our house - didn't want to - what the eye doesn't see, the mind doesn't worry over!). We were in Oz for 6 months and did quite a bit of touring of Queensland and drove down to Sydney for Xmas, and to be honest the rental income was really, really handy. Its not cheap what with fuel, camp site fees, food etc, and we were economical along the way! So when we arrived back in UK we were "homeless" for 6 months as the tenants asked for another 6 months to find somewhere to live permanently and they had school-age children. And you know what, it was really o.k. because at the end of it all we still owned the house and we knew we would eventually come back to it - a cushion, if you like. All in all we lived out of a suitcase for a whole year.

And during our 6 months in Oz that's when my hubby decided he could see no reason not to emigrate to be with the family, so we also applied for the 173 temp CPV and we're hoping to get CO in the next 3 months-ish. Our house is now on the market to be sold and medicals are booked for the end of April, and do you know what - I feel so excited and really quite scared as well, lots of "what-ifs". But we've done it once - our friends won't let us sleep on the streets - today I feel brave, tomorrow I'll be a quivering mess saying OMG what are we doing. We've been married 40 years in June and in all that time neither of us had any incliniation to emmigrate, yet here we are following our kids to the other side of the world to start a new life, can barely think of anything else if its not Oz related - bring it on!

So yes, if your're passing, we'd love you to call in for a cuppa, (or a beer!)

Its good to have a plan - and yours sounds like a good one - all the best!

Val x

Hi Val

Thanks for your reply it's sound pretty much the route we would go.

We've lived in our house 25 years also and like you say at the end of it it's still your house.

Do you mind telling me how long did you rent out for initially and did you rent it furnished? I couldn't see the point of renting the house then paying storage for furniture.

That beer sounds good Good luck with everything :biggrin:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe, we signed up for 2 years, BUT with a clause that either side could give a month's notice after 6 months, so we gave them notice after 11 months. I preferred to rent unfurnished anyway as there were lots of hurdles to jump, with regard to furniture/mattresses having proof of fire retardent etc, and of course our tenants did not want to pay for storage, so we paid for our stuff to go into storage. Which actually wasn't so bad as it sounds, as you get to do a lot of the decluttering - STAGE ONE! Then, when the shippers come - decluttering STAGE TWO! Not half so bad as having to do it all in one go!

It sounds silly now to think I was quite "precious" about bricks and mortar, memories and all of that, but if you do go down the rental route, it does put it into perspective and softens the blow! The only other thing to organise is the EPC - energy something or other - cost about £70, but lasts 10 years! Oh and we also paid the estate agent a monthly maintenance fee as we were out of the country! They inspected regularly and sent reports and collected the rent on our behalf. Good to know someone was keeping an eye on the place.

Hope this helps, anything else - just ask.

Val x

Just been having a little chuckle to myself at VALANDMATT's decluttering. I have started on the top cupboard in the bedroom today and have FINALLY thrown away all the cards we received for the births of our daughters (now aged 33 & 30) aswell as years and years of anniversary cards and special Christmas cards.........the list goes on and the paper recycling bin is full!

Another good thing to come out of the decluttering is that I made £26.15 by taking all our unwanted clothes, towels and bedding to our local recycling centre. They weigh it and give you 40p per kilo. Just got to get rid of the millions of books in the loft now!

Happy decluttering to all those about to begin the next part of the journey to Oz! Val x

Hi Phoebe, we signed up for 2 years, BUT with a clause that either side could give a month's notice after 6 months, so we gave them notice after 11 months. I preferred to rent unfurnished anyway as there were lots of hurdles to jump, with regard to furniture/mattresses having proof of fire retardent etc, and of course our tenants did not want to pay for storage, so we paid for our stuff to go into storage. Which actually wasn't so bad as it sounds, as you get to do a lot of the decluttering - STAGE ONE! Then, when the shippers come - decluttering STAGE TWO! Not half so bad as having to do it all in one go!

It sounds silly now to think I was quite "precious" about bricks and mortar, memories and all of that, but if you do go down the rental route, it does put it into perspective and softens the blow! The only other thing to organise is the EPC - energy something or other - cost about £70, but lasts 10 years! Oh and we also paid the estate agent a monthly maintenance fee as we were out of the country! They inspected regularly and sent reports and collected the rent on our behalf. Good to know someone was keeping an eye on the place.

Hope this helps, anything else - just ask.

Val x

Yes our daughter has an agent for her house and they are very good.

It's just good to know I'm not just being *silly* feeling as I do.

It's very early days yet gonna do the *tour* first to see how hubby feels before we make the visa decision, after all he has to be as certain as me that he wants the move. His mam is also still around (sadly mine's not) and I think this is having some influence on him even though he say's it isn't........men:cute:

Phoebe

Ah VaVa, yes, the years and years and years of cards...........why do we keep them? Yes, for sentimental reasons - but have you ever looked at them since you put them in the cupboard? Probably not - I certainly haven't looked at mine! We went through our loft a while ago and found cards we sent each other before we were married! Remember those hideous thickly padded cards - they were all damp and mouldy and mis-shapen - I'm afraid we filled many a black sack destined for the recycling paper bin!

That's a result getting money for your old bedding etc - that doesn't happen at our local recycling centre! Wish it did though! We also had so much of our kids school and college work - they don't want it, so why should I keep it? Although I did keep a few good bits - can't get rid of everything - can't be too ruthless! But then it'll probably go in the next round of decluttering! At the end of the day its just "stuff". I'm blowed if I'm going to pay to have it shipped to Oz - only to be put in the loft over there! (Hope I practice what I preach!)

Just waiting for the car boots to start up at the end of the month - hoping to make a bit of money - or at least find a good home for our unwanted bits and bobs!

Val x

Yes our daughter has an agent for her house and they are very good.

It's just good to know I'm not just being *silly* feeling as I do.

It's very early days yet gonna do the *tour* first to see how hubby feels before we make the visa decision, after all he has to be as certain as me that he wants the move. His mam is also still around (sadly mine's not) and I think this is having some influence on him even though he say's it isn't........men:cute:

Phoebe

My hubby's Mum is still around too and its hard to make that decision - luckily she is very active and independent although she's 86 - and I don't think she truly believes we are going - especially as the visa is taking 14 months-ish - she doesn't understand why we have to wait in a queue!

Your extended time in Oz should help with the decision making.

Good luck, Val x

Ah VaVa, yes, the years and years and years of cards...........why do we keep them? Yes, for sentimental reasons - but have you ever looked at them since you put them in the cupboard? Probably not - I certainly haven't looked at mine! We went through our loft a while ago and found cards we sent each other before we were married! Remember those hideous thickly padded cards - they were all damp and mouldy and mis-shapen - I'm afraid we filled many a black sack destined for the recycling paper bin!

That's a result getting money for your old bedding etc - that doesn't happen at our local recycling centre! Wish it did though! We also had so much of our kids school and college work - they don't want it, so why should I keep it? Although I did keep a few good bits - can't get rid of everything - can't be too ruthless! But then it'll probably go in the next round of decluttering! At the end of the day its just "stuff". I'm blowed if I'm going to pay to have it shipped to Oz - only to be put in the loft over there! (Hope I practice what I preach!)

Just waiting for the car boots to start up at the end of the month - hoping to make a bit of money - or at least find a good home for our unwanted bits and bobs!

Val x

Hi Val

Don't forget about the brilliant ebay and Gumtree for the warmer/laze in bed option.

Good evening all can anyone help me please we have / my OH got us our 176 visa s and are flyng out on the 5th August..The thing i want to ask is my son s dad as hit rock bottom alot of things have happened to him as late and he really needs a fresh start..my son is 16 yrs i have a brother and sister that could/would sponsor my son s dad they live in Brisbane and have done so for 6 yrs..He does not have any money to buy his way in..he was a civil engineer but due to his parents passing away he gave his job up some 4 yrs ago..and now can not get back into the same work in the uk..so wouldnt be able to apply for his own visa? i think he could apply for a non age parent visa? he s 42 yrs old and only got my son...But i believe it could take him 15 yrs? could he apply for a bridging visa ? does anyone have any advice how we could get him in oz the quicker the better? less cost of doing so? maybe a job sponsor? i worry my son will not settle with us in oz if he leaves his father in the uk..all help grateful wendy xxx

thing is... he need s to be able to get a visa of his own & this will be based on his own skills & working experience.... he gave up working at the age of 38? maybe he could get back into civils for a few years & then apply? that might be the fresh start he needs.. with the goal at the end of it being migration? he can't apply for a parent vise since you've already done it yourself!!

unfortunately there is no magical solution for any of us until we actually qualify for a visa in our own right & there is a cost to that ..& obviously part of that is also the emotional cost of a child moving away from a parent.. sad but you do at least know that is going to happen & presumably will prepare him for it ? skype will be brilliant for him to keep in touch with dad :fish2:

Edited by Freesia

Good evening all can anyone help me please we have / my OH got us our 176 visa s and are flyng out on the 5th August..The thing i want to ask is my son s dad as hit rock bottom alot of things have happened to him as late and he really needs a fresh start..my son is 16 yrs i have a brother and sister that could/would sponsor my son s dad they live in Brisbane and have done so for 6 yrs..He does not have any money to buy his way in..he was a civil engineer but due to his parents passing away he gave his job up some 4 yrs ago..and now can not get back into the same work in the uk..so wouldnt be able to apply for his own visa? i think he could apply for a non age parent visa? he s 42 yrs old and only got my son...But i believe it could take him 15 yrs? could he apply for a bridging visa ? does anyone have any advice how we could get him in oz the quicker the better? less cost of doing so? maybe a job sponsor? i worry my son will not settle with us in oz if he leaves his father in the uk..all help grateful wendy xxx

Your son might be able to sponsor his father for a parent visa after he has been in Oz for 2 years, but as his father is under 65 it would need to be an offshore visa. Unfortunately there is a 15-20 year waiting list for the normal parent visa 103. The only real option for a parent visa would be a Contributory Parent visa, but this is costly, around $50,000. The best thing would be to have a chat with a migration agent to see what the possibilities are. Maybe he could get employer sponsored, but not sure if he hasn't worked for a while. Make sure the agent you speak to is MARA registered.

Ok here we go,... Someone give me some positive info!!

I am moving to oz on a perm 176 visa in a couple of months!

my sister is also there and we desperately want our parents to join us ASAP!

So I ring immi and they advise me the 173 an 143 are a good option for my parents,... But two years settled?!?

ive known about this for a while and have researched into what they class as settled and they keep this pretty vague!

When I asked immi if we could apply before 2yrs, say 1?!, they responded with its possible if I'm settled!

i said my child will be in school, husband employed, mortgage, car on finance! Is this settled enough?! And they said it depends on each applicants application!

Also agents won't do it before 2yrs as understandably they don't want it to effect their pass rate!

Has anyone been granted either the 143 or 173 within the 2yrs and what declared you as settled so I can do the same!!!??

Please help!! :-) thank you kate

also if anyone knows of agents that will and can fight on our behalf let me know!

Ok here we go,... Someone give me some positive info!!

I am moving to oz on a perm 176 visa in a couple of months!

my sister is also there and we desperately want our parents to join us ASAP!

So I ring immi and they advise me the 173 an 143 are a good option for my parents,... But two years settled?!?

ive known about this for a while and have researched into what they class as settled and they keep this pretty vague!

When I asked immi if we could apply before 2yrs, say 1?!, they responded with its possible if I'm settled!

i said my child will be in school, husband employed, mortgage, car on finance! Is this settled enough?! And they said it depends on each applicants application!

Also agents won't do it before 2yrs as understandably they don't want it to effect their pass rate!

Has anyone been granted either the 143 or 173 within the 2yrs and what declared you as settled so I can do the same!!!??

Please help!! :-) thank you kate

also if anyone knows of agents that will and can fight on our behalf let me know!

Hi there,

You say that your sister is there already...................how long has she been a permanent resident? If she fulfils the "settled" requirements then she will be able to sponsor. I assume the balance of family test is ok and that there are no other siblings of yours to take into account. If there are, I'm afraid your parents may have to wait for a while before they can apply.

It might be an idea to try to get a free telephone consultation with a migration agent just to clarify all the points.

Good luck, Val