Guest guest36187

my sister is a permanent residence of australia.. i live in australia as a fulltime student

about a year ago my sister applied for my parents permanent residency as a Contributory Parent Visa permanent 173

now immigration has asked for my parents medicals and Police clearance

they have also asked my medicals and police clearence

The question is why are they asking my medical and police check when i wasnt even included in application??

does it mean im getting permanent too because of im dependent on my parents for my fee etc???

and how long more does it take once you have given medicals and police checkss already been 15 months.

Answers in details would be highly appreciated

thanks guys !!!

Probably because you are a dependent of your parents and are therefore still part of what is called the "family unit" for visa purposes.

As a rule all members of the family unit have to pass medicals and character (police) checks.

Best regards.

It all depends!

http://www.superguide.com.au/

Have a look at this website - and feel able to contact me by way of an email (click on my name to the left of this post) if you would like to discuss with my financial planning colleague.

Best regards.

This link is brilliant, thanks for that Alan. I am still after payments from my first temp job so the tips page is very useful. It looks like I am not alone in finding out that payments are not made even if indicated on wage slips that they are.

Regards

Les

Morning all,

We are ready to apply for the permanent 143 after being granted a temp 173 last November. I am about to send our completed form 47PT to my daughter along with a blank sponsorship form 40 for her to fill in. It advises in the notes for form 47PT that if circumstances remain the same, proof documents are not required. Does anyone know if that also applies to my daughter? DIAC had all the certified copies of everything in 2010 when we applied and nothing has changed.

It seems silly to go to all the bother and expense of getting more certified copies if it's not necessary. I know Linday recently did this application so perhaps if you read this Linday you might be able to help.

Thanks in advance....................Val x

Hi Val

We lodged our 143 soon after we arrived in Australia and I emailed my case officer for the 173 just to check. She told me there was no need to resubmit all the documents again, but suggested submitting a copy of our passports. She said they would ask for anything if they needed it. I submitted my application with a covering letter referring to the email and giving the name of the case officer just to be on the safe side. We didn't get asked for anything else till we got the email asking for the AOS. Hope this helps.

Hi Val

We lodged our 143 soon after we arrived in Australia and I emailed my case officer for the 173 just to check. She told me there was no need to resubmit all the documents again, but suggested submitting a copy of our passports. She said they would ask for anything if they needed it. I submitted my application with a covering letter referring to the email and giving the name of the case officer just to be on the safe side. We didn't get asked for anything else till we got the email asking for the AOS. Hope this helps.

G'Day Linday

As a matter of interest, how long did the 173>143 take you? We haven't heard a thing since the acknowledgement letter in January, six weeks after sending in the forms (although admittedly Christmas/New Year did intervene).

Mike

Hi Val

Thanks so much Linday,

I spoke to my daughter last night and she pointed out that since our 173 application she and her husband have become Australian citizens as well as having a baby so it might be worth mentioning this in a covering letter and will also enclose copies of our passports too.

Fingers crossed it'll all go smoothly!

Thanks again! Val x

G'Day Linday

As a matter of interest, how long did the 173>143 take you? We haven't heard a thing since the acknowledgement letter in January, six weeks after sending in the forms (although admittedly Christmas/New Year did intervene).

Mike

Hi Mike

They normally say 4-6 months, but it took just over 7 months for us. This was due to Centrelink in Brisbane dragging their feet however (took 10 weeks to sort out the AOS) rather than anything to do with DIAC. We didn't hear anything after receiving the acknowledgement letter until we got the request for the AOS.

Hi Mike

They normally say 4-6 months, but it took just over 7 months for us. This was due to Centrelink in Brisbane dragging their feet however (took 10 weeks to sort out the AOS) rather than anything to do with DIAC. We didn't hear anything after receiving the acknowledgement letter until we got the request for the AOS.

Thanks, Linday; so it was about four months from acknowledgement date to CO? In which case (allowing for Christmas) we'll hope to hear something about the end of the month. Let's hope Centrelink Sydney are more on the ball than Brissie!

Mike

Hi everyone,

Did anyone apply for a CPV recently? On your acknowledgement letter, applications from which date are they currently processing? I don't see much movement in the tracker either.

End of February, they were doing third week of November, 2010.

Edited by toOZ2012

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any websites where I could get the cost of the prescription medications. I take a few different types (hoping to come off some before next year) but just looking ahead to how much it could cost. Don't know anything yet about Medicare but as I will be on a 173 to begin with, don't know if I would be entitled to anything.

Cath

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any websites where I could get the cost of the prescription medications. I take a few different types (hoping to come off some before next year) but just looking ahead to how much it could cost. Don't know anything yet about Medicare but as I will be on a 173 to begin with, don't know if I would be entitled to anything.

Cath

Hi Cath

It will come as a bit of a shock to you I expect when you see the cost of prescriptions particularly if, like us, you were entitled to free prescriptions in the UK. The first month we were here I nearly keeled over when we had to pay $170 for our regurlar scripts. So that was the first lesson learnt, not to use the pharmacy right by the doctor's surgery. We now use Chemist Wharehouse which brought the cost right down. www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/aboutus/storelocations.asp

I can't help with what your medicare entitlements are with on a 173 as we are here on the 143. Perhaps Linday can help with this one.

Best wishes

Cath

My BP meds are cheaper than I thought - 3 different ones at around $30 a month for all of them - not too bad and this is from my local chemist - the warehouse could only save me $2 - $3 but involved a 20 minute drive there and back. (on a 143 and have basic Medicare - qualify for a seniors discount after 2 years)

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Thanks for the info Cath. Knew I would have to pay for everything, but like you all my meds are free in UK. Will check out that website so that I have an idea of what to expect.

Cath

Guest Cathwotherspoon
My BP meds are cheaper than I thought - 3 different ones at around $30 a month for all of them - not too bad and this is from my local chemist - the warehouse could only save me $2 - $3 but involved a 20 minute drive there and back. (on a 143 and have basic Medicare - qualify for a seniors discount after 2 years)

I take 2 BP meds plus an assortment of others - guess its just a matter of shopping around

Thanks

Cath

Hi Everyone

Don't know anything yet about Medicare but as I will be on a 173 to begin with, don't know if I would be entitled to anything.

Cath

G'Day Cath

You get full Medicare benefits (not just "reciprocal" emergency-only treatment, which is what you get as a visitor), but the card is marked "Provisional" or somesuch, and is valid for only two years in the first instance – you need to renew it when you get the 143 upgrade.

Mike

Guest Cathwotherspoon
G'Day Cath

You get full Medicare benefits (not just "reciprocal" emergency-only treatment, which is what you get as a visitor), but the card is marked "Provisional" or somesuch, and is valid for only two years in the first instance – you need to renew it when you get the 143 upgrade.

Mike

Thanks for that bit of information Mike - that is good news.

Cath

Is anybody else having a problem with the Money/Transfares link at the top of the page, everytime i click on it the last couple of days i keep getting ' problem on page ' i like to see what the exchange rate is doing, keep hoping it will go a tad higher to transfer some money over to my oz bank for the visa payment. So hoping for some improvement. The tracker seems to have slowed up again as much as i love these holiday breaks you find yourself wishing them over so the CO's can get back to work. LOL

Is anybody else having a problem with the Money/Transfares link at the top of the page, everytime i click on it the last couple of days i keep getting ' problem on page ' i like to see what the exchange rate is doing, keep hoping it will go a tad higher to transfer some money over to my oz bank for the visa payment. So hoping for some improvement. The tracker seems to have slowed up again as much as i love these holiday breaks you find yourself wishing them over so the CO's can get back to work. LOL

I checked it on here the other day and the rate was 1.50 I think. So I sent some over with Halo Financial on Wednesday (4th) and got 1.53. They say things may change for the better towards the end of April but there are no guarantees! I was happy enough with 1.53. Good luck!

Val x

Is anybody else having a problem with the Money/Transfares link at the top of the page, everytime i click on it the last couple of days i keep getting ' problem on page ' i like to see what the exchange rate is doing, keep hoping it will go a tad higher to transfer some money over to my oz bank for the visa payment. So hoping for some improvement.

I get the same – maybe because of Easter weekend??

I keep an eye on the rate via the BBC website – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/15/intraday.stm.

You'll always get a slightly worse rate in practice of course, but you can see how it's heading.

Mike

I checked it on here the other day and the rate was 1.50 I think. So I sent some over with Halo Financial on Wednesday (4th) and got 1.53. They say things may change for the better towards the end of April but there are no guarantees! I was happy enough with 1.53. Good luck!

Val x

I haven't heard of that one, i used HIFX to transfer a small amount as a trial run to my oz bank Westpac, i chose HIFX as you can do all the transfer on line right into your bank account in oz. I haven't sent any since as the rate took a nose dive and has took ages to creep back up, may keep a check and transfer some next week in the hope it may budge up a tad more. I am hopeless and terrified of all the financial side of emigrating. Thanks for the reply folks. Ann

Hi again Ann,

I made a comparison between HiFX and Halo before we got our visa and needed funds to be over there and found Halo to give a slightly better rate. I just transfer from my online bank to their account and they do the deal. Its really simple and they always talk you through it on the phone to make sure you want to deal at that rate. I could have risked waiting for the rate to improve but I'm on a fairly good rate of interest with ANZ so I dealt at 1.53 as I don't get any interest here! Val x

Hi again Ann,

I made a comparison between HiFX and Halo before we got our visa and needed funds to be over there and found Halo to give a slightly better rate. I just transfer from my online bank to their account and they do the deal. Its really simple and they always talk you through it on the phone to make sure you want to deal at that rate. I could have risked waiting for the rate to improve but I'm on a fairly good rate of interest with ANZ so I dealt at 1.53 as I don't get any interest here! Val x

It may be worth checking UKForex/OzForex too; their rate improves if you send larger sums, and again you can send direct to an Oz bank account.

Mike

Guest wearytraveller

Hi,

I have been recently (3 Mar 2012) been granted my PR (RSMS 857). I am wish to know what is the easiest route to get PR for my parents. I am their only kid.My dad and mom are 52 year old. Is there any waiting period for me to sponsor them.

warm regards,

Ram

Hi,

I have been recently (3 Mar 2012) been granted my PR (RSMS 857). I am wish to know what is the easiest route to get PR for my parents. I am their only kid.My dad and mom are 52 year old. Is there any waiting period for me to sponsor them.

warm regards,

Ram

Hi Ram

Do not know if they could get state or employment sponsorship, depends on their qualifications. Start as we recommend everyone to start by reading booklet No 3 on the IMMI website. If you go back a few pages someone listed the web link to take you straight to it. It would seem that they will be emigrating on a contributory Parents Visa. They appear to pass the balance of family test. Once read we can answer any vaguaries that are thrown up.

regards

Havn't been on for a few weeks (still got medical issues going on:arghh:) but happy to see more people getting their CO's and living their dream.

I might get a chance to have another try when all of this is sorted :biggrin:

Phoebe