Guest guest36187

Having had a delay in getting our sponsor to lodge the AOS,we finally had it notified to Centrelink/Immigration on 18 April and after chasing up we got our 2nd VAC request on 01 May,a bit of a delay but we did not know when it had been cleared until later.

So we have an initial entry date of 13 June,I am onshore,OH offshore in UK and it turns out initial date cannot be extended,not a problem for me,later this month a trip abroad & return.....but OH does not want to return until Sept........the problem is that the medicals we had done in advance run out 13 June...the solution to phone London Oz office,explain and take another medical (& pass fit,of course)Cannot be done before 13 June for some reason & not really important in the great scheme of things but technically the visa unless extended by another medical would have run out and boarding would be denied for a UK departure (but not for Oz entry, apparently..such is the system.

My CO also confirmed penal checks & medicals valid for 1 year but not a good idea to do too soon,you learn some expensive lessons in this process! Hope this helps others......although I had more penal checks done in Feb 12 as CO demanded,stating existing 6/11 dated checks had expired,I just did them.LOL.

Spent 50mins in a Q,in a bank to ensure that the limit on daily transfers from our account would not apply to a $75,930 demand from Immi,it does not if funds are present.

Good luck to y'all

And after all that 1 hour later I got an email saying my CO had a word with his supervisor and we have had an extension until 30 September !!After explaining to OH how I had got it wrong (again).Plus la change...back to plan B or c or ?

Edited by Scroogemacduck
additional info

Having had a delay in getting our sponsor to lodge the AOS,we finally had it notified to Centrelink/Immigration on 18 April and after chasing up we got our 2nd VAC request on 01 May,a bit of a delay but we did not know when it had been cleared until later.

So we have an initial entry date of 13 June,I am onshore,OH offshore in UK and it turns out initial date cannot be extended,not a problem for me,later this month a trip abroad & return.....but OH does not want to return until Sept........the problem is that the medicals we had done in advance run out 13 June...the solution to phone London Oz office,explain and take another medical (& pass fit,of course)Cannot be done before 13 June for some reason & not really important in the great scheme of things but technically the visa unless extended by another medical would have run out and boarding would be denied for a UK departure (but not for Oz entry, apparently..such is the system.

My CO also confirmed penal checks & medicals valid for 1 year but not a good idea to do too soon,you learn some expensive lessons in this process! Hope this helps others......although I had more penal checks done in Feb 12 as CO demanded,stating existing 6/11 dated checks had expired,I just did them.LOL.

Spent 50mins in a Q,in a bank to ensure that the limit on daily transfers from our account would not apply to a $75,930 demand from Immi,it does not if funds are present.

Good luck to y'all[/quote

Sounds like its full steam ahead for you guys I'm jealous :wink:

I do know of a couple of people who's CO allowed them a 3 month extension on their meds. Did you ask yours being so close to your date?

Good luck :biggrin:

Phoebe

<snip>

Good luck to y'all

Remember that you can't settle the main Visa Application Charge by way of a transfer of funds to DIAC.

The VAC can be paid by bank draft (I recommend speaking to the likes of Moneycorp, who can - I believe - arrange A$ bank drafts at a good exchange rate), or by credit card.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

If she is in Oz then could she not transfer the money via Moneycorp/ozforex etcto their Oz bank account then get a bank draft from the Oz account to send to DIAC. We used our daughters Oz account who kindly arranged the draft and posting as we were not in Oz at the time

I think there is a practical difficulty in arranging a bank draft from an Aus bank if you are not there in person to place the order/pick up the draft. It might be do-able - but likely to be easier to arrange from the UK.

As agents we facilitate the VAC payment for clients using our Aus company credit card => paying using a c/card is another option if the credit limit is high enough, or if you can put your card into a credit balance scenario, but only do this if you have an A$ credit card. The exchange rate you would be charged using a GBP c/card to pay such a large A$ amount would cost.

Best regards.

Woke up thi morning in a sweat and palpitations with the enormity of this parent visa, it's took all my savings and my sanity i think, been dribbling money over to my oz bank in preparation for the 2nd vac and it's so dissapointing to see how little we get now. must stop reading posts on other threads jut how expensive it is over there. Think i feel it's for real now as i have tenants moving into my house 1st june, they seem a lovely family which is a relief. Also had a scare with a breast lump that was removed and biopsy result was benign ( thank goodness ) have letter from consultant to take to medical when i go. All a bit of a rollercoaster just now, good days bad days seems to be the norm these days. Must stay possitive and keep telling myself how lucky i am to have this chance, i seem to worry over things that haven't happened yet, as in what if i get sick and can't work to pay the rent etc.... lordy lord it goes on and on...... sorry for moaning ..... but the sun is shining today so things can only get better....... thats off my chest so all good now. :chatterbox::twitcy:

So sorry to hear about your health scare and glad that everything is sorted now. I think the panic and the stress is normal. I used to wake up in the middle of the night thinking what have we done! Especially as things start to happen and it becomes reality. Things are expensive here, but it depends what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. It's easier if you are earning Oz dollars. There are places you can get food cheaper, especially fruit and vegetables. Eating out is expensive, but then we don't eat out in the city every night and go out to all the bars like some of the younger ones. That kind of lifestyle is certainly very expensive in Perth. Just try and focus on the positive, ie being with the family(can't put a price on that) and the great weather. If it doesn't work out at least you have your house back in the UK. Also noticed that the exchange rate seems to be on the up at the moment and according to hubby there are signs it might improve further. Maybe we can meet up for a chat when you get here?

Woke up thi morning in a sweat and palpitations with the enormity of this parent visa, it's took all my savings and my sanity i think, been dribbling money over to my oz bank in preparation for the 2nd vac and it's so dissapointing to see how little we get now. must stop reading posts on other threads jut how expensive it is over there. Think i feel it's for real now as i have tenants moving into my house 1st june, they seem a lovely family which is a relief. Also had a scare with a breast lump that was removed and biopsy result was benign ( thank goodness ) have letter from consultant to take to medical when i go. All a bit of a rollercoaster just now, good days bad days seems to be the norm these days. Must stay possitive and keep telling myself how lucky i am to have this chance, i seem to worry over things that haven't happened yet, as in what if i get sick and can't work to pay the rent etc.... lordy lord it goes on and on...... sorry for moaning ..... but the sun is shining today so things can only get better....... thats off my chest so all good now. :chatterbox::twitcy:

Hi Liverpoolloo, you really put into words exactly how I feel sometimes. The trouble, I think, is that there is too much time waiting for the Visa and so we have wobblies and worries where there probably is none. If it was all processed quickly we wouldn't have the time to worry about the various costs - the money would be handed over and we would be there seeing for ourselves how we cope with living costs. Obviously, from a practical point of view, most of us need the time to get our finances etc in order, but really there is not much to be done until nearer the time anyway.

I wake up some mornings thinking that maybe my daughter doesn't really want us to go - absolutely stupid thoughts I know - but shows how paranoid I have become - totally impatient and feel my life is in limbo whilst waiting for Visa - and of course, that's not definite yet.

I am sure you and all of us will be absolutely fine once we get to Oz - we will "cut our cloth accordingly" and being able to see our grandkids as and when we want is priceless! This is the thought I hang onto when doubts start to creep in regarding the huge outlay to get us to Oz.

You are not alone!

Val x

Hi Liverpoolloo, you really put into words exactly how I feel sometimes. The trouble, I think, is that there is too much time waiting for the Visa and so we have wobblies and worries where there probably is none. If it was all processed quickly we wouldn't have the time to worry about the various costs - the money would be handed over and we would be there seeing for ourselves how we cope with living costs. Obviously, from a practical point of view, most of us need the time to get our finances etc in order, but really there is not much to be done until nearer the time anyway.

I wake up some mornings thinking that maybe my daughter doesn't really want us to go - absolutely stupid thoughts I know - but shows how paranoid I have become - totally impatient and feel my life is in limbo whilst waiting for Visa - and of course, that's not definite yet.

I am sure you and all of us will be absolutely fine once we get to Oz - we will "cut our cloth accordingly" and being able to see our grandkids as and when we want is priceless! This is the thought I hang onto when doubts start to creep in regarding the huge outlay to get us to Oz.

You are not alone!

Val x

Hi all

Totally agree with all you have said. We are now here and until you arrive and see the smiles on everyones faces then all the doubts and fears pale into insignificance.

Hi everyone,

I have been searching the website but could not find a straight answer to my question: my parents are considering coming under a Contributory Parent or Contributory Aged Parent visa (I was granted PR in Dec 2011, after 1.5 years of 457 and 11 months of WHV, I only have one sister living in the UK)

My mum is 59 and my Dad 66. Which of these visas would be their best option?

1. My Mum (59yo) applying for the CPV and adding my Dad to the application,

2. or my Dad (66yo) applying for the Contributory Aged Parent and adding my Mum to the application?

We are not really considering applying for any of the Parent visas onshore while on a tourist visa because they still travel quite a bit as my sister is in the UK and it looks very restrictive while you are on the bridging visa - even though financially it would be a much better option...

Sorry if the question has been asked before!

Thanks

You are not alone!

Val x

Yes Val i think you are right on the waiting time emotionally is to long but practical on the finance sorting on needing more time to get funds together. I think when it draws near there's just so much to think about and do that the stress is colossal, to add to mine is getting the house finished by 1st june for renting and my daughter/son-in-law finishing necessary jobs in their house they have just bought by that time too ( they are living with me) i am then going to live with them until the big move. I am now dreading the medical and being examined again after the last few months at the breast clinic hope they are happy with the letter from consultant and they want no more info to hold things up, all was benign so i think it should be ok. My son has his own business and is so busy i can go for weeks with unanswered messages and like you val i think perhaps he doesn't want me to go, then i catch him on the phone and we have a great chat then i know it's all in my mind. I transfered money over begining of last week when it hit $1.55 to my oz bank to pay 2nd vac and would you believe the day after it started to rise and reached $1.59 so maddening to see that happen....... Ah, well win a few lose a few :cry:I have had quotes on boxes, had my dogs sorted with the rabies jabs now needed and had quotes for them, can't sort rentals out till i get there i hear it's difficult with dogs and more frightening folk are offering more rental money to obtain a property, the rents are already high enough, i think i will have to join the hippies in a beat up camper van at this rate. Friends, family and folk i happent to mention my move to think i am courageous and brave to make a big move at my time of life ( feel like and old fart) sometimes it seems madness but once there and all the what if's can be dealt with we can all settle down to sunshine, beaches new friends and family........and all the stress a forgotten memory. Thanks for the replies girls. Ann

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Glad your health scare did not come to anything Ann. I completely agree with all the worries mentioned and I am only at the beginning of the process. Definitely looking forward to starting a new life but always worried about the financial side. I keep thinking that hopefully this time next year I will be selling house, and making lots of arrangements for the move - also maybe need to sell house sooner to make the final payment. Have discussed all sorts of accommodation options with the family as they hope to be buying at end of the year - maybe a house with a nice wee granny flat - if not I have looked at these granny flat kit homes and some of them are lovely - if the family have a big enough plot to put me on........I was retired but now have a part time job to try and save as much as possible. Hope the exchange rate continues to improve and can then think of transferring to oz bank account.

Cath

Glad your health scare did not come to anything Ann. I completely agree with all the worries mentioned and I am only at the beginning of the process. Definitely looking forward to starting a new life but always worried about the financial side. I keep thinking that hopefully this time next year I will be selling house, and making lots of arrangements for the move - also maybe need to sell house sooner to make the final payment. Have discussed all sorts of accommodation options with the family as they hope to be buying at end of the year - maybe a house with a nice wee granny flat - if not I have looked at these granny flat kit homes and some of them are lovely - if the family have a big enough plot to put me on........I was retired but now have a part time job to try and save as much as possible. Hope the exchange rate continues to improve and can then think of transferring to oz bank account.

Cath

Hi Cath

Don't know where you are heading but we visited a few kit home places and found these really good to talk to and look at 2 bed ones.

Last year they came in around $52,000 self build if you have the land of course :biggrin:

http://www.valleykithomes.com.au/

Phoebe

Hi everyone,

I have been searching the website but could not find a straight answer to my question: my parents are considering coming under a Contributory Parent or Contributory Aged Parent visa (I was granted PR in Dec 2011, after 1.5 years of 457 and 11 months of WHV, I only have one sister living in the UK)

My mum is 59 and my Dad 66. Which of these visas would be their best option?

1. My Mum (59yo) applying for the CPV and adding my Dad to the application,

2. or my Dad (66yo) applying for the Contributory Aged Parent and adding my Mum to the application?

We are not really considering applying for any of the Parent visas onshore while on a tourist visa because they still travel quite a bit as my sister is in the UK and it looks very restrictive while you are on the bridging visa - even though financially it would be a much better option...

Sorry if the question has been asked before!

Thanks

Hi Hey3!

I don't think it makes the slightest difference – both will be assessed for health etc. They have to apply jointily on the same form, though admittedly one name comes first!!

I think your main problem is being assessed yourself (as sponsor) as "settled". Normally you have to be PR for two years, though the Immi people might stretch it if you have kids, house, car, etc.

Good luck, Mike

hi,

From what I understand, to sponsor for a CPV you need to be a PR and you need to have settled in Oz for at least 2 years. You do not need to be a PR on that 2 years, as long as you stay in Oz on a legal visa and you "settle" (job, permanent address etc) it will be fine.

Anyone who has experience on this, please confirm. Thank you.

@JohnAndEirian, viewy, scroogemacduck: do you still visit this website? I notice you have been waiting for the grant for quite long. Thank you.

Thats my understanding too, certainly hope so or i am snookered,:eek:

My daughtet & SIL had PR and proved they were 'settled'. My SIL acted as sponsor there was no problem although he had to have a minimum wage of around $46,000 I believe :cute:

Phoebe

I tried a search, but can't find the reference so can anyone help me? I'm sure its possible to pay the 2nd part of the CPV 143 in London, but do I pay in pounds sterling at any particular rate of exchange? I think I recall it being set twice a year. Thanks.

I tried a search, but can't find the reference so can anyone help me? I'm sure its possible to pay the 2nd part of the CPV 143 in London, but do I pay in pounds sterling at any particular rate of exchange? I think I recall it being set twice a year. Thanks.

Hi, if you go to the progress tracker on this forum, you will find a section there to find out about the exchange rate for the 2nd VAC, I think it changes in January and July. Not too sure about all this, its something I would like to know more about too. I'll be paying my 2nd VAC from ireland. Fran.