Guest guest36187

Hi Mike and Sue

Thank you very much for contributing. My concern was that we understood when we first applied that she would be sent for a medical at around the 17 months mark, but that obviously (assuming she passed it) she would need another medical before the visa was granted in 15-20 years time. So - if she passes the medical now, then to be honest, the likelihood of her still being with us aged 105 or more, was so remote that we wouldn't need to worry. But what we _are_ worried about, is 'what if' she fails the medical now? And as it is now (got the sums wrong the first time!) nearly 21 months ago that we applied, just wondered what is going on, as apart from notifying us that she is now on the Bridging Visa, we have heard nothing at all.

I am a bit anxious about the idea of contacting anyone about it, as I really don't want to rock the boat as you'll imagine! I reposted this after Linday's advice, onto a different thread where Tony suggested that Gollywobbler had indicated that they were considering removing the requirement for a medical at the beginning of the process. How good would that be! I've spent 2 hours searching and I just can't find it on here.

If you have any more thoughts, I'd be very grateful.

Kindest regards

Mildy

Hi Alan

Yes, it's something we're trying not to have sleepless nights over! However - do you know if what I've been told is correct...that they are considering dispensing with the initial medicals? Otherwise, do you know how long we are likely to be waiting before needing medicals? Just that 21 months seems quite a long time to be waiting.

Kindest regards

Mildy

Hi again Mildy.

The key point is that an applicant for an Aged Parent visa must pass health and character requirements before the application is placed in the queue.

Here's an extract from DIAC policy:

11.3 Parent visas

If the applicant is applying outside Australia for a parent visa, they are not required to complete the health and character requirements prior to queuing. They will, however, be required to meet the health and character requirements to be considered for visa grant.

However, if the applicant is applying in Australia for a parent visa, they will be required to meet the health and character requirements in order to be queued.

Thus, you can reasonably expect a medical examination to be required before too much longer.

See also: http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-visa-processing-priorities.htm#a

Maybe enquire of the PVC when your mother's application will be given a queue date, rather than asking the direct question about a medical examination?

Best regards.

Ok.. Ive slapped my own wrists for not reading the 451 pages that might help me, nor the 48 pages of the form 3 booklet (yet).,., but.,., can anyone advise on the following for my parents who wish to emirgrate. Heres our details.

Brother and GF on a 176 PR and lands in Aug 2012

Myself and Wifey on a 176 PR (visa activated March 2012) and land in Jan 2013.

We are there only offspring and they are currently - Mum 59 and Dad 61.

They will wish to move say in 12 -24 months - is this possible? Understood about the 24 months of settlement from the offspring... but can they be in Oz beforehand, ie Bridging Visa...

Please can anyone assist wit the options and the medical $$$$$$$ payoff.

THANKS xx

Ok.. Ive slapped my own wrists for not reading the 451 pages that might help me, nor the 48 pages of the form 3 booklet (yet).,., but.,., can anyone advise on the following for my parents who wish to emirgrate. Heres our details.

They will wish to move say in 12 -24 months - is this possible? Understood about the 24 months of settlement from the offspring... but can they be in Oz beforehand, ie Bridging Visa...

THANKS xx

Looks like they could apply for the CPV in approx Aug 2014.......at which point they would get the bridging visa option.....about 18 months after you get there yourself if all goes according to plan :biggrin:

I'm confused about all the numbers for visas and names that people call them. What is a bridging visa? What's the best/quickest way to get a visa as a parent? I willing to pay.

My son moved out there and then came back so hasn't been back in Aus for two years yet but his wife is Australian and so are my two grand daughters.

Any advice?

One way of doing it is to transfer the money to your son/daughter's account in Australia and they can then get a bank draft to send to DIAC.

This is the method we used and it worked well. My daughter is an accountant here and very good at getting financial things organised

THANKS xx

In order to sponsor your parents for a Contributory Parent Visa you or your brother would need to be 'settled'. This is normally a period of 2 years, although there is some debate on here about this. As your brother will be in Australia first they would seem to be the most obvious sponsor. However, they look at things like a permanent job, house, car etc. As there is only you and your brother they would pass the Balance of Family test. The Contributory Parent Visa is not cheap however - here's a link to the costs:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm

The visa is currently taking around 12-14 months to process after application.

As they are under 65 they will need to apply for the visa offshore. One of them needs to be 65 in order to apply for the visa onshore and thus be granted a Bridging Visa to allow them to stay in Oz until the parent visa is granted. However they can visit Australia for up to 12 months on a visitor visa while they wait for the parent visa to be processed.

Edited by Linday

I think your son or his wife would need to be in Australia in order to sponsor you for a parent visa. It's a bit diffiicult to advise you without knowing any more details. The route most parents take now is the Contributory Parent Visa which is not cheap. Please see my response to Danny and Em above.

Edited by Linday

I'm confused about all the numbers for visas and names that people call them. What is a bridging visa? What's the best/quickest way to get a visa as a parent? I willing to pay.

My son moved out there and then came back so hasn't been back in Aus for two years yet but his wife is Australian and so are my two grand daughters.

Any advice?

G'day

I think the best bit of advice at this stage is to download (from http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm) and carefully read the Immigration Department's Booklet 3 – Parent Migration. It explains the various types of visas and almost everything else you need to know. Then, if you have any specific queries, post them on this thread, and someone may be able to help.

The quickest, but by far the most expensive option is to apply for a Contributory Parent Visa. I think your main problem may be the position of your daughter-in-law, not a "blood relative", as sponsor for your move – I really have no idea, though, so you may need to query this specifically with the Immigration people at the Parent Visa Centre (details in the booklet).

A Bridging Visa only comes into play if you are able to, and do, apply for a parent visa while on a visit to Australia – ie, apply "onshore". It then allows you to remain in Oz while the visa application is considered and processed. But beware – many tourist visas (especially thouse for a long[ish] period) may have a "no further stay" condition attached – if so, you can't apply onshore.

Good luck, Mike

Hi all, I feel as if we're the class of 2012!

Anyway, have received our Police Certificates yesterday, do I upload them and email them or do I post the originals to Perth Parent Visa Centre? I feel as though it may be best to wait for a CO but not sure why - I suppose in case it gets lost somewhere in the corridors of the PVC..... any advice? What did you do if you front loaded.

I wish something would happen on the tracker soon - no CO's for March 2011 acknowledgements yet!!! Aarrgghh!! Have had a few viewings on the house but not even a sniff of an offer or even a second viewing yet - agent says things are very quiet. I know....patience......

Val x

Anyway, have received our Police Certificates yesterday, do I upload them and email them or do I post the originals to Perth Parent Visa Centre? I feel as though it may be best to wait for a CO but not sure why - I suppose in case it gets lost somewhere in the corridors of the PVC..... any advice? What did you do if you front loaded.

I wish something would happen on the tracker soon - no CO's for March 2011 acknowledgements yet!!! Aarrgghh!! Have had a few viewings on the house but not even a sniff of an offer or even a second viewing yet - agent says things are very quiet. I know....patience......

Val x

Hi Val, Personally I wouldn't do anything with your police certificates until you have a case officer. Ours got lost even with a case officer so I had to send for new ones...............hey presto the very next day our CO found them! Luckily I managed to ring the ACRO office and they shredded my cheque but I certainly wouldn't front load anything that will cost money to replace if it either expires or is lost.

Hope this helps,

Val x

Hi Val,

Do not send it to PVC, but send its copy only; so they know that you have it already. Then when you have CO they will ask for the original, you send it to CPV, attention it to the CO.

Mengancun,

I can't see the point in sending copies of documents to the CPV centre before a case officer is appointed to you. Surely by sending stuff they haven't yet asked for is slowing the system down. No wonder the wait times are increasing. When you get a CO he/she will let you know what they want and when they want it, otherwise be patient! I know it's hard but we get there eventually.

Val x

Good morning all,

Just wanted to share that we have just received an email from the PVC advising us to undergo our medicals, arrange AOS and have our police certificates completed. We are DELIGHTED. Our acknowledgement date is May24th 2011. The email says that this will speed up the process for when a Case Officer is appointed and specifically states NOT to send any documents until we are asked to do so by the CO.

What a great day!

Kim

Val x

'Class of 2012' I like that!! Does seem like it though. Good luck with the house - we are in the same position.

G'Day Classmates!

AoS formalities completed by our son-in-law today. Hopefully, we're on the home run!

(We're saying nothing about property sale so as not to tempt Fate!)

Mike and Sue

Hey Mike & Sue,

All seems to be falling into place for you now - won't be long for the unmentionable thing either I'm sure! I'm waiting for my 173>143 acknowledgement - daughter only posted it last week so fingers crossed it will all be done and dusted by November. We have another grandchild due then so the flights are already booked!

Best of luck with everything!

Regards, Valx

Good morning all,

Just wanted to share that we have just received an email from the PVC advising us to undergo our medicals, arrange AOS and have our police certificates completed. We are DELIGHTED. Our acknowledgement date is May24th 2011. The email says that this will speed up the process for when a Case Officer is appointed and specifically states NOT to send any documents until we are asked to do so by the CO.

What a great day!

Kim

Hi Kim, what exciting news! Thankyou so much for sharing.

Val x