Guest guest36187

17 minutes ago, Rosiejaq said:

With elections looming I can understand this right wing article but it is always forgotten who the Australians really are....most are immigrants!  And the country has become as it is from the hard sweat of immigrants.

Yes, but you're forgetting why they came to Australia.    Australia doesn't owe me, or any other migrant, anything at all.    

The truth is that migrants come to Australia because Australia offers THEM benefits.   Yes, Australia benefits from their work, but the bargain is in the migrant's favour.  Let's face it, what migrant would stay in the country if they didn't feel they were getting a fair deal?  

I doubt there were many migrants who came to Australia with a mission to build the country.  They came to Australia, as I did, because they thought it offered THEM a better life.   I certainly feel I've had a fair bargain - I pay my taxes and Australia gives me a good life.    To suggest that migrants deserve something extra for being such hard workers, as if they've made sacrifices for Australia's sake, is just ridiculous. 

Edited by Marisawright

I believe right now that there probably are parents being forced back to the UK - but because the UK government have frozen their pensions!  Also, I think that there was a change recently about OZ pension entitlement involving having to have worked in OZ for 5 years - meaning a 15 year wait before being entitled.  I for one will not be draining their finances on that one!

56 minutes ago, surfersj said:

I think us parents are just reflecting how frustrated we are feeling about the whole process.  When we first applied July 2015 what we thought was a 2 year wait has become 4 years.  Reports like this albeit I understand the sentiment just get you riled a bit.   Saying things like we will be paying no tax are not correct as it depends upon individual circumstances.  I would also say that we will be contributing in a meaningful way to the economy, as well as providing support with grandchildren to help our sons/daughters/in-laws careers to flourish! 

I think they would prefer your grandchildren looked after by tax paying nursery/childminders. That would help their economy, free grandparent care doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, surfersj said:

I believe right now that there probably are parents being forced back to the UK - but because the UK government have frozen their pensions!  Also, I think that there was a change recently about OZ pension entitlement involving having to have worked in OZ for 5 years - meaning a 15 year wait before being entitled.  I for one will not be draining their finances on that one!

Just think - all those people who migrated to Oz from UK years ago who still have British passports could come back and claim NHS  and after a few months gain access  to the benefit system - without having paid into the UK system for years!! Whereas at least UK parents moving to Oz do pay the equivalent of an Aussie paying 40 years worth into a Medicare etc  

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm in my 60's and I'd be the first to protest that I'm a useful member of society, but the fact remains that in the coming years, I'm going to start contributing less and less tax and costing the taxpayer more and more.    Statistics show that while our generation will all live longer than our parents and grandparents, we're not living healthier - the majority of people over the age of 70 are on several medications, and will need regular minor ops and investigative procedures.  Blood pressure pills, hip replacements, cancer, cataracts, heart disease, Parkinsons, dementia - we're all going to die of something.  When you consider one operation can cost the government $30,000, you can see how expensive old age can get. And that's before we get to the cost of aged care.

What makes all that cost OK is that I spent my working years paying into the system to cover it.   People arriving on the parents' visa haven't, and that's what the fee is meant to cover.  The report is just saying that in their view, the fee still isn't high enough to do that., and they may be right.  

I've often thought it would be much better if they changed the system so parents were allowed to come without being charged a fee, but barred from accessing Medicare, the pension or any other benefits. It would avoid all these recriminations.  I suspect the government is worried about the bad publicity when, inevitably, some parents would run out of money and then there would be sob stories in the press about them being forced back to the UK.  

I have just read a post that you wrote which I have just viewed on my iPad (although can't see it on my laptop), where you quote "I'm a migrant and I would never have regarded it as my right to bring my parents to Australia with me" 

I am a bit confused - I am on this forum looking for helpful  information  on the "NEW PIO PARENTS VISA thread"  - and from what you are writing on here, it comes across as you don't agree with parents joining their children in Australia,  surprising as this thread is about parent migrating!!

I am a parent and all three of my children are settled and citizens of Australia now.  My husband and I applied for a CPV 143 after careful consideration and only after our children keep giving us the forms to compete with our birthday/christmas presents - it is our children's wishes that we join them, we are still both of working age and have approximately 15 years working life yet until we reach our pensionable age, which is not necessarily retirement age.  If we are lucky enough to get a Visa, we both will be joining the ranks of the workers and paying into the Australian tax system.  Yes, we may not pay as much as our children will pay in over their life time, but we certainly will not be "free loading" .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LBee said:

I have just read a post that you wrote which I have just viewed on my iPad (although can't see it on my laptop), where you quote "I'm a migrant and I would never have regarded it as my right to bring my parents to Australia with me" 

I am a bit confused - I am on this forum looking for helpful  information  on the "NEW PIO PARENTS VISA thread"  - and from what you are writing on here, it comes across as you don't agree with parents joining their children in Australia,  surprising as this thread is about parent migrating!!

I am a parent and all three of my children are settled and citizens of Australia now.  My husband and I applied for a CPV 143 after careful consideration and only after our children keep giving us the forms to compete with our birthday/christmas presents - it is our children's wishes that we join them, we are still both of working age and have approximately 15 years working life yet until we reach our pensionable age, which is not necessarily retirement age.  If we are lucky enough to get a Visa, we both will be joining the ranks of the workers and paying into the Australian tax system.  Yes, we may not pay as much as our children will pay in over their life time, but we certainly will not be "free loading" .

You must be early 50’s then. Most parent visa applicants are far older than this, not all but the majority certainly are. I’m not sure when you applied but the way it’s going it could be some years before you get there so you will certainly pay into the system but little comparison to someone who will pay into it from ages 18 or even your children. Or you could get there mid 50’s and start working and have to give up due to ill health and spend the rest of your life on expensive medical treatments and even care home services costing hundreds of thousands. Hopefully not of course but surely you and everyone can see we are not a good catch, we are all potential expensive timebombs. Let’s all be very grateful we can get these visas rather than trying to keep coming up with ways to say we will be paying into the system as chances are it still won’t cut it. We even get the “we will be looking after the grandkids” like that will pay for untold amounts of operations and care. Maybe some will get there and work until they’re 70 paying tax and go on to the end without incurring any medical expenses but they will be very rare. The statistics are we will cost far more than we put in, let’s just accept that and be grateful 

Edited by Tulip1

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Just think - all those people who migrated to Oz from UK years ago who still have British passports could come back and claim NHS  and after a few months gain access  to the benefit system - without having paid into the UK system for years!! Whereas at least UK parents moving to Oz do pay the equivalent of an Aussie paying 40 years worth into a Medicare etc  

Does 40 years of paying into Medicare cost about £30k then? Can you share where you got that figure please. 

Edited by Tulip1

I’m afraid I can’t lay my hand on it just yet (will keep looking) but it was  in a government report on immigration a while ago. Don’t forget taxes 40 years ago were a lot less. It’s not 40 years  times today’s rates. 

Two earlier posts I did find 

Visa types

Subclass 143 – This is a permanent visa referred to as a “Contributory” visa. This is because the initial application fee is $3,770 for the first applicant and $1,270 for any additional applicant. However the second instalment for each applicant is $43,600. This visa takes approximately 3.5 to 4.5 years to process and is a permanent visa from approval.

The large “Contribution” of money that is called for upon the second instalment is in order to offset the rights that are awarded to the visa holder under permanent residency such as health care that they have not contributed towards throughout their lives as ordinary Australians have throughout their life by way of tax.

and another good explanation 

2B50D5CB-ECB1-4384-85F1-9BDF93DFA81E.png

3 hours ago, Marilyn said:

@Rosiejaq Best of luck for your medicals tomorrow. I am currently waiting for a previous chest x-ray I did in 2016 from Health services which hopefully I should receive today if so I will be hand delivering it to Knightsbridge tomorrow so who knows we may just cross paths!

Thanks Marilyn....we’ll be there in the afternoon around 2pm all being well!  Maybe we’ll see you 😃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LBee said:

Hear Hear 

8 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Not a fair comparison, those migrants are British.  Australians who have lived for years in Britain can come back to Oz and claim benefits, too. 

A fair comparison would be with Australian parents who would like to come and join their Australian migrant children in the UK.  Which is a comparison we can't make, because there is no visa to allow them to do so.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Not all may be British migrants - some could be Australian/other nationality spouses or children of a British citizen (provided they had the right visa or claim by descent)  but they would still be eligible to claim. At the end of the day there is no real fair comparison. I am given to understand that even someone who has paid all their working life in Australia or UK still will not have paid enough to cater for all eventualities in later life. Its a bit like insurance - some never make claims (or only small ones)  despite paying all their premiums whereas others will claim out far more than they’ve paid in. Most of us pay something towards a welfare system that some of us will never use

None of us knows the future and what help/care we may need. It’s all a bit academic!  

Like many here, I will be self supporting, will have to pay tax and will also be taking out private health insurance when I eventually/hopefully get my visa so it may happen that my contributions will pay for someone else  - maybe even an Australian! 

There are many swings and roundabouts over this - the matter periodically raises its head in this forum and no doubt will continue to do so - there is no definitive answer. The forum is best used to find information and give each other support. 

@Alan Collett

Having  seen your blog as below, does this really mean that parents will no longer be able to apply for and obtain a 3 year 600 visa which allows a 12 months in 18 stay?

• Standard Visitor visa arrangements remain unchanged.  However the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa replaces the Visitor visa concession that allows parents of Australian citizens/permanent residents to stay in Australia for longer periods – typically for 12 months in every 18 months.

I think many visa applicants wrongly consider a potential visa is their  right which they deserve which of course it isn’t.

Australia is pretty generous in still offering parent visas, but as I have written before, I will not be surprised if the government makes changes in the future, as I can’t see it sustainable in its present form. 

I appreciate we were  originally applying for the parent visa differently to most as our children followed us to Australia, and we have reapplied through the new pathway. However I’m not convinced when most immigrants come here its with a desire to then bring their parents. They come with a will to make a different life in a new country. I doubt thoughts of missing family impact too much on their decision to emigrate, so should we as parents have a right to follow them as we age. Whose responsibility are we as we age? 

Yes of course we want and would like to be near our children, but our grandchildren are in UK, and we made the choice to live our lives where we wanted to live, not base our lives around our children, it was the choice of 2 of ours to follow us to Australia, mind you I’m not complaining, but we would still choose to live here.

We came on the old self funded retirement visa, and I do think that perhaps future parent visas should have more of a self funded inclusion? The new short term 5/10 year visa might be the governments answer? Will be interesting to see any potential changes.

Having written the above, I really hope all of us already in the queue don’t get impacted by any possible changes, and get our visas sooner than later. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

@Alan Collett

Having  seen your blog as below, does this really mean that parents will no longer be able to apply for and obtain a 3 year 600 visa which allows a 12 months in 18 stay?

• Standard Visitor visa arrangements remain unchanged.  However the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa replaces the Visitor visa concession that allows parents of Australian citizens/permanent residents to stay in Australia for longer periods – typically for 12 months in every 18 months.

That is my present expectation, based on the details here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/bringing-someone/bringing-partner-or-family/five-year-temporary-sponsored-parents-visa

Best regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Reading through this wonderful thread I wish congrats to everyone who have got their 143 and who all are waiting just like me good luck. I applied for my Mum's 143 on 5th July 2017, got first acknowledgement on 16th September 2017 and paid first vac on the same day as the acknowledgement. I am an Australian Citizen with Indian Descent and so is my Mum. I  would like to know if anyone is in the same time period range as I am and if there are any other Indian applicants in this thread. (I was looking for some Indian based forums or threads but couldn't find any so if anyone knows or have come across any please share) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

@Alan Collett

Do you think the Government can increase visa fees for an applicant already in the queue for 143 or the new fees can only apply to new applicants?

Also my parents have 600 visa granted in Feb 2017. Do you think it will be a good idea to reapply for another 3 years considering there is a possibility this visa may not be available for parents anymore? Are we able to apply for this visa after 2 yrs of visa grant rather than wait for expiry? Thanks

Does anyone know which health insurer provides medical cover for parents on this new subclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa? Thanks

I have insurance for my parents with Bupa but it is very expensive (recent increase takes it to $2000 per month). Interested in knowing which insurance others are are choosing.

Hi all, need to pick your brains.  Our daughter is currently trying to complete her Aos online but is unable to download documents due to an error on the website.  She has talked to the helpline who have suggested using another computer, deleting the cache etc which she has done which hasn’t helped.  She has been to the local Centrelink office who say it’s done but when she logs in it is still unfinished in her folder.  She needs a reference number so her partner can complete his part.  Our deadline is Monday!  Our agents have been a great help, but I wonder if anyone has any great ideas how to get through this problem?   Thanks all.

On 27/02/2019 at 12:48, Marilyn said:

Just a heads up I went both times around 45 min before my appointment and they saw me straight away so even if you a little early try your luck. I was going to go and walk around the shops as I don't often go into London but a little out my pay grade i.e Gucci, Tommy Ford, Harvey Nicol, $$$$$

Hi Marilyn, we got to London hours before our appointment and popped in to see if they could see us early, and they were able to!  It meant we were able to relax and enjoy the afternoon....thanks for the heads up 😊

• Like 1

Latest update from the department, 864 has moved forward another month - soon be in 2017 😁

Temporary to Permanent

Acknowledge New Applications

February 2019

Queue Assessment

Lodged

Jun 2017

Lodged

Sept 2016

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

Visa Assessment

Date Queued

Aug 2010

Date Queued

May 2012

Lodged

Jul 2015

Lodged

Jul 2015

Lodged

Dec 2016   

Lodged Dec 2016

May 2018

*Updated 06/03/2019

37 minutes ago, Britgirl29 said:

Latest update from the department, 864 has moved forward another month - soon be in 2017 😁

Temporary to Permanent

Acknowledge New Applications

February 2019

Queue Assessment

Lodged

Jun 2017

Lodged

Sept 2016

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

Visa Assessment

Date Queued

Aug 2010

Date Queued

May 2012

Lodged

Jul 2015

Lodged

Jul 2015

Lodged

Dec 2016   

Lodged Dec 2016

May 2018

*Updated 06/03/2019

864 moving at last. We originally lodged our 864 march 2017, then reapplied for the pathway 143  November 2018, have been asked to get all the checks done, all done except medical  and hope to have that next week. We took a chance the pathway  might be quicker. Will post if and when we hear anything. 

13 hours ago, amsaini15 said:

@Alan Collett

Do you think the Government can increase visa fees for an applicant already in the queue for 143 or the new fees can only apply to new applicants?

Also my parents have 600 visa granted in Feb 2017. Do you think it will be a good idea to reapply for another 3 years considering there is a possibility this visa may not be available for parents anymore? Are we able to apply for this visa after 2 yrs of visa grant rather than wait for expiry? Thanks

Does anyone know which health insurer provides medical cover for parents on this new subclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa? Thanks

I have insurance for my parents with Bupa but it is very expensive (recent increase takes it to $2000 per month). Interested in knowing which insurance others are are choosing.

@amsaini15 

The tourist visa 600 is taking around 20-30 days to be granted so I reckon you should wait until dec 2019 to think what you need to do. Also, If you plan their stay in Australia very cautiously then you might just try and bring them in Aus just before Feb 2020 and they can stay the maximum time their visa allows. e.g.

if their max stay is 12 months in 18 months period then plan it in a way that they are away for the 6 months just before feb 2020 and then when they enter australia before feb 2020 they can stay for another 12 months, provided their is a condition -  "Must Not Arrive After" date is XX Feb 2020. Hope that makes sense..

$2000 per month Is this a correct figure? I pay around $325 (which recently got increased from $288) for my in-laws per month with Bupa Standard Visitors Cover 

Capture.JPG