Quarantine food

Cots

44 minutes ago, Cots said:

Okay, I want to respond, firstly, I may seem angry but I’m not angry,  just frustrated.

I can totally understand.  I've been through hotel quarantine myself recently and it's definitely not something that is enjoyable.  I only had to do it by myself so I can only imagine what it'd be like if I had my whole family with me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cots said:

Okay, I want to respond, firstly, I may seem angry but I’m not angry,  just frustrated.

I said the hotel were kind to the twins and they were, there is more food that we can eat and on day 2 that was okay but after 10 days of carrots and broccoli with random meat, it’s no longer fun. I don’t blame the hotel, they’re doing what they can. If we received one ready meal a day plus alternative lunch, that would be better. My children don’t love veg, who’s kids do? So everyday it’s a struggle to get them to eat properly. 2 of my kids are carrying a little excess weight and I’m trying not to encourage them eat too many treats which is just being a good parent.  

we have a kettle and a toaster because we’re in a self catering unit, not a hotel with a kitchen, as  mentioned earlier this is an alternative to a hotel and something they do for my families i understand. if we are only charged for 1 room then that will be a real bonus as far as cost goes, keeping it around 5k and not 7k. As it stands today we have 30 ready meals in the fridge we haven’t eaten.  We are dropping them to a church mission in the morning so they won’t go to waste. We could take them with us but we know we’ll never eat them again. 

From tomorrow we will laugh about this as a family when we see the ufoodz adverts but as food is the highlight of  our day it’s been a chore and something I thought id share with the forum when we first got here.

On a positive note, although it has been a bit pants, the hotel has done the best it can. We’ve used the time wisely, I’ve got a job interview Monday and husband has 3 interviews next week. We’ve re enrolled in everything we need to, bought a car which is being delivered to the hotel in the morning when we leave, we’ve applied for a  rental and have booked viewings for others to see next week, it’s been productive.

Apologies if I was sensitive 😃 

Good luck with your job interviews, let us know how you both get on and ''enjoy'' your last night in captivity,lol, tomorrow you have Freedom!!!!

Cal x

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

bought a car which is being delivered to the hotel in the morning when we leave

I did the same for my friend, however the dealer was unable to register the car in their name without an Aus licence. This is in Queensland. Might be worth checking this with your dealer. Mind you this was a new car. It might be different for used cars or different states.

All the best with your journey.

4 hours ago, Cots said:

I said the hotel were kind to the twins and they were, there is more food that we can eat and on day 2 that was okay but after 10 days of carrots and broccoli with random meat, it’s no longer fun. I don’t blame the hotel, they’re doing what they can. If we received one ready meal a day plus alternative lunch, that would be better. My children don’t love veg, who’s kids do? So everyday it’s a struggle to get them to eat properly. 2 of my kids are carrying a little excess weight and I’m trying not to encourage them eat too many treats which is just being a good parent.  

we have a kettle and a toaster because we’re in a self catering unit, not a hotel with a kitchen, as  mentioned earlier this is an alternative to a hotel and something they do for my families i understand. if we are only charged for 1 room then that will be a real bonus as far as cost goes, keeping it around 5k and not 7k. As it stands today we have 30 ready meals in the fridge we haven’t eaten.  We are dropping them to a church mission in the morning so they won’t go to waste. We could take them with us but we know we’ll never eat them again. 

From tomorrow we will laugh about this as a family when we see the ufoodz adverts but as food is the highlight of  our day it’s been a chore and something I thought id share with the forum when we first got here.

On a positive note, although it has been a bit pants, the hotel has done the best it can. We’ve used the time wisely, I’ve got a job interview Monday and husband has 3 interviews next week. We’ve re enrolled in everything we need to, bought a car which is being delivered to the hotel in the morning when we leave, we’ve applied for a  rental and have booked viewings for others to see next week, it’s been productive.

Apologies if I was sensitive 😃 

Welcome back  to Qld, put quarantine behind you, and wish you success and happiness in your new life. 

Edited by ramot

1 hour ago, DukeNinja said:

I did the same for my friend, however the dealer was unable to register the car in their name without an Aus licence. This is in Queensland. Might be worth checking this with your dealer. Mind you this was a new car. It might be different for used cars or different states.

All the best with your journey.

That dealer is lazy, it is harder and requires more paperwork from the dealers side to purchase a vehicle without an Aussie licence but is it do able. I assisted 20+ families to buy vehicles without an Aussie licence ,back when doing relocations. It was quite funny to watch a dealer scramble and change his mind when we said ''we will leave it then and buy elsewhere''. These were second hand vehicles and not financed, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Cal x

On 17/05/2021 at 16:52, ramot said:

Have you questioned the quality of your food with either your hotel? or the Queensland government , rather than posting here? Other posters have quarantined in Brisbane, will be interesting to hear their experience. Has anyone else complained about the quality and cost of the food, or mentioned if they were charged for 2 rooms, or there is a standard change for families?

This is Qld info, other States and Territories may differ......

Charge for the rooms, as I posted earlier, depends on whether you are in two separate rooms, or rooms within a suite - which is the case with Cots. They have multiple rooms behind one main door. They are in Suite 240X (clearly not the real number!!) and it is billed as one room. On the master manifest each person is listed against a room number, and that is how the charging is done.

If they had 2 rooms say Room 1002 and Room 1003, even if those rooms have a connecting door, they are two individual rooms and are billed as two rooms. 

Re the food - especially in the light of some forthcoming behind-the-scenes admin changes in Qlds quarantine system - I suggest that any poster with comments good or bad, gives feedback to QHealth. Thats the only way that any notice will be taken of issues with ready meals, delivery restrictions etc etc.

The thing to remember is that this programme is being administered largely by Qlders who have no experience of the 24hour+ flight, migration to a ne country etc and thus have no idea of the added strain this puts on people in quarantine. Although the few on the inside who do have that kind of migrant background can put forward their views and ideas(esp if they are active on forums like this), things can really only be changed if the people going through quarantine give useful, honest, feedback.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, emanyalpsid said:

On a side note does everyone always find the jet lag worse going to Aus as opposed back to UK

In the past it always seemed worse when travelling east, to australia. I think I'm used to it now and dont get jet lag so much any more. Whenever I travel I try to leave at a "normal" time and arrive at the destination in the evening, exhausted and ready to sleep at the destinations "correct" sleep time. Flights leaving at 6am, where you arrive for the flight already exhausted (having been awake since 2am), then arrive at destination early morning and struggle to stay awake all day, are a recipe for disaster. 

11 hours ago, emanyalpsid said:

On a side note does everyone always find the jet lag worse going to Aus as opposed back to UK

For me, the jet lag is definitely worse flying back to Australia.  Hardly had jet lag at all flying the other way.

I flew between Brunei and Uk at least 4+ times a year for 10 years, it’s a known fact that jet lag is worse flying back here, but don’t know if there is a scientific reason for it? The thing I couldn’t understand was that just occasionally I would have almost no jet lag at all, other times I would feel really rough for up to 10 days. If I only knew why sometimes I was fine, I could have made a fortune selling the solution! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, calNgary said:

That dealer is lazy, it is harder and requires more paperwork from the dealers side to purchase a vehicle without an Aussie licence but is it do able. I assisted 20+ families to buy vehicles without an Aussie licence ,back when doing relocations. It was quite funny to watch a dealer scramble and change his mind when we said ''we will leave it then and buy elsewhere''. These were second hand vehicles and not financed, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Cal x

Lol, second hand dealers flipping out when you threaten to end the deal at the last minute... I feel bad for them, but that's the game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MacGyver said:

In the past it always seemed worse when travelling east, to australia. I think I'm used to it now and dont get jet lag so much any more. Whenever I travel I try to leave at a "normal" time and arrive at the destination in the evening, exhausted and ready to sleep at the destinations "correct" sleep time. Flights leaving at 6am, where you arrive for the flight already exhausted (having been awake since 2am), then arrive at destination early morning and struggle to stay awake all day, are a recipe for disaster. 

I always found bne arrivals to be mostly morning. Can't remember ever having arrived there in evening!

2 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Yes. 100% I have arrived at all times of the day and it is always worse coming into Australia.

It is because it is so exciting landing in Australia, it is just impossible to sleep, as your mind is going crazy with excitement.

Landing in England has the opposite effect and sends you to sleep easily.

There is science behind it but that is the layman's explanation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, 

I thought I’d end this thread with an update: the quarantine bill arrived 4 months to the day of leaving the hotel. Total, $5075 for a family of 5. We’ve paid it all with no debates about the food. It’s old news now LOL

• Like 2