British supermarkets vs Australian supermarkets

Red Rose

9 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Exactly. Supermarkets tend to cater for what their customers prefer, and that is why they are different.

I'm not sure that's true.  I feel that the problem, in Australia, is that Coles and Woolworths have been virtually a duopoly for a very long time.  They've only had to compete with each other and neither of them has been innovative.   If one of them had done something new and exciting, the other would've had to follow suit, and it's never really happened.

I don't see it as "bashing".  I prefer living in Australia hands-down, but I can still recognise that in general, the shopping is better in the UK.  I'm not getting hot under the collar about it, though.  It's just a fact of life - a nice benefit if you're living in the UK, and a minor irritation if you live in Australia.  There are pros and cons to every country and this is just one example.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 9

Fortunately I dont have to frequent Coles or Woolworths unless there is a special on that I want, we are fortunate to be surrounded by excellent quality Italian grocery stores with great produce. The staple tins etc come from our local Aldi or the Reject shop that have a good selection of British dried goods. Waitrose or Marks & Spencers are unbeatable in quality  or presentation, I particularly love the Waitrose in Canary Wharf London where they have  different eateries within their store. 

1 hour ago, Gary H said:

No Comparison on variety, services offered, choice and cost in supermarkets UK is years ahead. Farmers markets are the go up here in FNQ, although you have to be careful on choosing seasonal goods or risk remortgage.

What don’t you have enough variety in over here in Oz ? 

Far more choices in fresh fish here in Oz.  I personally think the quality of meat is better here In Oz 

plenty of fresh veggies and fruit 

what do you want that is not here in Oz ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not sure that's true.  I feel that the problem, in Australia, is that Coles and Woolworths have been virtually a duopoly for a very long time.  They've only had to compete with each other and neither of them has been innovative.   If one of them had done something new and exciting, the other would've had to follow suit, and it's never really happened.

I don't see it as "bashing".  I prefer living in Australia hands-down, but I can still recognise that in general, the shopping is better in the UK.  I'm not getting hot under the collar about it, though.  It's just a fact of life - a nice benefit if you're living in the UK, and a minor irritation if you live in Australia.  There are pros and cons to every country and this is just one example.

I wouldn’t base my decision of which country I would prefer to live in by which has the best supermarkets. Far more important factors are involved. I accept that Australia isn’t for everyone but I get so fed up with the never ending Australia bashing/moaning  by posters who either were or are unhappy living in Australia,  it’s actually not the countries fault, if Australia isn’t for you. I haven’t lived in England for 28 years, although I have visited regularly, I don’t want to live there for all sorts of reasons, but I wouldn’t waste my time finding fault with the country on a forum, some people prefer life in one country, some the other. 

Having said the above, I genuinely sympathise, with the posters who are torn by family loyalties, that must be incredibly hard,  but again it isn’t Australia’s fault. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 5
  • Congratulations 1

15 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Far more choices in fresh fish here in Oz.  I personally think the quality of meat is better here In Oz 

Aisles and aisles of ready made or frozen prepackaged meals,. I couldn’t believe how many were on offer. People too busy to cook fresh anymore. Even though you might argue that M&S meals are better, and yes on holiday I have used them, I found it very sad how many couples with a young child in the trolley shopping late afternoon after work?  choosing their evening meal, rather than cooking fresh. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

OK, I've stated Coles and Woolies could do much better but honestly I can get almost anything I need there.  We have very good delis and green grocers locally.  Nobody is going to starve.  Seems as Bill Bryson said, some people are obsessed with supermarkets.  I only buy what we need as I HATE chucking out unused food.  Far too much of that in first world countries.

• Like 2

We have a local market (Rocklea) in Brisbane which has fabulous fruit & veg. Meat from organic butcher, fish - I do struggle to find good quality fish here and miss quality of mussels, prawns (weirdly enough), and undyed smoked fish (but suspect that’s available down south). 14 years ago when we came there were no vegetarian options for my daughter locally - now there’s a real improvement. I am like a kid in a sweet shop when back in UK supermarkets though - especially Waitrose & M&S  -  I feel there’s no equivalent here. And the price difference is pretty shocking - I did hate the amount of plastic wrapped veg in the UK but if I moved back would get an organic local delivery box. It all comes down to demographics, demand and knowing where to look - I’m actually really impressed with how much progress has been made here tbh. 

Edited by Chortlepuss
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

No argument from me there. Shopping, generally is better in the UK. Getting away for the moment from supermarkets, the shopping at High Street Kensington, for instance, is marvellous.  Though, if you take away the high-street element there, I would consider Pacific Fair in Broadbeach to be on par especially with high end luxury goods, and you can park.    Back on the subject, supermarkets do cater for the local community as they base their product ranges on the data available including sources such the Australian Census on a location by location basis.

Australian supermarkets generally do not stock swathes of foreign food such as Jellied Eel or Haddock, in as much as British supermarkets do not offer numerous kinds of Vegemite, and Kangaroo Steaks.         

16 minutes ago, ramot said:

Aisles and aisles of ready made or frozen prepackaged meals,. I couldn’t believe how many were on offer. People too busy to cook fresh anymore. Even though you might argue that M&S meals are better, and yes on holiday I have used them, I found it very sad how many couples with a young child in the trolley shopping late afternoon after work?  choosing their evening meal, rather than cooking fresh. 

You can tell I’m bored as I’m on PIO on Easter Sunday, think I’ll put a roast on and bake a cake🌧🙁🎂 or binge on Netflix !.

Edited by ramot
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

You can tell I’m bored as I’m on PIO on Easter Sunday, think I’ll put a roast on and bake a cake🌧🙁🎂 or binge on Netflix !.

We’re on our way to the horse then off to the footie at Manuka Oval, Giants vs Demons.  Not a bad way to spend a Sunday...

13 hours ago, s713 said:

I went to a couple of Spudshed's in WA and found them a bit scruffy.

They are quite scruffy, although a bit nicer now than they used to be. It’s a bit like a farmers market where you have to spend time picking out the decent fruit and veg as it’s bundled in with a lot of poor quality items - that’s why it’s so cheap - that and it’s mostly WA and/or Australian produce on sale

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

[Edit]....I don't see it as "bashing".  I prefer living in Australia hands-down, but I can still recognise that in general, the shopping is better in the UK.  I'm not getting hot under the collar about it, though.  It's just a fact of life - a nice benefit if you're living in the UK, and a minor irritation if you live in Australia.  There are pros and cons to every country and this is just one example.

With apologies to the OP as I'm not looking to take the thread off track, but I don't see it is as bashing either. Threads in Aussie or UK Chat are likely to have an Aussie or UK focus, with varying and different opinions expressed depending on personal preference. Trolling for the sake of it is a completely different issue, but mostly I see people posting their thoughts and occasionally getting jumped on because some-one else disagrees or misunderstands a thought or intention. Tx

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

Has anyone been to the Foodland is Pasadena, Adelaide? It's excellent.

Have a look at some of these photos - https://www.constructwell.com.au/pasadena/qgwqr8du6ldyc5ynaqixjgzggzhygh

We are from NSW and we love Foodland in SA, when we are over there, as we rarely encounter Foodland in NSW. Our favourite Foodland supermarkets in SA are at Peterborough, Ceduna (mountains of fresh oysters), but our favourite  is Coober Pedy, with aisle 1 being a dine-in barista cafe, with tables and chairs and fresh bakery items as well as fish and chips salads burgers, you name it. Sit in and have have a coffee or meal in Aisle1 at the supermarket!  Amazing.   

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

I think this is  unusual these days, but Mountain Creek’s fairly  small shopping square has a Woolworths, but also a butcher, Baker, (no candlestick maker), wet fish shop, and a green grocer. A cafe, pharmacy, optician, hairdresser and yes a bottle shop, plus Dr, dentist, physiotherapist, hearing clinic, QML and Estate agents on the outside of the square.

We are well catered for most needs in a very small area, plus a few more shops a couple of minutes away, a  small independent grocer another hairdresser and another bottle shop, fish & chip shop and a takeaway pizza shop. 

Makes a nice change for an area not to be dominated by an enormous one stop supermarket. and to feel a local in your neighbourhood shops.

5 hours ago, Bulya said:

We’re on our way to the horse then off to the footie at Manuka Oval, Giants vs Demons.  Not a bad way to spend a Sunday...

I’m jealous. Been raining nonstop here since yesterday, so not conducive to venturing outside, with more to come, That’s why I’m bored.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ramot said:

I’m jealous. Been raining nonstop here since yesterday, so not conducive to venturing outside, with more to come, That’s why I’m bored.

Need to do this more often.  I’d forgotten how good AFL is live.  

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Exactly, it's not about point-scoring is it? Inevitably, there are some things that are better/personably preferable in one country than the other, you could provide a list either way. When it comes to anything and everything retail, IMO the UK is much better. Demographics, geography and market forces dictate that.

Edited by s713
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, ramot said:

I suppose I should not draw comparisons but the weather here in the UK is glorious at the moment (I see you have torrential rain in Qld for the next 2 days) so no chance of getting bored with beautiful countryside to explore! 

12 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

I suppose I should not draw comparisons but the weather here in the UK is glorious at the moment (I see you have torrential rain in Qld for the next 2 days) so no chance of getting bored with beautiful countryside to explore! 

Enjoy it while it lasts🙂