Hi all!

Recently moved from London to Melbourne, and seriously struggling with shops! UK highstreet spoiled us and we took it for granted!

For a bit of background, I'm 27.  Back home it would almost always be Next, Marks and Spencers, House of Fraser, River Island, New Look, warehouse, Oasis, and some bargains from Matalan and Primark. My style is simple and (i hope) young... LOL

Does anyone have any tips for shopping out here? Any go to stores for particular items? I feel like there are very low quality stores (such as cotton on) that I thought might be on Matalan/primark level but aren't, and then higher end things, but not very much in the way of something in the middle!

Anything I need im running to Zara and H&M at the moment, just out of habit, although i think they're AUD prices are outrageous!

There are so many important issues that you carefully consider before a move like this, you don't prepare for comical problems such as this... I feel as though everything else is under control and this is stressig me out! That can only be a good thing i suppose, if this is the biggest worry!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi all!

Recently moved from London to Melbourne, and seriously struggling with shops! UK highstreet spoiled us and we took it for granted!
For a bit of background, I'm 27.  Back home it would almost always be Next, Marks and Spencers, House of Fraser, River Island, New Look, warehouse, Oasis, and some bargains from Matalan and Primark. My style is simple and (i hope) young... LOL

Does anyone have any tips for shopping out here? Any go to stores for particular items? I feel like there are very low quality stores (such as cotton on) that I thought might be on Matalan/primark level but aren't, and then higher end things, but not very much in the way of something in the middle!
Anything I need im running to Zara and H&M at the moment, just out of habit, although i think they're AUD prices are outrageous!
There are so many important issues that you carefully consider before a move like this, you don't prepare for comical problems such as this... I feel as though everything else is under control and this is stressig me out! That can only be a good thing i suppose, if this is the biggest worry!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yes I COMPLETELY agree, been here 6 years now and it’s a struggle especially with shoes which are also outrageously expensive. For clothes I go to Myer and David Jones and buy Cue in the City for work clothes they are really nice and cheaper than the main Cue range, I also go to Saba (very expensive) target and Forever New, try Portmans too they have some good ranges of clothes at times. I am stocking up when I go back to the U.K. in November especially shoes!!
  • Like 1

Witchery, seed, FCUK,  have good sales often. Also check out independent boutiques they can be great value and offer something different. 

I find cotton on and Just Jeans good for basics too. 

Have to say I stock up on bras from M & S when I can though. Decent lingerie is expensive here or fit me badly. 

• Like 2

I'm feeling your pain! Admittedly Australia is my home but after living in London for 10 years I got HOOKED on New Look, Select, Primark, TK Maxx and others. 

My absolute fav was New Look and I was missing it dearly until I found out that you can buy New Look stuff from ASOS Au!!! I nearly cried happy tears when I found this out! I've already bought a few things that I don't need but just having a new look order arrive made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 

In terms of Aussie shops, I've always loved:

JayJays - not just geeky stuff. They have nice dresses and a great denim range.

Valley girl - Sometimes I go in there and want to buy the whole shop, other times I'm like 'what on earth?!' but their prices aren't too bad.

Supre - I stick my nose in every now and then. Very young stuff.

Dangerfield - I'm a bit of a goth at heart so DF has my interest. Some of their stuff is good for every day though if you want something a little different.

Ally Fashion - worth checking out too. Lots of 'now' fashion, quality is good sometimes so watch what you buy.

Witchery - there's a few of them around a lot but I find it a bit posho.

There are TK Maxx's over here but they're not as good as London. 

Then there's always H&M and Uniqlo - kinda feels like going 'home' when you enter!

Hope that's helpful :)

• Like 3

Guest The Pom Queen

I found H & M for the first time a few months ago and love it. Ally, Portmans, Forever New are all good, Myers when they have a sale. We have TK Max but it’s expensive compared with overseas.

Obviously you have KMart, Target, Big W who do cheap clothes but they don’t last. 

Asos and Boohoo. Miss Selfridge also deliver to Aus but it takes ages!

Myer has some reasonable stuff in the sales. Dottie and Ally Fashions.

On my last trip back to the UK I practically took an empty suitcase to fill with decent clothes, it was heaven to be back in the high street shops there! (But not good for the bank balance ?).

• Like 1

My wife buys online, she doesn't bother with Aussie High Street. Seems to me that Aussies don't wear the same types of clothes hence no need for the same type of shops. Top Shop opened in Perth and closed not long after, no interest.

Struck me when I was back in the UK how dolled up people were. I think comfort (for most, read scruffy) is preferable here. But that's Perth.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, s713 said:

My wife buys online, she doesn't bother with Aussie High Street. Seems to me that Aussies don't wear the same types of clothes hence no need for the same type of shops. Top Shop opened in Perth and closed not long after, no interest.

Struck me when I was back in the UK how dolled up people were. I think comfort (for most, read scruffy) is preferable here. But that's Perth.

Yes, I'm an online shopper but mainly because I really hate traipsing around clothes shops.  I totally missed out on the 'shop 'til you drop' gene.  Can't think of much else that is a bigger waste of time.  I like pure cotton/linen clothes - really dislike synthetic fibres especially in the hotter weather.  I only get 'dolled up' to go out to dinner or the theatre other than that I am a bit of a scruff.  Happiest in my old jeans, sweaters and wellies this time of year.  ?  We are going to the US in a few months so I will be taking an empty suitcase.  I have lovely sweaters I bought there 20 years ago and they are as good as new.  Great quality stuff.

Top Shop was struggling to survive in Sydney too  .............  may have closed by now for all I know.   

• Like 1

I tend to get most of my clothes from Witchery, Country Road, David Jones, Myer, Cue, Veronica Maine, Just Jeans, Jeans West and places like that. I thought Melbourne was good for shopping when I was there as a backpacker. You really just need to stop looking for UK stores and start going into the stores you see and work out which ones you like.

• Like 5

Problem is with online shopping I like to try stuff on first, even in the U.K. I go into my fav shops - FatFace and White Stuff and see things I love then try them on and I look like a bag lady [emoji1] nothing better than being able to try before you buy!

24 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Melbourne is good for clothes shopping and so is Sydney.  Some of the other capitals not so good but generally it is a bit more casual because people don't dress up very much. Who cares, though?  There's more to life isn't there?

The last time I was in London I was dragged around clothes shops by my sister and sister-in-law.  My SIL is an absolute nightmare as she LOVES shopping and could spend all day browsing and my sister also though not quite so bad.  I went to a cafe and told them I'd meet them later.  Have to say they both look very nice and have some lovely clothes.  I think they have given up on me by now.  

Mind you I could spend hours in a bookshop.  ?  

• Like 5

I found the same problem! I’d probably go to Cotton On if you want cheap stuff. There were a lot of good boutique stores around Sydney, I’m sure there’s some in Melbourne too. Failing that, I had New Look delivered from the UK several times!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/07/2018 at 12:24, Booma said:

I tend to get most of my clothes from Witchery, Country Road, David Jones, Myer, Cue, Veronica Maine, Just Jeans, Jeans West and places like that. I thought Melbourne was good for shopping when I was there as a backpacker. You really just need to stop looking for UK stores and start going into the stores you see and work out which ones you like.

I do, personally, think there are some great options in OZ, Witchery and Country Road are brilliant, CR I tend to think of as the NEXT I left home, they can be pricey, but we have Kmart, and I can honestly say beats any Primark (as in the one I left 8 years ago so I don't know what its like now!),  although a few joggers I bought in Kmart last year are still brilliant and wearing even better than when I bought them.  I think its subjective, come to OZ with am open mind but feel free to order your favourite bit online, just don't assume you can't get it here, you might be surprised about all the awesome things you actually can get here xxxxx

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

I do, personally, think there are some great options in OZ, Witchery and Country Road are brilliant, CR I tend to think of as the NEXT I left home, they can be pricey, but we have Kmart, and I can honestly say beats any Primark (as in the one I left 8 years ago so I don't know what its like now!),  although a few joggers I bought in Kmart last year are still brilliant and wearing even better than when I bought them.  I think its subjective, come to OZ with am open mind but feel free to order your favourite bit online, just don't assume you can't get it here, you might be surprised about all the awesome things you actually can get here xxxxx

Often that comes down to poms reluctance to travel, and I don’t mean on holiday.  Just about anything is available, but it probably won’t be close.  Way, way back we used to invite newly arrived poms from work to an event or a day out, but 99% of the time all we’d get was “no thanks, it’s too far”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whilst Tk max or whatever it's called might have fashions that are OK in the UK fashions are different here. In Perth especially I sometimes think I've gone back to the sixties and 70s hippy days. Nothing wrong with that I might add. Specially in Freo. 

Try the surf shops, they have allsorts in that might be more in tune with Aus weather. It's not all to do with surfing. They have coats, jeans, jumpers, t shirts etc etc. Usually better quality than your target, kmart and bigW equivalents. 

• Like 2

Ha, this is all so familiar! After London I found most high street fashion in Melbourne a bit, well... dowdy, frankly. I do miss TopShop and Joy, and half of my clothes are from TK maxx...

That said I've found a few things in Princess Highway/Dangerfield stores; it's not "standard" street fashion in that they have a specific audience (Dangerfield is on the rockabilly side whilst Princess Highway is about whimsy and forest critters prints) but if you like that kind of things you'll find cute knits, skirts, scarves, etc.

And since you are in Melbs there are a few good op shops in the hipster parts of town - BrotherHood of St Laurence on Brunswick Road for instance is a big one.

There's also heaps of small, cool independent stores around Brunswick, Northcote etc but these are of course pricier than high street fashion.

I'm also desperate for decent shoe stores... sigh.

And yes, humans don't HAVE to dress up. But some of us like to. I swear we do it mostly for ourselves,and not to annoy those who don't. So why not *not* be judgemental, hey? ? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:05, TheWayOfThePony said:

And yes, humans don't HAVE to dress up. But some of us like to. I swear we do it mostly for ourselves,and not to annoy those who don't. So why not *not* be judgemental, hey? ? 

haha, I mean, agreed! I'm happiest in my tracksuit bottoms and slippers but every now and then it's nice to dress up, feel good and have a nice time! Especially when you're homesick!!

Thanks for the replies everyone.... myself and my bank balance are working through all your suggestions!! LOL