Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

No one this affects can vote, so politicians are going to focus on the things that will earn them re-election from those who can vote them out.  Where is their incentive to fight for people without a voice in parliament? If/when those affected finally make it through the process in the future, the chances they'll then bother campaigning still for those still stuck in the system are slim I'd imagine. As migrants, ,this is incredibly frustrating given the time, , investment and commitment given so far to Australia, , and the desire to give more and integrate further/completely.  I assume it would be thrown out but who except migration agents who this must hit hard have the legal knowledge to take this on?

On 04/06/2017 at 15:48, seraphim said:

No one this affects can vote, so politicians are going to focus on the things that will earn them re-election from those who can vote them out.  Where is their incentive to fight for people without a voice in parliament? If/when those affected finally make it through the process in the future, the chances they'll then bother campaigning still for those still stuck in the system are slim I'd imagine. As migrants, ,this is incredibly frustrating given the time, , investment and commitment given so far to Australia, , and the desire to give more and integrate further/completely.  I assume it would be thrown out but who except migration agents who this must hit hard have the legal knowledge to take this on?

True.

I would add that while it is valid to feel frustrated by the recent immigration changes, most of us still have the choice to go back home if we feel that our home country would offer us more opportunities than Australia long term.

In that kind of situation, it is critical to step back, look at the big picture and ask ourselves the right questions, the questions that empower us rather than the ones who make us feel hopeless.

I am getting confused about comments referring to 'backdating'?? As far as I understood it only applications from 20th onwards are affected i.e date of announcement and forwards, I thought all applications made prior to 20th will be processed as per previous rule...what is being 'backdated'?

9 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

I am getting confused about comments referring to 'backdating'?? As far as I understood it only applications from 20th onwards are affected i.e date of announcement and forwards, I thought all applications made prior to 20th will be processed as per previous rule...what is being 'backdated'?

You're correct, the change only affects applications from the 20th onwards.  So there is no backdating of this to applications submitted prior to the 20th.

• Like 2

Spare a thought for those of us who don't even have PR yet...

I've been in the country working on a 457 for 6 years. I'll have my PR next year which means I would have been living and working in the country for 11 years by the time I can apply for citizenship. Which means it'll be 12 years before I will finally have it.

Yet I have friends who have been here less than me who have citizenship already, and there will be people arriving in the country today on PR visas who will get it before I do.

Tell me what's the difference between the way I've been living in the country this past 6 years on a temporary resident visa than those on a permanent visa? I am still working full time, paying taxes and living the Australian way. How different would I have lived here and integrated into Australia had I arrived here on a permanent visa? None!

And all because I changed jobs a few years into my 457 for a better opportunity.

I really hope they see some sense /logic to all this. Any idea how I can raise this point to anyone of importance who'd listen? Although hopefully someone in a similar position already has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Folks, Looks like all of our submissions have been a waste of time, for the first time ever the government decided to "hide" all submissions regarding the citizenship changes. 

Sounds like they are hiding an overwhelming number of complaints:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/feedback-on-controversial-citizenship-changes-to-be-kept-secret-20170609-gwnvow.html

also it appears Turnbull and Dutton don't care about the submissions and will double down even more with their own agenda:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/peter-dutton-seeks-stronger-powers-over-citizenship-decisions-20170611-gwp504.html

our next fight should be convincing labour and greens senators and MPs to reject these changes

Edited by wombatinabox

48 minutes ago, logbook100 said:

anyone received a new acknowledgement letter today? applied after 20/4/17.

Yes i received my new ammended one today. My application was paid for and fully submitted on the 20th, When there was no warning on their website regards these changes! I better receive a refund. The acknowledgement of receipt i received on the 20th april after making my application also didnt make and mention of these changes.

see below.

Acknowledgement of receipt of an application for Australian citizenship

This letter confirms that an application for Australian citizenship has been received for the following applicant:

harvey francis

Citizenship applications received on or after 20 April 2017

The package of reforms announced by the Prime Minister on 20 April 2017 is the response of the Government to the National Consultation on Citizenship in 2015, which indicated strong support for strengthening the requirements for Australian citizenship.

The package of reforms to strengthen the requirements for Australian citizenship includes:

- increasing the general residence requirement
- introducing an English language test
- strengthening the Australian Values Statement
- strengthening the test for Australian citizenship
- introducing a requirement for applicants to demonstrate their integration into the Australian community, and
- strengthening the Pledge of commitment.

The Government has released a paper Strengthening the test for Australian citizenship outlining the details of the new citizenship requirements. This paper is available on our websitewww.border.gov.au

The new citizenship requirements will apply to your application because it was received on or after 20 April 2017.

Processing times
The Department presently has a significant number of citizenship applications that are yet to be processed. Because the Department generally processes applications in the order they were received, there may be a delay before the Department decides your application.

For more information about processing times, refer to:
www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/global-visa-citizenship-processing-times

As your application progresses, you will receive further communication about the implementation of the new citizenship requirements, and we will contact you once your application has progressed to the next stage of the process.

If you applied online, you can check the progress of your application by logging into your online account (ImmiAccount) on our website at: www.border.gov.au

Changes to circumstances of the applicant listed in this letter

You should let us know about any changes to your circumstances as soon as possible. This includes changes to your name, contact details, address or information about children included in your application.

- For online applications, update your details by completing the online forms available through ImmiAccount.

- For paper applications, contact the Department quoting your name, date of birth and Request ID. For a change of address or passport details use Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details available on our website.

35 minutes ago, Rick89 said:

Yes i received my new ammended one today. My application was paid for and fully submitted on the 20th, When there was no warning on their website regards these changes! I better receive a refund. The acknowledgement of receipt i received on the 20th april after making my application also didnt make and mention of these changes.

see below.

Acknowledgement of receipt of an application for Australian citizenship

This letter confirms that an application for Australian citizenship has been received for the following applicant:

harvey francis

Citizenship applications received on or after 20 April 2017

The package of reforms announced by the Prime Minister on 20 April 2017 is the response of the Government to the National Consultation on Citizenship in 2015, which indicated strong support for strengthening the requirements for Australian citizenship.

The package of reforms to strengthen the requirements for Australian citizenship includes:

- increasing the general residence requirement
- introducing an English language test
- strengthening the Australian Values Statement
- strengthening the test for Australian citizenship
- introducing a requirement for applicants to demonstrate their integration into the Australian community, and
- strengthening the Pledge of commitment.

The Government has released a paper Strengthening the test for Australian citizenship outlining the details of the new citizenship requirements. This paper is available on our websitewww.border.gov.au

The new citizenship requirements will apply to your application because it was received on or after 20 April 2017.

Processing times
The Department presently has a significant number of citizenship applications that are yet to be processed. Because the Department generally processes applications in the order they were received, there may be a delay before the Department decides your application.

For more information about processing times, refer to:
www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/global-visa-citizenship-processing-times

As your application progresses, you will receive further communication about the implementation of the new citizenship requirements, and we will contact you once your application has progressed to the next stage of the process.

If you applied online, you can check the progress of your application by logging into your online account (ImmiAccount) on our website at: www.border.gov.au

Changes to circumstances of the applicant listed in this letter

You should let us know about any changes to your circumstances as soon as possible. This includes changes to your name, contact details, address or information about children included in your application.

- For online applications, update your details by completing the online forms available through ImmiAccount.

- For paper applications, contact the Department quoting your name, date of birth and Request ID. For a change of address or passport details use Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details available on our website.

Thanks for posting this and sharing it 

That officially confirms the application freeze. Not good!

I received too..I don't understand Dutton doing everything by force not following any system even laws.

every applicant receive that auto generate email  today morning.

immi account still showing application received, that not mentioned yet refused not even about application fees.

3 hours ago, Eddie937 said:

I received one too.

6 hours ago, wombatinabox said:

Thanks for posting this and sharing it 

That officially confirms the application freeze. Not good!

with this letter sent by DIBP on June 12 do you guys think this letter could be escalated to AAT and request DIBP following "existing" citizenship law ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whtzau said:

with this letter sent by DIBP on June 12 do you guys think this letter could be escalated to AAT and request DIBP following "existing" citizenship law ?

You're living in a dreamworld if you think that will have any effect on anything!

13 hours ago, wombatinabox said:

Hi Folks, Looks like all of our submissions have been a waste of time, for the first time ever the government decided to "hide" all submissions regarding the citizenship changes. 

Sounds like they are hiding an overwhelming number of complaints:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/feedback-on-controversial-citizenship-changes-to-be-kept-secret-20170609-gwnvow.html

also it appears Turnbull and Dutton don't care about the submissions and will double down even more with their own agenda:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/peter-dutton-seeks-stronger-powers-over-citizenship-decisions-20170611-gwp504.html

our next fight should be convincing labour and greens senators and MPs to reject these changes

You are right. 

On 11/06/2017 at 14:04, Vic154 said:

Spare a thought for those of us who don't even have PR yet...

I've been in the country working on a 457 for 6 years. I'll have my PR next year which means I would have been living and working in the country for 11 years by the time I can apply for citizenship. Which means it'll be 12 years before I will finally have it.

Yet I have friends who have been here less than me who have citizenship already, and there will be people arriving in the country today on PR visas who will get it before I do.

Tell me what's the difference between the way I've been living in the country this past 6 years on a temporary resident visa than those on a permanent visa? I am still working full time, paying taxes and living the Australian way. How different would I have lived here and integrated into Australia had I arrived here on a permanent visa? None!

And all because I changed jobs a few years into my 457 for a better opportunity.

I really hope they see some sense /logic to all this. Any idea how I can raise this point to anyone of importance who'd listen? Although hopefully someone in a similar position already has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here - Hopefully I get my PR soon ( applied one year ago...). Best case scenario, I would have lived 9 years here when I am allowed to apply for citizenship. If they do not change the rules by then of course. My Australian partner and I want kids and I am not thrilled about the idea of not being a citizen before that long...

We can ask ourselves how democratic it is to make people pay taxes all these years and not allowing them to have civil rights.