Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

Essentially nobody knows what's happening. 

All I know is that I only have 1 year pr and I am applying online in the hope that I get my citizenship before the laws change! It's a long shot, but a shot!

I was looking at the immigration website last week and there was a notice that said the new rules would apply retroactively to April 20th (or whatever date it was announced) once the legislation has been passed. So if you had not applied by that date then you're subject to the new rules.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Komalami said:

In march 

Aha.. good luck. couse I was wander if anybody submitted the application after 20/4 and get response? pls share so we can know if the DIPB process the applications or will be on hold.. the last call they say they will send emails if they need supportive documents  :(

Hi All,

I applied on April 23rd and meet both old and new requirements (4.5 years as PR and 8 in the IELTS test taken 5 years ago). I personally don't like the English requirement (redundant in my case and not fair for genuine refugees, who could not get quality education in their home country), but most of all what I can't stand is the retrospective nature of the proposed change and the consequent loop/limbo where my application is sitting at the moment.

I have expressed my concerns sending an email to the DIPB and I urge everyone to do so (public comments are invited by 1st June 2017 by emailing citizenship.submissions@border.gov.au).

It's important to clarify that to make such changes, the Government will need to draft a Bill, present it to the parliament and have it passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate, before it becomes law. Right now the proposed citizenship changes are in a “consultation phase” and the Bill has not been drafted. 

Once again, best course of action is to submit your view to citizenship.submissions@border.gov.au and contact your local MP.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dredg97 said:

Hi All,

I applied on April 23rd and meet both old and new requirements (4.5 years as PR and 8 in the IELTS test taken 5 years ago). I personally don't like the English requirement (redundant in my case and not fair for genuine refugees, who could not get quality education in their home country), but most of all what I can't stand is the retrospective nature of the proposed change and the consequent loop/limbo where my application is sitting at the moment.

I have expressed my concerns sending an email to the DIPB and I urge everyone to do so (public comments are invited by 1st June 2017 by emailing citizenship.submissions@border.gov.au).

It's important to clarify that to make such changes, the Government will need to draft a Bill, present it to the parliament and have it passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate, before it becomes law. Right now the proposed citizenship changes are in a “consultation phase” and the Bill has not been drafted. 

Once again, best course of action is to submit your view to citizenship.submissions@border.gov.au and contact your local MP.

The key issue is the back dating, that's what we need to fight for. Makes no sense to back date a change when it's not even finalised or approved.  It should apply to future arrivals so that those looking to settle in Australia can plan and decide accordingly. Many ppl for example would have gone to Canada knowing these new rules exist. 

Otherwise those applying after April 20 (if eligible) are looking at a 1.5-2 year wait to get to ceremony phase as apps are on hold until 2018.

I don't think anyone of us wants to wait that long for something that took 6 months in the past. 

Edited by wombatinabox

I also wrote my view on citizenship application and emailed to citizenship.submission@border. gov.au. I think it is not reasonable to let applicants do an English test again, if they have done this when they applied for the PR visa (like subclass 885). I hope all of us can pass this view to the DIBP.

3 hours ago, Roberta2 said:

Have you noticed the Labor Party opposing these changes?

4 hours ago, wombatinabox said:

The key issue is the back dating, that's what we need to fight for. Makes no sense to back date a change when it's not even finalised or approved.  It should apply to future arrivals so that those looking to settle in Australia can plan and decide accordingly. Many ppl for example would have gone to Canada knowing these new rules exist. 

Otherwise those applying after April 20 (if eligible) are looking at a 1.5-2 year wait to get to ceremony phase as apps are on hold until 2018.

I don't think anyone of us wants to wait that long for something that took 6 months in the past. 

From Australian Citizenship Bill 2005 to Australian Citizenship Act 2007, it takes almost 1.5 years to finalize.

I do not think DIBP is able to put all the applications made on or after 20/04/2017 on hold till mid of 2019.

6 hours ago, Komalami said:

Guys I gave  my citizenship test last week on 5 

but I have not got any approval letter or anything??

is it normal 

Yes, that's normal. The approval letter comes by Snail mail from Canberra and can easily take more than a week to arrive.

14 hours ago, dredg97 said:

Hi All,

I am currently living in Baulkham Hill NSW and just found local MP is assistant minister of dibp - http://www.openaustralia.org.au/mp/alex_hawke/mitchell.

how can we contact our local MP ? make an appointment or just email them ?

2 hours ago, whtzau said:

I am currently living in Baulkham Hill NSW and just found local MP is assistant minister of dibp - http://www.openaustralia.org.au/mp/alex_hawke/mitchell.

how can we contact our local MP ? make an appointment or just email them ?

Just email them or write a letter. Some MPs are active and some are lazy and dont bother replying, you might have to send multiple emails to get a response. Do the same for your senator

My MP here in Melbourne is great responds within hours.

Edited by wombatinabox

19 hours ago, Roberta2 said:

Have you noticed the Labor Party opposing these changes?

Apparently yes, particularly on the English requirement (many MPs contacted are keeping saying that being good at grammar doesn't make you necessarily a good citizen).

Greens are against the change, but most importantly many (including liberals) are concerned abut the retrospective aspect of the proposal.

It's just speculation here, but probably the bill (once drafted) will go through in many aspects and few things will be dropped (hopefully the retroactive date).

Cheers. 

1 minute ago, dredg97 said:

Apparently yes, particularly on the English requirement (many MPs contacted are keeping saying that being good at grammar doesn't make you necessarily a good citizen).

Greens are against the change, but most importantly many (including liberals) are concerned abut the retrospective aspect of the proposal.

It's just speculation here, but probably the bill (once drafted) will go through in many aspects and few things will be dropped (hopefully the retroactive date).

Cheers. 

Yep. Pretty much the back dating needs to go that will solve the problem for all sides. Should apply for future arrivals who can make informed decision about settling in Australia. 

The English and new citizenship tests are negligible issues. Anyone with basic English understanding can pass both of these tests (even if it's politically motivated and doing IELTS twice doesn't make sense) 

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/migrant-with-permanent-residence/eligibility

General residence requirement

The general residence requirement is based on the amount of time you have lived in Australia.

You must meet all of the following:

• have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
  • must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.

This link above sounds like the 'old' rules (pre-April 20) - has this page not been updated then?

My wife has been a temporary resident (457) since Sept '14 and a permanent resident since Nov '15. She was planning to apply for citizenship in Oct '18.

On 12/05/2017 at 10:41 AM, bwatt99 said:

Yes but can you? Or have the not changed that part online yet?

I know from experience with mine i could only apply last year on a date when i was eligible.

But as we have new rules are we still eligible to apply under old rules if we are what happens then?

They leave it on hold? It slips through? Or the laws dont pass and we have head start?

Or could they reject it and not refund the money?

It would be great if my wife can apply as it would have been 1st june. But now to qualify under new rules as pr she is now july next yr which will be the 4 yrs of pr for her.

We if she is eligible to do online still on old date will give it a shot but surely they not cancek it as its a bit of work just getting all the stuff together.

And as for any police check im not going to rush into getting that as only good for a certain time 12 months if i remember?

I have now submitted, got the acknowledgment straight away! I

I hope it means it will all be prossesed before the laws come into effect! Not sure though!

It nit worried about not getting refunded it's only 280

I don't need a police check 

just found federal budget 2017-18 from news -  http://www.theaustralian.com.au/budget-2017/budget-2017-new-tax-on-overseas-labour-to-fund-apprentices/news-story/9a0fa0a940b0c4d27974b0ae1a63e02b

there's "Permanent skilled-visa workers would cost small firms a one-off $3000 levy and large companies $5000." ..

does it mean employer will need to pay 5000 aud for hiring people with PR visa ????

3 minutes ago, whtzau said:

just found federal budget 2017-18 from news -  http://www.theaustralian.com.au/budget-2017/budget-2017-new-tax-on-overseas-labour-to-fund-apprentices/news-story/9a0fa0a940b0c4d27974b0ae1a63e02b

there's "Permanent skilled-visa workers would cost small firms a one-off $3000 levy and large companies $5000." ..

does it mean employer will need to pay 5000 aud for hiring people with PR visa ????

No, only if the employer wants to sponsor you for PR then they have to pay for the process.

If you are already PR and working then no problem 

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 03:28, whtzau said:

Hi Zet,

My IMMI only shows following. as the same as yours ?

he changes will not apply to applications made before 20 April 2017 (that is, the current rules will continue to apply to applications made before 20 April 2017).

Applicants will receive communication on the implementation of these measures and any additional information and documentation that may be required to support their application.

If one or both of the scenarios above apply to the applicant then they will need to lodge a paper application.

Before commencing the online Citizenship application check the application eligibility criteria.

Applicants cannot apply online if one or both of the following scenarios apply to them:

• the applicant entered Australia before July 1990 and has not travelled outside of Australia since that date or
  • the applicant is seeking an exemption or concession to the application fee.

If one or both of the scenarios above apply to the applicant then they will need to lodge a paper application.

Hi @whtzau, yes. that is the same info in my immi account. My understanding is you can only apply for paper application, but looks like @Keep me in oz was able to apply online.

I am confused now if I should do the same :(

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 20:10, Keep me in oz said:

I have now submitted, got the acknowledgment straight away! I

I hope it means it will all be prossesed before the laws come into effect! Not sure though!

It nit worried about not getting refunded it's only 280

I don't need a police check 

Hi @Keep me in oz, what was mentioned in the acknowledgement letter? I wonder how you applied online. Am going 4 years end May, not that keen to do it, but since you have done it, I am interested to know what will happen to your application. Can you please let us know the progress? Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Zet01 said:

Hi @Keep me in oz, what was mentioned in the acknowledgement letter? I wonder how you applied online. Am going 4 years end May, not that keen to do it, but since you have done it, I am interested to know what will happen to your application. Can you please let us know the progress? Thank you.

Sure, I am happy to help!

I applied online and filled out all the questions as anyone would I guess.

i got an automated acknowledgement within seconds. Money has also left my account.

in comparison with other visa, all was normal, no weird questions or anything about the proposed changes other than a few warnings about them