Findings so far of being in the UK

Johndoe

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I guess they don't get returning customers. A Pukka pie, probably the best pie in the world, is less than half the price you quoted.

Just reminding you that JD is in Salisbury, not far from Southampton, and I thought we'd already established that prices in this part of England are quite a bit higher than where you are. At least I hope they are, because I'm banking on the fact that we'll find somewhere more affordable to live further north, once our six month lease is up.

^^^ Moi aussi but I expected that as can be seen from my opening post. I could also foresee exactly who would be the spoilers. Totally predictable wolf pack mentality and exactly what so many of them accuse others of doing. I'll just leave it there as we live and learn eh?

Bournemouth today, if only for Jake to catch a glimpse of squirrels in an "open" environment. There were quite a few in the gardens leading down to the pier but I have to say, I was underwhelmed by the "seaside atmosphere" in comparison to places such as Brighton, Scarborough, or indeed, any Northern seaside resorts. Not a seafood stall to be found and I was really hanging out for some whelks :-( There was bugger all open on the pier as well other than the arcades and the other main reason we went was for the older kids to do the death slide from the pier to the prom but we were informed it wouldn't be opening till 7pm!! and we had to be back in Salisbury for 5 for Lily's cheer-leading practice

Lunch was just a 6" subway as we will be stuffing later, which was spoiled by the approx 4'10" female (Eastern European?) manager berating loudly and in public, a 6' + plus male (who struggled with his English explanation) for accepting 5 x 1 pound coins as tender. Apparently they had a rule that no more than 2 coins could be tendered in one transaction, due to a spate of forgeries? I honestly could have given her a slap! What was the guy supposed to do if that was all the cash the customer had with them? I've also had 50quid notes refused as tender on two occasions.

I witnessed a similar "dressing down" of a staff member in Harry Ramsdens in Brighton and no, I'm not being racist, I'm just wondering if this is normal cultural/demeaning behaviour between superiors and subordinates not of English descent? I've read enough whinges on PIO about workplace bullying in Oz but this was public humiliation of the highest order and he just stood there and took it?

Highlight of my day was that I found some "monkey nuts". They're not called that nowadays (something like choccy chewies) They're the little rough chocolate balls about the size of a Treet but unglazed and with a chewy caramel type centre............Ambrosia!

It's our last night in Salisbury and although we were going to be having an early night Jake wants to see the cathedral at night so we have to wait for the light to go and the town to be lit so it looks like a late night :-) We will spend the next few hours freshening up and looking for what hopefully will be the best Indian restaurant in Salisbury.

Josh's infection seems to be clearing with the antibiotics but I've had a bad cough for the last 3 days and ran a fever last night (skin hot to the touch but I was shivering under the doonah) It seems to have abated and i expected it because I can't remember ever having a holiday anytime/anywhere where I didn't get crook with something

Lewis my 15yr old 6'5" grandson has just said goodbye as he won't see us tomorrow due to his school sports day. Rather un-nerving seeing someone so big with tears streaming down his cheeks :-( I'll have it all again tomorrow with the rest of the family. My son informs me that lewis's education authority only allows 4.5 days off before an investigation is launched with the likelihood of the parent's being prosecuted, for anything other than illness.

Next time I talk will likely be from the hotel in London tomorrow night, before we fly back Saturday morning

Edited by Johndoe

^^^ Moi aussi but I expected that as can be seen from my opening post. I could also foresee exactly who would be the spoilers. Totally predictable wolf pack mentality and exactly what so many of them accuse others of doing. I'll just leave it there as we live and learn eh?

Bournemouth today, if only for Jake to catch a glimpse of squirrels in an "open" environment. There were quite a few in the gardens leading down to the pier but I have to say, I was underwhelmed by the "seaside atmosphere" in comparison to places such as Brighton, Scarborough, or indeed, any Northern seaside resorts. Not a seafood stall to be found and I was really hanging out for some whelks :-( There was bugger all open on the pier as well other than the arcades and the other main reason we went was for the older kids to do the death slide from the pier to the prom but we were informed it wouldn't be opening till 7pm!! and we had to be back in Salisbury for 5 for Lily's cheer-leading practice

Lunch was just a 6" subway as we will be stuffing later, which was spoiled by the approx 4'10" female (Eastern European?) manager berating loudly and in public, a 6' + plus male (who struggled with his English explanation) for accepting 5 x 1 pound coins as tender. Apparently they had a rule that no more than 2 coins could be tendered in one transaction, due to a spate of forgeries? I honestly could have given her a slap! What was the guy supposed to do if that was all the cash the customer had with them? I've also had 50quid notes refused as tender on two occasions.

I witnessed a similar "dressing down" of a staff member in Harry Ramsdens in Brighton and no, I'm not being racist, I'm just wondering if this is normal cultural/demeaning behaviour between superiors and subordinates not of English descent? I've read enough whinges on PIO about workplace bullying in Oz but this was public humiliation of the highest order and he just stood there and took it?

Highlight of my day was that I found some "monkey nuts". They're not called that nowadays (something like choccy chewies) They're the little rough chocolate balls about the size of a Treet but unglazed and with a chewy caramel type centre............Ambrosia!

It's our last night in Salisbury and although we were going to be having an early night Jake wants to see the cathedral at night so we have to wait for the light to go and the town to be lit so it looks like a late night :-) We will spend the next few hours freshening up and looking for what hopefully will be the best Indian restaurant in Salisbury.

Josh's infection seems to be clearing with the antibiotics but I've had a bad cough for the last 3 days and ran a fever last night (skin hot to the touch but I was shivering under the doonah) It seems to have abated and i expected it because I can't remember ever having a holiday anytime/anywhere where I didn't get crook with something

Lewis my 15yr old 6'5" grandson has just said goodbye as he won't see us tomorrow due to his school sports day. Rather un-nerving seeing someone so big with tears streaming down his cheeks :-( I'll have it all again tomorrow with the rest of the family. My son informs me that lewis's education authority only allows 4.5 days off before an investigation is launched with the likelihood of the parent's being prosecuted, for anything other than illness.

Next time I talk will likely be from the hotel in London tomorrow night, before we fly back Saturday morning

Salisbury is not too far from my home in Hants. I always looked forward Tony first glimpse of the cathedral spire, though the actual drive into city I recall bring unattractive (not that Soton is any more uplifting.)

Totally knackered so couldn't wait for the light to go down and the cathedral to be lit.

If you're ever visiting Salisbury, we've just had a meal at the Kings Head Inn and I can recommend it with regards to value for money. Thursday is curry night where you pick your choice of curry complete with onion bhaji, naan bread, poppadom and a pint for 6.95. All up, a lamb roghan josh with the above accompaniments, two 14oz Angus rump steaks served with peas, chips, tomato, mushrooms and 3 pints, came to 34.95............I'm well chuffed innit! ;-)

Off to bed

Why can't all you usual suspects just leave this thread alone, All Kev is doing is mentioning/reporting how he is finding his trip.

He isn't doing this to start any arguments, but as usual some posters just seem to delight in high jacking thread after thread.

Kev enjoy what is left of your trip, spend time with your family, and hope that your visit helps you decide where to live.

Totally agree Ramot. So often a good thread just dies because when many of us see that little group of posters taking over again, we just tune out.

So Kev just carry on with your interesting observations..... many of us are enjoying hearing about your trip. I have just returned to Oz after a few months in UK, and many of your observations coincide with mine. Travel safe.

Edited by Rossmoyne

Back at last.......I hate that flight. Never again with Malaysia. We're all "good eaters" and love curries and Asian food but there's something about Malaysian Airlines? The smell!!!!!! It's not of curry or anything recognisable but a sweet sickly smell that seems to permeate the whole flight, and unfortunately, our seat back on both legs were next to the galley. We had a Burger King at the KL transfer to "get us through" but none of us could eat anything on both legs as the smell had literally "turned our stomachs. We've just had "cheese toasties" for supper and it was wonderful........as was a taster of the litre bottles of Remy that I got duty free for $24...........should sleep well tonight.

No matter where you roam, there's nothing like your own bed. I just lay on mine for 10 minutes before starting the unpack and it was heavenly, if somewhat cold :-)

Well, the laundry floor is heaped high with washing (that will need ironing) but whereas once that would detract from the holiday and fire me up, I'm coming to realise that petty crap such as that shouldn't infringe on your life.it's all part of the game so to speak.

6000 images will need to be edited and culled, but I hope eventually to show the interiors of the homes that we have visited. Flash isn't allowed in any of them, so halfway decent pics are hard to come by due tho the intentional dim lighting that is aimed at preserving fabrics and paintings. You actually have to see these interiors for yourselves to fully appreciate, but for those that can't, I hope to have some showing within the week.

We stayed at the Premier Inn the last night. Right under the landing flight path of many planes (one every minute to be exact) I'm not of the "train spotting" variety but to see these buggers coming in, almost as if you could touch them, was a sight to behold. Snapped some of them along with the eccentrics there that knew exactly which plane was due to land at any given time and who seemed to wonder why I would be snapping a BA whoppety whop when a Dreamliner thingymajig was due to land. A plane's a plane to me but these guys talked as if they were their babies :-) Parking is only 10quid for 24 hrs which seemed to attract these guys and is obviously an extra source of income for the Premier Inn which states that "parking is on a first come first served basis" Next door, with the planes looking as if they were going to collide with the upper deck, was "purple parking". In one of what I thought to be was one of my wittier moments, I commented on how close the planes came to those parking their vehicles and in the light of that, shouldn't it be called "brown parking"...............my kids deserted me almost at a run :-) I recommend the Premier for one of the most comfortable beds, deepest baths, and cleanest rooms that I have encountered in a hotel chain, The 2 course evening meal, with a pint thrown in, and unlimited full englsh breakfast is not to be sniffed at either at 23quid each.If you're heading that way, be wary of satnavs (one with the hire car and one I took with us) that will give you 2 premier inns, both at 15 Bath road, in Hounslow, 5 kilometres apart!!!!!!!! after looking for both, and an hour of going in circles, Josh's iphone and google got us there

Off to top up my brandy :-) Didn't sleep on either leg........watched avatar for the umpteenth time, and yet am still wide awake...........the kids have gonked and Jake is at work at 7.30. God bless him, but my mind is on overtime, so here's hoping another tot , or two, will do the trick

Skip to the important stuff. What was the breakfast bacon like? [emoji12]

Actually, the worst bit........dried out on the Bain Marie. Sausage was good and the scambled aggs actually seemd like they hadn't been made from powdered egg, although I guess they were.

Guest The Pom Queen

Posts have been deleted and warnings given. Please remember if you have nothing nice to say then keep quiet.

Hope you had a good time! I'll continue to skip malaysia airlines then lol. I agree about premier inn, we used them for the hen night and it was a really good price but very clean and the beds were really comfy. I thought they were really high lol I was scared of falling out :laugh:

Back at last.......I hate that flight. Never again with Malaysia. We're all "good eaters" and love curries and Asian food but there's something about Malaysian Airlines? The smell!!!!!! It's not of curry or anything recognisable but a sweet sickly smell that seems to permeate the whole flight, and unfortunately, our seat back on both legs were next to the galley. We had a Burger King at the KL transfer to "get us through" but none of us could eat anything on both legs as the smell had literally "turned our stomachs. We've just had "cheese toasties" for supper and it was wonderful........as was a taster of the litre bottles of Remy that I got duty free for $24...........should sleep well tonight.

No matter where you roam, there's nothing like your own bed. I just lay on mine for 10 minutes before starting the unpack and it was heavenly, if somewhat cold :-)

k

Well that really surprises me Kev! now Linda! she can smell a fart in a sewage works, but not once has she made any comment on any sort of smell on Malaysian or at KL and the food? well, we avoid Burger King. However, though we have not tried it yet, you can pay to go in the Lounge and get food and drink in comfortable and quiet surroundings, but to be cooped-up in a small room after just been 12 hrs cooped-up in another smaller room needs thinking about. We tend to walk around for the exercise, get the train to the other terminal, there is an Harrods shop and cafe there, all passes the time on your 2 - 4 hr changeover.

Know what you mean about beds though! Strange how we look forward to holidays, but then really look forward to home.

Regarding your plane seats, then "Seat Guru" is your friend, though you do not need to know where all the good seats are you really do need to know where the few bad seats are!

Look forward to seeing your photos.

Welcome home. We nearly always stay at Premier Inns and can't fault them.

Will be interesting to hear how you feel about living here or there after your visit?

Hope the jet lag isn't too bad.

We are off next week for 9 weeks, to see our son and grandchildren, go out of necessity rather than desire, and don't laugh really don't want it to be too hot. I know everyone there longs for the sun, but I find it very hot and stuffy, and miss my aircon! If it wasn't for needing to be there during their school holidays I would go for spring or autumn.

Glad you made it back home safe.....We have also flown Malaysian a number of times and never experienced an unpleasant smell.....I think most of the long haul airlines offer a great service but then I am not the complaining type and always try and look for the positives......I'm the same as K&L and never have the fast food crap available at airports....the wife and kids love them though....I always prefer to hunt out a shop selling sandwiches and get my self a drink.