Biggest Mistake of my Life!

Beachbum

Sorry but I had to laugh when I got to the bit about your parents waving your dog goodbye. Made me think this might be a windup.

Actually, the dog nearly died a few months before the Oz move and my parents helped me nurse him back to health. Just because he's a dog doesn't mean my parents didn't love him or weren't going to miss him. They were really cut up over it. Sorry if it might seem strange to you but we think dogs are family!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back beachbum. If you are not sure of what to do, do nothing at all. Just for the meantime. Sometimes just waiting a little bit brings a new perspective. I was in a similar situation at one point, could not think straight. It does take time so don't be hard on yourself. If you are emotional, get somebody else to help with the logic who is not caught up in the same emotion. If your dad is being cared for in the UK and is ok at the moment, then maybe your priority at this point, is to be with your dog. Focus on your dog, and your hubby at this stage. Plan for UK, but not with deadlines or pressure. And go walking! It can do wonders to clear your head! All the best.

Hi Everyone. Not even sure how to begin this as I'm so confused right now, and so desperately unhappy. I've been in Oz since September, following my Australian husband out from the UK. It was traumatic, but the excitement and anticipation kind of eclipsed the bad stuff, and I felt pretty settled as we enjoyed our first 6 weeks or so in Sydney. Things started to go bad for me when the tenants vacated our house and we made the move to the Blue Mountains (aka the Blues Mountains!). I've always HATED being cold and damp, so the climate here in the upper mountains has been my worst nightmare, with temperatures sinking below 12 degrees and ghastly, freezing fog that is worse than any English winter - and this was in the summer! I feel horribly isolated, and as time has gone on, starting to wonder why the hell I moved here. It rains nearly every day, everything is constantly dripping water, my arthritis is giving me hell, and my dog and I were both recently covered in leeches from the quagmire that is our back yard. I have to say I'm not that impressed with Sydney either as every time I go there it's either p*ssing down with rain, or struggling with pathetic, insipid temperatures. My parents were good about me going, all things considered, but this is where the nightmare is really kicking in. My Dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor just before I left the UK, and although it is benign and has now been treated, my Dad keeps having seizures and ended up in hospital (first of a number of admissions) on Xmas day. I feel so desperately, utterly guilty for leaving my parents, and the images of our goodbyes are haunting me to the point where I feel as though I'm losing my mind.

I can't stop crying - I burst into tears for no apparent reason, and anything can set me off. Music, a film, even words in a book. Tears are pouring down my face right now. My doctor wants me to see a psychiatrist but I can't afford to -my financial situation is absolutely dire, and another reason for me being so depressed. I have nobody to talk to as I'm frightened of upsetting people. I don't want my husband to start hating me as I pushed so hard for this move, and if I mention any of this to my parents, I'm scared I'll give them false hope that I might come back. I just don't know what to do - I was desperate to leave the UK, but now I'm desperate to return. But I don't know if returning really would make me feel better as I've wanted out for years. I just wish to God that we'd moved to Spain or France - somewhere easily accessible to the UK.

I'm really hating Australia right now. Overpriced, overrated! I'm so sick of being ripped off every time I go shopping to feed us - the prices here are beyond a joke. The weather is utter cr*p - you certainly can't rely on it, and I honestly think it's WORSE than the UK! I hate the way drivers crawl all over your bumper the minute you get on the road - but the police will have you if you go 1km over the speed limit. (My husband got an $800 fine recently on a trap). I hate being so poor, but most of all I HATE being so far from my loved ones.

I just don't know what the hell to do. Either way, someone's going to end up being really badly hurt, whether it's my husband because I've walked out and headed home to the UK, or my family, if I decide to stay here. The price of my "dream" lifestyle is proving way too high - the dream wasn't anything like I thought it would be and has turned into a nightmare. All I can see is the pain in my parents' eyes as they waved goodbye to me and my dog. Knowing they'll probably never see my dog again - who they loved dearly. That our two dogs will never run together again. That it could even be the last time they saw me... I feel as though I'm going crazy with grief. I honestly believe I have made the biggest mistake of my life!

I've not read all the responses on here to your post but I have to say that you do not need to see a psychiatrist in my opinion. You are not mentally ill, you are sad and you are homesick. You are also making the mistake most nice people make, you are trying to please everybody! This is a very stressful way to live and also impossible, so no wonder it makes us unwell!

Having said that I am sure if you can find a professional to talk to then that would be very useful, but please don't think of yourself as "mad" because you are, in fact, speaking very logically.

Having returned to the UK from our Aussie Dream a couple of years ago, I wish we had been more selfish. I wish we had spent more time thinking of ourselves rather than feeling guilty to those we had left behind. But these thoughts make us who we are, and I often felt that the Brits that we met in Australia were generally selfish and quite unpleasant people...I found myself wondering if those are the characteristics you need to get by! I don't now believe that at all, I just think in order to get by and thrive in a new country you have to be determined and single minded. I do believe that by the end of our 26 months in Australia I (DEFINITELY) and Mrs Blobby (MORE THAN USUAL) had become somewhat insane.

I do agree with you about the car drivers and the fines.!!!!!! I moaned about this constantly and nobody could see what I was getting at, I mention it in England and people say "you cant have left Oz due to the drivers, surely!!" but I found it encapsulated Australian life perfectly! (now I sometimes wished I'd just laughed it off!)

So what's my advice?

TALK TO PEOPLE!!!!!

Talk to your husband first. He's not much of a husband if he doesn't care what you are feeling. I'm sure he will listen. I'm sure that will help. We are not mind readers. We men need to know why you are upset so tell him!!!!

Talk to your parents. It's not false hope. They love you. Talk to them!

And then make a choice/ Maybe give it a certain amount of time....or don't!

But believe me, the UK ain't perfect, and you obviously left for a reason, try to remember what that was because the reasons you left will all be waiting for you if you return!!! That's not to scare you, just to get you to think carefully.

Best of luck and if I'm any help you can always PM me. I've been there!!

Edited by blobby1000

I have always wondered why people head for capital cities especially Sydney and Melbourne which are so expencive. Aus is a huge place the climate and cost of living vary a lot. Does your husband have a job that would be easy to find in a different state/town ? Honesty is always the best policy, you never know maybe he is miserable as well but putting on a brave face because he thinks you are happy in the mountains. Time to sit down and be honest and tell him how you feel. Between the two of you maybe you can come up with some ideas as to how you can make things better.

I knew a couple who bought a wild red patterned carpet. The loudest bloody carpet I have ever seen. It covered half of their house.

Every day (it seemed) he would remark what a wonderful carpet it was and his wife would agree.

Then one day the carpet wore out (after about 15 years). He said to his wife, please can we replace the carpet?

She said "shall we get another bright patterned carpet?"

He said "no, I only bought that because you liked it"

"I didn't like it" she replied "I only agreed because I thought you liked it!"

Don't spend 15 years with your own silly carpet TALK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Quoll,

Thanks for asking. Still in a quandry and hubby suggested I go home for a few months so I can spend time with my parents - and get away from the BlueS Mountains until we're in a position to think about moving somewhere more hospitable. Great of him to offer that, but now of course I know I'll feel so guilty leaving him! I'm really in a no-win right now and just don't know what the hell to do. Still bursting into tears at the slightest thing and we also have the problem of our dog. Hubby can't care for him as he's out 14 hours a day, and has suggested I take him back home too, but the expense is crazy and I'd be worried sick about putting the poor dog through all that again. And if the dog and I are in the UK, apart from my husband, what incentive is there to come back to Oz? Am I running away too soon? I wanted to set up my own business here and haven't even tried it, but the urge to go back to the UK is overwhelming right now. Just so torn, worrying that if I do this, I'll then be beating myself up for not giving Oz my best shot. But if something awful happened to my Dad and I missed the opportunity to spend time with him..... Such a hideous situation and I just can't think straight!

Without wanting to intrude into your personal life too much, but why the Blue mountains and why is your OH out at work for so long, I'm the stay at home one and my wife works and she is gone for 9.5hrs and i feel like that is a long time and i have a town around me and a car and a bus route outside.

I am not being critical about the choices, just pointing out that there are some issues just from the choices made, we were separated in oz at the beginning for 6months whilst she did fly in fly out, and then when we left after almost 10 years it was in a large part because we could not see any other options for her than working full time with a big job in oz so there are some realities which just flow from the options that are available to migrants, and i think we would have come back much earlier if she had not been fortunate enough to get a senior job after 4 years of very middling type work.

So there are realities to the options available, i think we got thro a lot of the cr*p by having some sense of it getting better, saying that the present was leading onto better things, is that some way of getting thro the present very difficult times.

As everyone has said it needs both of you to recognise that the present is not working for you and there has to be a plan in place which gives both of you at least the possibility of change further down the track or get an understanding of why the choices that have been made have been made.

Sometimes people just do not realise that the choices they make have a profound effect on those around them especially if they are very a goal orientated person does it have to be the blue mountains, is it because it's cheap housing or is it work or is it family, family is always the most difficult of course, and work for some people is almost more important but whatever it is you have to say that you as an individual are worth more than any of those and that you being happy is more important.

Try taking out of the equation the fact that you have migrated and try to look at the issues objectively and ask is the promised payoff worth the sacrifices being made.

Glad your back on here blobby how's England been for you.you glad you went home?. I remember you saying Cornwall didnt work out for you.all the best BP

It's been interesting! Been back longer than we were in Australia now. We do miss Australia a lot and are never quite sure if we made the right choice, some days it feels like we did, some days not. I'm sure you are never quite the same person after emigrating and seeing a different side to the world. Sometimes other people (over here, that never seem to do anything) seem so narrow minded, but unfortunately I think we were quite narrow minded in Australia and spent too long thinking about the things we missed rather than what we had in Australia! But it's a difficult thing to do, moving to the other side of the world, and I don't think it's for everyone!

Jacaranda, that was a really kind suggestion to Beachbum. I think Beachbum could try and work out- is how she's feeling just culture-shock, and might wear off, or is it a longer lasting feeling. I used to live here for 15 years or so, but now live back in the UK, and come here for work occasionally. I thought the anti-Pom stuff was wearing off, but I'm seeing a resurgence if it with the myths of Gallipoli this year starting to rile up young Aussies. I think it is the media preparing Oz for the independence debate that will happen big time when a) Turnbull replaces Abbott, and b) when QEII leaves office. I'm not enjoying this trip! ?

But, that said, it's a great country! I miss it when I'm home for long periods, and despite the media Pom-bashing, most of my friends here are terrific. Just wish Australia could focus on a positive vision for itself in the next 50 years, instead of harking back to Gallipoli all the time!!

Can you last long enough to get dual citizenship? Then if you change your mind later, it's not such a problem coming back again.

Maybe it's time people in Britain updated their impressions of Australia ? Many seem to come here from the UK because they want to believe the grass is greener in Oz. Some years ago, a woman still resident in the UK became close to feral in this forum at the mere suggestion life in Oz wasn't like the movie. She'd never been here and posted all the time with updates re: her family's progress as far as emigrating was concerned - ' only two more months', etc. And despite that she'd never stepped foot in Australia, she laid into anyone who as much as breathed they -- who were in Oz -- weren't as thrilled about the place as they'd expected to be. It was as if she thought that by controlling everyone else's opinion about Oz that she could keep her unrealistic dreams alive. And she had plenty of supporters here, almost as if there existed a gang whose very livelihood depended on being seen to be keeping the Oz myths alive

Sure, 50, 60 years ago, Poms made the big, exciting journey to Oz. Many were the talk of the village. Such a long journey - six weeks by ship. All those wonderful fresh foods, tropical fruits, everything so cheap compared with the old UK (which was still living on rations in the early 50s). Once here, they sent happy-snaps back home, showing themselves tanned, sitting on the beach. Of course, now we know a lot of it was sheer bravado. They knew those back home expected such photos and glowing accounts of Australia. Those UK pounds stretched a long way back then. And work was far easier to find then, compared to now. Sit, work and play in the sun long enough and sure, you'll develop a tan. Smiling for the camera takes a few seconds and what else would you do in a photo -- frown? So the myths about Australia grew out of proportion. And to cover the fact many early Poms in Oz had toilets consisting of stinking cans in an outside dunny and had cracked lino on the floors of their unheated weatherboard and fibro homes, those brave little Poms on Oz of decades ago made jokes, cracked hearty, kept a stiff upper lip and pretended they were loving it in Australia

The truth was a different story. As Pommy migrants, they copped a lot of stick just for being Pommies, and so did their kids. Work wasn't anywhere near as plentiful as the Aussie government was claiming to potential migrants who attended all those promotional film nights. The houses on offer in Oz were basic, infested with cockroaches, ants, spider and often - snakes. It was a huge country and travel expensive. Migrants had to really put effort into establishing friendships and were not swiftly accepted - and this is borne out not only in migrant tales recounted by Poms but by people from all over the world who'd taken a chance on Australia. Drink was the ice-breaker, the oil, so fine for drinkers and tough for those who expected a bit more from social encounters than Aussie men guzzling grog on one corner and the women in another, forced to chat about home and kids. Thousands of female migrants from the UK lived for years in a state of repressed depression, forcing themselves to be chirpy for the husband and kids. Most Poms in Oz back then for some reason told themselves they'd made their bed and must lie in it for life

Things are different now. It's no big deal to move to Oz - just a plane flight. Sure, a lengthy plane flight, but it's just a trip when all's said and done. It's not like Colombus sailing into the unknown, the way it used to be regarded. It's time other myths were put to bed too. Australia hasn't been 'cheap' for a long, long time. The Aussie mateship beliefs belong on tv, in fiction such as Neighbours. After all, do Poms expect to see real-life Donald Ducks or Mickey Mouses and movie stars all over the US? No. They're movies, entertainment. And so are the unrealistic expectations about Australia, although, granted, the Australian government capitalises on desperate Poms in the UK and their wish that Australia be some sort of cheap, tropical fruit and beach-filled Shangri-la

There's internet now. Every single aspect of Australia is accessible online, from the prices of houses, travel distances, schools, welfare-provisions, educational standards, the price of eggs and tea-bags, the weather generally and temperatures for every single part of this massive chunk of rock in the south-pacific. Migrating to Australia can no longer be likened to a voyage into the unknown. So why aren't Poms availing themselves of the million pieces of information at their fingertips while they're still right there in the UK?

Answer: because in the case of many -- they don't want to ! They don't want to know ! They don't want to face or accept reality !

The Big Adventure ! I'd be rich if I had a cent for every time I've read that term in his and similar forums

When the more appropriate term should be -- ' Our huge investment in time, money, effort and energy '

Poms in the UK need to toss old Uncle Fred's 1950s move to Australia in with all the other non-relevant bits and pieces lying around in the attic. It's 2015 now. Times change. Poms in the UK need to get up to date with Australia. They need to face facts - face the truth

There's not all that much difference these days between moving to Australia and moving to a new location in the UK or Europe. And putting all their eggs in one basket and flying to Oz on the seat of their pants is not intelligent, unless all the ground-work has been done first. And groundwork does not ONLY consist of applying to the Oz government and arranging transport for possessions and pets. There's a lot more to it than simply hopping on a plane and telling themselves that when they alight they'll be in paradise and all their troubles left behind them. No. Wherever we go, we take ourselves along with our bits and pieces. We aren't suddenly endowed with desirable personality traits and skills just because we step off a plane in Australia

Sure, the Australian government entices migrants. But the Australian pubic is not the Australian government, so Poms shouldn't expect Aussies to welcome even more competition for jobs, housing, road-space, etc., any more than Poms in the UK welcome the endless stream of migrants into the UK. So that's another bit of reality that Poms coming to Oz need to take into account

It's a real world and if Australia were even half as 'great' as some would have you believe, there would not -- to begin with -- be so many posts in this and other forums about wanting to, or thinking about, a return to the UK

This is the 2015 version of Australia here. Not the 1940s, or 1950s, or 1960s, or 1970s, 80s, 90s, etc. version

Things have changed in Australia. It's touted every second week by the mass media as THE most expensive place in the world as far as cost of living, housing, travel, etc, is concerned. That has to be faced, along with the very dismal truth about unemployment in Australia and the poor prospects for kids once they leave school

So Poms in the UK need to stop fantasising and start dealing with the truth about Australia. Yes, dreams and fantasies are nice, but Australia isn't going to provide them any more than anywhere else. Of course it rains and gets cold in Australia ! And be realistic, you Poms still in the UK --- you'll need to earn your living in Australia and you will not, most of you, spend endless hours on sunny beaches. You in the UK get the best of Aussie produce and you buy it cheaper than we here in Australia. Aldi is growing like a weed in Oz, just like in the UK. Why do you think that is? Right -- it's because Aldi is cheaper ! Why would Aussies be driving the growth of Aldi? Right again -- because Aussies want and need cheaper food. Why do they need and want cheaper food? Yes, right again -- because Aussies can't afford the more expensive foods. Then take a look at how many Aussies are forced to rent. Why are they forced to rent? Good, you're working it out now -- it's because houses are SO expensive that Aussies cannot afford to buy them. They WANT to own their own homes and something to leave to their children, but they can't AFFORD to buy. And those houses which Aussies CAN afford to buy are nowhere near the chance of employment

So there you are. Australia is VERY expensive and beyond the reach of most Aussies -- many of whom have been driven to move overseas in search of a better and more affordable existence

And back to where I began -- Poms still in the UK need to update their 'version' of Oz. They need to face the facts and reality. Hopping on a plane to Oz is not a magic carpet ride, nor is it the much touted 'Big Adventure'. It's costly. Once they move it may prove irreversible due to finances and other factors. So stop dreaming, you Poms in the UK. Australia is basically an isolated version of the UK. It costs a lot to get into Australia and a hell of a lot more to get out again, as many have learned to their pain

• Like 1

Maybe it's time people in Britain updated their impressions of Australia ? Many seem to come here from the UK because they want to believe the grass is greener in Oz.

There's internet now. Every single aspect of Australia is accessible online, from the prices of houses, travel distances, schools, welfare-provisions, educational standards, the price of eggs and tea-bags, the weather generally and temperatures for every single part of this massive chunk of rock in the south-pacific. Migrating to Australia can no longer be likened to a voyage into the unknown. So why aren't Poms availing themselves of the million pieces of information at their fingertips while they're still right there in the UK?

Answer: because in the case of many -- they don't want to ! They don't want to know ! They don't want to face or accept reality !

The Big Adventure ! I'd be rich if I had a cent for every time I've read that term in his and similar forums

When the more appropriate term should be -- ' Our huge investment in time, money, effort and energy '

Poms in the UK need to toss old Uncle Fred's 1950s move to Australia in with all the other non-relevant bits and pieces lying around in the attic. It's 2015 now. Times change. Poms in the UK need to get up to date with Australia. They need to face facts - face the truth

There's not all that much difference these days between moving to Australia and moving to a new location in the UK or Europe. And putting all their eggs in one basket and flying to Oz on the seat of their pants is not intelligent, unless all the ground-work has been done first. And groundwork does not ONLY consist of applying to the Oz government and arranging transport for possessions and pets. There's a lot more to it than simply hopping on a plane and telling themselves that when they alight they'll be in paradise and all their troubles left behind them. No. Wherever we go, we take ourselves along with our bits and pieces. We aren't suddenly endowed with desirable personality traits and skills just because we step off a plane in Australia.

A lot of very good points in your post. Those you are aiming at, who do not research and seem to have little or no idea what they are doing when emigrating, will not take the time and trouble to read it though.

I have visited Oz and done my research and accept that it is still a bit of a leap of faith and, dare I say, a bit of an 'adventure' (another cent there for you). But then, some of us need a bit of spirit of adventure otherwise all you do all your whole life is play it safe. I have done that and, believe me, it is tedious.

Anyway I too put my head in my hands when I read posters who in some cases have never been to Oz, have done zero research because they haven't even decided where in Oz they might be going, whether they have skills in demand, make vague references to 'better life for their children', persuade a reluctant partner etc. As I said though individuals such as this will be unlikely to read your post let alone place any credence on it.

Still, if it wasn't for dreamers mankind would not have advanced much and it is all goes pear-shaped in most cases they will have lost some money from the 'adventure' (lost but not wasted though as life is about experiences when all is said and done, good or bad).

A lot of very good points in your post. Those you are aiming at, who do not research and seem to have little or no idea what they are doing when emigrating, will not take the time and trouble to read it though.

I have visited Oz and done my research and accept that it is still a bit of a leap of faith and, dare I say, a bit of an 'adventure' (another cent there for you). But then, some of us need a bit of spirit of adventure otherwise all you do all your whole life is play it safe. I have done that and, believe me, it is tedious.

Anyway I too put my head in my hands when I read posters who in some cases have never been to Oz, have done zero research because they haven't even decided where in Oz they might be going, whether they have skills in demand, make vague references to 'better life for their children', persuade a reluctant partner etc. As I said though individuals such as this will be unlikely to read your post let alone place any credence on it.

Still, if it wasn't for dreamers mankind would not have advanced much and it is all goes pear-shaped in most cases they will have lost some money from the 'adventure' (lost but not wasted though as life is about experiences when all is said and done, good or bad).

I had no idea until I joined this forum how many people come here unprepared :goofy: We have done it tough at times over the last 34 years but I've never thought of returning to the UK to live.

We never come ill prepared , I didn't expect paradise on a stick nowhere is , it is the timing for some industries , I never expected once emigrated to move then think of moving again , I want to settle not live in limbo , I get where beach bum is coming from on something's , people who live on the forums will see a positive spin on things because it was their timing . Staying positive doesn't pay the bills , I am positive it just may not come across that way , we had friends in wa lied through their back teeth when we was in UK about this paradise dream they were living . It's all for fb . :) if I wasn't staying positive I would have thrown the towel in now . And people cannot kid me anyway they say they living the dream on fb and message me saying if they'd have know it was going be like this they would not of come . It's just I say what I think of it and it's not bad but I still miss home . :) I don't believe no one doesn't well biggest part of people do

Cheers Marisawright. And in reply to the above I did not know there was a sub forum until recently, when I have had a few private messages advising me I might feel safer going there. (positive messages).

And the focus should be on the poster. They are asking for help! And if anyone deems the poster is not genuine, then why are you bothering to reply if you can't say anything nice!

The whole focus of this thread should be about helping beachbum. Beachbum, I hope you feel you can come back on and update us. All the best and I hope your feeling better.

id just like to say i think kiwiinaus is the most genuine person on here.

people are here for advice and iv had a flick through the posts on here since i posted last. some of you really need to give your heads a wobble. advice is easy to give and even easier to give whilst not being a complete douche bag.

i wasnt happy but im on the up, i read a post on here that stated 'do nothing' i COMPLETELY AGREE. and WALK, with an ipod in your ears, block the world, take in the scenery and think. this is exactly what i did in vancouver around stanley island in march. then lastly when your head is somewhat in a better place, TALK, family or close friends, a problem shared is a problem halved.

i hope you are grinding it out beach bum, dont throw the towel just yet, keep busy, and if you really need to set yourself a time frame, give yourself 3 months from today to make things better. you may have a diffferent view in 3 months.

keep us posted beach bum, and honestly feel free to pm me if you want to chat away from douche bags opinions.

^^ So a different opinion, or offering contrary advice to others' classifies someone as a douche bag?............... as well meaning as your post may be..... shot.......foot

The irony, you are one of the worst for accepting that anyone might have a view that is different from your own

And for those thinking or already planning to emigrate,what makes you think life in Australia won't become tedious too?People do the same thing,day in day out.I'm under no illusions here.If I return to Oz I already know what life is like,I spent 30 yrs there afterall.Life is what it is.Tedious sometimes,exciting other times.

And for those thinking or already planning to emigrate,what makes you think life in Australia won't become tedious too?People do the same thing,day in day out.I'm under no illusions here.If I return to Oz I already know what life is like,I spent 30 yrs there afterall.Life is what it is.Tedious sometimes,exciting other times.

Same shitte , different country tis true.