Biggest Mistake of my Life!

Beachbum

Sorry, but making up a cock and bull story does no service whatsoever to people who have suffered, or who are suffering workplace bullying anywhere in the world. I did experience a bullying culture at one place I worked in the UK and though I knew I could handle it the job was **** anyway so I left after 4 months.

Anyway the post itself doesn't warrant the serious consideration you are giving it.

No but neither does calling him names and insulting him when you have no idea what happened to him. You could have just left it alone but, no, you needed to insult.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest109139

And the funniest thing is that a thread in the moving back section of the forum is littered yet again with the so called 'Happy People' of Australia calling those who prefer the UK or any other country over Oz bullshitters etc.

Now thats what I call bullshit.

And the funniest thing is that a thread in the moving back section of the forum is littered yet again with the so called 'Happy People' of Australia calling those who prefer the UK or any other country over Oz bullshitters etc.

It is pretty hard to argue with that. You don't get quite as many trying to tell people they are mad to move back as we used to have which is a bonus. Heaven forbid you try and tell someone you are actually better off in the UK.

Oh dear :daydreaming:

It must be difficult settling in a new country if you have such a huge ego.

Really your new colleagues should have bowed down before you worshipping the ground you walked on. They really did not fully appreciate that they were in the presence of greatness. Now it is their loss (and Australia's) that they will somehow have to manage without you.

That's just plain nasty, to be honest.

We are just sharing experiences on a Moving Back to UK Forum.

If you are happy in Australia, I am curious as to why you comment on this forum and keep responding like a cracked record ...about why "some of us made it work and we really love it here. This is Moving Back to UK. People will say why they didn't like it and why they want to go home....or is that not allowed ??

I solved a problem which a child could have solved - simple logic, wasn't hard but 3 geniuses with egos the size of Texas could not solve it and could not handle the shame of being shown up over s simple problem.

For the record, I am neither an intellectual or a genius...never have been, never will be. Grew up in the country, still live in the country and still very much a bumpkin.

I don't think those of us who are happy here are bullshitters. I'm happy here for one. If I wasn't I would also move back to Scotland. No bullshit.

I don't think those of us who are happy here are bullshitters. I'm happy here for one. If I wasn't I would also move back to Scotland. No bullshit.

I don't think so either Jock, but I do agree with Voyager11 that there are posters whose lives in Australia are apparently peachy but who can't resist the urge to knock those who are hoping to return home to the UK. Fortunately, as Bristolman says, there's not as many of them on here nowadays as there once was, but there's a few. I've no idea what motivates them to do it. Maybe they think that we need to be shown the error of our ways or that we deserve slapping down for having the temerity to prefer the UK over Australia?

Edited by User70277

This just reminds us all of how different we are and that the experience of uprooting yourself from your homeland to move across the world is not easy. Those who do it and settle easily are lucky. I suspect there are more people who have, at some time, felt like Beachbum. I love Oz and know that it would not rank as one of the best places in the world to live if there wasn't something great about it. However, I too have had my moments of hating it and so has my OH. We have always had the attitude that nothing is for ever and when we have felt the need to return to the UK, we have done so (but always ended up back in Oz). Hence we have become the archetypal ping pong poms. We first emigrated 30 years ago and there is no doubt about it, that Oz has changed in that time. It is far more expensive, jobs are harder to get and yes.... it does rain. The trouble is, when you are unhappy there you don't have the same structures around you as in your homeland and it can feel desperate. There has been lots of good advice and sympathy from some of the posts here and that is what is great about this forum.I hope Beachbum can give it a bit more time and explore more of the country. We chose eventually to live on the Gold Coast and think it is wonderful. Whatever,she needs to share her feelings with her OH so that at least they are out in the open and they can plan together what to do about it. Good luck is what I say.

....... there are posters whose lives in Australia are apparently peachy but who can't resist the urge to knock those who are hoping to return home to the UK. ...............I've no idea what motivates them to do it. Maybe they think that we need to be shown the error of our ways or that we deserve slapping down for having the temerity to prefer the UK over Australia?

....... there are posters whose lives in Britain are apparently peachy but who can't resist the urge to knock those who are hoping to stay in Australia...............I've no idea what motivates them to do it. Maybe they think that we need to be shown the error of our ways or that we deserve slapping down for having the temerity to prefer Australia over the uk?

....... there are posters whose lives in Britain are apparently peachy but who can't resist the urge to knock those who are hoping to stay in Australia...............I've no idea what motivates them to do it. Maybe they think that we need to be shown the error of our ways or that we deserve slapping down for having the temerity to prefer Australia over the uk?

I am equally against those people as well, it is no business of those people what anyone does with their life.

Hmm, well they do say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Fair point though, we're talking about people's lives here, their hopes and dreams. Rubbishing someone's happy life and their sense of belonging here in Australia is just as sh*tty as rubbishing someone else's desire to go home or their reluctance to countenance returning here once they've left.

Hmm, well they do say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Fair point though, we're talking about people's lives here, their hopes and dreams. Rubbishing someone's happy life and their sense of belonging here in Australia is just as sh*tty as rubbishing someone else's desire to go home or their reluctance to countenance returning here once they've left.

And after all, this is a forum for people moving back to UK.

So we should give support and fly the flag to those wanting to return.

If we want to share what we didn't like about Australia, there should be no problem either, a great place for those to vent off a little or a lot of steam, not a big deal.

• 3 weeks later...
There is no better life in Australia. It's not better, it's not worse, it's just different. Some people will find that different lifestyle suits their personality and needs better, so they'll ultimately have a better life - some people will find it doesn't suit them, so they'll have a worse life. It's very individual.

Very well put Marisawright. You're right on the button!

I wish more people would recognise that it is a very individual thing.

I don't think so either Jock, but I do agree with Voyager11 that there are posters whose lives in Australia are apparently peachy but who can't resist the urge to knock those who are hoping to return home to the UK. Fortunately, as Bristolman says, there's not as many of them on here nowadays as there once was, but there's a few. I've no idea what motivates them to do it. Maybe they think that we need to be shown the error of our ways or that we deserve slapping down for having the temerity to prefer the UK over Australia?

I think its a case of "the truth hurts".

When you get a supposedly "settled, happy and loving it" pom lashing out angrily, then you have really touched a nerve or "hit a sore spot" with them.

Yet ask yourself why are they obsessively lurking around a forum for those who are moving back or have moved back sharing common feelings and past/present experiences. Its like they are on some sort of mission

Rest assured, they too think a lot about moving back home, and in many cases would really love to but cant for various reasons (Pride, Money Spouse etc) , so for some the only way to deal with it is to lash out in a rage, or play the cool dude and tell you how good it has been for them and why they are settled and happy but doing it on a "Moving Back to the UK" forum.

For the latter group, you are seen as easy meat to make them feel good, and this forum offers plenty of easy targets for them hence the reason they hang out here all the time.

Bottom line - if you don't like the place and if you have the resources to get out, then do it, sooner rather than later.

I think its a case of "the truth hurts".

When you get a supposedly "settled, happy and loving it" pom lashing out angrily, then you have really touched a nerve or "hit a sore spot" with them.

Yet ask yourself why are they obsessively lurking around a forum for those who are moving back or have moved back sharing common feelings and past/present experiences. Its like they are on some sort of mission

Rest assured, they too think a lot about moving back home, and in many cases would really love to but cant for various reasons (Pride, Money Spouse etc) , so for some the only way to deal with it is to lash out in a rage, or play the cool dude and tell you how good it has been for them and why they are settled and happy but doing it on a "Moving Back to the UK" forum.

For the latter group, you are seen as easy meat to make them feel good, and this forum offers plenty of easy targets for them hence the reason they hang out here all the time.

Bottom line - if you don't like the place and if you have the resources to get out, then do it, sooner rather than later.

fully agree with this. ive decided to head back to the UK from Sydney in September after ive fixed up my move and some bits with work after recently getting my citizenship. predictably my friendship groups are mainly poms (same sense of humour, footy etc) - and its a mix of anger (how dare you leave after ive invested so much time in you), jealousy (good luck in the rain, have you sorted a job out, you'll miss Sydney etc etc) and bewilderment in that they cannot fathom why someone would leave. it questions their own reasons for leaving as people are generally sheep and don't have their own opinions.

Sydney has been great and I would advise anyone to give it a go. But how people can class a city of such expense and isolation as 'the best in the world' completely baffles me.

Regardless, ever since my decision to leave, ive felt a surge of relief and excitement - as John says, I too was probably too proud to head home before I got my passport and placed beaches/sunshine over family and 'that' feeling of being at home, whatever you want to call it. oh, and its close to Europe which is really exciting as I definitely took that for granted when I was home.

You get the same thing on both sides of the coin. It's human nature and I've seen it in many different situations - marriages too!

You've heard the phrase "methinks thou doest protest too much". There are people on these forums who are clearly living in the wrong country (whether it's Australia or the UK) but they don't want to admit it even to themselves. For whatever reason, they're unable to leave, so they've learned to cope by simply refusing to think about the bits they don't like. When someone makes even a mild criticism of where they live, they lash out - because they don't want to hear it, lest it remind them how unhappy they really are.

Being on these forums even though they're "happily" settled back in the UK enables them to reinforce their protective illusion by posting about how wonderful life is in Britain, and how horrible Australia is (or vice versa).

There are people who have happily made the move in both directions and they are much more tolerant of criticism and much more even-handed in admitting the pros and cons of both countries.

Edited by Marisawright