Why move from the UK

paul1977

I can understand that you want to travel to Europe especially as you haven't lived in UK for a long time, but I assume not during the hot summer months as I seem to remember your husband has had a bad skin cancer scare.

But out of interest most of our friends are retired in UK and don't actually go to the continent on holiday much more than twic

Sorry internet is dropping out every few minutes, so never finished the post.

will wait till Telstra comes tomorrow to explain what I meant.

hope this one goes

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bath would be my choice over Bristol but then aim probably not the person to ask. We lived out in the sticks and commuted in everyday because all. The areas I like are in the sticks. Winterbourne, Wick. Iron Acton, Frampton Cottrell , Hinton, Doynton, Saltford all out in the sticks.

Really not out in the sticks though is it Que Sera, Sera! nothing is really too far away, especially when compared to here in Aus. An hours drive is nothing and you can get a fair distance, we used to think nothing of driving from Chippenham area down to Exmoor or across to the Wye valley for a Sunday walk, or to Bristol, Swindon for the shops or a show/night out, and there are heaps more places even closer. The wife has an auntie in Chippenham that travels all over the place on public transport bus's for free on her OAP bus pass. No real need for inner city living with so much else around, unless of course you do not have own transport or have a mobility problem.

A reminder that the title of this thread is Why move from the UK and several recent posts have had nothing to do with that. I'll leave them in here for now (because some cover this and other topics) but a new thread would be a better place to discuss where to live in the UK and rents for same.

Fair enough, i don't really have a reply to that haha.. Just that I will hopefully get paid more than I am in bristol! Stupid logic I know.

A comparison between Bristol and Sydney as places to live, find things to do, enjoy your surroundings would be a good reason why Sydney may be a bit more expensive. Sydney's got to be one of the most picturesque cities in the World with the Harbour, Opera house, Botanic Gardens, that's without mentioning the weather.:yes:

In fact, this is our main driver for going back to the UK and I often find myself wondering whether that's completely bonkers. However, we're retired now and considering how we want to keep ourselves occupied in retirement, the answer always comes back to European holidays. It makes far more sense to move to the UK so we can holiday cheaply and often, than stay in Oz and pay a fortune to fly to Europe every couple of years.

I've never been able to understand why people would want to go to Europe when they live in Aus. You can have everything you can get in Europe without leaving the country and not have a language barrier. I've heard lots of people go on about England being on the "doorstep of Europe" but when you live there and have bills to pay the reality is you might have the choice of a couple of weeks in the sun in Spain, Portugal, Greece or snow skiing holiday. Very few people can afford more than that and when we lived there we used to be planning and waiting for the next time we could get out of there to some guaranteed sun, which was usually for about 3 weeks a year tops.

Living here we realise we now live in a better place than we used to pay a fortune to get to and stay at. When we have time off work we love being at home and enjoying what's on our doorstep, not longing to jump on a plane to somewhere with decent weather and a beach.:cool:

In a similar situation, don't think your reasons are bonkers at all - Lots more to do on a lower income in UK than Oz and I'm looking forward to getting on a plane and being in another country in a couple of hours. Even if I had the $ I'm a bit over having to fly for so long to get anywhere...... I'm sure that you can have a brilliant retirement in Australia if you have sufficient money, with the boat, the pool and so many lovely places, but I can never see us being rich enough to survive here on a pension...

I find it exactly the opposite. All depends what you do I suppose. I'm not bothered about a boat, we don't have a pool. What we do have is the Ocean 5 minutes down the road with free parking when we get there, my surf ski and boards are down at the surf club, the beach is gorgeous, the weather is good enough year round for us to be able to use it. We have a 50m outdoor pool and a 50m indoor pool within 15 minutes drive of the house, costs about $5 for a swim, no sessions, lanes always available. As said before we don't spend months a year trying to save up for the next holiday as every weekend and each time we have off work we can have a better time just staying at home.

The salary both me and the wife earn in comparable jobs may be a little more here, it's been so long that we've worked in the UK so comparisons are really hard to make, money is not the be all and end all though and the lifestyle package we have here is far better. Just couldn't do the things we do here for free in the UK, they're just not available, even if we lived near the Coast.

I've never been able to understand why people would want to go to Europe when they live in Aus. You can have everything you can get in Europe without leaving the country and not have a language barrier.When we have time off work we love being at home and enjoying what's on our doorstep, not longing to jump on a plane to somewhere with decent weather and a beach.:cool:

That's assuming you're going to Europe for the beach. On my two recent holidays to Europe I never went near a beach or a ski field. I went to shows and historical sites, and had some lovely rambles - all of which are much more available in Europe and the UK than in Australia. You'd probably find my idea of leisure time supremely boring and I'd feel the same about yours, each to their own. If I was a beach bunny or a surfer then of course I wouldn't consider a move back.

Why move to Australia from UK? For me, I always fancied going and when I got offered a job in Brisbane, it was too much of an opportunity to turn down. I liked the chance to live in a warm climate, although I'm not so fussed about the heat after 8 years. Personally feel that everyone's life is enriched by trying another culture, and even if it isn't for everyone long term, it helps you appreciate the good points of the UK while expanding your horizons. If you can afford to come over for an adventure, I think why not - life is short and the amount of horror stories we hear on this forum about things all going wrong are very few in the scheme of things. I do worry about the people who plan to come here on a shoestring or because the UK is 'going to the dogs' and see Australia as some sort of utopia though...

I find it exactly the opposite. All depends what you do I suppose. .

Was talking principally about travelling here - In the UK I was close to a beach and as a family had at least 3 holidays a year on a reasonable but not flush income. I love the fact that you can get on an easy jet flight for peanuts for a European mini-break or treat yourself to a week in Greece all up for a few hundred quid. Lots of lovely places to get to from Brisbane, but even 12 days for three of us in New Zealand at Easter will set us back a couple of grand.

I think it is fair to say that the UK offers greater variety of attractions and climate within relatively short travel distances. But if you happen to love what Australia offers to most of the people who live there then it is bound to make you happier.

If hotter climate, more sunshine, greater access to coast/beach or a combination of these are at the top of your list of wants then Australia delivers in spades and UK will be found wanting. I am now in that category but then I am 54 and have only ever lived in the UK. If I was 34 would I feel the same? No, probably not, as I used to enjoy country walks most of the year and was less phased by the cold though have always suffered with S.A.D. The scenery, historical buildings in UK are hard to beat too. It is out of my system now though so on to a new phase.

I have to say though from personal experience that holidays out of the UK are more expensive than some people seem to imagine. Perhaps I like my creature comforts too much these days but cheap foreign holidays are not so easy to find and the cheapest do attract the worst type of Brits abroad (sorry if that makes me sound like a snob). And if you fancy a break from the cold, dark, damp November through March months you are mainly looking at flying long haul which is expensive as southern Europe is surprisingly cold, stormy and wet during those months and not worth a visit at that time of year.

The weather in the UK also means that whatever you intend to do at the weekend at any time of year if it is outdoor must have a back-up plan.

Probably biggest reasons are a warmer climate, outdoor life, expectation of a more enjoyable life, and something different I suppose. For some those reasons wear thin as the years go by and then they decide to go back the other way - for something different again!

I have to say though from personal experience that holidays out of the UK are more expensive than some people seem to imagine. Perhaps I like my creature comforts too much these days but cheap foreign holidays are not so easy to find and the cheapest do attract the worst type of Brits abroad (sorry if that makes me sound like a snob). And if you fancy a break from the cold, dark, damp November through March months you are mainly looking at flying long haul which is expensive as southern Europe is surprisingly cold, stormy and wet during those months and not worth a visit at that time of year.

This is true. Breaks in Europe aren't really cheap as chips. Before we had kids and had spare cash we could afford that kind of thing more. I think they were also cheaper back then (90s). Nothing is that cheap anywhere these days, I think since the last recession this is just the way it is.

There are plenty of short-ish city breaks you Do over the winter months though. Paris, Amsterdam, Lisbon, Barca. All lovely and a bit quieter in those months. Great city breaks, culture, food etc

Or you can go to southern Spain, eat English breakfasts and drink beer with the pensioners and the Brit-abroad gangsters who frequent these places! Not really my cup of tea, but a we went once and actually had quite a nice time tbh. It's comparatively warm even in February

Edited by Captain Roberto

We are going out to try it for between 2 to 4 years. If, at the end of this period, we are all really are very sure we love it, we might then stay longer - but current plan is for 2 or 4 years.

When we arrive we will be a family of 5. Two professional parents (44 YO graphic designer, and a 40 YO Community Nurse manager), 3 kids, aged 12, 9 and (nearly) 6 upon arrival and our 4 YO old dog.

The reasons:

• 1 - We were already looking at moving in the UK, as I already commute quite a bit for work - so an amount of uprooting was probably going to happen anyway (kids moving schools, new area)

• 2 - We like Australia. I have been 4 times and did work experience there when I retrained. My wife and I also did a 3 month backpacking trip around the millennium. We always talked about "in Australia we did x,y and z"...

• 3 - We have lived in the same town all our lives (I am now 43) - and have never lived in a city, and wanted to try it.

• 4 - We generally prefer summer in the UK, are generally happiest outdoors, doing stuff. We hoped to do more of this, and less being indoors throughout the year.

• 5 - We were keen on this for a few years, and as my wife got towards the end of her 30s, the opportunity to get points for a PR visa would lessen considerably, so this is why it's going to be in 2015. It had to be!

• 6 - We wanted a big 'family adventure' with our 3 kids, while they all still lived at home. Something we all did together that they could look back on.

• 7 - To open our minds to more possibilities.

• 8 - If we are honest, also to be nearer to the the beach! Where we are now it's a good hour to the nearest beaches (unclean) and 2 hours to the nearest nice ones. The water is always cold here in Wales.

• 9 - Because you only live once. When our old dog died, I felt this with full force and emotion. Get living... This is not a rehearsal (insert cliches here...)

• 10 Because a city like City like Sydney has a lot more potential for my career/work opportunities than where we live here in the UK. In the UK only London has greater possibilities, and we didn't want to go there... it's even more expensive than Sydney, but the work/life balance is entirely skewed towards work, and it isn't good for kids to live in (unless you have lots of spare cash...) - long commutes. Tube hell. London tubes are hellish, I have done this and it's not good.

There are more reasons, but it would be too boring to list them.

Since joining PIO I have read many of the posts, both positive and negative, so I feel like I have some awareness os the potential risks, pros and cons of migrating. I honestly expect things to be pretty tough going for at least 6 months. So many of these 'it all went wrong' stories have given me the wobbles, I have put it in context and we are off anyway. There are a million variables and everyone is different with their own particular set of circumstances.

Hopefully it will be great. It makes sense to practice optimism!

But if it isn't, we aren't selling up here, and we plan to save up for a kitty-fund for return flights as soon as we get there. If it goes pear-shaped, we can leave. We also don't think UK is bad. We love it. It's home, and it's where all our family and most of our friends are. Deciding to do this wasn't and isn't an easy decision for us. My wife and kids are especially close to her parents. So, it's a hard choice, and the cause of some anxiety.

In the end we just decided 'Screw it, let's do it'. If it all goes wrong we have have spent a chunk of money, and had this experience.

Just about sums it up....I really think people 'think' too much about so many things...in the grand scheme...it's only money. Can't take it with you!

[/b][/color]

Just about sums it up....I really think people 'think' too much about so many things...in the grand scheme...it's only money. Can't take it with you!

That's true, but it's also true that these days, you can't assume there will be a government pension when you retire. A failed migration, with a family, can easily cost you $80,000 - some would say a lot more. That's a huge bite out of most people's savings - I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I could afford to risk that amount of money on anything!

That's true, but it's also true that these days, you can't assume there will be a government pension when you retire. A failed migration, with a family, can easily cost you $80,000 - some would say a lot more. That's a huge bite out of most people's savings - I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I could afford to risk that amount of money on anything!

Its personal isn't it. We had nothing to lose so colours my judgement.

I find it exactly the opposite. All depends what you do I suppose. I'm not bothered about a boat, we don't have a pool. What we do have is the Ocean 5 minutes down the road with free parking when we get there, my surf ski and boards are down at the surf club, the beach is gorgeous, the weather is good enough year round for us to be able to use it. We have a 50m outdoor pool and a 50m indoor pool within 15 minutes drive of the house, costs about $5 for a swim, no sessions, lanes always available. As said before we don't spend months a year trying to save up for the next holiday as every weekend and each time we have off work we can have a better time just staying at home.

The salary both me and the wife earn in comparable jobs may be a little more here, it's been so long that we've worked in the UK so comparisons are really hard to make, money is not the be all and end all though and the lifestyle package we have here is far better. Just couldn't do the things we do here for free in the UK, they're just not available, even if we lived near the Coast.

yeh, so IT IS the best country in the world .....only if you like the beach and hot weather. :wink:

The heat can be exhausting, but for a lot of us its still a lot better than freezing cold.

Perth this summer so far is a lot cooler than normal, average about 30 which is just pleasant. I've not needed aircon on yet at home.

And summer is only 3/4 months, a cold spell at nights during July, aug, September. The rest of the year like a UK summer, some hot days, some rainy days.

So as shallow as it sounds, the weather, the beaches, the facilities, the cleanliness all make it a better place to live than the UK .....for some of us.

Others think they want to come but are never going to make it, can spot it a mile off.

they don't do any research, they think a job should fall into their lap, they miss their friends but don't put the effort into making new ones, also if coming with their partner/family seem to forget that they actually have their best friend by their side to experience new things together with.

They compare...all the bloody time. Can't find a decent Indian/Chinese/Sunday roast.

Ok will stop there before I get into trouble.

Down here at Bronte room, 4000?km east of Perth it is getting dark. Been cool by last week's standards, but still very pleasant with no wind, and the ticadas almost drowning the sound of the waves. The only blemish is the seat is wet and I'm sitting on my deck shoes. I had lovely swim too. I loved going to beach in England but I only swam from June to Sept. Here it is all year!