Why move from the UK

paul1977

Down here at Bronte room, 4000?km east of Perth it is getting dark. Been cool by last week's standards, but still very pleasant with no wind, and the ticadas almost drowning the sound of the waves. The only blemish is the seat is wet and I'm sitting on my deck shoes. I had lovely swim too. I loved going to beach in England but I only swam from June to Sept. Here it is all year!

I used to Home Help for a woman in her eighties who still swam every single day. She and some of her friends walked to the beach and off they swam. How lovely is that?

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't know Perth had good facilities, I think the UK had great facilities but depends where I guess.

The heat in Australia is more restricting than the cold in the Uk, those restricting 3 months summer are like the 3 months winter back home but at least you can spend all day doing an outdoor activity with a warm coat on !

Australia definitely has a more relaxed feel...thats probably due to the Mediterranean style weather, outdoor cafés etc it's nice and generally no crowds.

But unless the miserable, cold weather is a big issue for you in England you could find yourself equally uncomfortable in Oz.

I've been dog walking for a living/hobby for 18 months now out in all weathers, on only one day have I had to cancel , last week. Nothing restrictive at all. If the heat is a problem then you do things earlier or later. I do wonder why people emigrate to Australia then bang on about it being too hot. People clearly do not research enough. It's very easy to look up the data. Personally my ideal living temperature is 30, to me that perfect.

Didn't know Perth had good facilities, I think the UK had great facilities but depends where I guess.

The heat in Australia is more restricting than the cold in the Uk, those restricting 3 months summer are like the 3 months winter back home but at least you can spend all day doing an outdoor activity with a warm coat on !

Australia definitely has a more relaxed feel...thats probably due to the Mediterranean style weather, outdoor cafés etc it's nice and generally no crowds.

But unless the miserable, cold weather is a big issue for you in England you could find yourself equally uncomfortable in Oz.

Totally disagree with this. Summer now..been out in mid day heat today. 32 when we went out..average. Sat and walked in shade at Whiteman Park. Perfect temp. Very nice indeed. Nowhere near too hot. In UK felt too freezing even with thermals out outdoors when walking. Ok after a while but still not as enjoyable as here...to me that is. Edited by HappyHeart

I've been dog walking for a living/hobby for 18 months now out in all weathers, on only one day have I had to cancel , last week. Nothing restrictive at all. If the heat is a problem then you do things earlier or later. I do wonder why people emigrate to Australia then bang on about it being too hot. People clearly do not research enough. It's very easy to look up the data. Personally my ideal living temperature is 30, to me that perfect.

Exactly. Pretty great climate really. I don't think I could really ask for more in all honesty. Apart from no 44d days and no rain by day in winter;)

Some people beat the heat by getting up early for a swim, walk, whatever. Try to stay in the shade during the day then repeat the process in the eve. I don't like getting up early but I avoid the heat of the day then go to the beach for 2. 3, 4 hours in the eves.

I adjusted to life back in the UK for 12 years and did all the same activities in winter apart from swimming, BUT however u put the spin on it, it is still nicer to have warm weather for much of the year!

PS I have to say that even if the climate was WORSE than UK, I'd still prefer it here, for no other reason than I "live" here. I did not come for the weather anyway. I could have gone to Spain if that was all I wanted.I came for the adventure, or for something different. I can't remember now.

In any case, the "odds" are in the favor of anybody thinking of migrating to Australia. However you want to interpret the statistics, the majority of people who migrate here, stay here. End of!

Also...the cheapness of Europe on your doorstep.

Sorry but cheap flights are long gone, unless you want to travel with no luggage, arrive at some obscure airport in the middle of nowhere, be at the mercy of the customer service of easy jet, Ryanair etc.

anyone that has to travel during school holidays, or wants a weekend away will pay top dollar.

and as has been pointed out, if you want to travel for sun during Oct -march it would have to be long haul anyway!!

Maybe the UK was best for retirement due to having the NHS .....but from someone like me who adored working for the NHS for many a year and seen whats happened to it in the last few years, stealth privatisation, no beds, incompetent managers etc.

no thanks, I will take my chances elsewhere.

PS I have to say that even if the climate was WORSE than UK, I'd still prefer it here, for no other reason than I "live" here. I did not come for the weather anyway. I could have gone to Spain if that was all I wanted.I came for the adventure, or for something different. I can't remember now.

In any case, the "odds" are in the favor of anybody thinking of migrating to Australia. However you want to interpret the statistics, the majority of people who migrate here, stay here. End of!

You are right MR...I've not met one person yet who wants to return permantly, just like on here 457s are quoted as doomed. In the real world, not met anybody yet who has a drama going from 457 to pr, and I know people that no way could they stay according to the rules. But its come good for everyone, not saying it doesn't happen, but I could give lots of situations including my own, the rules don't equal real life. Most people get there.

I know W.A pretty well having sent a fair bit of time there over the years, although only as a visitor. As a holiday destination it is wonderful for us, we get to spend time with family, to explore the amazing area and to enjoy a whole load of things that we don’t normally get to do. And it is fair to say that most of the people we know and meet there are happily settled. But we have never seen Australia as an opportunity to improve our life. We are happy in the UK, the weather is not a deal breaker, and life is full and busy because we made a conscious decision to move and find a location that enabled us to create the sort of lifestyle we wanted. A bit like anyone who emigrates I guess, only in our case it was a few hundred miles rather than several thousand.

It may well be that the majority of people posting on an Australian immigration site will prefer the climate and lifestyle Down Under. But it is a preference thing and not an absolute certainty. If we hadn’t relocated there is every chance I would be thinking “there must be more than this”. We discovered that there is for us, as well as all those happily settled in Aus, however what ‘it ‘ is maybe depends on what you are leaving, what you find, and what you need. Tx

For the last 2 years we've lived in a coastal town....live a few minutes walk from the beach. It's a beautiful wide sandy beach, wonderful countryside around it. How many times have we been in the water? Probably dipped our feet in twice in 2 yrs. Certainly never swam! Far too cold! And this year was supposed to be a hot summer! And if you had to drive, you would struggle to park. I have grown up with nuisances like this but for my Aussie husband it's unacceptable to not be able to park at a local beach and have to go home ( which has happened here in peak times!). These aren't the only reasons to leave of course!

For the last 2 years we've lived in a coastal town....live a few minutes walk from the beach. It's a beautiful wide sandy beach, wonderful countryside around it. How many times have we been in the water? Probably dipped our feet in twice in 2 yrs. Certainly never swam! Far too cold! And this year was supposed to be a hot summer! And if you had to drive, you would struggle to park. I have grown up with nuisances like this but for my Aussie husband it's unacceptable to not be able to park at a local beach and have to go home ( which has happened here in peak times!). These aren't the only reasons to leave of course!

He obviously doesn't come from Sydney, where that's a common occurrence!

I think many people enjoy hot weather on a holiday when they're just lazing around, and don't realise how they'll feel when they have to clean the car, mow the lawn or lug the shopping home in it. No amount of research is going to tell you how YOU feel, because different people react differently - and it can even change for a person at different times of their lives.

I live 18 meters from the Indian Ocean in Perth - I can hear the waves laying in bed. I have been in the water maybe twice this year. That is one more than last year.

And if you are moving to Tassie, the water temp is about the same as northern Scotland - it is wet suit water at best.

And if you are moving to Tassie, the water temp is about the same as northern Scotland - it is wet suit water at best.

Tassie's average water temp is about 4 deg. warmer than northern Scotland throughout the year. Never see swimmers in wet suits, even those hardy souls who swim year round...but surfers use them in winter.

Tassie's average water temp is about 4 deg. warmer than northern Scotland throughout the year. Never see swimmers in wet suits, even those hardy souls who swim year round...but surfers use them in winter.

Not exactly the Caribbean though still. That is prob aout the same then as most English beach water

I wouldn't want my parents doing that. Spend it while you can. That's what I tell my Nana. Sod the inheritance. You earned it you blooming well spend it and have a damn good time

From recent experience when my Dad died I would say get the parents to spend it or "gift" it to rellies. My Mum is 90, my Dad was her carer and for some reason my Mum was registered as my Dads carer. My Dad was 93 and they just about managed when they were both in the bungalow they lived in, with a lot of help from carers and my Sister and Nieces popping in every day, to get them out of bed, make sure they had meals etc.

We got my Mum into a really nice retirement home but no matter how well the will is written it looks like the money my parents saved up and the house sale money will go to keeping her in the nursing home. I think the local council pays when the figure is down to something like 18,000 pounds.

If my parents had rented all their lives, gone on expensive cruises and holidays and lived from week to week with an overdrawn credit account, the cost would have been picked up from day one. Instead my parents were of the old school when they used to save up for things before they would dream of having anything. I remember my Mum wanting some Stag furniture for a long time. They saved up, bought table, chairs, display unit. Must be good stuff because they've had it years and it's still going strong. Now can't give it away, no-one wants it.

From recent experience when my Dad died I would say get the parents to spend it or "gift" it to rellies. My Mum is 90, my Dad was her carer and for some reason my Mum was registered as my Dads carer. My Dad was 93 and they just about managed when they were both in the bungalow they lived in, with a lot of help from carers and my Sister and Nieces popping in every day, to get them out of bed, make sure they had meals etc.

We got my Mum into a really nice retirement home but no matter how well the will is written it looks like the money my parents saved up and the house sale money will go to keeping her in the nursing home. I think the local council pays when the figure is down to something like 18,000 pounds.

If my parents had rented all their lives, gone on expensive cruises and holidays and lived from week to week with an overdrawn credit account, the cost would have been picked up from day one. Instead my parents were of the old school when they used to save up for things before they would dream of having anything. I remember my Mum wanting some Stag furniture for a long time. They saved up, bought table, chairs, display unit. Must be good stuff because they've had it years and it's still going strong. Now can't give it away, no-one wants it.

Yes, that is much the same as it was for my Dad's nursing home fees. 640 pounds a week, of which he had to fund at least 500 pounds. If he had lived long enough, they would have taken all his assets to pay for it. Six years' active service during WW2, and probably never a day on the dole.

What is all this stuff about 'water temperatures' and 'parking' on some of the other posts? It is always hard to park at a beach if you live in an urban area. It was the same at the two beaches I loved in Hants, Lepe and Calshot, and the same at most beaches in Sydney, especially the likes of Manly, Cronulla and Bondi. It is always free at Clovelly, though, and at Bronte, if you park up the hill from the beach, it is free there.

I never used to swim all year round in Sydney, but I started doing it a couple of years ago. I don't go in for very long in the winter, but it's not bad, and if the sun is out and no wind, it is very pleasant out of the water.

What you fail to understand is that their care has to be paid for by someone. If not from the 'profit' gained by the accretion over the years on their home and their savings then it has to be paid for by other hard working families through general taxation. By all means advocate that approach but please then don't complain if you are asked to pay a great deal more in tax to pay for the care of all the elderly who do not have the means to fund that care.

What you fail to understand is that their care has to be paid for by someone. If not from the 'profit' gained by the accretion over the years on their home and their savings then it has to be paid for by other hard working families through general taxation. By all means advocate that approach but please then don't complain if you are asked to pay a great deal more in tax to pay for the care of all the elderly who do not have the means to fund that care.

I didn't fail to understand that at all. Just thought it a shame that, like Maryroses Dad, my parents always tried to do the right thing, never got things on credit, lived within their means, saved up and paid for things, both of them worked and paid National Insurance all their working life, paid for their house over years of scrimping and saving. Probably thought that we would get a bit of inheritance, seeing as the house was paid for.

Me and my Sister didn't hang on for my Dad to die thinking we would get anything, we would much rather it get spent on keeping my Mum in a nice place till she dies. If there's anything left then we'll just split it between us. I've seen too many people fall out with relatives when parents die, including my Dad who didn't speak to his Sister for years as he felt he was hard done by when his Mum died. His Sister had taken care of her for the last few years and my Dad lived too far away to get to see her very much.

Bit like me and my Sis. If she ends up with the majority of the money then so be it, she's been the one going round every Day and making sure they are allright while I've been enjoying myself over in Aus, with one phone call every couple of weeks. Strange that when I phoned my Dad was always complaining saying things like I've not seen your Sister for 2 days. Felt like saying she has a life too and works full time. Maybe he complained about me to my Sister? More than likely I'd say but luckily we are both fairly laid back and refuse to fall out with each other over money.

Best policy is don't expect anything and then if you get something it's a bonus. Me and the wife have never expected any help from anyone, then we don't get disappointed.:cool:

Fair enough Paul. It is just a common refrain I hear all the time over here saying the state should pay for elderly care and the inheritance of descendants should be left alone.

I am of the mindset of your parents and save for what I want and if that money ultimately has to pay for my own care in later life then better that, in my opinion, than expect others to cough up.

I fully expect that one day at least one of my parents will need care and so do not expect to inherit anything. As it happens we nursed my MIL at home for 2 years while she gradually faded away under the effects of multiple myloma. She was over 80 but there was no question of placing her in a nursing home (knowing the type of person that she was). No doubt this boosted the inheritance of my OH and her siblings but this was merely a consequence. Beneficiaries of an estate could look after their elderly relatives of course (and thereby preserve their inheritance) but it seems people want their cake and eat it.

I suppose the Govt could impose a "nursing care" tax? It seems fairer than saying 'if you spend all yr money, the Govt will pay for your nursing home care, but if you save yr money. The Govt will take it back from you to pay for your care!"

I know I'm not being entirely rational, but my Dad was never rich.apart from a mortgage, he never lived on credit, likewise my Mum. Likewise me come to think of it. Tho I do use my credit card injudicisiously. (Sp?)That word does not look right?!

What is "fair" I wonder? I have friend who is on benefits with just about everything seemingly free or subsidised. I think he could work and it would be good for him but he refuses to do any work that is"beneath" him. Why don't we all adopt that attitude?!