Why move from the UK

paul1977

Guest Guest66881

Just better smelling air here in Australia, can't smell car fumes and factory bile anywhere like you do in most cities in the uk.

Did i mention the glorious beaches...i did didn't i:laugh:

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 'unhappy' people are more likely to not be 'happy' here....if that makes sense...

Yes it does..........I've been happy for 19 yrs and OK with Oz...............unhappy for the last few moths and somehow finding that Oz is wearing a bit thin.............I guess if you're unhappy about your life in general, then subconsciously you look to blame it on your environment if you're a migrant

Be interested to hear from people who are about to leave the UK

what are your reasons for leaving...? How do you think Australia will solve/improve things and why couldn't you do these changes back in the UK..?

I have read a few of these posts and agree with a lot of the pro Australia stuff .....but then the life experience my kids have had here in the UK would struggle to be matched.....my eldest came in last night....she may not have the beach ,but she does have cheap travel.....she booked a flight yesterday for pennies and she has gone to Amsterdam for the weekend.....that's available any weekend.....and we have a world class city 2 hours away....

I'm here because I feel I ought to be. Partner is Australian, and we have a daughter who was born in England and who loves it here. For me, living here is a sacrifice I make for the people I love, in much the same way as my parents both worked two jobs to ensure that me and my siblings could go to university. It's what you do, from generation to generation.

I totally get the notion that the move can make 'unhappy' people even more unhappy. Sorry to be a downer, but I reckon that I had depressive outlook on life back when we lived in the UK. Moving to Australia just magnified the symptoms x 10. Homesickness, alienation, isolation and boredom conspired to bring on full-blown Depression. I still suffer with it, and my family still suffer me, but this is tempered for them by living in their country, and for me by assisting them to do so. :smile:

I have read a few of these posts and agree with a lot of the pro Australia stuff .....but then the life experience my kids have had here in the UK would struggle to be matched.....my eldest came in last night....she may not have the beach ,but she does have cheap travel.....she booked a flight yesterday for pennies and she has gone to Amsterdam for the weekend.....that's available any weekend.....and we have a world class city 2 hours away....

What do you consider pennies though. My ex husband recently spent 4 months working in Paris. During that time he had to make many trips to Manchester and London, a couple at short notice. The cheapest flight he could get was 170 GBP and the most expensive was 350 GBP. I don't consider that pennies for a 55 minute flight.

By the same token, My grand daughter that works at Australia Zoo has just flown down to Port Philip Bay and "swam with Great Whites" ...............OK, she was in a cage, and it cost her a damn sight more than a visit to Paris would from the UK, but it's what "floats her boat" so it's all subjective eh?

10401985_10205835333550418_8694414430082922705_n.jpg?oh=4742ae14436e8c0659814b85ef2c6320&oe=5553A884&__gda__=1431296721_2ec0a011f4352a78b23ce8b4da54709e

I'm here because I feel I ought to be. Partner is Australian, and we have a daughter who was born in England and who loves it here. For me, living here is a sacrifice I make for the people I love, in much the same way as my parents both worked two jobs to ensure that me and my siblings could go to university. It's what you do, from generation to generation.

I totally get the notion that the move can make 'unhappy' people even more unhappy. Sorry to be a downer, but I reckon that I had depressive outlook on life back when we lived in the UK. Moving to Australia just magnified the symptoms x 10. Homesickness, alienation, isolation and boredom conspired to bring on full-blown Depression. I still suffer with it, and my family still suffer me, but this is tempered for them by living in their country, and for me by assisting them to do so. :smile:

Thanks for your honesty

So..............and I'm not being vindictive or judgemental here, merely looking at therapeutics. your posts have often shown a "downer on Oz" which.t appears, you are now blaming on your "outlook" (depression) as opposed to your abilty to judge from a "stable platform"..................Is that so?

I'm only asking because I've always been ok with living in Oz, but my "stable platform" (although differing from yours) has been whipped out from under me and in some respects, I am more (negatively) inclined towards Oz

What do you consider pennies though. My ex husband recently spent 4 months working in Paris. During that time he had to make many trips to Manchester and London, a couple at short notice. The cheapest flight he could get was 170 GBP and the most expensive was 350 GBP. I don't consider that pennies for a 55 minute flight.

About 40 quid I think

By the same token, My grand daughter that works at Australia Zoo has just flown down to Port Philip Bay and "swam with Great Whites" ...............OK, she was in a cage, and it cost her a damn sight more than a visit to Paris would from the UK, but it's what "floats her boat" so it's all subjective eh?

10401985_10205835333550418_8694414430082922705_n.jpg?oh=4742ae14436e8c0659814b85ef2c6320&oe=5553A884&__gda__=1431296721_2ec0a011f4352a78b23ce8b4da54709e

I knows friend is currently in oz , just done the same thing..... Its about choice ,and the choice here is infinite.....n

Barcelona....berlin ....milan.....need I go on

Thanks for your honesty

So..............and I'm not being vindictive or judgemental here, merely looking at therapeutics. your posts have often shown a "downer on Oz" which.t appears, you are now blaming on your "outlook" (depression) as opposed to your abilty to judge from a "stable platform"..................Is that so?

I'm only asking because I've always been ok with living in Oz, but my "stable platform" (although differing from yours) has been whipped out from under me and in some respects, I am more (negatively) inclined towards Oz

I'm possibly guilty of being unfair to the place. In truth, that's probably because on PIO I can vent my spleen at the place pretty much harmlessly, rather than trouble my family with sourness and negativity about a place that they love.

What compounded that early on in my relationship with the place were the reactions of my partner's family and friends towards my hesitation around living here. I was decried as being some kind of weird crank who couldn't see what was good for him in preferring the UK to Australia. That went hand in hand with a whole lot of anti-British sentiment as well as some lazy boastfulness about how superior Australia was. As a truculent Brit who refuses to be told what's good for him, it meant that I was always going to be lying in wait for opportunities to mock Australian self-delusion and arrogance whenever I encountered it.

It's sad, because under different circumstances my relationship with the place could have been so much better. It's a fine country in so many ways, and my own certainly isn't perfect, but I fear that that's just the way it is.

Edited by User70277

It all sounds rather weird to me. What do you like about the UK? It's close to Europe. But what do you like about the UK itself? It's like asking "what do you like about yr girlfriend?' 'She has a nice house,' ' But what do you line about her?'

Australian arrogance and self-delusion? A couple of years ago I remember an Aussie reminded me how many Ashes series they won in a row, but that is rare. I don't even distinguish between Aussies and Poms it any other race.

Australia is a long way from Europe? So what? It is close to all the South Pacific islands and New Zealand and much closer to Asia than the UK is. So what? You live in Australia because u like Australia. Everything else is a bonus. Same for the UK.

Come to Oz with an open mind and you can have a great life. Come with a closed mind....Well best not to come at all.

It all sounds rather weird to me. What do you like about the UK? It's close to Europe. But what do you like about the UK itself? It's like asking "what do you like about yr girlfriend?' 'She has a nice house,' ' But what do you line about her?'

Australian arrogance and self-delusion? A couple of years ago I remember an Aussie reminded me how many Ashes series they won in a row, but that is rare. I don't even distinguish between Aussies and Poms it any other race.

Australia is a long way from Europe? So what? It is close to all the South Pacific islands and New Zealand and much closer to Asia than the UK is. So what? You live in Australia because u like Australia. Everything else is a bonus. Same for the UK.

Come to Oz with an open mind and you can have a great life. Come with a closed mind....Well best not to come at all.

Some people just prefer the uk,what's so hard to understand about that? you prefer aus(i assume),there's nothing wrong with that either,i will NEVER understand why people on here cant understand others preferring another place to where THEY prefer!

I mean its just ......ng bizarre if yer think about it,if YOU like where you are,great!,so enjoy it,why try and convince others they're wrong about where THEY prefer,why would you care ffs:twitcy:

This is an in general rant,not solely directed at you btw

I think thats too 'simplistic' while I agree with the basic points...you don't have to be 'unhappy' with your life in UK to appreciate Australia. Neither do you have to have 'no friends and family' in UK to be content to stay here. I do think a lot depends on your partnership/marriage etc...it helps immensely if you're both on the same page in terms of likes/dislikes/wants and needs...a strong partnership can weather the storm and 'make up for' loss of easy contact with family/friends....it just depends on what your priorities are and what you are searching for.

I think 'unhappy' people are more likely to not be 'happy' here....if that makes sense...

No, I didn't mean you had to be unhappy in the UK to appreciate Aus. As I said I think positive folk would settle in either country more often than not. Miseries will be miserable wherever they are. But if if there was something specific that made your life worse in UK and moving to AUS would change it then they are likely to be happier in Aus.

Edited by Bound4Tassie

I doubt very much if I would have been interested in coming to Australia but I married an Australian and even though I was homesick for a while I settled here happily. This was over 30 years ago so it's my home now. Mind you, I could just as happily go back to live in Scotland for 9 months of the year. I don't think I could put up with the winters anymore though. I've got soft over the years :laugh:

No, I didn't mean you had to be unhappy in the UK to appreciate Aus. As I said I think positive folk would settle in either country more often than not. Miseries will be miserable wherever they are. But if if there was something specific that made your life worse in UK and moving to AUS would change it then they are likely to be happier in Aus.

Superb,thank you!

I live 18 meters from the Indian Ocean in Perth - I can hear the waves laying in bed. I have been in the water maybe twice this year. That is one more than last year.

And if you are moving to Tassie, the water temp is about the same as northern Scotland - it is wet suit water at best.

We lived in Mullaloo (Perth) wonderful beach there, then we moved to Sydney and spent any free time in the summer at Balmoral and Manly beaches also lovely. Now we live in Tasmania next to the sea. For the last few weeks children have been swimming and playing on the beach every day. The weather is lovely and of course the sea isn't as warm as mainland beaches but that doesn't stop us from going for a swim WITHOUT a wet suit. The best thing is the lack of crowds.

We lived in Mullaloo (Perth) wonderful beach there, then we moved to Sydney and spent any free time in the summer at Balmoral and Manly beaches also lovely. Now we live in Tasmania next to the sea. For the last few weeks children have been swimming and playing on the beach every day. The weather is lovely and of course the sea isn't as warm as mainland beaches but that doesn't stop us from going for a swim WITHOUT a wet suit. The best thing is the lack of crowds.

Spoken by someone with experience

I sometimes think about Tasmania for retirement purposes, but life in the Adelaide Hills is pretty good too. As for the original question, you move to somewhere as much as you move away from somewhere else. We talk about returning sometimes to be with family but when I look at the papers or watch the news - just "tune in" to the UK in any way it just looks so depressing plus less and less familiar every time.

Just to qualify my reference to Australian arrogance and self-delusion in my second post, I'm not suggesting that all Australians are guilty of this. That would be really unfair and inaccurate. In my case, my reluctance to move out here was seen by my OH's family and friends as a snub to their country, which it wasn't. That prompted a fair amount of snide digs aimed at me and at my country along with a lot of grandstanding about Australia's 'superiority' over the UK. No one likes to feel that they're being brow-beaten and my response to this was to pick holes in the place, to burst a few bubbles as it were. That's not a constructive response I know, but when you feel like you're under attack you lash out.

Just to qualify my reference to Australian arrogance and self-delusion in my second post, I'm not suggesting that all Australians are guilty of this. That would be really unfair and inaccurate. In my case, my reluctance to move out here was seen by my OH's family and friends as a snub to their country, which it wasn't. That prompted a fair amount of snide digs aimed at me and at my country along with a lot of grandstanding about Australia's 'superiority' over the UK. No one likes to feel that they're being brow-beaten and my response to this was to pick holes in the place, to burst a few bubbles as it were. That's not a constructive response I know, but when you feel like you're under attack you lash out.

Sometimes the best form of defence is attack mate. My wife was asked probably the same questions as you when we started telling people we were leaving Aus. Even I got sick of it in the end.