Why move from the UK

paul1977

I can see his point of view on something's ...milk is milk I agree with that , bleach on the other hand is 5:50 for domestos a quid in wilko or tesco and I like domestos lol ... Beer is extortionate here in comparrison to UK , Heinz ketchup 5:10 I paid other day in woollies here for a litre bottle 1:50 in UK , depends what you like I know I will be ramming my trolley next week salad here is mental and pasta is :) swings and roundabouts baby's teats for his bottles cheaper here than UK lol just a example :)

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sainsbury's organic bananas 800 grams for 96 pence or one pound 20pence per kilo. We GROW them here in Australia and our supermarket has had them at $3.99 per kilo for months AND they're invariably green every time I shop. What's going on ?

What's going on is that Australian banana producers and farm workers are being paid a living wage in a first world country.

UK bananas are produced by plantation workers who are being paid about one third of what they need to live on.

But hey...let's not worry about the slave labour conditions of other races in far away countries. As long as we can buy our bananas dirt cheap in the UK...who gives a toss about anyone else? :rolleyes:

I'm very nostalgic for ASDA, partly because my late parents loved shopping there, and I liked the 'George' range of clothing, but I don't spend my time dreaming of shopping there again. Perhaps, it's just another 'symptom' of homesickness. I imagine there are homesick Aussies living in the UK who feel the same way about Coles!?

I was the same and loved the supermarkets on my first trip back...second time around I realised I was remembering things with my rose tints on. Prices seemed far more expensive (probably exchange rate) I will give UK the breakfast cereal prize though. Cereal aisle is not great here if you want high fibre healthy offerings without added sugar.

I can see his point of view on something's ...milk is milk I agree with that , bleach on the other hand is 5:50 for domestos a quid in wilko or tesco and I like domestos lol ... Beer is extortionate here in comparrison to UK , Heinz ketchup 5:10 I paid other day in woollies here for a litre bottle 1:50 in UK , depends what you like I know I will be ramming my trolley next week salad here is mental and pasta is :) swings and roundabouts baby's teats for his bottles cheaper here than UK lol just a example :)

Pasta!? Its $1 a pack! Bleach, I buy homebrand...bleach is bleach...not paying for a fancy package. Try the Coles 'household cleaner' It's just nice thick bleach. $2 at most for large bottle. Tomato sauce is different, hubby just bought his HP on offer in Coles....beer is more expensive yes but also found wine a right rip off at Christmas in UK. Bagged salad is a rip off everywhere, I just buy the $2 mixed leaves in Coles.

And didn't the Oz media reveal last year that the cheap Aussie milk you mentioned came from overseas and not a 'nice' section of overseas ?

No...fresh milk sold in Australia is produced in Australia.

I was the same and loved the supermarkets on my first trip back...second time around I realised I was remembering things with my rose tints on. Prices seemed far more expensive (probably exchange rate) I will give UK the breakfast cereal prize though. Cereal aisle is not great here if you want high fibre healthy offerings without added sugar.

Not true. You can't beat Weet-Bix. Freely available.

Lots of other choices too.

Not true. You can't beat Weet-Bix. Freely available.

Lots of other choices too.

It is true in my opinion. You can't eat weetbix all the time. I like branflakes and shredded wheat and mini shredded wheats, plus shreddies. None of them here:( I don't like the other choices, they are usually 'bitty'

It is true in my opinion. You can't eat weetbix all the time. I like branflakes and shredded wheat and mini shredded wheats, plus shreddies. None of them here:( I don't like the other choices, they are usually 'bitty'

I've got some bran flakes and shredded wheat (purchased at Coles I think) in the pantry - do you want me to send you a care package :smile:

I absolutely loathe shredded wheat.

Weet-Bix is my staple and then have Sultana Bran and Just Right and Special K sometimes. Yes they have sugar in them. Sultana Bran is pretty good though.

I hate that Just right, bitty like I said, tiny pieces in it. I like Sultana bran but hubby hates sultanas and only likes plain bran flakes. Special K is not high fibre. A lot of cereal, you may as well just have a chocolate bar or breakfast. No nutritional benefit. I might ask MIL to post me some of the award winning LIDL muesli she buys. It's gorgeous.

Porridge oats are my staple, weetbix for son. I buy oatflakes at times too.

Just back from our weekly shop at spudshed.

not a huge shop by any means - we are on a very tight budget and plan our meals for the week.

I had a fair bit in already for what I am cooking for the week. Eg, planned a spag bol and have everything in.

Extras as that are not weekly items were toilet rolls - we always buy bulk - and hand soap.

Cost - $163. I still have a few things to buy as it is impossible to get ham hocks that are not smoked and we hate smoked ones for a broth, so, will have to buy a couple and roast then use into a broth. And some herbs as they don't do much and most of th sea food is imported frozen.

less than 10 months ago I was in the UK and did a shop for my dad and son. So same family size. We mixed it between Asda, Aldi and M&S. Cost £65 and that included a carton of beer. (Though very cheap stuff from Asda that I would rather not bother with, but dad likes). Very similar items as I tend to cook what I was taught by my mum. Quality though 10000% better. Choice 10000% better. Free range chicken cheaper than what you get the cheapest factory muck for here.

The only thing that seemed better in oz was beef. But haven spent a lot of time around one of Australia's biggest beef stations, I wonder if it would be regarded as edible anywhere else due to heavy metals. At lot of WA beef comes from Wiluna. A station literally next door to a lead carbonate mine and the vegetation in the area is known to be toxic to humans, but the system doesn't measure it in the cattle that eat it (interestingly, nor does it monitor it in the nearby indigenous population).

Just back from our weekly shop at spudshed.

not a huge shop by any means - we are on a very tight budget and plan our meals for the week.

I had a fair bit in already for what I am cooking for the week. Eg, planned a spag bol and have everything in.

Extras as that are not weekly items were toilet rolls - we always buy bulk - and hand soap.

Cost - $163. I still have a few things to buy as it is impossible to get ham hocks that are not smoked and we hate smoked ones for a broth, so, will have to buy a couple and roast then use into a broth. And some herbs as they don't do much and most of th sea food is imported frozen.

less than 10 months ago I was in the UK and did a shop for my dad and son. So same family size. We mixed it between Asda, Aldi and M&S. Cost £65 and that included a carton of beer. (Though very cheap stuff from Asda that I would rather not bother with, but dad likes). Very similar items as I tend to cook what I was taught by my mum. Quality though 10000% better. Choice 10000% better. Free range chicken cheaper than what you get the cheapest factory muck for here.

The only thing that seemed better in oz was beef. But haven spent a lot of time around one of Australia's biggest beef stations, I wonder if it would be regarded as edible anywhere else due to heavy metals. At lot of WA beef comes from Wiluna. A station literally next door to a lead carbonate mine and the vegetation in the area is known to be toxic to humans, but the system doesn't measure it in the cattle that eat it (interestingly, nor does it monitor it in the nearby indigenous population).

No wonder...you only buy fruit and veg and specials at spudshed. No way could I do a weekly shop there. They make money on staples that people need while saving on other stuff like carrots and beef. If I go to spudshed I usually come out laden down having spent about $70 and vowing to avoid Coles

No wonder...you only buy fruit and veg and specials at spudshed. No way could I do a weekly shop there. They make money on staples that people need while saving on other stuff like carrots and beef. If I go to spudshed I usually come out laden down having spent about $70 and vowing to avoid Coles

I don't find Spudshed cheap at all for my shopping I must admit. Looking forward to Aldis though.

I don't find Spudshed cheap at all for my shopping I must admit. Looking forward to Aldis though.

I find prices not bad at Coles if I shop wisely, I rarely go branded. If I go to the Asian greengrocers in the shopping centre even better. I just wish I could get better quality meat, fish and chicken for a decent price. It's all reasonable though.

We buy now the majority of our shop at spud shed. But, we buy according to specials and things. For example, last week, we bought a massive pumpkin on special for 69c. I turned it into a huge pot of pumpkin soup that fed us for 3 days. Coles and Woolworths are selling things at Waitrose / M&S prices that is the quality of Aldi.

We we don't buy any processed food - most of what we buy are veg and meats.

We buy now the majority of our shop at spud shed. But, we buy according to specials and things. For example, last week, we bought a massive pumpkin on special for 69c. I turned it into a huge pot of pumpkin soup that fed us for 3 days. Coles and Woolworths are selling things at Waitrose / M&S prices that is the quality of Aldi.

We we don't buy any processed food - most of what we buy are veg and meats.

But you get your loo rolls and hand soap etc? I find things like that a lot more expensive than Coles. Fruit and veg qulaity is pretty average in Coles I find, hit and miss. When stuff is on special it's good but I refuse to pay big money for things I can get cheaper elsewhere..like mushrooms, capsicums and tomatoes

Edited by HappyHeart

What's going on is that Australian banana producers and farm workers are being paid a living wage in a first world country.

UK bananas are produced by plantation workers who are being paid about one third of what they need to live on.

But hey...let's not worry about the slave labour conditions of other races in far away countries. As long as we can buy our bananas dirt cheap in the UK...who gives a toss about anyone else? :rolleyes:

Much as I hate high prices in Oz due to rorting (e.g. downloads being twice the price in Oz) I would much prefer to pay the price of food that enables the grower/producer to have a good living - In the UK I used to get my veg from the local organic farm 2 miles away - not cheap but not stupid price either. Some UK prices are so cheap you wonder how anyone can survive - 15p for a can of tomatoes.... Just occasionally I go onto UK sites for a browse, but that way lies madness... Better to wait till I'm home and celebrate all the choice...

The Australian bananas issue is always tricky - anyone remember $17 a kilo? At the time NZ bananas were going for $3.99 per kilo. What annoyed me was that prices were kept super high even after the crop had been replaced - so the poor Australian customer who tried their best to support the farmer got shafted by someone (probably the supermarkets)

I'm reading a Nigel Slater cookbook at the moment - it's seasonal and making me yearn for the UK and all the lovely stuff I like - Smoked haddock, gooseberries and decent asparagus etc.... Of course once I'm home I'll be whingeing that the mangoes and passion fruit are crap!

I'm reading a Nigel Slater cookbook at the moment - it's seasonal and making me yearn for the UK and all the lovely stuff I like - Smoked haddock, gooseberries and decent asparagus etc.... Of course once I'm home I'll be whingeing that the mangoes and passion fruit are crap!

That's why I love Tasmania: we get the gooseberries and decent asparagus...and the mangoes and passion fruit. Admittedly the smoked haddock is frozen....but local smoked ocean trout is a bonus. :wubclub:

That's why I love Tasmania: we get the gooseberries and decent asparagus...and the mangoes and passion fruit. Admittedly the smoked haddock is frozen....but local smoked ocean trout is a bonus. :wubclub:

Local and seasonal. The key to lower prices.

But you get your loo rolls and hand soap etc? I find things like that a lot more expensive than Coles. Fruit and veg qulaity is pretty average in Coles I find, hit and miss. When stuff is on special it's good but I refuse to pay big money for things I can get cheaper elsewhere..like mushrooms, capsicums and tomatoes

We just bought 32 rolls of loo roles in spudshed - on offer - for $10.

Shopping around und for us, has to be balanced with fuel cost as well.

Most, I miss the fruit and veg market or Leicester. About 30 stalls competing against each other / trying to out shout each other. Which means very keen prices. But also at end of the day everything is sold off for next to nothing. I was there last year and bought a kilo of wild mushrooms for 50p. Also a indoor area that we used to use a lot as it is a fish, game and cheese market. You can still get a brace of pheasants for a couple of quid.

The UK is so cheap for food clothes beauty products and medication. If you have been living is oz for a while this may be a surprise.

You can go to places like LIDAL, ASDA and Tescos and buy everything you need for cheap, from clothes to garden furniture to TVs. Most of your daily needs such as crisps, milk, 1l coke are ONE POUND!! the superstores are always at war and although a lot of their deals are cons...it is way cheaper than oz.

Im moving to oz in July and I'm in the process of packing and organising things to send over to oz.

we are expecting a baby and so I have been comparing prices on things and the majority of things i have bought here.

for example the baby monitor we have 100 pounds in oz 357 dollars. nurofen for babies 3pound same bottle in coles is 17dollars.

the only things we are buying in oz are the pram and cot just because the prices are so similar.

I have NO IDEA why the ozzies are ripped off so badly. people have said its because of the distance and things needing to be exported but as most things are made in china....surely the UK is further.

people can say you earn more but a bottle of nurofen should not be 3 times the price and the weekly shop should not be so expensive. Even sun tan lotion is cheaper in the UK and we hardly ever get to use it.

Saying that its just something I will have to get used to and accept.

Pasta!? Its $1 a pack! Bleach, I buy homebrand...bleach is bleach...not paying for a fancy package. Try the Coles 'household cleaner' It's just nice thick bleach. $2 at most for large bottle. Tomato sauce is different, hubby just bought his HP on offer in Coles....beer is more expensive yes but also found wine a right rip off at Christmas in UK. Bagged salad is a rip off everywhere, I just buy the $2 mixed leaves in Coles.

i mean the tub of pasta 7 dollars odd the creamy pasta in a tub tried all bleaches going still love domestos the home brand is too thin I'm not keen :)