Why move from the UK

paul1977

I'm from Bristol so I wondered? I was back in Bristol in October and the only thing that we bought that was cheaper than here in Mandurah was the Beer. I think it obviously depends where in. The UK and where in Australia you are going to compare prices.

I'm surprised you didn't find food cheaper as that tends to be the same over much of the country.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were disappointed eating out to be honest, we didn't budget at all well thinking back to 2010 prices I suppose and everyone telling us how cheap it was, it wasn't .

I can only assume you went to all the wrong places by the sounds of it which is a shame. Seriously everyone was telling you how cheap it was because it is. It's unfortunate you went to the expensive places. We pay from £5-6 for a pub meal, £3 for a pint, you can't go wrong.

I can only assume you went to all the wrong places by the sounds of it which is a shame. Seriously everyone was telling you how cheap it was because it is. It's unfortunate you went to the expensive places. We pay from £5-6 for a pub meal, £3 for a pint, you can't go wrong.

We visited Bristol & Bath as this is where our family is. The places we always used to eat when we lived there. With the exception of Sainsburys cooked breakfast of course which was immense value, except I don't eat cooked breakfasts anymore but my Muesli Yougurt was nice.

Will be in Bristol for our yearly 2 months visit shortly and will report back on how many 5/6 pd. pub lunches we found. I know one local pub does pensioner specials! Must admit I am looking forward to scampi and chips.

Shropshire is cheap I find (I know people in Telford). Surrey meal pub prices are around double that on average. Though you can opt for Weatherspoons or Harvester if you like for a cheap option.

The counter meal awaits you

Yes. Had one at a pub at Redlands Bay on our recce. Perfectly acceptable (Wetherspoons standard) and quite cheap as I recall and enjoyed dining outside in the sunshine overlooking the Bay in the middle of winter (August). The view made an average meal better. Don't actually go to pubs often anyway (3 or 4 times per year max) and only in summer in the UK.

Will be in Bristol for our yearly 2 months visit shortly and will report back on how many 5/6 pd. pub lunches we found. I know one local pub does pensioner specials! Must admit I am looking forward to scampi and chips.

I have no idea how many you will find in Bristol but up this way you would find loads ?

Shropshire is cheap I find (I know people in Telford). Surrey meal pub prices are around double that on average. Though you can opt for Weatherspoons or Harvester if you like for a cheap option.

Yes it definitely is cheap up here, we have had pub meals in various places in the UK and have usually found them very good value, the overpriced pubs rightly go out of business.

We will do the same over the coming weeks for the Wiltshire, Yorkshire, Somerset and Cornwall area's, as we will have town, country, holiday, comparisons as well as the great North-South divide.

Enjoy your trip ramot.

In a basket of course!..............much to johndoe's disgust:rolleyes:

We've been back in the UK since 2011 and it's not cheap to eat out unless you're eating in a weatherspoons pub which is very basic...get what you pay for food. We've found most food below average to be honest...pub grub...lasagne, sausage & mash, fish & chips etc etc. pints on average around £3.20. We've been to some nice restaurants & had some great food but you pay well for it! The average price for a main course is around £15..$29. Add to that a bottle of wine around £15 and this is without starters & desert.

There is cheap clothing if you like primark, George at Asda, Tu at sainsburys and the like. Quality any better in the UK? Imo not really! I work in retail, ladies clothing. Our average price for a top is £40, skirt £50 and I work for a pretty good brand but the quality isn't fantastic for the price you pay. I find it hard to agree that the quality is worse in Australia...it's really the fact that we have more choice in the UK. We visited Perth in December and apart from alcohol being expensive we found the food was of good quality & the choice was great. We ate out for breakfast a lot whilst there & I've yet to have a breakfast here to top any we had there unless I was eating a full english!

No you often get meal deals. Happy Hour ( which generally goes on for two hours) is wine $4 and a pint of Beer $6, normal price $6 and $8 .

Off topic but relating to an earlier thread/topic Que Sera Sera, I have just noticed your title, and you really are the Queen of Sheba aren't you, as you claim to be 'Living in de Nile':laugh:

Off topic but relating to an earlier thread/topic Que Sera Sera, I have just noticed your title, and you really are the Queen of Sheba aren't you, as you claim to be 'Living in de Nile':laugh:

:laugh: The Quuen of Sheba always makes me think of the episode from the Royal Family when Nana dies with the same title, brilliant telly.

No that was a tongue in cheek reference to being constantly being told I'm delusional or lying about the nice life I'm living, to some I'm too much of a positive pixie but I'm through apologising for it. Such is life. Sheba is almost as good as Doris. :yes:

Edited by Que Sera, Sera
still can't spell

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29809[/ATTACH] $16.95 our local "counter" meal lunch, stick a glass of wine with it and it's $20. Yep no deals to be had here, oh and the view while you dine [ATTACH=CONFIG]29810[/ATTACH] :cool: That's a seal having a play but you're more likely to catch the Dolphins having a frolic.

But, it all comes down to quality. I know this restaurant - we have been. Let's just say we won't be going back. It serves frozen oven chips and frozen fish. The frozen oven chips are visible in your pic.

It is possible to find a million examples anywhere of food that is cheap. But, it has to be judged in the light of what you actually get. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1 for a meal of frozen oven chips.

For $16 / £8 I can get a ceviche of fresh line caught sea bass in central London.

But to some extent this is a issue at its worst in Mandurah. When the area around the oyster bar was opening, were hoping a fine / high quality dining place would open. Some asking around resulted in a unanimous view that a high calibre dining restaurant could not survive in Mandurah.

But, it all comes down to quality. I know this restaurant - we have been. Let's just say we won't be going back. It serves frozen oven chips and frozen fish. The frozen oven chips are visible in your pic.

It is possible to find a million examples anywhere of food that is cheap. But, it has to be judged in the light of what you actually get. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1 for a meal of frozen oven chips.

For $16 / £8 I can get a ceviche of fresh line caught sea bass in central London.

But to some extent this is a issue at its worst in Mandurah. When the area around the oyster bar was opening, were hoping a fine / high quality dining place would open. Some asking around resulted in a unanimous view that a high calibre dining restaurant could not survive in Mandurah.

Apart from smoked salmon raw fish is perhaps an acquired taste? although I didn't realise you could catch sea bass in London.

I think QSS was really comparing like for like, eg. cheap UK pub meals for 5/6 UK Pds. As against similar fare near her, neither were being confused with fine dining.

Apart from smoked salmon raw fish is perhaps an acquired taste? although I didn't realise you could catch sea bass in London.

I think QSS was really comparing like for like, eg. cheap UK pub meals for 5/6 UK Pds. As against similar fare near her, neither were being confused with fine dining.

You have missed the point. The point was that comparing like for like requires quality to be like as we as price. QSS post is not a pub. It markets itself as a good restaurant.

As as for sea bass. No, you can't catch in London, but you can have a line caught - sustainable caught - sea bass on a plate the same day as it was caught in London.

You have missed the point. The point was that comparing like for like requires quality to be like as we as price. QSS post is not a pub. It markets itself as a good restaurant.

sea bass on a plate the same day as it was caught in London.

I'm sure you are right, no argument from me, I don't know Perth, but I will point out "gently and in jest" that the way you have worded your reply, still infers ithe sea bass was caught in London!

This is said very light heartedly.

As long as we all enjoy what we eat, we should all be happy, and this is said as an ex member of Chaine des Rotisseurs, but I'm no food snob.

still looking forward to my scampi and chips.