Why move from the UK

paul1977

You have missed the point. The point was that comparing like for like requires quality to be like as we as price. QSS post is not a pub. It markets itself as a good restaurant.

As as for sea bass. No, you can't catch in London, but you can have a line caught - sustainable caught - sea bass on a plate the same day as it was caught in London.

Erm I don't think Ninos Fish and Chips markets itself as a good Restaurant??? It's where the pensioners go for a good deal! Sorry but if you're in search of a good deal just follow the pensioners, they are not daft, and that fish is amazing. Get over yourself!

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are finding most food and better quality clothes cheaper here, pubs are certainly cheaper. Eating out also cheaper and better.

By here you refer to UK? My last travels to Europe last year found Malta to be generally good quality, price and friendly. (lots of freebies as well) Rome was fun but food below par but great wine and as usual Germany some great pub food in the smaller cities of very high quality and fair price. I did notice some of the really great pub/dinners from the past though no longer in operation.

But, it all comes down to quality. I know this restaurant - we have been. Let's just say we won't be going back. It serves frozen oven chips and frozen fish. The frozen oven chips are visible in your pic.

It is possible to find a million examples anywhere of food that is cheap. But, it has to be judged in the light of what you actually get. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1 for a meal of frozen oven chips.

For $16 / £8 I can get a ceviche of fresh line caught sea bass in central London.

But to some extent this is a issue at its worst in Mandurah. When the area around the oyster bar was opening, were hoping a fine / high quality dining place would open. Some asking around resulted in a unanimous view that a high calibre dining restaurant could not survive in Mandurah.

Clearly Im just a philistine that likes cheap food like the hundreds that fil the area every weekend, but hey ho we can't all have Nobu tastes can we Verstormy ? Luckily for most of us we are happy with our budget food.

Guest Guest66881
Clearly Im just a philistine that likes cheap food like the hundreds that fil the area every weekend, but hey ho we can't all have Nobu tastes can we Verstormy ? Luckily for most of us we are happy with our budget food.

I like to 'brag' about paying the least for things those who bang on about how much it cost and that it was SOOOOOO expensive is just vulgar, nothing wrong with standards but fooksake egg 'n' chips money that, good on you QSS:wink:

It is not a question of comparing places like Nobu.

It it is a question that plagues WA. By accepting mediocre food. That is what what we get.

There is zero excuse for a restaurant based on the ocean front to serve frozen fish.

There is zero excuse for a restaurant based in one of the most prolific potato producing areas of Australia to serve crap frozen oven chips.

The more we accept these, the more we will get.

The only way we are going to improve quality, is by standing up against mediocre and saying, sorry, giving me oven chips and some poor fish is not acceptable. Otherwise, we get what we deserve.

We we get an oyster bar that some times doesn't even have oysters and when it does are pre shucked and frozen. Yet, are more expensive than I have paid in Sydney good oyster bars for fresh shucked live. But we accept it and live with it.

It it is a question that plagues WA. By accepting mediocre food. That is what what we get.

There is zero excuse for a restaurant based on the ocean front to serve frozen fish.

There is zero excuse for a restaurant based in one of the most prolific potato producing areas of Australia to serve crap frozen oven chips.

Happened twice to me in the one evening. Just down from FIFO to meet my wife who arrived back from the UK, called in at the resuarant. Lady served up my fish and it was half frozen, called her back and got a second one some 8 minutes later...Frozen... Called for the manager and got 2 free meals and one night at the motel for free.

Cheers, Bobj.

The only way we are going to improve quality, is by standing up against mediocre and saying, sorry, giving me oven chips and some poor fish is not acceptable. Otherwise, we get what we deserve.

We we get an oyster bar that some times doesn't even have oysters and when it does are pre shucked and frozen. Yet, are more expensive than I have paid in Sydney good oyster bars for fresh shucked live. But we accept it and live with it.

No what this is , is you saying that this restaurant markets itself is a top notch restaurant , it doesn't . It's a fish and chip cafe and therefore it's cheap prices. I have no idea if the fish is frozen, I'll take your word for that but I was comparing it to cheap food in Bristol where I came from. Budget food compared. It's not charging for posh gimmicky food. Like I say it's horses for courses, if you don't want to eat there fine, but don't knock me for comparing a cheap meal for a cheap meal.

There is zero excuse .

I guess the excuse is that it's still in business....................market forces they call it...................catering for what sells at max profit. If everyone saw it as cr@p, they wouldn't still be in business would they? You may not accept it, but obviously many others do

Im not opposed to cheap eats.You get what you pay for right?fwiw the meal looked fine to me!I'd deffo eat it,and for the price?You don't have to fine dine to take a night off cooking!I like counter meals,nice cold glass of beer!I have eaten in aussie pubs (in the dining rooms and a counter meal at the bar)also eaten in Wetherspoons,I don't expect Michelin star meals for the price I pay.Its comparable to a take out price wise,but you get to sit in,plus have a drink,so all is good.:cute:

No what this is , is you saying that this restaurant markets itself is a top notch restaurant , it doesn't . It's a fish and chip cafe and therefore it's cheap prices. I have no idea if the fish is frozen, I'll take your word for that but I was comparing it to cheap food in Bristol where I came from. Budget food compared. It's not charging for posh gimmicky food. Like I say it's horses for courses, if you don't want to eat there fine, but don't knock me for comparing a cheap meal for a cheap meal.

Not at all, maybe I have not phrased myself well. What I am saying is what it is offering is poor quality food. So must be judged as such.

I guess the excuse is that it's still in business....................market forces they call it...................catering for what sells at max profit. If everyone saw it as cr@p, they wouldn't still be in business would they? You may not accept it, but obviously many others do

But that is the really sad bit. Unless people start to demand better, they will never get better. The food in the Mandurah area for eating out is shocking. I will give an example.

A "restaurant" overlooking a great view in the south of Mandurah across the Peel and the marina offered a sea food buffet. As, big sea food fans we were keen to go. My wife's culture is very seas food based.

We paid to find frozen oysters. Some really poor quality prawns in a sauce clearly out of a jar. Some mussles that were also out of a bag - we saw them open and dispense, some fish - all perfectly the same size and clearly reconstituted mush. With piles of oven chips. All this wonder for $85 each.

And people were buying it!

they are accepting crap without bothering to question the fact they are being served crap.

Guest Guest66881

Pizza hut does cheap tuesday every day of the week, and i must say the margherita is simply divine (thin crust):wink:

Not at all, maybe I have not phrased myself well. What I am saying is what it is offering is poor quality food. So must be judged as such.

What makes frozen=poor quality? Quality in what sense? Nutritional? Frozen foods often offer superior nutritional benefits.

With all due respect VS,you did have a choice whether to pay $85 or walk away right?No way would I pay $85 for stuff you could buy from the supermarket! Otoh,I would pay $16 for the meal that QSS posted.I had an excellent thai meal last time I was in Adelaide and it costs under $30 which included a glass of wine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29809[/ATTACH] $16.95 our local "counter" meal lunch, stick a glass of wine with it and it's $20. Yep no deals to be had here, oh and the view while you dine [ATTACH=CONFIG]29810[/ATTACH] :cool: That's a seal having a play but you're more likely to catch the Dolphins having a frolic.

Looks amazing value to me. I don't care about frozen chips, doubt very much they are cooked in an oven though, most places will fry frozen chips and they taste great. As for the fish, I don't like frozen 'fish portions'...but a previously frozen fish fillet, freshly battered (as this looks) is perfectly acceptable to me. Looks great. Bargain. You get what you pay for most places. (and countries)

Yes Bobj but its fresh when they freeze it!Not everyone has the time or skill to head off fishing when it suits them!

bigemo_harabe_net-163.gifPriceless!!

I was discussing frozen fish being served in a restaurant...How would you react??

Cheers, Bobj.

What makes frozen=poor quality? Quality in what sense? Nutritional? Frozen foods often offer superior nutritional benefits.

How long has it been frozen??? It could be 6 months in a freezer and sold to a customer as "fresh".

And 6 months is NEVER fresh.

Cheers, Bobj.

But that is the really sad bit. Unless people start to demand better, they will never get better. The food in the Mandurah area for eating out is shocking. I will give an example.

A "restaurant" overlooking a great view in the south of Mandurah across the Peel and the marina offered a sea food buffet. As, big sea food fans we were keen to go. My wife's culture is very seas food based.

We paid to find frozen oysters. Some really poor quality prawns in a sauce clearly out of a jar. Some mussles that were also out of a bag - we saw them open and dispense, some fish - all perfectly the same size and clearly reconstituted mush. With piles of oven chips. All this wonder for $85 each.

And people were buying it!

they are accepting crap without bothering to question the fact they are being served crap.

I understand what you are saying but you kind of gave away the problem with "overlooking a great view". With restaurants like ths you are paying for location rather than the quality of food. You can find examples of this anywhere in the world.

I understand what you are saying but you kind of gave away the problem with "overlooking a great view". With restaurants like ths you are paying for location rather than the quality of food. You can find examples of this anywhere in the world.

It certainly can be and have experienced it in both Australia and England but when customers demand better it is usually done with a degree of effort. France springs to mind. A very demanding clientele who are not shy at pointing out deficiencies and making a scene. Usually works out to their advantage. Americans are fully able to give bad feed back. For some reason English and Australians seem to prefer not to create a scene though.

It certainly can be and have experienced it in both Australia and England but when customers demand better it is usually done with a degree of effort. France springs to mind. A very demanding clientele who are not shy at pointing out deficiencies and making a scene. Usually works out to their advantage. Americans are fully able to give bad feed back. For some reason English and Australians seem to prefer not to create a scene though.

I disagree. I and most of my friends/family will always complain if service/food not acceptable. In fact did so when down in Denmark a few weeks ago. Ridiculous wait for food (unadvised) and mains coming out 40 mins apart. We got the food we did eat for free after cancelling the rest of the order. No need to cause a scene. Just speak firmly with the manager.

Yes and so was I BobJ!Not sure why you're laughing so much?My point was,as long as the fish was frozen on the day its caught,then its as fresh as it could be!Im not that fussy,so if I paid $16 for a meal of frozen fish,frozen chips and salad,I wouldn't be "reacting"at all!Even is said eatery was falsely advertising "fresh"fish and I got frozen?No biggie to me,especially for $16!If however I paid $85?I expect differently!

Just for you::ssign11: