Why move from the UK

paul1977

I live 18 meters from the Indian Ocean in Perth - I can hear the waves laying in bed. I have been in the water maybe twice this year. That is one more than last year.

And if you are moving to Tassie, the water temp is about the same as northern Scotland - it is wet suit water at best.

If you haven't used the Indian ocean more than that....more fool you!!

And thanks for advice re Tassie water but I expect I've been in Tassie water several more times than you! I may be wrong . However it's true it's not the Caribbean ! It just looks like it. However you do have the beaches to yourself or at least a good space of it.

Of course this is not the driving reason behind our move but weather and lower population density and definite bonuses ( for us ).

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is nice just to be close to the sea though. I swim for about ten mins then just sit looking at the sea for a couple of hours. Each beach has its own 'magic' & its own unique qualities. I'm at Clovelly tonight, watching the daylight fade away. The cicadas are starting too.

I've never lived as close as 18mr to the sea, but I've also never lived inland and I've always had the sea nearby.

Just something peacful and relaxing about being near the Ocean, even if you don't go in it very much. My Aunt and cousins live in Robin Hoods Bay and I went to work in the bakery there in the school holidays when I was about 15. The sea is freezing and a few of us from the bakery used to go for a dip each night. It was usually pretty rough and not exactly safe for swimming but we were young and indestructible at the time.:wink: We used to get a few people come down to watch us as we had to run out along a concrete walkway when the waves went out and then swim hard to get away from the sea wall. We couldn't get out till the tide had gone out far enough to expose a bit of the beach. I guess we were a bit of entertainment for the visitors.

RHB isn't the nicest looking Ocean to be near but I loved just being close to it, same when I was working in Plymouth and Portsmouth, we considered moving there but it was too expensive at the time. Thought we may as well move to somewhere with a good climate and be close to a nice Ocean and beach.

My cousin in WA posted that she was in cinema near Herdsman and on road I think to Scarborough Beach. I clicked on location and got directions from Clovelly beach something like 43 hrs and 3994 km. Made me a bit nostalgic as Scarborough (Scarbo? Scarbie? Do u abbreviate it?) was my first Aussie beach and I compared all the Sydney beaches unfavourably to it!) I stayed at Herdsman with my parents and brother in 81.

Anyway what I wanted to ask is, 'Are people in Perth able to go further north or south of the city to buy cheap(er) homes yet still on the coast, or do they move east and inland the way we move west? ("Easties!?)

My cousin in WA posted that she was in cinema near Herdsman and on road I think to Scarborough Beach. I clicked on location and got directions from Clovelly beach something like 43 hrs and 3994 km. Made me a bit nostalgic as Scarborough (Scarbo? Scarbie? Do u abbreviate it?) was my first Aussie beach and I compared all the Sydney beaches unfavourably to it!) I stayed at Herdsman with my parents and brother in 81.

Anyway what I wanted to ask is, 'Are people in Perth able to go further north or south of the city to buy cheap(er) homes yet still on the coast, or do they move east and inland the way we move west? ("Easties!?)

You wouldn't recognise the place now Maryrose02. If you were last here that long ago Perth has spread more North and South than East. I think the influx of loads of poms, who came for the same reasons as us, to be near the coast and have affordable housing has led to it expanding that way. It's still going too, if you had a ride out as far as Yanchep or carried on South the same distance you can see all the new housing estates popping up. The further you move North and South the cheaper the properties are likely to be but you can still be near fantastic beaches, some even nicer than Scarborough. There's plenty to go at MR, never ending coastline. I guess going North is a bit nicer as you don't have Kwinana and industrial development that way. I know we chose to come North after a couple of trips South to see what it was like. We went on the old road as far as Rockingham and as soon as we saw Kwinana that was enough to put us off.

Rockingham. Mandurah and Secret Harbour are just fine though. I'm sure there are heaps more but they are the 3 I'm most familiar with. Going North you have Joondalup really kicking on now with the biggest shopping centre in Aus, once it's finished and a few jobs in and around that area. Not everyone has to travel into Perth to work.

Yes, I really must make a trip over there again. I started off in Perth, in 1978, came back for a holiday in 1981, and then had a two-night stopover on my way from the UK, in January, 1997. It's odd how things worked out, as all my plans when I was in England were about coming to Perth, and I loved it from the moment I disembarked from the ship at Fremantle, but I ended up in Sydney.

I've noticed that migrants are a tricky bunch (demographic if you will??) Especially from the west (and this includes me!). They really want the best from everyplace. They want all the benefits from their adopted country but do not feel obliged to carry out the full responsibilities of being a resident/ citizen of their new homeland. And when it all gets too hard, often they leave. Not their responsibility to deal with things they don't like, is it? They see migration as a right not a privilege, and dilly dally over whether the sunsets are going to be nice enough and whether they are going to be close enough to the beach their entire lives. Isn't this missing the point of wanting to belong to a particular nation and it's constitutional framework? (Yeah right!)

You don't see this with migrants from poorer countries who just suck it up and are grateful.. you know for the stuff we all take for granted as we try to inch our lives ever closer to a 180 degree ocean view.

Just an observation on tokenistic migration between rich countries. (I am to blame for this too as a citizen of two continents.)

If you haven't used the Indian ocean more than that....more fool you!!

And thanks for advice re Tassie water but I expect I've been in Tassie water several more times than you! I may be wrong . However it's true it's not the Caribbean ! It just looks like it. However you do have the beaches to yourself or at least a good space of it.

Of course this is not the driving reason behind our move but weather and lower population density and definite bonuses ( for us ).

after a lot years you fall into one of two categories. The goldfish brigade - ohhh look, sand and water repeat daily just like a goldfish going round and round. Or go meh, been and done it far too many times.

after a lot years you fall into one of two categories. The goldfish brigade - ohhh look, sand and water repeat daily just like a goldfish going round and round. Or go meh, been and done it far too many times.

I (wish I) had the same 'problem' with sex!

Actually, I hope I never have that 'problem' with going to the beach. I'm not a sunbather, and rarely go there before 6pm, but once there, I love to have a walk/easy jog along the beach, followed by a swim, then I just sit and watch and listen, till long after dark. I know I'm not alone. It's why, the world over, you see so many memorials on seats and benchs overlooking water.

I (wish I) had the same 'problem' with sex!

Actually, I hope I never have that 'problem' with going to the beach. I'm not a sunbather, and rarely go there before 6pm, but once there, I love to have a walk/easy jog along the beach, followed by a swim, then I just sit and watch and listen, till long after dark. I know I'm not alone. It's why, the world over, you see so many memorials on seats and benchs overlooking water.

Me too:) Just shows we are all different

I could just look at the ocean all day. Been to Hilary's , Scarborough and Sorrento today sat In The Lucky Shag yesterday over looking the water and this evening will be out in Mandurah at a bar somewhere overlooking the water., after we've taken the dog down the local beach. What sound does a goldfish make......:laugh:

I could just look at the ocean all day. Been to Hilary's , Scarborough and Sorrento today sat In The Lucky Shag yesterday over looking the water and this evening will be out in Mandurah at a bar somewhere overlooking the water., after we've taken the dog down the local beach. What sound does a goldfish make......:laugh:

There seems to be a theme involving alcohol coupled with the Ocean there QSS.:wink:

Some of us have achieved a more well rounded existence and enjoy lots of sand and water while also managing to do other things lol

In fact, this is our main driver for going back to the UK and I often find myself wondering whether that's completely bonkers. However, we're retired now and considering how we want to keep ourselves occupied in retirement, the answer always comes back to European holidays. It makes far more sense to move to the UK so we can holiday cheaply and often, than stay in Oz and pay a fortune to fly to Europe every couple of years.

Oh the European holidays.....not Benidorm or Majorca.....western Europe is bloody fantastic.....Milan...madrid....venice.....salzburg....vienna......etc etc......thats the no 1 reason for being here.....no 2 is there is so much to see and do here in the u.k

I know people that are skiing in Europe now......doesnt appeal to me ......but western Europe does have it all.......MAKE THE MOST OF IT.....DONT PUT IT OFF

....GO DO IT

I wouldn't question it VS, people who love the beach lifestyle,its in their DNA....I have a sibling who is like it,spending hours on the beach or looking out to sea....each to their own......give me a week doing that,and they would find me sat in a sand dune,rocking backwards and forwards.....talking to myself.....I mean ilove the sea....a good seascape and sunset,but its one ingredient.....not the whole cake

Oh the European holidays.....not Benidorm or Majorca.....western Europe is bloody fantastic.....Milan...madrid....venice.....salzburg....vienna......etc etc......thats the no 1 reason for being here.....no 2 is there is so much to see and do here in the u.k

I know people that are skiing in Europe now......doesnt appeal to me ......but western Europe does have it all.......MAKE THE MOST OF IT.....DONT PUT IT OFF

....GO DO IT

The trips to European cities are something we miss a lot. We often went to Paris in particular, but other cities like Amsterdam, Rome, etc. When you're in Australia, you're really in Australia.

Still on Easyjet's mailing list from being in the UK in 2014. They're just flogging thirty quid specials to selected destinations ex Gatwick. I should unsubscribe really, I'm just upsetting myself.

Dont even think about looking on the Eurostar site then. £46 to Paris. Can leave mid morning, be in Paris for lunch, do a gallery and be home for dinner.