1) I grew up in the 80’s when everyone was obsessed with Australia eg Crocodile Dundee, Neighbours etc.!Later Billy Connolly’s Tour of Aus and Bill Bryson’s Down Under kept the Aus fire alight.
2) During Uni I had the opportunity to come to Perth for a couple of months. Loved it. Wanted to emigrate/return ASAP.
3) After saving up for a couple of years I came out as a backpacker. Loved Aus all the more. Met a local bloke in Tassie. Took him home as a souvenir! ( First mistake .... not meeting him.... but should have stayed In Aus then and got a visa via work)
4) Retuned to Aus 2 yrs ago as husband hated living in the UK. Had intended to move many years before but housing crash stopped us followed by children / struggling to save up despite both being professionals.
5)Jobs/earnings/house buying prospects all better for us both here.
6) Weather .... sort of anyway. I love seasons so Tassie suits me. I couldn’t cope with mainland heat. But on the whole Tassie has milder winters/less greyness/ more daylight in winter. Summer is usually slightly warmer/ more predictable than a UK summer but anything over 25 I don’t like anyway!
7) Kids enjoying the outdoors more. They joined surf club which definitely wasn’t happening on the North Sea! Out on bikes more. Looking at SUPs/kayaks when they get a bit older as we’re only 5 mins to the coast.
Obviously skin cancer risk is higher so we are careful/ sun smart.
8 ) Love the Aussie wildlife in our garden. The space we have. Have neighbours but we’re not squished in. Room to breathe and enjoy the birdsong, bandicoots, wallabies and our resident echidna.
Sorry I went over the 6!