Why move from the UK

paul1977

Oh the European holidays.....not Benidorm or Majorca.....western Europe is bloody fantastic.....Milan...madrid....venice.....salzburg....vienna......etc etc......thats the no 1 reason for being here.....no 2 is there is so much to see and do here in the u.k

I know people that are skiing in Europe now......doesnt appeal to me ......but western Europe does have it all.......MAKE THE MOST OF IT.....DONT PUT IT OFF

....GO DO IT

I'm feeling guilty already! In my 12 years back in the UK, I did not do a single short trip to a European city, and only three holidays abroad - all to Spain. But the only thing I miss about living in the UK, is my bike rides, and walks, in The New Forest, which started, literally, on my front door step, and I used to do them almost every weekend.

We can't do anything about Australia's geographical location, in the Southern Hemisphere, but then again, WHY would we want to? We are not the only nation here, nor the only culture, or language. Immerse yourself in those countries, rather than 'pine' for Western Europe, although at least in the big cities like Sydney, there is plenty of scope to enjoy European culture, whether by learning a language, or just eating out in of the 'ethnic' 'burbs.

I'm feeling like a cultural 'Phililstine' now, because I 'live' in Sydney, whilst doing very few of those things, apart from consuming plenty of 'ethnic' food. I doubt if I'll go to a single event in The Festival of Sydney, though I did see 'Hamlet' in German, a couple of years ago. I've never seen opera at the Sydney Opera House.

Here's another of my wholly unscientific statistics; few of the people I meet from Europe tell me they miss their countries of origin. They don't 'pine' for the glories of Rome, or Paris, (or London for that matter!)

Bottom line really, is that happy Australians, whatever their origin, just 'live' here in Australia. You don't have to enjoy the beach. Few of my friends, whether Aussie or from Europe, seem to go very much. I do love the beach, but I like to go late in the arvo, and then stay until long past darkness. I just like being around water, and out of the sun..

I was surrounded by people speaking 'foreign' languages last night at Nielsen Park, maybe Russian, Ukrainian, I don't know, but they all looked pretty happy to be there. One family intrigued me because the parents spoke to their children in their own language, and the kids answered in broad Aussie English.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't question it VS, people who love the beach lifestyle,its in their DNA....I have a sibling who is like it,spending hours on the beach or looking out to sea....each to their own......give me a week doing that,and they would find me sat in a sand dune,rocking backwards and forwards.....talking to myself.....I mean ilove the sea....a good seascape and sunset,but its one ingredient.....not the whole cake

I have to ask the question why on earth did you chose Bunbury to live? Really it's all about the beach there. There is nothing else. Why didn't you choose a more populated part of Australia?

The inspiring thing to me about some of those bush towns, tho not sure if that includes Bunbury, is the way the early settlers often tried to create a bit of 'culture' with theatres and art schools and music. I guess it is still hard somewhere like Wilcannia. Where I stayed for a night. We all need a bit of pioneering spirit?

The inspiring thing to me about some of those bush towns, tho not sure if that includes Bunbury, is the way the early settlers often tried to create a bit of 'culture' with theatres and art schools and music. I guess it is still hard somewhere like Wilcannia. Where I stayed for a night. We all need a bit of pioneering spirit?

I agree, Bunbury is gorgeous to me but I love that sort of sea side town I've friends that live there. If your not "into" the quaint seaside place then why on earth move there. It doesn't take much to research in this day and age

I agree, Bunbury is gorgeous to me but I love that sort of sea side town I've friends that live there. If your not "into" the quaint seaside place then why on earth move there. It doesn't take much to research in this day and age

QSS Bunbury61 doesn't live in Bunbury he hasn't been in Australia for a while he lives around the Midlands I think xx

QSS Bunbury61 doesn't live in Bunbury he hasn't been in Australia for a while he lives around the Midlands I think xx

Thanks Laney I know he's not now but I'm assuming he did and if so it might explain why he disliked it so much as Bunbury is a fairly unique place and if you don't like the ocean an unusual choice I'd have thought.

I'm feeling guilty already! In my 12 years back in the UK, I did not do a single short trip to a European city...

We can't do anything about Australia's geographical location, in the Southern Hemisphere, but then again, WHY would we want to? We are not the only nation here, nor the only culture, or language. Immerse yourself in those countries, rather than 'pine' for Western Europe, although at least in the big cities like Sydney, there is plenty of scope to enjoy European culture, whether by learning a language, or just eating out in of the 'ethnic' 'burbs.

Bottom line really, is that happy Australians, whatever their origin, just 'live' here in Australia. You don't have to enjoy the beach. Few of my friends, whether Aussie or from Europe, seem to go very much. I do love the beach, but I like to go late in the arvo, and then stay until long past darkness. I just like being around water, and out of the sun..

Since you never went to European cities when you were back in the UK, it's obviously something that doesn't interest you, so you wouldn't miss it. Others, who used to enjoy those visits, will feel differently. If they feel that's an important part of their life, which they're not willing to give up, why would you object to that? They're entitled to their own preferences.

In a nutshell, Australia is not going to work for everyone and that's good, because life would be pretty boring if everyone was the same.

Edited by Marisawright

That is a standard single. But often do specials for £50 return. Cheapest I have seen in the last year was £42 return.

I couldn't sleep last night so I has a nosey and they had returns for around £70. I wish I'd send when I was down last January. I think I did actually look into it but it was more expensive

I got to Bronte at 9pm thinking I was too late but there were still plenty of people there, still there now as I'm leaving at 10 in fact. I don't often get the chance to swim under the stars, under the Southern Cross.

Re. The European cities. Well I miss going to London but I guess I'm more of a country person (which makes it hard to adjust to Sydney sometimes.)

Ultimately, for me at least, it is people I miss, more than things. And I've got more family and friends in Sydney than in England.

I don't know how you deal with living a living a long way from either people or things you like? Australia is ten thousand miles from Europe. That's a fact! But it has its compensations e.g. on a balmy summer night at the beach in the middle of January!

We haven't done enough of Europe really but wouldn't do it now with 2 young kids anyway. Hopefully in the future we might have long service leave and get to come over for a long trip when the girls are teenagers and travel round Europe when they're old enough to appreciate it. Until then they'll have to "put up" with holiday to other parts of Aus like Barrier Reef , Gold coast, WA, Mornington, Kakadu, Blue mountains, Thredbo.....or NZ, Fiji, Thailand..... Poor things.

Europe is great to visit, but if like us you come as a older expat, ie over 40 then chances are even though you love what's going on in Europe, you've seen what there is to see.

Coming to Aus means you have the weather and beaches on your doorstep, instead of travelling to them for a couple of weeks then going back to grey sky UK .

And if you want to travel, then there is all of Aus to explore, or head off to the places mentioned by the previous poster.

Treat it as an adventure

My family and I are hoping to move to Oz in the next couple of years, but I think the thing I will really miss more than anything is travelling the tight, twestie and scenic roads of Ireland, the UK and Europe on my motorbike. There's nothing better than a couple of weeks exploring the Alps on a motorbike. Roads seem to be long and straight in Oz from what I can tell.

My family and I are hoping to move to Oz in the next couple of years, but I think the thing I will really miss more than anything is travelling the tight, twestie and scenic roads of Ireland, the UK and Europe on my motorbike. There's nothing better than a couple of weeks exploring the Alps on a motorbike. Roads seem to be long and straight in Oz from what I can tell.

Weve only explored WA by car and yes, the roads can be tedious, especially when you set the sat nav to your destination and it tells you that its over 500 kms straight before you have to make a turn in the road:laugh:

we used to love exploring Europe by road, so much better than just flying to your destination. But you just embrace the differences when here, 4wd is best to able you to get the most out of driving here.

I don't know how you deal with living a living a long way from either people or things you like? Australia is ten thousand miles from Europe. That's a fact! But it has its compensations e.g. on a balmy summer night at the beach in the middle of January!

Well, I came out to Australia with my husband and I'm not that close to my family, so that was enough for me. Then we split up and I thought about going back to the UK because I was all alone, but my career was going gangbusters. Between long hours and dance classes, I had no time to feel lonely anyway! Then I met my new (Aussie) husband. He's like me and enjoys history and the arts - we thought we'd spend our retirement finally having time to enjoy those things, but then discovered we'd already seen all there was in Australia, several times over.

His mother passed away four years ago so neither of us has any family in Australia now, and I'm embarrassed to admit neither of us has any close friends either. We have acquaintances, none of whom will miss us when we go, I suspect.

It's up to each person whether Australia has enough compensations to make up for what it lacks. Every country has its pro's and con's and every one will see the balance differently.

Europe is great to visit, but if like us you come as a older expat, ie over 40 then chances are even though you love what's going on in Europe, you've seen what there is to see.

Coming to Aus means you have the weather and beaches on your doorstep, instead of travelling to them for a couple of weeks then going back to grey sky UK .

True, and it's why we're going in the opposite direction. I left the UK before I'd travelled much in Europe. I've been back on several holidays but I've still barely scratched the surface. Whereas Australia has some iconic and amazing attractions - but once you've seen them, all the towns are pretty much the same, and all the bush is pretty much the same, and all the beaches are pretty much the same. So in the course of 30 years, I've seen everything multiple times and run out of stuff I want to see.

I agree that if you were going to Europe for the sun and beaches, then it makes a lot of sense to come to Australia and live in it instead. I never went to Europe for the sun and beaches and won't when we return.

We haven't done enough of Europe really but wouldn't do it now with 2 young kids anyway. Hopefully in the future we might have long service leave and get to come over for a long trip when the girls are teenagers and travel round Europe when they're old enough to appreciate it. Until then they'll have to "put up" with holiday to other parts of Aus like Barrier Reef , Gold coast, WA, Mornington, Kakadu, Blue mountains, Thredbo.....or NZ, Fiji, Thailand..... Poor things.

Have you won the lottery.:laugh:

Be interested to hear from people who are about to leave the UK

what are your reasons for leaving...? How do you think Australia will solve/improve things and why couldn't you do these changes back in the UK..?

I can't get my head around the question! Is it, 'Why bother going to Australia if you are happy in the UK?' Or 'Why bother going to Australia if you have a good life in the UK?' Or 'Why do you think going to Australia will make you happy, if you are unhappy in the UK?'

According tothe first of those two questions, I certainly shouldn't have come to Australia. I don't know about the third!

I guess my bottom line would be that, if you are happy in the UK, and you have a good life there, you will probably experience the same in Australia, but if you are unhappy in the UK, you may well feel the same in Australia.

Think of all the millions of people who went, not just to Australia, but also to New Zealand, Canada, the USA, South Africa, South America, should they all have stayed at home because of the 'tyranny of distance' from Europe?

Is life in Australia some kind of 'cultural desert?' Will you still be able to see opera, and listen to orchestras, and watch plays and musicals? Of course. And to dismiss Australia's 250 years of European history (not forgetting Aboriginal culture and history) as not being worthy of study is ridiculous. But if you still want to go to university and study European history, well, that's no problem either, and you can join study tours to Europe led by Australian (and other) academics. I opted to study European history when I went to the Uni of NSW, something I regret now, although at the time I thought it would be easier to study something I was more familiar with.

I have a second 'bottom line.' Once the 'seed' (i.e. thinking about Australia) is planted, your mindset is already altered. Go! (or rather 'Come!') It might be the only adventure you ever have, and if you change your mind because of negative comments from somebody else, you will probably regret it!'

And now at 20 past 11 on a Sunday night, I'm going to do something I could never do in the UK! Go to a pub for a beer!

I think if you are a positive easygoing person, you would be happy in either country but if you are happy in the UK - living in the town you grew up, on same street as your mum, sister,cousin and best friends, and Oz is your partner's dream.....then no I don't think these people will be happy in Australia. Equally someone unhappy with life in UK, with no close family, might well find Aus a better way but it depends what it is they're unhappy with and will that change in Oz? I suppose the point is no one else can say another person or family will be happy in Oz. All you can do is consider the likelihood of it for your own personal circumstances and decide if it is worth the 'risk'.

• 2 weeks later...
The heat can be exhausting, but for a lot of us its still a lot better than freezing cold.

Perth this summer so far is a lot cooler than normal, average about 30 which is just pleasant. I've not needed aircon on yet at home.

And summer is only 3/4 months, a cold spell at nights during July, aug, September. The rest of the year like a UK summer, some hot days, some rainy days.

So as shallow as it sounds, the weather, the beaches, the facilities, the cleanliness all make it a better place to live than the UK .....for some of us.

Others think they want to come but are never going to make it, can spot it a mile off.

they don't do any research, they think a job should fall into their lap, they miss their friends but don't put the effort into making new ones, also if coming with their partner/family seem to forget that they actually have their best friend by their side to experience new things together with.

They compare...all the bloody time. Can't find a decent Indian/Chinese/Sunday roast.

Ok will stop there before I get into trouble.

Slip up there Australia has better Asian food than you get in actual Asia but yeah theres a guy at work who reckons he was bored with Australia after 3 weeks on holiday. When I ask him what he would have been doing in the UK that was better he had no way of explaining it.

I think if you are a positive easygoing person, you would be happy in either country but if you are happy in the UK - living in the town you grew up, on same street as your mum, sister,cousin and best friends, and Oz is your partner's dream.....then no I don't think these people will be happy in Australia. Equally someone unhappy with life in UK, with no close family, might well find Aus a better way but it depends what it is they're unhappy with and will that change in Oz? I suppose the point is no one else can say another person or family will be happy in Oz. All you can do is consider the likelihood of it for your own personal circumstances and decide if it is worth the 'risk'.

I think thats too 'simplistic' while I agree with the basic points...you don't have to be 'unhappy' with your life in UK to appreciate Australia. Neither do you have to have 'no friends and family' in UK to be content to stay here. I do think a lot depends on your partnership/marriage etc...it helps immensely if you're both on the same page in terms of likes/dislikes/wants and needs...a strong partnership can weather the storm and 'make up for' loss of easy contact with family/friends....it just depends on what your priorities are and what you are searching for.

I think 'unhappy' people are more likely to not be 'happy' here....if that makes sense...

Be interested to hear from people who are about to leave the UK

what are your reasons for leaving...? How do you think Australia will solve/improve things and why couldn't you do these changes back in the UK..?

Weather is better, pay is better, you can do so much for free outdoors due to beeches and nature parks etc, better education and life for kids, the work place is more relaxed, life in general is more relaxed, people actually work and don't just sit around expecting dole hand outs like it is their god given rights, while you may have to pay health care is better...... I think that may be enough for now :)

Weather is better, pay is better, you can do so much for free outdoors due to beeches and nature parks etc, better education and life for kids, the work place is more relaxed, life in general is more relaxed, people actually work and don't just sit around expecting dole hand outs like it is their god given rights, while you may have to pay health care is better...... I think that may be enough for now :)

Whilst I'm a positive pixie, some of these points may need to be given further research.......