How old were you when you emigrated?

BritChickx

Or how old will you be when you emigrate?

Some people might think this is mad, but I do want to return! I'll probably be in my late 20's by the time it happens.

Do you think age plays a part in migration? would you have settled/not liked it as much if you went when you were younger/older?

I think i would have liked to have spent my 20's enjoying aus, but looking more like 30's....that's not old right? :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29 and 11 months. I think age is largely irrelevant in those middle years. If you're very young it's probably easiest because you don't know any better and if you're over 50 then you either have to be very wealthy or very lucky to get a job.

10 the first time

12 the second

22 the third

37 the fourth

40 the fifth and who knows what will happen after that! :rolleyes:

When you are a kid it largely doesn't matter, you are happy if your parents are happy? In my 20s I felt braver, and felt as though I had more years ahead of me to make amends if anything went wrong...In my 30s it started to feel a bit harder, I tend to worry more as I get older, maybe because life gets more complicated? Mortgages, family etc. Now I have hit 40 but will be going home. I am very worried about work, but perhaps have become a bit more philosophical about everything, what will be will be and life is too short kind of attitude? I hope we don't move again soon :unsure: but I bet we will! (as long as it isn't back to Oz)

My OH was 8, his parents were in their 30's, his aunts and uncles were in their 30's and 40's with kids of all ages from babies to teens and his grandparents were in their late 60's/early 70's by the time they came.

They all settled happily even his grandparents so I think a persons attitude and ability to cope with change is a key factor.

I was 44, OH 45 and the kids were 13, 11, 5 & 3. In retrospect it would have been easier when the older two were a bit younger...but you make the move when you can, no good looking back with 'what ifs'

Both me and hubby where 27. I think it was quite easy for us to move as we didn't have any strong ties with Europe (except for family), both our parents are fully healthy and don't need our help and we don't have kids, so less stress.

I am still missing something because I thought you had rushed off to North Queensland before you visa was granted or to apply on shore or something... anyway...is there a thread with the story in? I think as a girl the best time to come is 18-30 with no kids or maybe 20-40 with kids... Its easier to meet people if your either young enough to be going out or you have kids to meet other mums.. I think if your a 40 year old with no kids, you cant go out meeting new people as easlily and you dont have the mum support group.. just a guess tho :)

Archived