Is Oz all it's cracked up to be?

Wilkiwoo

Hi guys, I'm new to PIO, just stumbled upon it by mistake but boy am I glad I did! Lots of useful advice I could have done with a few months ago!

Anyway I'm just wondering if oz is all its cracked up to be? I've got a life changing decision to make in the coming weeks and would be thankful of any advice!

I've been offered a good job in Brisbane, I've just received my perm res visa through the company and set to go next year! I'm settled in the uk but always looking for my next adventure.

Help me make my decision a little easier, please!

Yey or nay!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go and have your adventure, if you don't like it (or even if you do but decide you want to go home years down the line), you can always come back. If you've got a job to go to, the move won't eat up ALL your money (some, yes, but not all), so not much to lose, and some great experiences to gain.

I agree with Rock Dr. and PB - have your adventure and nothing to lose if you find it's not for you - but as PB says don't be taken in by the TV programmes which are heavily edited (some of our members have appeared on the programmes and will tell you this). The reality of life in Aus is pretty much as it is in the UK, you work you do your shopping and you have a house to clean, however, for some they find something extra that makes their time here even more enjoyable.

You've nothing to lose as you say, youre "always looking for my next adventure. "

I'm confused though, when you say, " I've just received my perm res visa through the company" What do you mean by that? The company applied on your behalf and paid for it? Or is is that they're just sponsoring you for a 457 and then PR?

Oooooh, so many variables. How old you are, your family ties and responsibilties, your trade/profession, all of these will influence your decision and as everyone's situation is different it really is hard to say do it or don't do it...

Saying this, if you already have a job and PR visa lined up that, in my opinion, is half the battle. It would literally mean you "just" have to build friendships and networks and settle your daily living routine, plus Brisbane is one of the most popular and liked destinations. Have you visited before?

There are folk on here who have the work but can only get the temp visa, or have the PR visa and can't get the work, or who don't have the funds to actually leave... you are probably quite lucky!

Good luck anyway

First question, what do you think it is all cracked up to be?

I am not sure what it is all cracked up to be, to me it was just another first world country. Expect an adventure and a change and you wont be disapointed. If you think australia will make you become sportier, more outdoorsy, better looking or that you will automatically get a better work life balance or a "better lifestyle" then you could be.

It would be a yes from me. Check my other posts out and you will get an explanation of why. It's harder to come now with the exchange rate and price of houses but you don't mention family or kids. If you are single, got your visa, have a job to come to, like the sound and look of Brisbane then I can't think of a reason you wouldn't come.

For me the work life balance has been much better, I and the family are beach and sea lovers, so chose to live close to the beach, I do more outdoor things and sport and I love the lifestyle and friends Aus has given me. You're not going to get everyone liking it for whatever reason, heck I've even heard people here who hate the beach and wouldn't dream of going.

Good luck.:cool:

Hi guys, I'm new to PIO, just stumbled upon it by mistake but boy am I glad I did! Lots of useful advice I could have done with a few months ago!

Anyway I'm just wondering if oz is all its cracked up to be? I've got a life changing decision to make in the coming weeks and would be thankful of any advice!

I've been offered a good job in Brisbane, I've just received my perm res visa through the company and set to go next year! I'm settled in the uk but always looking for my next adventure.

Yey or nay!

my advice would be no! its not all its cracked up to be..we came on holiday and loved it..the problem is the expense when i say expense i mean it..it is utterly shocking ,im all for adventure its what ive done all my life but if your settled in the uk stay put.its very boring here once you have been here a while...we move back in 2 weeks and cannot wait...people say the uk,s in a bad way ...you know what i have never known it any different weather it was when thatcher was butchering the country or blair was invading the middle east i never had anything then so it wont be a problem....factories are closing here just the same...its not all doom and gloom here dont get me wrong there is some nice places but everywhere is the same , the people are rude the driving is shocking and the racism is something you will be took back by

We are in SA and it so different. The driving is more than shocking. Everything costs so much. We have only been here since April and finding things very hard. Its all very 1980"s here. You cannot even buy a car on a sunday everywhere is closed. Than i have to sit back and think why we came. It was for my kids to have a better life and at the minute i can see it. They do however have nice beach"

We are in SA and it so different. The driving is more than shocking. Everything costs so much. We have only been here since April and finding things very hard. Its all very 1980"s here. You cannot even buy a car on a sunday everywhere is closed. Than i have to sit back and think why we came. It was for my kids to have a better life and at the minute i can see it. They do however have nice beach"

when i talk to people back in the uk they say you must be mad coming home you live near a nice beach?????? we dont live on the beach its a myth that we only found when we moved here

when i talk to people back in the uk they say you must be mad coming home you live near a nice beach?????? we dont live on the beach its a myth that we only found when we moved here

It's not a myth, you choose where you want to live. We always wanted to be near a beach and chose to do it, others like the hills or Swan Valley so choose that. Seeing as we were moving half way round the world we thought we may as well find a house and suburb we would be happy in.

If you genuinely seek adventure buy a landrover/motorbike and drive from the UK to China and back again taking a year.

Moving elsewhere to experience the groundhog day working life elsewhere isnt going to satisfy your need for adventure

As dustyroad states there are plenty of places to seek adventure,cheaper and less disruptive to your present life. Nobody can answer your question without more background. If you you have the job already to come to ....then why not? Just don't burn your bridges if you want to return. Pretty much similar when one takes into account the trade offs........Two bob each way. The cost of housing is to my mind the big deterrent in OZ. The social conservatism would follow.....If I was in position in UK with a decent life...I wouldn't trade it for OZ these days.....but then I know Australia. If I hadn't been here I can see why folk would be tempted.

Yey or nay!

It's not for everyone, but you seem to have everything going for you and the right attitude, plus the job must be pretty good so you have enough money to live comfortably.

I'd go for it everytime, you only live once.

Thanks guys for your replies, some very useful sound opinions! I applied for a 120 visa and now have a PR visa in my passport, I just filled out the forms my company wanted me to! I'm 28 yo and in a relationship, which makes things a little harder as my other half is not as keen due to a family illness, which is completely understandable! I'm just worried that if I don't take it now the opportunity will fade away! Mmm the horrible waiting/deciding game continues! Thanks all for advice, I know I should go with my gut feeling and just go for it! With regards to things to loose, I'd loose my job in the UK and wouldn't be able to return to it if I had to come back. Decisions decisions!

Just have no regrets

In years to come you'll be

I wish I'd gone for it

Or

I wish I hadn't done it

I'm so glad I decided to go

or

Why did I do it

Not an easy answer

But you're the one that has to decide and I hope you make the right decision for YOU!!!

Brisbane is lovely and I am sure you will like it. Yes I think Australia is all it is cracked up to be and more- but a lot depends on you and your attitudes. Aussies just hate to be criticized ( even when it is justified)- they are very patriotic and different from many in the UK in that respect. Sure, they will have a good whinge about government etc but underneath- there is a patriot!

Wanted to move to Oz since my first trip to Oz aged 6, many visits and 28 years later here I am, in Sydney, where all my dreams started. Lived here for 10 months so far and its def not all its cracked up to be. Very different from whv, long holidays, and not what it used to be all those years ago.

It could be fun for a few years but long term!??! The jury is out!!

Remember that people on this forum are usually either about to go to Aus, or don't like it there and want to come home. The people, and there are a lot of people, that have emigrated and love life over there are more than likely out there loving life instead of in front of a computer. :)

Remember that people on this forum are usually either about to go to Aus, or don't like it there and want to come home. The people, and there are a lot of people, that have emigrated and love life over there are more than likely out there loving life instead of in front of a computer. :)

You mean out there working or watching tv, did not find Aussies any different from poms, work 5 or 6 days a week and crash knackered on their day off, don't think it's true also that most of PIO members don't like oz, where did you get that notion from, I found about a 50/50 split when I was over there with poms who liked it or disliked it.

Oh don't be so ridiculous and not to mention tedious. You think happy people never get onto a computer, it is the 21st century for goodness sake, do you think happy people are only in the house when they sleep, never sit down or watch TV. Grow up.

Archived