Is Oz all it's cracked up to be?

Wilkiwoo

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Spot on again, it doesnt seem unreasonable when looking for advice that the person giving the advice should have first hand experience, if giving advice on living in a country it must be fair to expect they have lived in that country ? That isnt being unreasonable is it ? It isnt enough to just rehash figures from years ago.

I never give advice about living in Australia, I do repeat what others say and what my relatives and many friends who live there say also, if you don't like it you can always put me on ignore.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spot on again, it doesnt seem unreasonable when looking for advice that the person giving the advice should have first hand experience, if giving advice on living in a country it must be fair to expect they have lived in that country ? That isnt being unreasonable is it ? It isnt enough to just rehash figures from years ago.

Which figures do you refer to?

Depends on if you want facts or fiction I guess

I can give advice I've heard on this forum or give my own advice on what I've done here myself

Giving someone else's answer I've read on here would not be right

There are so many members on this great forum with up to date advice so surely anyone moving to Australia would want that from the horses mouth so to say rather than old info

I know I would want to know that because people are taking a massive step in their lives

Not after making friends or enemy's but stating my honest opinion

Howard

Honest opinions are good howard,i dont think ive seen you being snide on here,this post is no exception,so fair do's.

However,in defense of jim and others who dont actually "live" in aus,i dont think ive seen him or others giving advice on subjects were "living there" would probably need to be a prerequisite,things like schooling,social life,work/occupational differences etc?

I see him and others quoting things that are in the public domain,IE wage rises in Aus,the 2.2 thing to have the same wage/standard of living.

I also see him and others quoting facts (or opinions)from posters who "are" living in Aus.

So i dont agree 100% that you need to be living in Aus to have an opinion on certain aspects of life there tbh,living there might give your opinion a bit more credence tho i suppose,but i dont think others opinions aren't worth a carrot if not living there(on some subjects at least)

For instance,ive never owned a white rhino(that i can remember),but i have an opinion on them,theyre not white,they spend half the day grazing,and theyre big,if yer see what im getting at:wubclub:

I've never aimed my posts at one person

I always give my views on what I read and believe

For me it's obvious someone living in Australia can give better more accurate views as they're actually doing it day in day out in the cold of winter and the heat of summer etc

I also agree on someone actually making the move to Australia now things will have changed so my advice might be wrong now

I just wish some members would actually refrain from posting old info and let others post up to date advice to save on confusion

Again my views

I won't put anyone on ignore why would i do that and spoil all the fun

All I will do is give my honest opinion on posts I feel are out dated or wrong

Can't see the point in stopping doing that

I'm here to offer advice on where I live

Howard

ive never owned a white rhino(that i can remember),but i have an opinion on them,theyre not white,they spend half the day grazing,and theyre big,if yer see what im getting at:wubclub:

But offering advice on a white rhino is slightly different to offering advice to someone moving to the other side of the world

imho

I never give advice about living in Australia, I do repeat what others say and what my relatives and many friends who live there say also, if you don't like it you can always put me on ignore.

That month you spent with me Hoffy, asking all those questions................... getting answers from those who've lived here for yonks.........................seems to count for jack shlt as far as some are concerned.

Ya know?.....................some tosser (It was the mother in law actually) once said to me. "To experience the true palate of a Claret, you need to stand on the banks of the Garonne savouring the countryside whilst drinking" (or summat like that). For one, she was using an english term for a french wine whilst pontificating about France, and for two..................the constant harping on about you having no idea how it is here as you don't live here, reminds me of her...............you have a lot to answer for................what a load of bloody tosh.................of course your experiences here whilst on holiday are valid.................you may not have the full picture, but that's no excuse for the constant attacks on you, or anyone else, expressing your opinions and knowledge gained from others' experiences.

That month you spent with me Hoffy, asking all those questions................... getting answers from those who've lived here for yonks.........................seems to count for jack shlt as far as some are concerned.

Ya know?.....................some tosser (It was the mother in law actually) once said to me. "To experience the true palate of a Claret, you need to stand on the banks of the Garonne savouring the countryside whilst drinking" (or summat like that). For one, she was using an english term for a french wine whilst pontificating about France, and for two..................the constant harping on about you having no idea how it is here as you don't live here, reminds me of her...............you have a lot to answer for................what a load of bloody tosh.................of course your experiences here whilst on holiday are valid.................you may not have the full picture, but that's no excuse for the constant attacks on you, or anyone else, expressing your opinions and knowledge gained from others' experiences.

Try and remember that johndoe when people give their opinions that you do not agree with.

You seem to think it's all about the hoff

Not true

I'm stating my opinion on posts from members who do not live in Australia and there are quite a few on here

I have friends and family who live near the hoff as that's where i was brought up and I know how much it has changed over the years

So would I have valid up to date opinions on that area NOOOOO

My brother who lives in Aus works in Dewsbury for 6-8 weeks a year as his company have a base their

All I'm trying to say is things have changed here like in the UK

For someone coming to Aus on holiday great I never did that but I did a reccie yes but not an holiday so wouldn't be able to help but the hoff could

See what I mean

I buy petrol, shopping, pay bills, struggle with cold and heat, and the list could go on

All first hand knowledge again this is on the Gold Coast so I wouldn't offer my advice to someone in Victoria as so different

So if you want to call me an attacker get your facts right first

Howard

But offering advice on a white rhino is slightly different to offering advice to someone moving to the other side of the world

imho

Not if its just repeating facts that are in the public domain,besides,theres loads of other view points on here to garner info from,i'm sure people dont base a move 10,000 miles away on one posters views

Not if its just repeating facts that are in the public domain,besides,theres loads of other view points on here to garner info from,i'm sure people dont base a move 10,000 miles away on one posters views

Agreed

Some see a post count and think wow they know there stuff

Not after falling out with anyone just want members to get the full picture of how life is here and its not easy and depending on your wage can be very difficult

The fact that Hoffy wants to live in Australia isn't the point. Good luck to him if he gets there, I wish him well. I know there are plenty of people who enjoy their life out there and wouldn't dream of coming back, some don't though. The point is, he hasn't lived there, only had holidays. I can't understand why you get so defensive about it all? The constant attacks as you put it, are because people don't agree with what he's saying. He obviously thinks it's great place to live, so that's good. However, until he lives it, he will never know for sure. That's why people get fed up with the constant drip feed of reasons why Australia is such a great place to live. Many on here have lived there and know it wasn't for them.

Agreed

Some see a post count and think wow they know there stuff

Not after falling out with anyone just want members to get the full picture of how life is here and its not easy and depending on your wage can be very difficult

I understand that,i dont expect marshmallow trees in aus btw,too much of a cynic tbh,all i'm saying is members on here have a wide variety of posters and opinions on here to read between the lines and form a picture,one posters views wont be the deciding factor in what they expect of aus.

Just think we need a bit of perspective at times as to how influential one persons posts will be on others,thats all.

Anyway,i'm off,up in 5 hrs(touchwood!)

Try and remember that johndoe when people give their opinions that you do not agree with.

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion, or in having that opinion challenged. It's when folk state that you have no right to an opinion, which, if you read my post properly, without bias, (highly doubtful) you should, if your grey matter is working properly, see exactly what I was getting at

You seem to think it's all about the hoff

Howard, I was addressing Hoffs post so yes, my answer was to Hoff. It had nothing at all to do with what you posted edit: and now i've read the whole of your post, rather surprised that you would think i am addressing you. I'm sick and tired of seeing him come under attack for simply expressing himself. Whether I agree with him or not, is irrelevant...............most of the time I don't............he's "harmless" (and I mean that in a nice way Jim), often funny, sometimes boring, sometimes "borderline" but never malicious, but some folk on this forum are absolutely vitriolic about him and it's not on.

Howard, I was addressing Hoffs post so yes, my answer was to Hoff. It had nothing at all to do with what you posted edit: and now i've read the whole of your post, rather surprised that you would think i am addressing you. I'm sick and tired of seeing him come under attack for simply expressing himself. Whether I agree with him or not, is irrelevant...............most of the time I don't............he's "harmless" (and I mean that in a nice way Jim), often funny, sometimes boring, sometimes "borderline" but never malicious, but some folk on this forum are absolutely vitriolic about him and it's not on.

I don't dislike the guy at all

But did you not see this post he made

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by The Ropey HOFF viewpost-right.png

Thanks for the advice, you have only been on here five minutes, but I have been on here over 4 years and there's not much I don't know, people earn on average over 40% to what the average Brit earns, it's a fact and most on PIO are skilled migrants and will get paid at least that well.

Post is found here --> http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/renting-real-estate/163969-omfg-3.html

That was great advice wasn't it

Guest Guest76386
And show me an aussie who has nothing to whinge about the UK!

Can show you many aussies that dont whinge bout the Uk Melza. Dozens In fact. We come here and appreciate everything it has to offer...I know its different, has differnt history, culture, expenses and living styles, thats why I appreciate it like I do. Its different. I didnt come here to see another version of Australia, I came here to see Britian for all its worth. I know I'll be back here in a few years...

The fact that Hoffy wants to live in Australia isn't the point. Good luck to him if he gets there, I wish him well. I know there are plenty of people who enjoy their life out there and wouldn't dream of coming back, some don't though. The point is, he hasn't lived there, only had holidays. I can't understand why you get so defensive about it all? The constant attacks as you put it, are because people don't agree with what he's saying. He obviously thinks it's great place to live, so that's good. However, until he lives it, he will never know for sure. That's why people get fed up with the constant drip feed of reasons why Australia is such a great place to live. Many on here have lived there and know it wasn't for them.

Agreed, it may not be for them, but that "drip feed" as you put it, is just Jim..............it's his personna..............there's nothing malicious in it, unlike some of the responses...............If someone can't stand the 'drip feed' then put on ignore but why attack a guy for how he posts/who he is, when it isn't malicious? If you think of him as the kid at school with NHS specs and buck teeth, then you'll see how/why I view some of those who give him stick as verging on bullying..............he's totally harmless, just different and not deserving of being an "outsider"................jeeeeeeeez, I hope Jim doesn't see this as patronising. I just don't know why folk view him as they do? he gets on my tlts at times but that says more about me than him.

I don't dislike the guy at all

But did you not see this post he made

Post is found here --> http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/renting-real-estate/163969-omfg-3.html

That was great advice wasn't it

No I didn't see it, and I agree he was a bit OTT there. As for the advice, then if there's disagreement with it, it's there to be challenged............the advice that is.

No I didn't see it, and I agree he was a bit OTT there. As for the advice, then if there's disagreement with it, it's there to be challenged............the advice that is.

But he shouldn't post such things especially to new member to be challenged or not

But he shouldn't post such things especially to new member to be challenged or not

Mate, there's folk generalising, and giving improper info all the time...................it just seems that Jim gets singled out. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be challenged, just questioning the fact that some seem to think that he has no right to post about oz when he doesn't/hasn't lived there. There's folk on here who post about the UK but who haven't lived there for yonks. His right to post is exactly the same as anyone on the forum. It's up to the reader of his posts to dismiss them or not, but to question his "right' to post, as long as those posts aren't abusive, is not on. (IMHO)

Problem is that they are not facts, just one papers opinion, the next opinion has another country at the top of the list..it's a load of crap to be honest

It's not one paper's opinion: they quote assessments done by organisations who do that sort of comparison professionally.

You don't have to agree with the criteria they use but such comparisons may be useful for some people.

Archived