Guest guest36187

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Most if not all potential skilled immigrants already have to take the IELTS test. This comprises 4 components, first 3 are taken one after the other, listening, reading, writing an essay in test conditions, and then speaking part separately. It’s not straight forward. I took a practise one when my son was applying and “failed” to get enough points. I think it’s a higher than Primary school level.

So I don’t understand all this ‘new’ news about immigrants will have to take an English test.

Exactly Ramot. Not only the main applicant, but everyone over 18 migrating with the skilled migrant is asked to sit for the IELTS. So all this talk about new English exams are all nonsense. It’s just to please the Voters. Everything they say nowadays is focused on the elections. 

Edited by Bear2015

44 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I think it’s because they seem to want to apply it to ALL applicants for permanent residency whether skilled workers partners or parents. It’s very recent news - I’m guessing family streams up to now have not been subject to this test? 

44 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I think it’s because they seem to want to apply it to ALL applicants for permanent residency whether skilled workers partners or parents. It’s very recent news - I’m guessing family streams up to now have not been subject to this test? 

I’m sure you are right, but There was at least a 3 month wait for a test when my son took it, so the thought of thousands more having to take some sort of a test with test centres and immigration not coping at the moment its a potential nightmare scenario. Probably years away like all the new theoretical grand ideas they keep putting forward.

think about it appropriately 160,000/190,000  (never know if that’s the annual total including families, or excluding families?) being tested every year, on shore? plus family members? It’s just not viable.

At the moment if you are over 60 you are deemed too senile to take the citizen test,  so will us oldies be exempt again from taking the new test?

• Like 1

I think an English test is a really good idea. I know it’s easy for us Poms, but Malcolm Turnbull is making sense and it has to be better for Australia. Although if it’s to be a local exam (like the medical) I guess it will take years to setup and probably will not impact on most of us here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

I think an English test is a really good idea. I know it’s easy for us Poms, but Malcolm Turnbull is making sense and it has to be better for Australia. Although if it’s to be a local exam (like the medical) I guess it will take years to setup and probably will not impact on most of us here.

Seriously who is going to have to take a “new” test? Those  Who don’t already have to take the IELTS test? Therefore those under 18’s wives of immigrants, parents of immigrants, refugees? What sort of test could possibly  cover everyone. Smacks of discrimination to me. Don’t pass have to leave?  

New test centres set up. People needed to be trained to test everyone.  Doubt the cost will be justified, just to send some people home. Set up test centres off shore, in every country? 

Its a nonsense vote catcher.

My children had to take the English test for the skills migration, they sat the test in their home country and I am pretty sure all skilled migration needs to undertake this, regardless of which country you come from.  So test centres are already in place as this is not a new concept, just another hoop we may have to jump through if we want to be with our children !!

29 minutes ago, ramot said:

Seriously who is going to have to take a “new” test? Those  Who don’t already have to take the IELTS test? Therefore those under 18’s wives of immigrants, parents of immigrants, refugees? What sort of test could possibly  cover everyone. Smacks of discrimination to me. Don’t pass have to leave?  

New test centres set up. People needed to be trained to test everyone.  Doubt the cost will be justified, just to send some people home. Set up test centres off shore, in every country? 

Its a nonsense vote catcher.

If you are an Australian and apply for a visa for a future husband or wife (or partner), is there already an English test for this type of visa?

16 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

If you are an Australian and apply for a visa for a future husband or wife (or partner), is there already an English test for this type of visa?

My daughter didn’t have one, she is English, and no interview either, I genuinely don’t know if there is a test for non English partners, but she is having the usual interview to confirm her details before sitting the Citizen test. I can only assume it would be difficult/impossible  for a non English speaking person to get citizenship if as non English speaking is unlikely to read English so the test would be impossible.

1 hour ago, LBee said:

My children had to take the English test for the skills migration, they sat the test in their home country and I am pretty sure all skilled migration needs to undertake this, regardless of which country you come from.  So test centres are already in place as this is not a new concept, just another hoop we may have to jump through if we want to be with our children !!

I realise that, but  it’s the increased numbers (wives plus several children) who might now need to be tested that will further clog up the system. Not sure how many test centres there are and how long the wait was for their test,, but in Australia there was a 3 month wait for a place.There is also a concern about how rigorous the conditions might be in some countries. I don’t know if the conditions have changed? but everyone had to use a pencil when my son sat his. An eraser could easily change some answers.

Edited by ramot

Ramot in your post you noted that there could be wives and several children who might now need to be tested.  I think we need to understand what visa's are being applied for before we can make any assumptions on what may or may not happen.  I understood this thread I was responding to was for parent migration to be with their children (now  I am not sure if I am responding to the correct thread), and therefore it will be the "parents" and potentially some siblings who this may affect.  Until we have confirmation of what may happen in the future, we can only surmise and I surmised that it could be another hoop my husband and myself may have to jump through in order to be with our children in Australia.

29 minutes ago, LBee said:

Ramot in your post you noted that there could be wives and several children who might now need to be tested.  I think we need to understand what visa's are being applied for before we can make any assumptions on what may or may not happen.  I understood this thread I was responding to was for parent migration to be with their children (now  I am not sure if I am responding to the correct thread), and therefore it will be the "parents" and potentially some siblings who this may affect.  Until we have confirmation of what may happen in the future, we can only surmise and I surmised that it could be another hoop my husband and myself may have to jump through in order to be with our children in Australia.

If you refer back to the previous page you will note that another poster referred to the new potential English tests, and that several of us have responded with our thoughts. Often on any thread on PIO posts go off the main thread, digress and then return.

The waiting time for the parent visa is now so much longer than we expected so perhaps we get a bit bored with the wait so that’s why post about different things to do with immigration from time to time.

i am aware that the thread is about the parent visa, it’s been going a long time, and I am in the queue, and we all try to help each other. As I have already lived in Australia for 15 years, there are some things that I have experienced that I can help with, lots that I don’t know and appreciate other posters experiences.

Fingers crossed we all get a nice surprise one day and get our visas sooner than expected.

• Like 7

LBee If you look at the link it seems to imply it’s for ALL permanent  visas, including parent visas which is why I posted it. We are all waiting and wondering why things are taking so long so as Ramot said we occasionally post about other news which we think could be relevant or of interest to other members of PIO. We all come together to share experiences, ask questions , voice different opinions and yes even have a good whinge! I really learn a lot from PIO and find it a great help on the ever lengthening journey to a parent visa

• Like 6

Hi All,

I have question about parent visa queue (non contribution). Sorry if it sounds cruel, but due to very long waiting period it is possible that applicant died. I don't thing that relatives carry to inform Aus government about this. So does queue goes to next applicant is such case?

10 minutes ago, Khrystyna said:

Hi All,

I have question about parent visa queue (non contribution). Sorry if it sounds cruel, but due to very long waiting period it is possible that applicant died. I don't thing that relatives carry to inform Aus government about this. So does queue goes to next applicant is such case?

Seriously this concern was wandering all Time when I was in India. 

I just sent a test email to PVC and received the auto reply below:

"PROCESSING CONTRIBUTORY PARENT VISAS

In the 2017-18 Migration Programme year, 7175 Contributory Parent visa places are available for applicants applying from in and outside Australia.  Due to high numbers of Contributory Parent visa applications lodged since 2014, the processing time for new applications received is currently in excess of 48 months.

·         OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application. 

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 5 May 2015."

Kev

• Sad 1

On 20/07/2018 at 19:24, SusieRoo said:

If you're an Australian, you aren't applying for a visa.  The spouse/partner is the applicant and at the moment there's no English test for partner visas, so they could currently migrate and eventually become a citizen without speaking a word of English.

22 hours ago, Khrystyna said:

Hi All,

Death of the applicant is one of the very few acceptable reasons to get a refund of the application fee, so although it's probably not high on the family's list of things to do, they should in order to get the application fee back.  It would also then remove that application from the queue and everyone else waiting would move up one place in line for a visa.

32 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

If you're an Australian, you aren't applying for a visa.  The spouse/partner is the applicant and at the moment there's no English test for partner visas, so they could currently migrate and eventually become a citizen without speaking a word of English.

Not sure about the citizen part, as you have an interview and unless exempt for some reason,, eg over 60, you have to sit the test. not really possible to pas if you don’t speak English 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ramot said:

Not sure about the citizen part, as you have an interview and unless exempt for some reason,, eg over 60, you have to sit the test. not really possible to pas if you don’t speak English 

6 band each LRW Nd speaking 

1 hour ago, MaggieMay24 said:

That is not true. Having done the citizenship test and interview myself (a native English speaker), there is absolutely no way that anybody can pass either of these citizenship requirements without a good level of English. They can become permanent residents, and remain so forever without having to complete an English test, but not citizens.

• Like 2

Just to add a different perspective to this. When dealing with non english migrants in a health capacity we are obliged to provide a registered interpreter. They are very expensive, the quality of the interaction can be compromised and takes longer, thus increasing the cost of the worker and increasing waittimes for others. When I left my last job in Aus over a third of our clients required an interpreter. Family are not used as we have to be sure the client is being fairly represented.

Hi Amber,

I understand people have different needs and some may take longer than others, the Government have been doing this a long time, now granting visas.

I find it very difficult to understand how we can not be able to locate a web site, that gives us a more accurate processing time  for each individual visa.

from what I can see is that it took 5 month to process April 2015 143 visas,

27/12/17 Processing up to 9th April 2015  

23/02 2018                            9th April 2015

19/05/2018                         30th April 2015

Edited by jimbob007