Guest guest36187

Just to let you know Singapore airlines have upped their baggage allowance by 10kg whooooo !!

This news arrived too late for us. We switched to using Etihad as they already give 30kgs. Singapore don't acknowledge customer loyalty, they make it nigh on impossible to use accrued airmiles and their website is unclear on how to spend miles too.

Currently packing lots of chocs and gift in readiness for our trip. Will post on Etihad experience when we arrive in Brissie!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hi All, just wondering if anyone could help with a query. I will shortly be applying for the 143 permanent visa, am here in Brisbane now for nearly a year on the temp 173. Due to circumstances my son had to return home for a while this year, he is back now but I don't think he will make the AU$40k income needed this year i.e. before end of June so that he can be my Assurer of Support. Does anyone know if I can get someone who is not related to me to do this for me or does it have to be a relative. Best of luck to you all waiting I know how hard it is but this website was a great help to me while I was waiting. Arrived last January and it was definitely the right move. I was so lucky too to have made two great friends Angie and Val on this site and we meet up and have become great friends. Looking forward to Val (Vava) joining us next month.

Thanks again, Fran.

Hi All, just wondering if anyone could help with a query. I will shortly be applying for the 143 permanent visa, am here in Brisbane now for nearly a year on the temp 173. Due to circumstances my son had to return home for a while this year, he is back now but I don't think he will make the AU$40k income needed this year i.e. before end of June so that he can be my Assurer of Support. Does anyone know if I can get someone who is not related to me to do this for me or does it have to be a relative. Best of luck to you all waiting I know how hard it is but this website was a great help to me while I was waiting. Arrived last January and it was definitely the right move. I was so lucky too to have made two great friends Angie and Val on this site and we meet up and have become great friends. Looking forward to Val (Vava) joining us next month.

Thanks again, Fran.

Hello Fran.

Your Assurer can be anyone who is happy to act in this capacity. You can also have joint Assurers.

See the info here: http://guidesacts.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_acts/ssg/ssguide-9/ssguide-9.4/ssguide-9.4.3/ssguide-9.4.3.80.html

It is only the Sponsor who needs to be your relative - ie a child of one of the visa applicants.

Best regards.

Just wondered for those of you that did or have relatives that came out prior to the visa being granted on a tourist visa - what sort of travel insurance did you have?

My parents arrive on Monday and they've been so busy these last few weeks I think this may have slipped their mind!

Just wondered for those of you that did or have relatives that came out prior to the visa being granted on a tourist visa - what sort of travel insurance did you have?

My parents arrive on Monday and they've been so busy these last few weeks I think this may have slipped their mind!

We usually have a year long policy but there are still length of stay restrictions with them. Our last one had a 60 day limit. Also their household insurance will also have to be changed if there is nobody living in their uk home for more than a certain number of days. Ask them to check, its not worth ignoring it for the sake of a few quid, especially in winter.

Have a lovely time with them xx

We usually have a year long policy but there are still length of stay restrictions with them. Our last one had a 60 day limit. Also their household insurance will also have to be changed if there is nobody living in their uk home for more than a certain number of days. Ask them to check, its not worth ignoring it for the sake of a few quid, especially in winter.

Have a lovely time with them xx

Thanks Vava. They've cancelled their home insurance as they no longer have a home to insure! All their things were packed up on Monday and in the container ready to be shipped as soon as their visa is granted. I've just text mum and they haven't sorted any travel insurance out, said it hadn't occurred to them that they needed to - I guess because in their minds it's not a holiday they are coming to live!

I have found a couple of policies that would be valid for 6 months in Oz for the two of them (hopefully they'll get the visa within that time, been waiting 15 months so far), £214 being the cheapest which I didn't think was too bad, but I can feel resistance from their end - they are just forking out so much at the moment I can see how a few more hundred pounds that they didn't think they were going to spend is annoying.

In that case maybe think about taking out some health insurance when they arrive. Having said that, doesn't Australia and the UK have a reciprocal health care agreement? Your home policy may cover their belongings as they will be staying with you so might not need a huge policy anyway. I thought they were only visiting this trip not making the final journey. Lucky them, our house still not sold so we have to come back to the uk in January.....boo! X

Thanks Vava. They've cancelled their home insurance as they no longer have a home to insure! All their things were packed up on Monday and in the container ready to be shipped as soon as their visa is granted. I've just text mum and they haven't sorted any travel insurance out, said it hadn't occurred to them that they needed to - I guess because in their minds it's not a holiday they are coming to live!

I have found a couple of policies that would be valid for 6 months in Oz for the two of them (hopefully they'll get the visa within that time, been waiting 15 months so far), £214 being the cheapest which I didn't think was too bad, but I can feel resistance from ther end - they are just forking out so much at the moment I can see how a few more hundred pounds that they didn't think they were going to spend is annoying.

Just be careful if it's a one way trip and read the small print. Many companies stipulate that it must be a return trip. We used the Post Office when we came over - they do one way trip insurance, but we had to ring them, we couldn't do it online. You can select how long you want to be insured for.

Just be careful if it's a one way trip and read the small print. Many companies stipulate that it must be a return trip. We used the Post Office when we came over - they do one way trip insurance, but we had to ring them, we couldn't do it online. You can select how long you want to be insured for.

Ok thanks, didn't realise that. Although they are going back in November next year for my grandma's 80th birthday, so could be classed as a sort of return!

Hi Tabitha, I have just filled in my form 80 in readiness. What a pain. It's hard to remember what I did last week let alone since leaving school. Still after many page reprints I have done it!! Still waiting for a CO now 16 months!!!!!! feel like I am in limbo. Good luck with your application.

Hi Genie1. Any news on your CO. we are still waiting too and are behind you. Our acknowledgement date 27.7.2012. We have a buyer for our bungalow and are raring to go. It feels like our whole life on hold! Earlier in the year people had their visas granted within 14 months so just our luck!!!!

Hi Nuttynan (great name by the way), No news either I'm afraid. We made a mistake with our acknowledgement date. It is 13/08/12 !! Got confused with the lodgement date so we are in fact about 2 weeks behind you. Not even sure if this makes a difference as we don't know how/ what order applications are dealt with.We have applied for the 173 temp visa by the way.

I am now resigned to the fact that we will not be there for Christmas as we had hoped.

Don't know about you but it makes me feel very powerless in this situation. We are at the mercy of the bureaucrats and there's nothing we can do except obsessively check e-mails and overthink things.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) we don't have a property to sell so don't have that consideration. Still makes me feel a bit sick at the thought of giving the Australian government all the money I have and probably ever will have.

Just hope its worth it. But there's only one way to find out!

Good luck. Are you on the tracker under another name by the way?

:cool:Hi Nuttynan,

We have applied for CPV143.Our lodgment date is 29/06/2012 and our acknowledgement date is 13/08/2012. Since then nothing. I am frustrated.Money is ready to pay them .Why they do not want to take it.Even once I reach their I will be working and paying taxes to the government.

Hi Genie, No I am not on the tracker cos it doesn't seem to move so depresses me even more! I saw you on there. We have applied for a 173 and are going to Adelaide. I just want to get going now. When I get a CO I will let everyone know. I have done our Police Checks and filled in form 80 so only the medicals to do!!!!

:cool:Hi Nuttynan,

We have applied for CPV143.Our lodgment date is 29/06/2012 and our acknowledgement date is 13/08/2012. Since then nothing. I am frustrated.Money is ready to pay them .Why they do not want to take it.Even once I reach their I will be working and paying taxes to the government.

Hi Boss yes I agree we have our money ready and waiting too. Let us face it won't earn any interest here so hurry up Immi !!!!!

Hello Genie 1 We are a year behind you. Had acknowledgement in August this year. We had various letters, plus a time guide line. We were asked to complete Form 80 and send it ASAP, so once again they have changed the way they do things. Also, someone behind us was given their HAP number plus a bar code for their medicals, although this is for a 173 and we are applying for the 143. We have just a basic letter which says the panel doctor has to send the info over. So we will just go with the flow and worry about it nearer the time!

Hi golks

Im almost back in the land of the living :-)

After 2 cancellations I finally had my surgery on 1st October where they replaced a disc in my neck long recovery and had some set backs with pain level but X-ray showed everything is where it should be and further MRI arranged for 16th December to make sure. Started seeing an Osteopath on Friday who can hopefully help with the pains (with the blessing of my Neuro Surgeon) and even better news I can actually eat normal solid food as long as I take my time so weight going back on slowly. I forgot how good a simple ham sandwich tasted :-)

All in all I'm in a much better place than I was 2 years ago and as soon as I have this pain under control I'll be booking our long awaited flights hopefully in the first half of 2014.

Hope you are all doing well.

Phoebe x