• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its seems this series of WDU was done in two stages. One has the cost of the houses coming out of an envelope and the others are just a sheet of paper turned over. Beats me why they show people a 2 bedroomed house knowning full well they need at least a 3 bedroomed house to start with. From the 1st series WDU has given only a very basic idea of what Oz has available across houses and jobs and lifestyle. It is simple enough to go onto OZ estate agents websites and do checks from the comfort of ones UK lounge to get an idea. This series suggests to me that the BBC have chosen in the main couples that are at opposite ends of wanting to emigrate. One does and the other does not. In 2012 it is a big step to make considering the now catastrophic exchange rate and watching the series there are I believe a lot of hidden expenses that do not get a mention.

When will people realise that they show them 3 houses, one they can afford, one they want (dream house), and one which is the average cost of a home there (the true cost of houses).

I.e their from up north and have a budget of say £230k and want to move to a 4 bed house with a pool in the middle of Sydney...:SLEEP:

So they show them a 2 bed flat for £280k (which is still over their budget as there is nowt in Sydney for 230k), then they show them their dream house for £525k then they show them the average, say £395k.

Then the couple say something really clever like "this house ain't worth £395k you could get a mansion in Stoke for that"

1. It is worth it

2. And yes you could

Basically try having a look at London prices, if you cant afford what you want there then you prob cant get what you want in Sydney/Perth etc...

The cost of an average a 1 bed flat in London is around £250k (for a half decent one, not Ex la, and in a half decent area)

People need to be more realistic............

It would be nice to see someone with like a million Dollars to spend!

JTC

Guest sal 222
They did not let us keep them and they were really wrong with the costingn stuff anyway so would not be much use. There are lots of threads on here re costing and you can look at supermarkets other shops for food etc.

Tina, Family of Five

When we were on the show the cost of living bit was thrown together and although useful as we realised some things are so much more expensive then we thought it's not to be taken too seriously. I agree with the other comments have a look around on line and do the maths in the same way you would budgeting where ever you live. I have noticed high cost items here are;- running a car (each!), toiletries, bedding and white goods. However, shopping local at farmers markets is the way to go...lots of lovely fresh food supporting local people...Like most things over here don't expect to do things the same as you have at home....I have just put up a bog site which shows real life interviews of people making the move - and people on the BBC WDU programme ..it's nothing like poms in oz which is just fantastic..it's more about peoples 'real life experience' - stories really (like a book on line). Poms in Oz is such a fantastic resource for us - anyway check it out feedback would be great - Sal

Guest Sherlock Zones

Hi, we watch the programme and always wonder why the family gets to view houses well outside of their price range and why they dont know the price till they have looked around, its not as if you would go looking at houses in the UK without knowing price beforehand is it? Also how many people actually buy a house straight away?we plan to rent for 6-12 months so that we are more agile with location and jobs - any views?

Hi, we watch the programme and always wonder why the family gets to view houses well outside of their price range and why they dont know the price till they have looked around, its not as if you would go looking at houses in the UK without knowing price beforehand is it? Also how many people actually buy a house straight away?we plan to rent for 6-12 months so that we are more agile with location and jobs - any views?

Because its supposed to make good TV

Guest sal 222

Oh and by the way...our 'WDU Mills Family 'revisited is on in the UK this Friday at 9.15am...you guys will see it before us....let me know what it's like please.............Sal

Guest sal 222

We are renting - I think most people do to start with...Being on the programme was a fantastic opportunity but at the end of the day the BBC is about making TV and the constant 'will they' 'wont they' is all part of it... I would recommend the experience to anyone though..for me it got my husband out there to see what life could offer months before we could afford the trip ourselves....I will always be grateful to the beeb for that..Sal

Guest WaltzingBack

I've watched this series with interest. I cannot fathom why the researchers would choose areas which are clearly unaffordable and fuss over the cost and desirability of the accommodation on arrival - it hardly matters longer term. Also, why do they make such a fuss of seeing them when they get off the plane? Clearly it's a long, tiresome journey but rather obviously to all, essential.

As an Aussie based in the UK currently, I grow tired of the negative vibe this show generates from the word go. Granted, the presenter is clearly filming somewhere off The Whitsundays and is doing a generic 'XXX have to deal with the harsh truth etc...' Perhaps the show would benefit from a new format:

A cost analysis on the screen from the word go incorporating total funds available.

Occupation/future occupation(s) and possible incomes both starter and future. % Chances of local(ish) employment.

Lifestyle factors/desires

Housing needs/ideals

Schooling/childcare wants

I'd like to see the above matched with location. Simple really!

Less landing time, accommodation time and more re:childcare options and meeting up with families who have made the move locally. Drop the negative attiude and the whole drama cue ' this is scary stuff' and just embrace it BBC!....Rant over :)

I wonder just how much of British tax payers money is laid out for WDU every year. Nicki Chapman as the presenter I understand never meets the actual people as the filming is done at different times. That said, for the first time in some of the current programmes she has followed up on the families return to UK and met them. As posted earlier it would seem this current series has been filmed in two seperate formats and then presented as one series. Started today 30th January, WDU Revisited. What a waste of time. The last 5 to 10 minutes is all that is new to what has been shown before and only to enlighten what happened afterwards.

Watched the WDU Revisited this morning (Wednesday 1st Feb) with the Cliff family from Leeds. I think it is the first WDU that I have watched with a couple who are actually natural and above all else very sensible compared to a vast majority of WDU's. They looked at Oz as it should be looked at and I wish them well.

Started today 30th January, WDU Revisited. What a waste of time. The last 5 to 10 minutes is all that is new to what has been shown before and only to enlighten what happened afterwards.

In todays one they weren't even IN oz yet so i found that a bit pointless. Very tempted to fast forward to the end so see it they're there yet and 'living the dream' or thinking they made a terrible decision by moving out there.

Glad everyones moaning about wdu,thought it were just me that fast forwarded wdu revisited to last 10 mins.Also why show family of four plus two bedroom appartments! Surely someone will come up with ba new format,like the one with phill spencer,anyway worse things happen at sea..............................oy pablo,come on

Guest Cliffys
Watched the WDU Revisited this morning (Wednesday 1st Feb) with the Cliff family from Leeds. I think it is the first WDU that I have watched with a couple who are actually natural and above all else very sensible compared to a vast majority of WDU's. They looked at Oz as it should be looked at and I wish them well.

Thank you we haven't seen ourselves yet so no idea what they have included :-p We have been here 4 months now and tanning nicely although the Queensland weather is a bit unpredicatable at the moment so where not able to get to the beach as often as we would like. :biggrin:

Guest Pathfinder

"When we were on the show the cost of living bit was thrown together and although useful as we realised some things are so much more expensive then we thought it's not to be taken too seriously. I agree with the other comments have a look around on line and do the maths in the same way you would budgeting where ever you live. I have noticed high cost items here are;- running a car (each!), toiletries, bedding and white goods. However, shopping local at farmers markets is the way to go...lots of lovely fresh food supporting local people...Like most things over here don't expect to do things the same as you have at home....I have just put up a bog site which shows real life interviews of people making the move - and people on the BBC WDU programme ..it's nothing like poms in oz which is just fantastic..it's more about peoples 'real life experience' - stories really (like a book on line). Poms in Oz is such a fantastic resource for us - anyway check it out feedback would be great - Sal"

Hi Sal, saw the programme today and enjoyed watching and hearing your views/feelings of Oz. The decision to move isn't easy for anyone is it? with everyone having ties whether be it family or Business.

Meeting people already there giving words of wisdom gave your OH a positive outlook and I'm glad he decided to go with it as it looks like you made the right decision in the end. Everything seems to have slotted into place for you and the family, selling the house, Business and your OH finding a new job in Byron Bay.

It looks like a lovely place you're living in and it just shows how you can make it work when you don't dwell on things - which is easier said than done!! Looks like you have settled into the community well and getting out there to make the effort.

It would be interesting to read the on-line blog of other people that have made the move, if you are allowed to give me the details?

I wish you and your family all the best for the future.

Karen

Thank you we haven't seen ourselves yet so no idea what they have included :-p We have been here 4 months now and tanning nicely although the Queensland weather is a bit unpredicatable at the moment so where not able to get to the beach as often as we would like. :biggrin:

Hey, I enjoyed the catch up of your show as remember seeing the original one. How are you both and the boys settling in? I know it was the oldest boy which was the most unsure but being children they go to school and make friends so are usually better off then the adults! I hope everything is going well. Has Mr Cliff got back into the work he loves of bricking? I hope you have.

Best of luck, Lucy.

I enjoyed the programme on your family especially as your location was Lennox Head rather than one of the big cities and you both came across very well. This is my first post by the way but I have been looking at the forum for a couple of years or more! We're currently in the process of weighing up all the pros and cons (mainly financial) of moving. SJ

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the WDU Revisited this morning on Andy & Keira Roberts. One can see where the Oz get 'whinging Poms' from. It seems to run in both the families and even Keira Roberts. How does Keira Roberts think other families get on who emigrate and have babies down under without having every relative and friend there ?. I doubt she would be happy if she moved to Burnely from Wigan let alone to Oz.

Why do they keep showing family's that have decided not to go! Although I understand that there will be some who don't make the move I like to see the ones that have and see how they are doing/coping. I think its pointless showing them still here as most of what they show was part of the original WDU that they use to make up most of WDURV and then a short bit of them if they moved and what seems like a long bit if they haven't!!!

In todays one they weren't even IN oz yet so i found that a bit pointless. Very tempted to fast forward to the end so see it they're there yet and 'living the dream' or thinking they made a terrible decision by moving out there.

You can usually tell if they haven't as they vote for UK almost all the way through & are really negative about it! Thank goodness for SKY+ & FF!!!

Watched the WDU Revisited this morning on Andy & Keira Roberts. One can see where the Oz get 'whinging Poms' from. It seems to run in both the families and even Keira Roberts. How does Keira Roberts think other families get on who emigrate and have babies down under without having every relative and friend there ?. I doubt she would be happy if she moved to Burnely from Wigan let alone to Oz.

Which channel? I've just watched WDU from this morning from BBC 1 and it was a couple from Exeter.

Which channel? I've just watched WDU from this morning from BBC 1 and it was a couple from Exeter.

This taken from BBC I Player, Catching up with British families who took part in the relocation series. Andy and Keira Roberts from Wigan visited Australia - are they now raising their child as an Australian? ®. Andy Roberts and pregnant wife Keira from Wigan were desperate to escape the daily grind in the UK in 2009. They spent a week in Australia to see what life there could offer them but, one year later, are they raising their first child as an Australian or are they still in the UK? ®

Looks like different regions show different WDU's. They did this last year as well. This mornings was simply the original with 3 minutes at the end with them still in UK. Waste of time.

This taken from BBC I Player, Catching up with British families who took part in the relocation series. Andy and Keira Roberts from Wigan visited Australia - are they now raising their child as an Australian? ®. Andy Roberts and pregnant wife Keira from Wigan were desperate to escape the daily grind in the UK in 2009. They spent a week in Australia to see what life there could offer them but, one year later, are they raising their first child as an Australian or are they still in the UK? ®

Looks like different regions show different WDU's. They did this last year as well. This mornings was simply the original with 3 minutes at the end with them still in UK. Waste of time.

Could be on the next few days in the North West area then. I'll bear the name in mind :biglaugh:

Archived