Watched 'Phil Down Under' tonight. This is the first time with either the BBC's WDU or Channel 4's 'Phil' that I have watched someone who proves money does not buy class. What a pompous little man he really was. He may well have run a profitable company in Grimsby, but, his attitude in house hunting begged belief. I just wonder if it was simply a show off for all those who knew him in Grimsby ?. That at the end of the day he did not have any intention of buying a house at that price level. He was at the time not working but had $1.3 million or whatever to spend on a house. But, if he spent that he would have to then find a job. Would be interesting to do a 'Revisit' on him and his wife even at this time.

My husband and I thought the same exact thing.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My husband and I thought the same exact thing.

What I did omit to comment. If their monies were $1.3 million or whatever in total as they said, then all I can say, is if it included whatever else monies from UK then it is not very much to fund a lifestyle they want to lead. I think it was all front.

Watched 'Phil Down Under' tonight. This is the first time with either the BBC's WDU or Channel 4's 'Phil' that I have watched someone who proves money does not buy class. What a pompous little man he really was. He may well have run a profitable company in Grimsby, but, his attitude in house hunting begged belief. I just wonder if it was simply a show off for all those who knew him in Grimsby ?. That at the end of the day he did not have any intention of buying a house at that price level. He was at the time not working but had $1.3 million or whatever to spend on a house. But, if he spent that he would have to then find a job. Would be interesting to do a 'Revisit' on him and his wife even at this time.

Agree!!! :biglaugh:

Guest journeyman

We watched and thought the same really,though I think it said they've been renting in Oz for a year?, so he must have a fair bit from the busines sale etc., to be able to take a year out and fund his chosen lifestyle etc. ?, sounded like he was 'burned out' running his business,or so we thought.

But it was way over the top,he said it was his reward for all the work/hours he'd put in building up his business so fair play, but crumbs he came across quite arrogant !.

I really enjoyed seeing the couple selling British 'Fish and Chips' in Oz!,...it looked like they'd hit on a great idea and I wish them every success :biggrin:

I really enjoyed seeing the couple selling British 'Fish and Chips' in Oz!,...it looked like they'd hit on a great idea and I wish them every success :biggrin:

Indeed, the Brum couple showed what could/can be done if you really want to succeed. Considering fish, oil and whatever else is shipped from the UK they must have some turnover. Mind a cod was $14 so it ain't cheap.

Guest wellsfamilyoz
Totally agree! All a show to get on the telly and say 'look at us....'.

Not like the Chumley Warners.....they were a fab couple and showed how it can be done with some hard graft and determination!

Got news for you folks..... The Chumney Warners.......nearly fell of my chair when they appeared on Phils show. You will be seeing them again this Friday on our show in Brisbane!!!!! They were our buddies for the WDU show - cant believe they were on Phils as well. Ironically, they were shown on Friday the 11th - which was the date for our show before it was canceled due to Cyclone Yasi!!! That would have meant that they would have been on twice in one day!!

Small world or small budget - the BBC reckon that the researchers out in Queensland probably collaborate between themselves!

Really feels like the Trueman show -as it did then when we filmed. They are however really nice family. And I can confirm that the fish is superb!

Simon - Wells Family:biggrin:

We watched and thought the same really,though I think it said they've been renting in Oz for a year?, so he must have a fair bit from the busines sale etc., to be able to take a year out and fund his chosen lifestyle etc. ?, sounded like he was 'burned out' running his business,or so we thought.

But it was way over the top,he said it was his reward for all the work/hours he'd put in building up his business so fair play, but crumbs he came across quite arrogant !.

I agree with people's comments. i don't think the couple had any intention to buy - just show off.

What I did find hard to understand was how they decided to go with the option that will mean working more when their entire reason for moving to oz was to get a better family life. IMHO the chap will never be happy - he will always strive for more and if they revisit in 2 years i'm sure they will have a perfect $2million mansion but very little time together as a family. very sad.

lets hope he comes round eventually and realises that life is for living, not working all hours just to get the perfect pad.

Jo

Guest wade&lara
I agree with people's comments. i don't think the couple had any intention to buy - just show off.

What I did find hard to understand was how they decided to go with the option that will mean working more when their entire reason for moving to oz was to get a better family life. IMHO the chap will never be happy - he will always strive for more and if they revisit in 2 years i'm sure they will have a perfect $2million mansion but very little time together as a family. very sad.

lets hope he comes round eventually and realises that life is for living, not working all hours just to get the perfect pad.

Jo

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes I think people use the "we want a better life for our family" reason when what they actually mean is "we want a big house by the sea with a pool". Sad really when there are so many others with much less of a budjet trying to make the move actually with the family life in mind.

I watched the WDU this morning & the only conclusion I can come to is that either the researchers have no idea or it is staged to add to the drama when it comes to property.

The guy, Simon could have got a job for 50k. They had a small budget so they show them 1 dump & two small houses in the suburbs. There are loads of areas within 30 - 40 mins drive from work on the coast that they could afford.

Unlike others on that show, they seemed quite flexible on property. They didn't expect a 4 bed with a pool next to the beach for £200k.

At long last we are now hopefully on the final 5 episodes of Series 5 of WDU. But only 4 are listed.

It will be interesting on the remaining 4 shows as they have changed yet again from what was announced on the 11th February. And, this morning's was announced as, 'a change to the advertised programme' as it started to run.

Tuesday is listed as the Cook family from Wiltshire, Wednesday is listed as the Evans family from Wales and Thursday is listed as the Wilson family from East Yorkshire. There is no listing at this time for Friday.

As with 'BrisDubBris', this mornings couple did not expect to buy a 4 bedroomed, 3 bathroomed, detached on a big plot with a large swimming pool for £100,000. That said chatting to a friend on the Coral Coast and another in Sydney this morning they both said the cost of housing is now starting to border on the ridiculous in most parts of Oz. Not too different to the UK market really.

Another friend sent me an e mail this lunch time from Bargara near Bunderburg in Queensland where he lives. Part of it below.

"In Bargara on new housing estates you have to build a house of over 250 square meters, that is 4-5 bedrooms, large indoor entertaining area, TV room [like a mini picture theater],study and 2 garages under the same roof. On a 800 square meter block you can't drive a boat or a caravan around the back, they stop out the front and you don't have much grass to cut, they are asking $550,000 for these houses. The government are going to bring in regulations that house block's are no bigger than 400 square meters. In the old parts of towns blocks were a 1,000 sqr. A worker now hasn't any hope of owning a house.

House prices, Bargara/Bundaberg vary from $220,000 - $1,000,000. I think the average would be $300,000, still too dear.

Rented houses are ridiculously priced, Bargara for a 1 b/room flat costs $190 per week and houses $300-$400 per week."

Amaroo, are those prices being driven by the mining boom? I would expect so. Most regional places in QLD & WA seem to be getting more expensive.

Bunderberg is where the rum come from !!!!. Also it is part of the sugar cane area and possibly the maize as well. But nothing of any great industry really. WA east of Perth at Kalgoorlie where the gold is mined. Perth (the remotest city in the world) seems to have more people from UK settled there than anywhere else in Oz.

Bunderberg is where the rum come from !!!!. Also it is part of the sugar cane area and possibly the maize as well. But nothing of any great industry really. WA east of Perth at Kalgoorlie where the gold is mined. Perth (the remotest city in the world) seems to have more people from UK settled there than anywhere else in Oz.

Thanks Amaroo, I am actually from Brisbane but I have been in Dublin for a few years.

I wasn't sure what mines they have set up near Bundaberg to drive up prices.

:biggrin:

well I started to watch todays WDU but it's one I already saw on tele a few weeks back!! When everyone else saw the Irish family one.oh well.

They seem to be moving them around again to what is listed. As in a previous post they announced this morning as the programme started it was a change as to what was advertised. Possibly different shows for different regions.

Will Friday bring us the Wells family and their ice cream business in Brisbane ?.

Guest wellsfamilyoz
They seem to be moving them around again to what is listed. As in a previous post they announced this morning as the programme started it was a change as to what was advertised. Possibly different shows for different regions.

Will Friday bring us the Wells family and their ice cream business in Brisbane ?.

I am assured that we will be on --- finally. Just looked on the BBC schedules and we are there for transmission at 9.15. I think probably the programme today was shown again as they only had 4 left to show and wanted to do a weeks run.

Get ready for a Brisbane fest! - remaining shows should all be in a row.:biggrin:

Guest journeyman

I always like the 're-visited' ones too,in the hope that it's a successful move and that 'they' made a go of it.

One that stood out in my mind was the 'nurse' on her own with two young boys,(from Wales I think ~ not sure which series?),...always hoped it was everything they'd wanted it to be and more.

Guest Taylor72
Am I the only person starting to get bored with this now?

There is clearly a difference of opinion and neither side are going to change their views so can you all just move on?

This is supposed to be a friendly forum - people will always have different views and i'm not saying don't express them or where you disagree - but perhaps enough's enough and its time to get back to the main point of the thread or just stop posting

Jo

Well said !!, it is getting out of hand now guys and sometimes a little personal.:SLEEP::SLEEP:

Guest Taylor72
You seem to be slightly behind schedule quoting a post of 15/01/11 by Jobo. A lot of water under the bridge since then.

Thats good to hear !! seeing as it was only today and i dont spend my life on here it was pretty current at the time:wink:

Glad its all sorted x

I watched the WDU this morning & the only conclusion I can come to is that either the researchers have no idea or it is staged to add to the drama when it comes to property.

The guy, Simon could have got a job for 50k. They had a small budget so they show them 1 dump & two small houses in the suburbs. There are loads of areas within 30 - 40 mins drive from work on the coast that they could afford.

Unlike others on that show, they seemed quite flexible on property. They didn't expect a 4 bed with a pool next to the beach for £200k.

Wasn't this the one where the guy couldn't drive due to his eyesight failing so they had to find a house somewhere fairly near to his work?

Wasn't this the one where the guy couldn't drive due to his eyesight failing so they had to find a house somewhere fairly near to his work?

The one I meant was the one with the car mechanic, his fiancee & son from Wales.

The only one I saw where eyesight was an issue was the physio that went to Melbourne

Archived