Guest wellsfamilyoz
Lived in Cyprus with my family for 6 years when I worked for HMG when it was paradise on earth before all the Lebonese and Russians started to ruin the South. Cyprus sadly now another Mallorca or Ibiza. Along with the continual building of holiday hotels etc that took the magic out of the island. But, sadly that is what they call progress but at least the Republic of Northern Cyprus has not altered that much.

Hi Ameroo

You are certainly right about the Russians in western Cyprus! Northern Cyprus certainly will come again especially Kyrenia - its all politics and more so now that the EU beckons for Turkey. Massive grey area for the divided land that is Nicosia. Time will tell. As this is possibly my last post on this site directly, I would just like to say that although we have not always agreed on subjects over the the past two years, I do appreciate your input born out of experience, which has helped a lot of people information wise. I would like to think that you will look us up in Adelade where you will be most certainly welcome to share beer and a Kangeroo dinner expertly cooked by by wife Kerry:biglaugh:

I sincerely mean that!! I like to think of you as the Jason Gardiner of the POM site.

All things being equal, take care - over and out

Simon - Ice Cream Man

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wellsfamilyoz

Great show today, one of my favourites :yes:

I have obviously missed a post on PIO somewhere along the way regarding why you have opted for Adelaide rather than Brisbane where WDU sent you .. can I ask why the change of heart?

I wish you and your family all the very best with your plans.

Kari :wubclub:

Hi Kari

Got sent to Brissi, but it wasn't our choice. We would have opted for Adelaide or Perth!

Also, when you see yourself on TV, you dont realise how ugly you really are!:biggrin:.

My mother said I had a full head of hair! now I know she was a liar:biglaugh:

All the very best

Simon

PS. Did my bum really look that big:mad:

Guest wellsfamilyoz
Just watched Simon and all - it was great to see a PIO face.

Glad you are still planning to make the move - it definitely looks a good move for you and your family.

Wish you all the best for your time in Cyprus and then Adelaide

Keep in touch with how you get on

Maddie x

Thanx Maddie

You take care

Simon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest wellsfamilyoz

And finally.........

If anybody wants to email us direct on lazydayze@btinternet.com to chew the fat etc --- please feel free - would love to hear from anybody with the dream in their bonnet!!!

Take care all

Simon and family xxxxxxxx

Guest natashahough

Oh wow fantastic I have recorded all the wanted down unders it's so good to see this forum and the outcomes! Goodluck Wellfamilyoz x

Guest destinationoz

Well Done Wells Family for a great show - really interesting! Just a thought - they have the WOMAD music and dance festival in Adelaide (called Womadelaide) - it also happens in UK, canaries etc but it is 3 days of world music, family orientated, world food stalls and green principles - your ice cream carts would work brilliantly at WOMAD!!! Maybe worth checking it out on google?!! One day we hope to go ( we go to the UK one) - we'll buy ice cream from you if we see you there!! Either way - massive good luck to you all - your positive approach will take you far! See ya in Oz in 2012!! (unless you end up staying in Cypress!!!)

Guest BrightonBoys

Simon and Kerry....

Just seen you show..... you live 5 mins down the road from me!!!!!

Great show and I wish you all the best!!!

Kevin xx

Guest MaybeOz

For me the 'Revisited' WDUs are the most useful, I want to see the people who've had the courage to make the move and how they've got on; good and bad.

Phil Down Under next Friday is showing the families that he helped 2 years ago on his first series ... can't wait to see who is still there and how they've got on :yes:

Kari :wubclub:

Guest journeyman

Just caught up with the Wells family episode of WDU...enjoyed it a lot.

Great show , I honestly think your business will go really well 'down under' once you find the right niche and get established over there,....really liked those old bikes/trikes too!,... best of luck to you guys !...

I do wish they'd bring back the cheerful,'Nadia' to present it though, I don't mind Nicki Chapman so much, but she does like to create 'mini-dramas'...:laugh:

Yep Simon I think yours was the best and what a lovely family too. I though how much I would like to have been your wife's friend, she looks so sweet; shame we aren't going to be where you are. I reckon you should get together with the people who run the chip shop and do a full wedding package with F&Cs served as the main course and ice cream as desert.... sorry, cracking up. I felt gutted about your daughter's reaction which brought a tear to my eye - sure she'll be fine when she settles down. And your son shouting at the fly right at "the moment" was brilliant. I wish you all the best.

Hey Lucy!

Thank you to you all for the comments. We felt that it reflected what we did and overall, we were pleased with the show. It was us that came across and the editing was for us rather than against!!!

Now the Tie:biggrin: Its our company uniform and Kerry chose it lol! I have always worried about the pink issue, but having done more than 500 weddings in it, you kinda get used to it:jiggy:.

Just to update everyone - we will be in Adelaide for 2012 - business Visas are a lot tougher than most others in the way that you need to have a block of money and a business set in stone. Turnover is the key plus employment of several staff. All along we have been up against it due to the poor £ versus $ ratio. If you need $300k a year turnover, it is a lot easier if the £ is worth $2 rather than $1.5. I have turned down sponsored work in Melbourne - which would have got us out this month, but I would have had to go back to my old profession - which I hated plus give up the business I love. We don't sell Ice Cream - Just do pre payed private events such as weddings (300 a year) plus corp events etc.

So, this summer we are moving out to Cyprus for a short period - to get the children used to being without family and hot weather etc- then bang 2012 Adelaide. Just cant do this country any longer and we used to live in Cyprus 10 years ago - lovely place. Kerry is doing a Nutritional Therapy degree - which is 99% on line, and when we get to OZ, she will take her next direction. The kids are going to an academy for the time we have out there.

Just like to thank everyone for a really enjoyable forum and have made some great contacts. Good luck to everybody and remember anything is possible, everyone has a choice and fortune favours the brave!!:wink:

So that's us done. If anybody wants an Icycle (our trike) for their event, I will bring it up for a freebee as long as its not to far.

Take care all

Simon, Kerry, Becca and little Ben xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Simon,

Yes for weddings the pink is probably a good colour and will suit bride's to be choice.

Good luck in Adelaide and I wish you all the very best. Enjoy Cyprus, I'm sure you will. My parents lived there a very long time ago(in The 60's) for four years when they were in the RAF. They loved it but it has probably changed a lot since there, it will be sunny so you will be smiling.

Are you saying goodbye for good to this forum? It sounds that way. I do hope you keep us updated on your process when you get to SA next year.

Ok also, if we do end up in SA I will be holding you to that Icycle offer!! I quite fancy a wedding in the sun with your famous trikes!! Pink will also suit me fine. :wink: :biglaugh:

Good luck & all the best. I know you will be successful. :jiggy:

Lucy. :hug:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TheArmChairDetective

BUMP.

Me and the missus have the dreaded lurgy this weekend so we decided to wath through the recordings of this years WDU ReVis. Lovely stuff once you get past N.C. waiving in the aircraft landing..... Anyway, We were watching the Bristow family who were pingponging from UK-Adelaide-Perth-UK-Brisbane and wondered, with all that flooding, if they got to Brisbaner.

Does anyone know please?

Guest SusieOR
BUMP.

Me and the missus have the dreaded lurgy this weekend so we decided to wath through the recordings of this years WDU ReVis. Lovely stuff once you get past N.C. waiving in the aircraft landing..... Anyway, We were watching the Bristow family who were pingponging from UK-Adelaide-Perth-UK-Brisbane and wondered, with all that flooding, if they got to Brisbaner.

Does anyone know please?

I think someone posted about this last month saying that they had seen them over there!!! I think... so as far as I am aware, they made it over... but wouldnt 100%... I will see if I can find the post for you...

Sx

Guest SusieOR
I always like the 're-visited' ones too,in the hope that it's a successful move and that 'they' made a go of it.

One that stood out in my mind was the 'nurse' on her own with two young boys,(from Wales I think ~ not sure which series?),...always hoped it was everything they'd wanted it to be and more.

Did you see the revisited for these last week??? She moved over with her 2 boys & her girlfriend & all seemed to be going well for them... they all looked great...

Guest SusieOR
I think someone posted about this last month saying that they had seen them over there!!! I think... so as far as I am aware, they made it over... but wouldnt 100%... I will see if I can find the post for you...

Sx

Thought I had seen this... check out page 133... see link below...

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/75518-wanted-down-under-133.html

Guest sal 222

hi ..we were on the show last year...and are waiting to hear if they are going to do a re visited - is there going to be another series? We have been here nearly 6 months and over all loving it ...been some ups and downs but i guess there is bound to be. We were the family from Eastbourne - who did the house exchange near byron bay....is there anyone else out there that was in series 4 ( i think) that has made the move???? good to hear from you, sally

• 10 months later...

I love the show, but as with everything on tv you have to take it with a pinch of salt... I always laugh at the property section, because they say lets show so and so what they can afford in Oz and then they show them 3 stunning houses that are £50k to £150k over what they can afford... LOL

It's not put us off and as soon as we sell our house here we'll be off but we are well aware that we will still have a mortgage and won't be living in a fancy new build, so much the same as we live in the UK, but with some sunshine... Can't wait :)

I am with you Redaussies, most of info they give is wrong and soo many people come upto us and say - did you see it. To be honest we have stopped watching it - we applied to be on it but never heard from them. They dont seem to pick people like us who are desperat for that kind of help and advice. And if you dont have one member ofthe family not wanting to go or some drama they wont show you. I am holding onto the dream and you get far more info on sites like this that that programme.

Archived