What would u ship over from the uk if u left again?

Sea breeze

I'd agree with Cal, the only thing I wish we had squeezed into the move cube was the tumble dryer.  We might also have squeezed in the under bench freezer but it was all a bit too fraught at the time. Otherwise, I would probably have brought more than the 35kg of knitting wool I did actually pack into boxes.  I probably wouldn't have brought a whole load of stuff that I actually did because finding a home for it here has proved almost impossible.

38 minutes ago, bicek said:

Can't you get a tumble dryer in Australia? Are they very expensive?

I am wondering whether to bother bringing our washing machine (it's fairly new) but have read they sometimes don't work over there? Has anyone experienced this?

Front loaders used to be very uncommon, but they are much more common now. If it's a decent one I would bring it, especially if you have the travel bolts.

As for driers, my parents have one but rarely use it. Their washing line is under cover, so they can dry clothes outside in winter or summer.

21 hours ago, calNgary said:

My tumble dryer. 

We only brought about 8 large boxes (plus numerous suit cases) when we moved and i gave my nearly new dryer away as i naively thought i wouldn't need it here. Ive kicked myself every winter since arriving,lol

Cal x

You can buy one here you know ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, newjez said:

Front loaders used to be very uncommon, but they are much more common now. If it's a decent one I would bring it, especially if you have the travel bolts.

As for driers, my parents have one but rarely use it. Their washing line is under cover, so they can dry clothes outside in winter or summer.

I've got a 2 in one. Washer and dryer front loader. It is great.

But really i only use the dryer function when it is winter and wet and can't dry stuff on the line. I think separate washer and dryers take up too much space.

Warm clothes, it does get cool/cold here. After the first few winters on the Sunshine Coast when you can’t believe why people aren’t wearing skimpy summer clothes, you definitely start to rug up, and you can pick out the holiday visitors from the locals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

The question was what would you have brought.... I said i gave away a nearly new one and wished i had brought it. 

I never mentioned not being able to get one here,lol

Cal x

You said you kick yourself every winter implying you have not bought a new one. So can't be that big a deal to you or you would have bought one ?

Personally i don't see the point in shipping all that stuff when you can just buy one when you get here.

Edited by Parley

The first time I moved to Australia I arrived with only two suitcases, the second time I moved to Australia I shipped all household items I owned. The main difference was the quality and value of the items I owned the second time, and the cost to replace them.

For me, the question was “it it cheaper to ship the items thAn to replace them?”. The first time the answer was no, so I sold up and moved with nothing (which is liberating but brings other hassles on arrival). The second time it was significantly cheaper to ship everything than to replace them on arrival, so we paid to ship it all. 

• Like 2

Depends a lot on what you spend money on I guess. For me only a few high value items that are kinda luxury lifestyle ones. I'd just buy a tumble dryer for $400!

For example the big Mac screen that is sitting on a desk in our UK house while I have a less aesthetically pleasing Dell one here that I bought. Also the Tacx Neo that is boxed up in my garage in UK has had to be replaced by a second-hand KiCKR here.

I'd also probably have shipped my touring, MTB and TT bike if I knew we were going to be staying. Jeez, you've got me started now - I miss some of my stuff!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

DrDougster makes a good point - take the stuff you're going to miss.  That may not be logical stuff.    For instance, I wish I'd taken my ancient pots and kitchen gadgets (when we moved in the other direction). I thought they weren't worth keeping because they were too old. However I'd forgotten how long it took me to find just the right pan or just the right gadget all those years ago.  Not only was I stunned to find out how much they cost to replace in Australia, but I struggled to find "just the right" one - the range is quite limited these days as every manufacturer seems to make the same stuff.

I also second Ramot on the cold-weather clothing.

Edited by Marisawright

17 hours ago, bicek said:

Can't you get a tumble dryer in Australia? Are they very expensive?

I am wondering whether to bother bringing our washing machine (it's fairly new) but have read they sometimes don't work over there? Has anyone experienced this?

I bought an Electrolux auto reverse dryer a few months back with extended warranty for $700 odd.  

I must admit I stating to think about how to get our stuff into a 20ft rather than a 40t container.  We have a fair amount of nice stuff worth bringing, but you start to doubt things like Ikea sofas and mattresses, beds you don't like that much etc.  Only makes sense though if we then spend the money on nice stuff we want long term on arrival.  I'm not sure how much I am going to want to spend quality stuff in the first year or so, especially before we buy a house.

9 hours ago, Parley said:

You said you kick yourself every winter implying you have not bought a new one. So can't be that big a deal to you or you would have bought one ?

Personally i don't see the point in shipping all that stuff when you can just buy one when you get here.

Why throw away a perfectly good coat that had several years life in it, and then pay $150 for a new one when you arrive?   It all comes down to, "how much will it cost to ship?" 

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I must admit I stating to think about how to get our stuff into a 20ft rather than a 40t container.  We have a fair amount of nice stuff worth bringing, but you start to doubt things like Ikea sofas and mattresses, beds you don't like that much etc.  Only makes sense though if we then spend the money on nice stuff we want long term on arrival.  I'm not sure how much I am going to want to spend quality stuff in the first year or so, especially before we buy a house.

If I were doing it again, I'd ship everything.  

When we went back to the UK a few years ago, the thing that struck me was the time it took to buy a houseful of furniture. Like you, I'd thought it would be a chance to buy nice things. But when you have signed a rental on an unfurnished place, you need a bed, sofa etc right now. So you go around the shops and you discover that most shops don't hold much stock any more - it's all  "just in time" warehousing - so the one you really like has to be ordered, which will take 6-8 weeks, so you end up with the one in stock, in a colour you're not that keen on (and then you're stuck with it for the next x years).   Not to mention the time it takes to order a kitchen full of appliances, utensils, pots, pans etc.

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If I were doing it again, I'd ship everything.  

When we went back to the UK a few years ago, the thing that struck me was the time it took to buy a houseful of furniture. Like you, I'd thought it would be a chance to buy nice things. But when you have signed a rental on an unfurnished place, you need a bed, sofa etc right now. So you go around the shops and you discover that most shops don't hold much stock any more - it's all  "just in time" warehousing - so the one you really like has to be ordered, which will take 6-8 weeks, so you end up with the one in stock, in a colour you're not that keen on (and then you're stuck with it for the next x years).   Not to mention the time it takes to order a kitchen full of appliances, utensils, pots, pans etc.

My first inclination is to ship it all.  If we end up where we need more than half because of a few items I will rethink.

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

If you are already in the process of selling your house, but moving in September, what are you planning to do in the mean time? Go into rental? Will you pack up most your stuff and keep in storage for months before you go? 

I find this bit slightly stressful to time well. We haven't put our house on the market yet but will do in the spring. And trying to time it so we don't have a big gap between selling and moving feels like an impossible task knowing that the time it takes to sell a property here is a total unknown. 

On 31/01/2021 at 10:54, calNgary said:

My tumble dryer. 

We only brought about 8 large boxes (plus numerous suit cases) when we moved and i gave my nearly new dryer away as i naively thought i wouldn't need it here. Ive kicked myself every winter since arriving,lol

Cal x

Interesting. We shipped over our tumble dryer and it’s been sitting in the garage for 8 years not doing anything 😂

12 minutes ago, DT55 said:

Interesting. We shipped over our tumble dryer and it’s been sitting in the garage for 8 years not doing anything 😂

That’s what we thought when we left ours but there have been many days when I’ve missed it - and always when I wash the towels!