AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

It means travel after you got your permanent resident visa. You have to be in Australia 12 months before you apply for the citizenship and should not be absent more than 90 days.If you have stayed more than 90 days you might have to provide police clearance from the country where you lived. Better contact Department of immigration to check your status and your eligibility for citizenship application. They will clarify it to you and give you the exact date when you can apply.

Bugger! I took it as meaning something different. Here is the question as it is posed:

Since the age of 18, has the applicant lived or travelled outside of Australia?Yes

Give details of all countries that the applicant has lived in or travelled to since turning the age of 18,include:

• Work or study outside of Australia

• Holiday or leisure, including visits to the applicants country of origin

• Business

• Military deploymentGive details of the country resided in or visited.

But then subsequently it mentions the need for PCC clearances for any time spent >90 days since the permanent visa was granted

Applicants that are aged 18 years or over are required to provide penal clearance certificates fromoverseas countries for the periods of time since being granted a permanent Australian visa if:• the total time outside Australia added up to 12 months or more, and

• the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days.

The department may request further penal clearance certificates. See Character and Penal Clearance Requirement ( Good character and offences )

I sat my citizenship test today and passed it with 100% :) The questions were really easy and the lady interviewing me was super nice. The send all the paperwork by mail to Cairns regional office and they will then approve it so I don't think I will get the same day approval. Just waiting now for the approval and the letter from the council. :)

Date applied - 4/7/2016

City/Council area - City of Whitehorse (Melbourne)

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 4/7/2016

Date of the Citizenship Test -

Approval letter dated -

Date of ceremony -

Hopefully things start to progress soon. Anyone applied via City of Whitehorse? Any feedback on their timelines? Can't see a lot on this or other recent threads.

The day has come that @sunnyalt and myself have our ceremony in Brisbane. We will make sure to report on the less frequently reported stuff that really matters:

-How many people

-How long did it go for

-What was the process

-Food?

If anyone else has their ceremony in Brisbane tonight please don't be shy and get in touch beforehand.

What a good idea to post about the ceremony itself!

I'll do the same when my partner's ceremony is due in August - South Australia (let see if they do it with 200 applicants in once or split it in 2 ceremonies with 2 consecutive days).

Have a fantastic ceremony tonight and don't forget to report if they provide that obligatory picture of Queen Elizabeth II ;-)

Edited by silencio

I lodged my application with DIBP for citizenship by conferral last week. Since I lived in middle east after grant of PR, I had to provide police check. I uploaded the pcc and attached it to my application.

However, after a week I recevied an email from the department advising me that I ve been scheduled for an interview and will be shortly informed of the date and time. The email also requested for the original police check to be sent to the department.

I posted the pcc and meanwhile received another email for the interview on the same day.

I am wondering any one else has the same experience ?

Hi roland

Congratulation on your application. The turnaround from DIBP is very impressive. Please kindly post your timeline we can all get a clearer time frame and future updates. Cheers. James.

Edited by James Willing

thought id put my timeline up for Sydney folk

Applied online - 1/12/15

Confirmation of Test - 8/12/15

Test - 7/1/16 - Passed

Approval Letter - mid January

Ceremony Invite - April 2016

Ceremony - May 2016

So 6 months from Submitting my application, to singing the anthem at the ceremony. This is east Sydney in Waverley council. I did note that the council chamber ceremonies were overbooked and they used bondi pavilion. maybe a frequent thing from now on as I can only imagine the numbers increasing. good luck to everyone, its a good feeling to pick up that passport!

What a good idea to post about the ceremony itself!

I'll do the same when my partner's ceremony is due in August - South Australia (let see if they do it with 200 applicants in once or split it in 2 ceremonies with 2 consecutive days).

Have a fantastic ceremony tonight and don't forget to report if they provide that obligatory picture of Queen Elizabeth II ;-)

Yeah there was a picture of Lizy in the corner. It was a lovely ceremony. You guys can really look forward to it. Brisbane City Hall was full to the brim. I wouldn't be surprised if it was over 500 people. The queue at the entrance was long, about 30 minutes as we had to pick up our certificates and thereafter straight away had to sign up to the electoral roll. There was no food but a nice gift of a Jacaranda sapling.

And that's it from me, another authentic Australian.

Hi roland

Congratulation on your application. The turnaround from DIBP is very impressive. Please kindly post your timeline we can all get a clearer time frame and future updates. Cheers. James.

Hi James below is my time line and my wife's time line:

lodged : 01 July 2016

online /paper : online

city : Adelaide

acknowledgement email : 01 July 2016

additional docs requested : 08 July 2016

test/interview email received : 08 July 2016

test date : 10 Sep 2016

hi, I attended ceremony on 6/7/2016 at Sunshine Coast but I didn't get certificate b'coz of elections results didn't come.

is someone else in same situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of that happening, but it makes sense. The certificate has to be signed by the minister responsible so you can't have it signed by someone who might not be in office anymore. Not to worry they've sort out who won the election now so I expect it's just a matter of posting you the certificate.

Hi guys. I have my ceremony on saturday and it states on the letter that I can only have 2 guests with me. Are they strict on this or is there a chance I could have more than 2 guests?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I doubt that anyone here can give you a definitive answer for that.

Your local council will be the ones who know how many people the venue can cater for.

Hi guys. I have my ceremony on saturday and it states on the letter that I can only have 2 guests with me. Are they strict on this or is there a chance I could have more than 2 guests?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

That would be up to your local council. However, I assume they make this request so that everyone has the opportunity to bring a couple of friends/family members. I know at my ceremony there certainly wasn't space for applicants to bring more than the specified number. If you call, they'll likely tell you that they only have space for each person to bring two guests. If you simply show up with more people, be prepared for the extras to be refused entry.

Hi everyone!

Do you know if having a research assistant offer from a university in overseas is considered a valid reason for urgent ceremony ?

I went with my son when he had his invite for test to ask his case officer if his case could be changed to urgent. He said no as they do not see a university offer as an urgent case. I even stated that he has deferred it for 12 months already and we don't want him to lose his place. He suggested to go to web site and complete the forms for urgent cases. He added "don't hold your breath"

cheers Janine

Finally the citizenship appointment has been scheduled.

Applied on 28 feb... waited waited waited and waited

Plenty of calls and emails to the department

RECEIVED an email today for the test which will be on 19 Aug 2016

But fortunately managed to scheduled to tomorrow on 19 july 2016.

fingers crossed further step to be a citizen.

best wishes to those who applied..

Finally the citizenship appointment has been scheduled.

Applied on 28 feb... waited waited waited and waited

Plenty of calls and emails to the department

RECEIVED an email today for the test which will be on 19 Aug 2016

But fortunately managed to scheduled to tomorrow on 19 july 2016.

fingers crossed further step to be a citizen.

best wishes to those who applied..

Well done Simran BRAR

goo luck tomorrow.

:wink: