Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

I'll preface this by

(a) reminding everyone that I've moved back from Sydney, which has a different cost of living and lifestyle than, say, Pert or Adelaide or Brisbane and

(b) saying that I'm well aware my feelings are influenced by all the stresses of being a stranger in a strange land (I haven't lived in the UK for 30 years). Who knows, in a few months I may be loving it, but right now I just have to moan to someone and you guys are the only people available!

We've made up our minds we're going to stick it out in England for two years but right now I'm gritting my teeth when I say that. If we hadn't already invested so much money into this, I think we'd both be on the plane to Hobart tomorrow (which was our second choice).

Actually we're shell-shocked by how much money it has cost us so far. I assumed we'd be able to find a furnished flat for the first six months or so, but the standard of furnished flats is just shocking so we've had to take one unfurnished. All I can say is, thank God for Ikea, because the cost of furniture everywhere else is frightening. I'm sure it's frightening in Oz too, it's just that it's ten years since I had to buy any and I had no idea a cheap sofa cost over £500. Not to mention the exorbitant admin fees charged by estate agents (and the 3% extra they charge for overseas debit cards).

We're also finding day-to-day living costly. We've had to change our lifestyle, because in Sydney we're used to eating out once a day - whether it's breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea or dinner. We can't afford that here, it's all too dear. A big part of the problem is alcohol - most restaurants in Sydney are BYO - but food prices are higher as well. We had lunch at Nando's the other day and the meals cost us double what it costs in Sydney. An English breakfast in most cafes here is also double the price. And yes, even Wetherspoon's is expensive by comparison, though some of its specials come close. It's weird because if anything, food prices in the supermarkets seem slightly cheaper.

So suddenly we're sitting in the flat on our own for meals, which doesn't help our feelings of isolation. But hey, we can compensate for that - we're going to have more interesting things to do, like dancing and rambling and going to shows and visiting abbeys and castles, right?

Except I forgot to check the cost of travel. Rail travel is so ridiculously expensive - $100 just to get us to London, a distance no further than the Blue Mountains from Sydney. Locally, there isn't nearly as much going on as I'd expected in a city the size of Southampton.

Buy a car, you say? Everyone here talks about how expensive cars are in Australia but we're finding the second-hand market here just as dear. We can't buy a car equivalent to the one we sold in Sydney for a similar price. I guess we're feeling so poor after all the money we've already spent - and all the hurdles we've had to clear as "foreigners" trying to get bank accounts, leases etc set up - that we can't quite face spending several more thousand pounds on a car, insurance problems etc .

I'm sure it will get better but right now I'm wondering what the hell we've done.

Back to the OP - I'm sure it will get better xxxxx

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bistro/ foodie scene does exist in the UK, BUT not everywhere. We lived in Ramsbottom, north of Manchester. A small town/ big village. Lots of places to eat out and very reasonable too, all a stroll away. Main drawback............just too cold and damp!!

If I moved back I would consider Shrewsbury ( the centre ) for weather and eating out/ culture. Or maybe Lincoln or parts of Kent.

Any reason you chose Southhapmton. Worcester might have been a better choice down there. Good theatre too.

Yes as you say it does indeed exist here but agreed like every country it doesn't exist everywhere.

Shrewsbury is very nice, really like it there.

Did you mean Worcester ? As you said a better choice down there but Worcester is not far south of Birmingham.

As someone who is considering a return to the UK I have had a quick look through the whole thread. It seems that a vital point is being overlooked. I don't think you can really get to the bottom of where is cheaper. There are other factors which come into play. One is the currency you receive your income in and another is where you spend that income. The other factor is the exchange rate. If you are earning big dollars in Perth then spending big money it doesn't make a lot of difference. Likewise if you are earning in pounds and spending in pounds in the UK.

I assume that the OP and her partner are receiving their income in dollars and that this is then being converted to pounds. Unfortunately the exchange rate has gone down for them somewhat over the past few months. If they had gone to the UK last year or even the year before it may have been a different story. And when you are on a fixed income like this you will be constantly converting.

For us it's the other way round. All our income is in pounds and we are spending it in Australia. We find it very expensive. The exchange rate took a dive to around 1.5 dollars to the pound the minute we set foot in Oz. Before that in the planning stage it had been over 2.5. One of the reasons we still haven't bought a house here, let alone furniture etc. If the exchange rate had not started to improve for us we would have been long gone. There are one or two things which are cheaper here. As Seniors we are lucky enough to get free travel in Perth, however, we don't really use public transport that much as we don't fancy hanging around waiting for buses and trains in the heat.

And funnily enough my partner just discovered that Boots moisturiser is now actually cheaper here than in the UK at an exchange rate of 2 dollars to the pound.

I can completely sympathise with the OP. And if the exchange rate goes up (for us) down (for them) it will only get worse for them. It's also difficult to predict what will happen in the future.

You do also have to take into consideration any concessions which Seniors get, both in the UK and Australia as this can make a difference (although they do vary from state to state in Oz and most states seem to be wanting to do away with them.) Prescriptions is a big one for us as we had been getting free prescriptions in the UK, but not here. Also they will have to pay tax on their super income in the UK. We have our state pensions frozen at the level we started drawing them. There is always a risk retiring to another country.

Yes as you say it does indeed exist here but agreed like every country it doesn't exist everywhere.

Shrewsbury is very nice, really like it there.

Did you mean Worcester ? As you said a better choice down there but Worcester is not far south of Birmingham.

Oops no Winchester!

Nah I'm a good judge

Still no answer to my question

'You seem to find fault in most things in Aus

This is my opinion alone and no animals were hurt in the writing of this post lol

I still wish you'd been posting on here from when you were living here'

You didn't ask a question.

As someone who is considering a return to the UK I have had a quick look through the whole thread. It seems that a vital point is being overlooked. I don't think you can really get to the bottom of where is cheaper. There are other factors which come into play. One is the currency you receive your income in and another is where you spend that income. The other factor is the exchange rate. If you are earning big dollars in Perth then spending big money it doesn't make a lot of difference. Likewise if you are earning in pounds and spending in pounds in the UK.

I assume that the OP and her partner are receiving their income in dollars and that this is then being converted to pounds. Unfortunately the exchange rate has gone down for them somewhat over the past few months. If they had gone to the UK last year or even the year before it may have been a different story. And when you are on a fixed income like this you will be constantly converting.

For us it's the other way round. All our income is in pounds and we are spending it in Australia. We find it very expensive. The exchange rate took a dive to around 1.5 dollars to the pound the minute we set foot in Oz. Before that in the planning stage it had been over 2.5. One of the reasons we still haven't bought a house here, let alone furniture etc. If the exchange rate had not started to improve for us we would have been long gone. There are one or two things which are cheaper here. As Seniors we are lucky enough to get free travel in Perth, however, we don't really use public transport that much as we don't fancy hanging around waiting for buses and trains in the heat.

And funnily enough my partner just discovered that Boots moisturiser is now actually cheaper here than in the UK at an exchange rate of 2 dollars to the pound.

I can completely sympathise with the OP. And if the exchange rate goes up (for us) down (for them) it will only get worse for them. It's also difficult to predict what will happen in the future.

You do also have to take into consideration any concessions which Seniors get, both in the UK and Australia as this can make a difference (although they do vary from state to state in Oz and most states seem to be wanting to do away with them.) Prescriptions is a big one for us as we had been getting free prescriptions in the UK, but not here. Also they will have to pay tax on their super income in the UK. We have our state pensions frozen at the level we started drawing them. There is always a risk retiring to another country.

When we retired to Oz 12 years ago, it was $3 to the pd!! and like you our income comes from UK, and as apart from the state pension they are index linked so we have coped ok. Luckily we don't need too much medication, so even though we pay here mine is only $29 per month total so far, so still affordable.

Agree with you you take a risk retiring to a different country, but so far so good.

We came here with no family here and were prepared to stay just for a few years, and move on if it wasn't for us, but as we have been joined unexpectedly by 2 of ours, we have no intention of leaving.

Hope you can manage to stay.

hmmm maybe I did in my head but didn't type it lol

Why did you decide to join this forum when you returned to the UK

Why didn't you post on here when you lived in Australia

Simple question really

Obviously your choice but just seems strange

To be quite honest I had someone else ask me this and I can't understand the fascination. As you say my choice and I don't see it as at all strange, I do find the fascination with my decision quite strange though. The answer to the question is it was my choice to do so, hope that helps.

Thing is people paper over the cracks to try and paint a Rosie picture.. People desperately digging up the odd place here and there which are cheaper than the rest, this I can fully assure you doesn't represent the true cost of Australia..

When you say that, are you really talking about the whole of Australia or just Perth? From the prices I've seen quoted here, it seems like Perth restaurants and cafes are generally far more expensive than the inner Sydney suburbs. I'm finding Southampton much dearer than Dulwich Hill or Marrickville, say.

To be quite honest I had someone else ask me this and I can't understand the fascination. As you say my choice and I don't see it as at all strange, I do find the fascination with my decision quite strange though. The answer to the question is it was my choice to do so, hope that helps.

I'd have thought that Blind Freddy would know that you've been posting on here for yonks under a few other usernames.

Why don't you just admit it, Chris?

Simple question really

Why do you post on here? Someone's experience of Australia is just as baked as yours even if they have returned

Well I've just come back from the UK, and I was using what was in my UK bank to live....

the balance dropped quicker than a whores drawers while there:wink:

still an unique place though:wink:. Lovely on the odd occasion the sun comes out:cool:

Yeah that is the trouble with holidays unfortunately.

For some that bang on about how cheap the UK is, they seem to forget, some of us spend time there, while still living in Aus.

i will admit it was cheaper this year than when I was back last year.

but its not like going from the UK to Spain /Greece years ok, when it was dirt cheap.

from Perth to the UK, re living /expense/food/etc was the same.

The differences that could sway things are elsewhere...

It's a strange land!

Marisa out of interest had you visited the UK regularly over the years before you came?

We had been coming to Brisbane several times a year for the 10 years before we moved here, so sort of knew what to expect, and didn't find many unexpected surprises.

Simple question really

I’m not sure why it’s strange Howard? I have never lived in Aus and have never had any desire to live there either but I’ve been a member of PIO for four years. I was researching a visit when I stumbled across the forum and like many others I lurked for quite a while before joining. I tend to post in areas CTF and MBTTUK as I know nothing about the visa process, but sometimes a thread title will catch my eye and I might venture into other areas.

I don’t really see PIO as ‘just’ an information forum for people moving to Australia, although I guess a lot of posters probably do. For me it’s a place for people with an interest in Australia because they want to live there, or do live there, have lived there, know people who live there……or just like to visit. And PIO has room for everyone I think? T x

@marisawright I sometimes think a return to the UK is more difficult than a move the other way, because a return can be tinged with faded memories that colour expectations to some extent. We successfully relocated in the UK, just a couple of hundred miles but life is very different. I don’t know Southampton, but I am pretty sure that if it doesn’t tick the boxes there are other areas that could better provide the lifestyle you are looking for. Is it possible to treat the summer as a time when you will get out and about to explore?

I do hope things work out for you – all the best. T x

I’m not sure why it’s strange Howard? I have never lived in Aus and have never had any desire to live there either but I’ve been a member of PIO for four years. I was researching a visit when I stumbled across the forum and like many others I lurked for quite a while before joining. I tend to post in areas CTF and MBTTUK as I know nothing about the visa process, but sometimes a thread title will catch my eye and I might venture into other areas.

I don’t really see PIO as ‘just’ an information forum for people moving to Australia, although I guess a lot of posters probably do. For me it’s a place for people with an interest in Australia because they want to live there, or do live there, have lived there, know people who live there……or just like to visit. And PIO has room for everyone I think? T x

I personally don't care, if you are in Aus, coming to Aus , never want to set foot in the place!

your a valued member, a caring member, not out to cause trouble. Take more pleasure in your posts. Yes there is random numpties who post, nobody cares about them. But members like you, we do.

take care lovely xx

• Like 1

Howard is always opining on who should and should not be on PIO, very tiresome, you don't need to justify yourself..