Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

That cafe is up the road from me

I didn't have to dig anything

I only comment on where I live and know

And you forgot to say the cafes stuck between Gold Coast and Brisbane on a freeway.. So not family friendly or easy to get to, paper and crack comes to mind ..

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF if did move back to the UK, other than living in Kirkcudbright or Gatehouse of Fleet, I could easily live in Carlisle. Nice place surrounded by lovely countryside and handy for fast trains to wherever you want to go and decent shops too and still reasonably priced.

IF if did move back to the UK, other than living in Kirkcudbright or Gatehouse of Fleet, I could easily live in Carlisle. Nice place surrounded by lovely countryside and handy for fast trains to wherever you want to go and decent shops too and still reasonably priced.

Yeah I've thought about moving to carlisle before too. I'll tell you where's expensive - places like keswick!

Definitely! When I first went down there one of my bosses was complaining about it. Even the supermarkets are expensive unless you travel to penrith for tescos . There's only a co-op or another place that I've forgotten the name of but it was a bit like M&S. Guernsey was very expensive too, I like to think it might have slightly prepared me for australia lol :laugh:

Definitely! When I first went down there one of my bosses was complaining about it. Even the supermarkets are expensive unless you travel to penrith for tescos . There's only a co-op or another place that I've forgotten the name of but it was a bit like M&S. Guernsey was very expensive too, I like to think it might have slightly prepared me for australia lol :laugh:

All this argy bargy about prices here and prices in the UK - believe me Stacey it's swings and roundabouts - some things dearer here - some cheaper. It will be interesting to hear your point of view once you're here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-GLADIATOR-CAFE/415854808549849

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30176[/ATTACH]

Said cafe and you see the price $4.90

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30175[/ATTACH]

Said breakfast above

I don't tell lies only the truth

not being funnie but I wouldn't feed that anyone not anyone disgustingly rank ! I could vomit looking at it ! How can u eat that I'd rather starve !

All this argy bargy about prices here and prices in the UK - believe me Stacey it's swings and roundabouts - some things dearer here - some cheaper. It will be interesting to hear your point of view once you're here.

Yep! I promise to give a honest review on things lol especially perth

not being funnie but I wouldn't feed that anyone not anyone disgustingly rank ! I could vomit looking at it ! How can u eat that I'd rather starve !

And its a photo taken by the cafe itself which was obviously one of their better efforts :biglaugh:

I wish I lived in the part of the UK where you can buy chicken at £3 a kilo or a steak for £6! The price of a lot of things depends on what quality you like. Yes you can eat out on a budget if you like cheap pub grub..pie & chips(frozen), scampi & chips, lasagne etc and pay less than a tenner, but if you don't want typical pub grub...which to be fair..a lot of pubs do, then you'll pay for it. Average around £13 to £18 for main, £15 for a bottle of wine and this isn't including starters..average £5 to £6 and desert...same again. There are cheap places to eat but they're cheap for a reason. Clothing is cheap if you like to shop at primark, matalan, asda and the like but if you don't...you'll pay for it.

I work in retail and our average price for a skirt/top is around £40ish, dress £55 and men's shirts £50, so comparible to prices in say Country Road in Oz. Imo the quality is worse here for the price and I find this a lot with clothing in the UK unless you pay a lot more. Retail in the UK is suffering and has been for quite a while now. Obviously the weather hasn't helped trade right now. People just don't to seem to be spending and as a lot of shops are offering discounts left right and centre, people don't want to pay full price. They'll wait for sales or the chance a discount may arise...human nature, but unfortunately it effects trade and the knock on effect is reduced hours for staff and job losses. I don't believe the day to day living costs are much different between Oz and UK when you weigh it all up.

One of the things I see crop up a lot is how cheap it is to travel to Europe, flights for £39.99 etc. Not in my experience! If you do manage to get a great deal it usually involves travelling at night, arriving late at night and leaving in the middle of the night to come home. This may be ok if you're retired or not having to worry about work and can afford to spend £600 plus on a couple of nights away.

Lets be realistic about prices in the UK, it's cheap if you like cheap...but you'll pay for quality...simple.

The thought of eating bacon, sausages and black pudding anywhere makes me want to puke. Nasty stuff.

I noticed you didn't say potato scone :wink: Im the same, don't eat bacon anymore. My idea of a cooked breakfast now would be toast, egg and a potato scone. You couldn't pay me to eat black pudding.

I wish I lived in the part of the UK where you can buy chicken at £3 a kilo or a steak for £6! The price of a lot of things depends on what quality you like. Yes you can eat out on a budget if you like cheap pub grub..pie & chips(frozen), scampi & chips, lasagne etc and pay less than a tenner, but if you don't want typical pub grub...which to be fair..a lot of pubs do, then you'll pay for it. Average around £13 to £18 for main, £15 for a bottle of wine and this isn't including starters..average £5 to £6 and desert...same again. There are cheap places to eat but they're cheap for a reason. Clothing is cheap if you like to shop at primark, matalan, asda and the like but if you don't...you'll pay for it.

I work in retail and our average price for a skirt/top is around £40ish, dress £55 and men's shirts £50, so comparible to prices in say Country Road in Oz. Imo the quality is worse here for the price and I find this a lot with clothing in the UK unless you pay a lot more. Retail in the UK is suffering and has been for quite a while now. Obviously the weather hasn't helped trade right now. People just don't to seem to be spending and as a lot of shops are offering discounts left right and centre, people don't want to pay full price. They'll wait for sales or the chance a discount may arise...human nature, but unfortunately it effects trade and the knock on effect is reduced hours for staff and job losses. I don't believe the day to day living costs are much different between Oz and UK when you weigh it all up.

One of the things I see crop up a lot is how cheap it is to travel to Europe, flights for £39.99 etc. Not in my experience! If you do manage to get a great deal it usually involves travelling at night, arriving late at night and leaving in the middle of the night to come home. This may be ok if you're retired or not having to worry about work and can afford to spend £600 plus on a couple of nights away.

Lets be realistic about prices in the UK, it's cheap if you like cheap...but you'll pay for quality...simple.

Never seen much quality cloths in Oz unless you wanted to pay designer prices. eating out was expensive in Oz and the food was very poor value compared to the UK in my opinion. I regularly go abroad and have just had 4 nights in dublin in a 4 star hotel on o'connor street "main city centre road" full english breakfast including return flights for £220 from Birmingham...I have had the same in prague and stockholm at cheaper prices in the last 18 months.

I'll be going to billings gate fish market and Smithfield meat market... Problem solved

Clothes are of a better quality for the money in UK deffo unless you pay designer prices like u say ! Dorothy's Perkins next Wallis all decent quality , for similar price in oz carnt get the quality crap quality ! Next I can get online if they read what size ha put in properly instead of sending two sizes too big lol but next on line on a parr . But I hope I can shut my suit case on tues lol :) I do like walking in all the shops and just getting what I like though :)

Edited by Shellybingobingo

Never seen much quality cloths in Oz unless you wanted to pay designer prices. eating out was expensive in Oz and the food was very poor value compared to the UK in my opinion. I regularly go abroad and have just had 4 nights in dublin in a 4 star hotel on o'connor street "main city centre road" full english breakfast including return flights for £220 from Birmingham...I have had the same in prague and stockholm at cheaper prices in the last 18 months.

Why am I not surprised by your reply!

Clothes are of a better quality for the money in UK deffo unless you pay designer prices like u say ! Dorothy's Perkins next Wallis all decent quality , for similar price in oz carnt get the quality crap quality ! Next I can get online if they read what size ha put in properly instead of sending two sizes too big lol but next on line on a parr . But I hope I can shut my suit case on tues lol :) I do like walking in all the shops and just getting what I like though :)

Agree 100% how anyone can say cloths are better quality in Oz needs specsavers.

It depends what you call decent quality.

It depends what you call decent quality.

Yes what pb said lol :) it is true ! I find ! I have had a few lovely dresses nice quality but paid far more for the in oz than I would for a lipsy dress out of debanams ! But if u go the big designer shops like Chanel ect you will get the quality but Nice price tag but that's same in UK too I'm on about high street:) anyway I'm not that bothered just saying ! People like different things :)

Edited by Shellybingobingo