Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

If you look at my post I did not say food was dearer in the supermarkets, apart from meat - in fact I said it puzzles me, because food isn't more expensive and the minimum wage is lower, so why on earth are restaurants so much dearer?

Again though we aren't finding restaurants to be any dearer, usually cheaper in fact.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter hasn't paid that much for soft drinks Stacey ... perhaps it was an up market or trendy place. She's a student and goes to a place and gets pasta and wine for under $13, we've found a great Thai place that does specials on beer at $6 a pint (usually Gage Rd beer).

If you wanna spend a night in a Thai then great

I've not

I thought you had. Well all I'm saying is that it sometimes seems like no matter what someone says you'll come back with a negative or condescending comment.

To answer your question even though I already said it earlier - I'll break it down to smaller journeys if possible or fly to places that's possible. Depending on money but I've looked at flights quite a few times and I'm okay with most of the prices. A while ago I looked at the cost of perth to sydney one way in time for new year. It was £100. I would be okay with that.

I won't be going anywhere that charges me $12 or 14 for a cola like you said. I don't drink beer either. I actually don't drink much at all so it probably won't be a problem for me. I doubt I'll suddenly turn into a backpacker who wants to drink every single night, too boring and sensible for that.

Yeah I know beer is expensive, I don't have a problem with that but the amount he said for a cola.. No way would I spend that. Luckily I mostly just drink water now

Random question Stacey, just noticed how many posts you've made....37,000! Whow. Do you hope to come over to Australia at some stage ?

I went on the Megabus from Glasgow to London. It was absolute torture. I was actually not well when I got there and then back home. Think in australia Id just have to break longer journeys into smaller ones or just fly.

In the UK trains are crazy expensive, don't really understand why. There's definitely good flight prices if you're flexible on skyscanner. Megabus and national express would be good for smaller journeys or If you are tougher than me with the longer ones!

Rail is so expensive because its run by private companies with monopolies on lines and with no regulation , or at least very little, of their pricing by the govt, it is crazy that booking a through ticket to places is more expensive than booking individual legs of a journey and travel at times to make sense of travelling somewhere for a day out is priced to maximise profit.

Again though we aren't finding restaurants to be any dearer, usually cheaper in fact.

You've said that a few times now in a few threads

We get it you find it to be cheaper in the UK

Really happy for you

Don't forget this thread was about how the OP is finding it back in the UK

It's bound to be difficult for them

Random question Stacey, just noticed how many posts you've made....37,000! Whow. Do you hope to come over to Australia at some stage ?

Yep I talk too much! There used to be a few other people on here that I chatted to loads but they stopped posting as much when they got to Australia. I was unemployed a lot of the time back then so that's my excuse although I'm working now so I should be busier but doesn't always work out that way :laugh: Yeah I'm coming over on a WHV mid November or December or I'll wait till after Australia's summer is over. I have a WHV at the moment but I was supposed to activate it september which I won't be able to afford

You've said that a few times now in a few threads

We get it you find it to be cheaper in the UK

Really happy for you

Don't forget this thread was about how the OP is finding it back in the UK

It's bound to be difficult for them

Why is it any different to you repeating things about where you live, which you do frequently?

Well I said it first so there:cool:

Only things I keep saying about where I live which is Australia is how great the place is and I'm here to help those moving here

You just keep on saying how cheap the UK is

And I will continue to say that the UK is not an expensive place to live, I am living here and can see it every day. You could of course just not read my posts ;)

Just a thought to the op , have you looked in your local classified section of papers at cars for sale ? Usually it's the best place to look . I'm sure you will find a reasonably priced runaround or a couple of years old

unless you want a newbie straight off the forecourt .

Tbh we were over from Perth in October last year and couldn't get over how reasonable most things were .. Saying that we were in the Midlands .

Also anywheres reasonable compared to Perth ??

Just a thought to the op , have you looked in your local classified section of papers at cars for sale ? Usually it's the best place to look . I'm sure you will find a reasonably priced runaround or a couple of years old

Tbh we were over from Perth in October last year and couldn't get over how reasonable most things were .. Saying that we were in the Midlands .

Also anywheres reasonable compared to Perth 

Don't agree Sharon tbh, we were back in Dec and found it on a par and more expensive than the last time we'd visited.

Also anywheres reasonable compared to Perth 

Yep, agree totally. As I said we are living it and seeing it everyday and actually seeing prices of essentials dropping.

I am having a laugh at people saying you can get a full breakfast in Oz for $5 and maybe $10 with a coffee !!!!, never seen anything like that the cheapest Breakfast I have seen is $15 and then add $3.50 to $4.00 on top for your coffee I am in Perth though !!, I do hope you find your feet Marisa, it's all new and it will take time to work out the best places at reasonable prices, good luck to you both x

I am having a laugh at people saying you can get a full breakfast in Oz for $5 and maybe $10 with a coffee !!!!, never seen anything like that the cheapest Breakfast I have seen is $15 and then add $3.50 to $4.00 on top for your coffee I am in Perth though !!, I do hope you find your feet Marisa, it's all new and it will take time to work out the best places at reasonable prices, good luck to you both x

I've seen one for 50c:dull: (with free sauce)

Edited by HappyHeart